RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-05-13-bound-by-flame-review

Bound by flame has just received a terrible review  by Eurogamer, its put me right off the game. And there are issues in the game around sexism which just makes it worse

I have never wished dead upon a group of people, game journalist are making reconsider my position.

• Like 1
I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Bound by flame has just received a terrible review  by Eurogamer, its put me right off the game. And there are issues in the game around sexism which just makes it worse

I have never wished dead upon a group of people, game journalist are making reconsider my position.

You dislike gaming journalists that much? So how do you  get accurate reviews on games, there must be some gaming websites you trust?

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Guest Slinky

There are no such thing as "accurate" reviews nor websites one can trust blindly, every review is ultimately just a personal opinion. And in case of "professional" reviewers there can also be some other motives than spreading the honest truth behind the stuff they write.

You dislike gaming journalists that much? So how do you  get accurate reviews on games, there must be some gaming websites you trust?

After 2009 when my initial distrust of the video game journalism began (right after massive layoff and complete staff change on Game Informer) I found that I didn't agree with lots of the reviews. Ever since them I treat every game as if it was an investment, I do research, look for the company, see what other games they've made, I look for gameplay trailers. I've played enough games and seen enough movies that I can tell from a glance at a trailer what is going to be; so I know what to expect.

If I wanted to hear about the virtues of having a vagina or a **** up my arse I would look for the most retarded homosexuals and their feminist friends. Fortunately most of the women and gay men in my life seem to be great people (you can never be certain  :shifty: ) Is like an entire group of people who revel on trying to fit the square piece on the round hole have made a crusade out of their struggle, when in reality they're just stupid.

• Like 5
I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

village_idiot.gif

As much as it's become fashionable to browbeat games for their attitude towards women, Bound By Flame's outright sexism really does deserve a mention. The script is littered with "sluts" and "whores" and "concubines", while the scenario insists on placing the ridiculously busty Edwen and the various concubines into costumes that could charitably be described as chilly. It feels like the game was put together by a bunch of grubby and nastily misogynistic teenagers.

Funny how this argument only comes up when the game is not developed by BioWare or CD Projekt.

At least Cyanide/Spiders are self-aware and deliberately poking fun at the female mage's outfit.

Edited by Drudanae
  • Like 5

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

NASA scientists create real Pipboy instead of working on rockets and stuff.  

PipBoy first the vault and finally nuclear rockets.

village_idiot.gif

NASA scientists create real Pipboy instead of working on rockets and stuff.  

PipBoy first the vault and finally nuclear rockets.

I'm pretty sure we already have those, entirely too many, in fact.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Attractive virtual women in revealing attire therefore hatred of women, it just makes logical sense, if you've been abusing solvents for decades.

I don't want to hijack this thread again with another debate that isn't relevant to Random Video Games so I'll make this point and leave it. No one is saying that if you have attractive women in revealing clothes this is a sign of misogyny, this is in fact more around the objectification of women. This is not the same things as a hatred of women

In respects to the game the misogyny is more around how women in the game are constantly referred to. So if you guys are going to utterly dismiss what the Eurogamer article says at least get your facts right about why you object to it. There is a pattern on these forums from some people that the moment certain social issues are raised the same dismissive argument is used without even reading what people are objecting to and this is counterproductive to the principle of understanding why  certain social issues exist and are they valid

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

No, they aren't valid. WAA WAA Men are attracted to hot women in skimpy outfits. Big friggin' deal. Women are attracted to men in skimpy outfits. Big friggin' deal.

\Being attracted to the opposite gender (or same gender for that matter) is not evil. objectivyng anything, or  misogyny, or any other nonsensical term one comes up with. It's nature. Blame god. Blame nature. Blame evolution. Blame the big gang. Blame biology.

Do women who love boy bands, soap operas, male exotic dancers, football players for the butts being in tight uniforms,or Harlequin Romances man haters and objectifying them? COME ON.

• Like 4

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Unrest, a low-profile Kickstarted RPG from yesteryear, is now on Steam,  and it has a release date: June 26

This is probaly the only really low budget, low manpower RPG that I'm interested in (nah, I also pledged to The Diviner, now that I think about it). It is mostly a PS:T style talking game, with some 1-on-1 arcadey combat á la Sid Meier's Pirates. The ancient India setting is refreshing. The chapter-based story offers different protagonists for each chapter, something like the POV's of the Song of Ice and Fire saga. The multi-protagonist story also means that you CAN die an early death, and the story will go on, with the later chapters and the ending slides recognizing the previous actions. It has a reputation system, something like Eternity has as well. It's definitely a risk-taker project, which I approve of. But otherwise the creators have a good grip on scope/features and they progressed well -- only a year after the KS campaign, the game will be out. Art and music is pretty good for a 2-man team.

Don't expect a complicated party-based combat system or vast character customization options, but expect a lot of reactivity and story/characters that make sense.

• Like 1

The Seven Blunders/Roots of Violence: Wealth without work. Pleasure without conscience. Knowledge without character. Commerce without morality. Science without humanity. Worship without sacrifice. Politics without principle. (Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi)

Let's Play the Pools Saga (SSI Gold Box Classics)

Pillows of Enamored Warfare -- The Zen of Nodding

Lets get our facts straight, this is a paragraph from the Eurogamer article:

As much as it's become fashionable to browbeat games for their attitude towards women, Bound By Flame's outright sexism really does deserve a mention. The script is littered with "sluts" and "whores" and "concubines", while the scenario insists on placing the ridiculously busty Edwen and the various concubines into costumes that could charitably be described as chilly. It feels like the game was put together by a bunch of grubby and nastily misogynistic teenagers.

Now either the author is really bad at writing or they're an idiot.

• Like 1

Click-baiting, ahoy!

• Like 1

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Okay I'm missing your point? Who is the bad writer, the gaming journalist or the writers of the game? And if its the gaming journalist why is he a bad writer

John Milton 

Please don't start another sexism discussion, lest my hemorrhoids develop hemorrhoids of their own.

Edited by Drowsy Emperor
  • Like 7

И погибе Српски кнез Лазаре,
И његова сва изгибе војска, 
Седамдесет и седам иљада;
Све је свето и честито било
И миломе Богу приступачно.

Please don't start another sexism discussion, lest my hemorrhoids develop hemorrhoids of their own.

Fair enough, I did say I wasn't going to hijack this thread :)

John Milton 

I wasn't gonna get Bound by Flame, because it's probably just a pathetic attempt at copying Dark Souls, but now I'm going to get it just to vote with my dollar, you know. The game is being harassed by god damn feminists and gay rights activists.

Go boycott cosmetics and dresses, ****. Maybe women should wear a burqa, then they're not objectified, yeah?

MAC_Cosmetics_Before_and_After_by_scream

Fig. 1: cosmetics objectifying women like some nastily misogynistic teenagers.

Edited by Bester
IE Mod for Pillars of Eternity: link

I agree, they're some of the most boring monsters ever devised. Bioware has managed to invent something new that ... hasn't got a single original thing in it. A contradiction there, but true in a way.

И погибе Српски кнез Лазаре,
И његова сва изгибе војска, 
Седамдесет и седам иљада;
Све је свето и честито било
И миломе Богу приступачно.

"I agree, they're some of the most boring monsters ever devised. Bioware has managed to invent something new that ... hasn't got a single original thing in it. A contradiction there, but true in a way."

No.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.