RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS

So, apparently Link and Mario are now gay.

Not sure I understand what you mean, links to explain?

So, Nintendo is putting out this silly Tomagotchi Life game for 3DS.  I haven't played it, but it looks all types of weird.  Apparently you couldn't do same sex marriages in the game, so the LGBT Nazi Mafia got the outrage machine going.  Nintendo was all, look, it's just a game, we weren't even thinking about it, we weren't trying to make a social statement.  but by that time the LGBT Nazi Mafia was already throwing rocks at Nintendo and setting their buildings on fire, so Nintendo had Mario and Link french kiss or have butsechs or something.

Note:  I may have exaggerated a tad, but that's the gist of the story.

• Like 2

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

So, Nintendo is putting out this silly Tomagotchi Life game for 3DS.  I haven't played it, but it looks all types of weird.  Apparently you couldn't do same sex marriages in the game, so the LGBT Nazi Mafia got the outrage machine going.  Nintendo was all, look, it's just a game, we weren't even thinking about it, we weren't trying to make a social statement.  but by that time the LGBT Nazi Mafia was already throwing rocks at Nintendo and setting their buildings on fire, so Nintendo had Mario and Link french kiss or have butsechs or something.

That's an interesting story, thanks for explaining :)

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

That's an interesting story, thanks for explaining :)

Glad to help out.  And don't mind my colorful creative license used for dramatic flair, I didn't follow the story closely enough to know exactly how extreme the outrage was, likely it was reasonable, and it was just the media blowing things way out of proportion, as usual.  I'm assuming it went something like this:  I don't think there was any malice on the part of Nintendo, they made a game, they allowed you to marry in the game, and, Japan being a very traditional society, they set the game up so you could only marry someone of the opposite sex, without really giving it much thought.  Some people noticed, some got upset, the media blew everything out of proportion, so, to save face, Nintendo had Mario and Link make out or something.  I'm assuming they'll probably patch in same sex marriage into the game, if they haven't already, which is fine.  

Edited by Keyrock
  • Like 2

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Mario and Link were heterosexual?

• Like 1

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

Talk about being silly for silly's sake. Grownups trying to put grownup issues in children's games. 

As a kid, what did you care? 

• Like 3

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Guest Slinky

Have to say, I would have personally preferred a real spiritual succesor for AC even though I've never played it. This sounds like a just another Civ.

Not like that's a bad thing though, I will buy the game almost certainly, but I just might wait for a complete edition with the inevitable expansion(s) and three billion DLC.

A 'proper' sequel to Alpha Centauri is probably impossible without Brian Reynolds, since essentially all its themes were developed from his personal interest in philosophy. It'd end up being Fallout 3-esque as an exercise in missing the point.

• Like 5

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

Guest Slinky

A 'proper' sequel to Alpha Centauri is probably impossible without Brian Reynolds, since essentially all its themes were developed from his personal interest in philosophy. It'd end up being Fallout 3-esque as an exercise in missing the point.

Well that fixed it, now I'm glad it's not a spiritual successor :p

Have to say, I would have personally preferred a real spiritual succesor for AC even though I've never played it. This sounds like a just another Civ.

Sounds like another CivRev- it is, to paraphrase interview guy #1, faster and more intense, much like George Lucas's directing style. And that's hardly a great comparison to make even for somewhere as banal and hapless as RPS has become, especially when it's pretty obviously a cash grab and reskin of CiV right down to 1upt.

If you really haven't played Alpha Centauri you should. It really is very good.

Guest Slinky

I'm sure it is, but it's just too old for me to enjoy now. AC and Outcast, the two games I really wish I wouldn't have missed back in the day.

1999 ... well that year had quite a few crazy good games, can't blame you for missing out on these two ... unless you missed out on others as well :o

1.13 killed off Ja2.

1999 ... well that year had quite a few crazy good games, can't blame you for missing out on these two ... unless you missed out on others as well :o

Or if he was 10 years old or something like that :)

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

Guest Slinky

Or if he was 10 years old or something like that :)

~15 years old, was a playstation dude back then. I did get all the other games that interested me from that time period after I was enlightened, but unfortunately I found those two too late.

At least they didn't call it Alpha Centauri and it be nothing like it's predecessor, unlike other companies. However can't deny the "it's just Civ 5 in space" doesn't leave me disappointed. Given it's not in space, just an alien world.

Now if Firaxis decided to try and make a 4x space (aka MOO) that would get the excitement juices going. 

cylon_basestar_eye.gif

I'm sure it is, but it's just too old for me to enjoy now. AC and Outcast, the two games I really wish I wouldn't have missed back in the day.

Feh, struggle through the graphics not looking fantastic at least for one game.

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

AC graphics were bad even at the time, but they grew on me. I'm never going to say they're good, but they do stoke the imagination enough and paired with the spartan sound effects are definitely atmospheric.

They must have something since I could never play space 4X games on account of how bland and generic their graphics and world design are. The only one I was ever interested with was Emperor of the Fading Suns, and that's because its backed by a strong setting. 

As for Beyond Earth.. the direction of the game doesn't give much cause for optimism, for us who wanted an AC game. The designers seem to have no idea just why AC was so well regarded (criticizing AC for being "pessimistic", what?) and neither do they possess the depth of though Reynolds brought to the game (the setting material we know so far is very sci-fi... but not very philosophical/thought provoking)...but at least they made it clear from the start that its "Civ in space". Which would be fine if that didn't mean "Civ V in space"...

I'm going to get it, but its likely not going to be what I'd like it to be, so I'll get it when the price drops.

Edited by Drowsy Emperor
  • Like 1

И погибе Српски кнез Лазаре,
И његова сва изгибе војска, 
Седамдесет и седам иљада;
Све је свето и честито било
И миломе Богу приступачно.

Hm I guess they were, benefit of being years behind the curve is I've learned to be impressed with so so graphics :lol:

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Game graphics don't have to push technological boundaries to draw people in. Blizzard is the living proof of that. All their games are graphically mediocre, but they succeed design and gameplay wise so no one cares.

I

Game graphics don't have to push technological boundaries to draw people in. Blizzard is the living proof of that. All their games are graphically mediocre, but they succeed design and gameplay wise so no one cares.

I

Their cut scenes are cutting edge though, so it's not like they disregard graphics.  

In World of Warcraft for example, Blizzard used pretty unimpressive parts to make a pleasing whole. They care about graphics, they do not care to have the ingame graphics be cutting edge - they seem to rather prefer everyone to be able to play the game. Or at least back then. I have no clue how D3 is graphic wise (or any other wise) as it does not interest me.

Back on topic of SpaceCiv. I didn't have much hope and what I had I lost when I read the sentence "f you look back at Alpha Centauri and how it’s a companion to Civ 2, or is it Civ 3? It’s a very good companion to those games but I think what we brought to the table with this game is what we’ve learned in the decade since we made that." It seems they had no understanding of what exactly made Alpha Centauri the game it was and the game that attracted such a dedicated following.

Seems Firaxis is going to devolve into that: making "remakes" of old successes without understanding what those games were. SpaceCiv and Alpha Centauri, XCOM and XCOM (you can enjoy it and even I may play it again, but it is a completly different game from what the franchise was). They see the story, but do not grasp the game.

Edited by melkathi

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

I

Their cut scenes are cutting edge though, so it's not like they disregard graphics.  

That may be so, but they're not in the least representative of the actual game. Its pure advertising