Movies you've seen recently

Tale

I had to stop half way through How I live now, I found the main character unbelievably emotionally immature and over dramatic. It reminded me of anime in a sense..

...She's a sixteen year old girl, in the film. Who starts out with anorexia. What the hell were you expecting? Marcel Proust? It's partly what makes it interesting. It's no Red Dawn.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I was expecting her to act like a 16 year old girl with anorexia and not some 30-40 year old writer's teen fantasy.

It all started out all right mind you - but she goes from basically passive aggressively hating the family to this strange extreme love and pretty much sacrificing ever seeing her family again in a manner of minutes. The trek to the mountains emotional montage was sooo over the top that I had to stop the movie.. It felt her development was cliché to the point of caricature. Burning the tickets? come on - who does that?...

Teenagers make idiotic decisions, sure - but they hadn't imo established a realistic way for her to feel soo strong after such a short while.. Their romance development basically consisted of twilight stares and heavy breathing.

Fortune favors the bald.

I'm not sure if the Dark Aster was a regular Kree battleship rather than some kind of unprecedented mega cruiser or such. That's the way I rationalised it, anyway. :lol:

Infinity Stones and stuff from Thanos is what I chalk it up to.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"I love cheese despite the pain and carnage." - ShadySands

Since I'm having trouble moving around this morning, I finally got around to watching Cabin in the Woods. Definitely an entertaining one, with a lot of good performances throughout.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

I had to stop half way through How I live now, I found the main character unbelievably emotionally immature and over dramatic. It reminded me of anime in a sense..

...She's a sixteen year old girl, in the film. Who starts out with anorexia. What the hell were you expecting? Marcel Proust? It's partly what makes it interesting. It's no Red Dawn.

I haven't seen the film yet, but there have been a few pictures of Seersha/Saoirse from the Berlin's Film Festival of last year and OH MY GOD WAS SHE FAT. How did she play an anorexic with those big fat arms of hers? Did she do some diet for the movie? Did the director of photography hide her body a lot?

I so miss her, haven't seen her movies for at least a year now, but I'm afraid of being disappointed by her new fat body or the film's script (IMDb rating not good).

Pls tell me she's not fat in the movie!

Edited by Bester
IE Mod for Pillars of Eternity: link

Since I'm having trouble moving around this morning, I finally got around to watching Cabin in the Woods. Definitely an entertaining one, with a lot of good performances throughout.

Joss Whedon is to be 'blamed' for this. He always brings the same actors from project to project cause they're his friends and they all work great together. This results in an overwhelming number of good performances and you can just see that people on the set are having fun.

Edited by Bester
IE Mod for Pillars of Eternity: link

I'm not sure if the Dark Aster was a regular Kree battleship rather than some kind of unprecedented mega cruiser or such. That's the way I rationalised it, anyway. :lol:

Well the net holds the Dark Astor until Ronan uses his Universal Weapon to break it.  The big gaffe on the Xandarian side was not really having a counterplan against the smaller ships since their smaller ships were caught up using the net.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Selfishly, I kinda hope Nic Cage never gets out of financial trouble so that he has to keep starring in these hilariously awful movies.  His accent in this trailer is

male-chef-kissing-fingers-against-grey-b

Magnifique!

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Maybe I'd watch that, if it didn't have Hayden Christensen.

EDIT: lol, Crusaders? Would make more sense if Cage was superhero Marco Polo or something.

Edited by HoonDing
  • Like 1

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

Well the net holds the Dark Astor until Ronan uses his Universal Weapon to break it. The big gaffe on the Xandarian side was not really having a counterplan against the smaller ships since their smaller ships were caught up using the net.

Hopefully Xandar's pitiful defence leads them to the creation of the worldmind and the superpowered Nova Corps.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Well the net holds the Dark Astor until Ronan uses his Universal Weapon to break it. The big gaffe on the Xandarian side was not really having a counterplan against the smaller ships since their smaller ships were caught up using the net.

Hopefully Xandar's pitiful defence leads them to the creation of the worldmind and the superpowered Nova Corps.

I kinda figured that was what they were setting up to be honest.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

I just watched a new horror movie called Oculus and it was pretty good. It had Karen Gillan(Amy Pond from Doctor Who) in it and it didn't suck. The only distracting thing was Karen trying to fumble with an American accent. Her Scottish accent came through but at the same time it was kinda adorable.

"I saw Man on Fire again the other night. Damn that's a good movie, Denzel Washington's best*."

I agree that was a fantastic movie and definitely one of his top 3.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Blown Away. (1994) Not bad, IMO one of Tommy Lee Jones best performances.  The explosions were pretty weak though, can't stand those Hollywood fireball explosions. Real explosion with nitro look different, way more shockwave, no fire. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L45ldbKfmY4

Wow Hollywood lionized the IRA. Oirish terrorists are obviously good terrorists.

• Like 1

sonsofgygax.JPG

Heh, this review of the new Sin City amused me..

I can't really say that I enjoyed Sin City: A Dame to Kill For, but I paid attention all the way through. This was one of those films which proved objectionable pretty quickly, but which was chock full of visual and structural storytelling techniques I wanted to absorb.

I guess my experience was a little bit like stepping up really close to a painting in order to see the paint rather than the picture.

Regarding the picture: the movie earns its R rating with violence, nudity, language, and drug use. The final line of narration, tells us that Sin City leaves its stain on everyone, and that pretty much summed up my experience.

Regarding the paint: Structurally, it's a neat sort of palindrome. Story A begins, Story B begins, Story C begins and ends, then Story B ends and finally Story A ends. Visually, it is brilliantly composed. We move freely from hyper-realistic black-and-white scenes to heavily stylized silhouette animations, and we cover lots of middle ground as well. Each shot works in very strong support of the story. And as stories go it's horribly dark, and it's never actually happy, but it's powerful and well told.

I saw the 3D version, and I think the 3D added a lot. Looking way up as naked Josh Brolin gets blown through a window, and then tracking him down... well, the 3D really sold that for me.

Sin City: A Dame to Kill For was not really that much fun for me, not in the usual sense, but I reveled in the art. It clears the Threshold of Disappointment, but only barely. I may study stills or scenes from it at some point in the future, but I never actually want to watch it again.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

IIRC the protagonist is an ex-IRA man who redeems himself by becoming a bomb disposal officer.

Let's imagine a movie where an ex-ISIS guy moves to America and becomes a SWAT team guy. All those beheadings are now null and void, I suppose. Hollywood has a rich tradition of viewing the bovine thugs of the IRA as resistance fighters and marquisards. After 9/11 I know more than a few Brits who felt 'now you know what it feels like."

Beantown bars have passed the hat round for 'The Boys' since time immemorial. For many years Americans provided money that murdered British and Irish civilians, to a neo-Marxist terror group.

• Like 1

sonsofgygax.JPG

Well, the protagonist said his bombs never claimed any civilians lives, thats why he is the good guy and the IRA bomb guy who only cared about killing as many people as possible is the bad guy.

If the ''War'' of the IRA was justified or not - debatable, but portraying them as evil incarnated would be wrong. I'm not interested in starting a discussion about this political topic though. 

Edited by Woldan

I gazed at the dead, and for one dark moment I saw a banquet. 

Also in the movie ''The jackal'', in the end the ex-IRA terrorist played by Richard Gere was also the good guy, and very few people had a problem with it. Its easy to forgive movie characters who are trying to redeem themselves through heroic actions for the greater good. 

Edited by Woldan

I gazed at the dead, and for one dark moment I saw a banquet. 

^ I think that rather proves my point. Ex-IRA men are knuckle-dragging street thugs, not dashing espionage paramilitaries. Even Burn Notice had a glamorous ex-IRA 'operative' as the protagonist's girlfriend. Let's not even start on the risible season of Sons of Anarchy set in Ulster.

I could go on. The point is that the IRA tickles the anti-Colonial nut-sack of a certain type of American, and they get too romantically gooey about the idea of the brave IRA, sitting in the woods, sniping at redcoats. Not the psychotic thugs planting bombs in hotels and shopping centres.

• Like 1

sonsofgygax.JPG

I watched Django Unchained. Was pretty fun.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"I love cheese despite the pain and carnage." - ShadySands