What you did today

Tale

I don't want to criticize you but hear my well-intentioned advice; unless you were walking in the mountains all day long with a seriously heavy backpack or pushing a lawnmower the size of a harvester your tendons should NOT EVER hurt. I suggest doing some weighted leg exercises and cycling to improve your joint and tendon strength. If you have troubles with your joints and tendons at a relatively young age it will turn into a serious problem quick once you get older. 

What I did: nothing is better than cycling up mountains on a hot summer day. Also cycling is a great health indicator, if you can do some really hardcore mountain cycling in really hot weather you're certainly not having any illnesses or health issues. 

I appreciate the concern actually, thank you. :)

It's probably a combination of walking a total of 40+km besides mowing the 1000 square metres of lawn and not doing anything straining for a long time. I'm more concerned if it does continue though.

Woke up from two hours or so of sleep, noticed that the mercury has already climbed over 25C inside. Wish I had ice ready and place a bowl of icewater infront of my tablefan.

• Like 1

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Tomorrow I'm going to a very famous yearly German Beerfest at a prominent German school , so I predict much drinking and eating of good grub.

Eisbein awaits me :dancing:

• Like 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Have'n been able to sleep these last few days. Woke up 4.30 am two days in a row and 5.45 am today. it's no health issue or anything, it's just so hot and it gets bright very early in the morning. I don't mind as long as the great weather keeps up. Been going to work in shots and t-shirt the last few days. If this weather keeps up, no trip outside of the country is needed for another 2 months.

I have gotten two job offers but declined both. Work contract is ending on June 30th, but for some reason, I don't feel stressed about that. I had my boss sign my resignation papers today. Co-workers looked genuinely sad when they saw them in my hand(I could be wrong, though). Ever since I told my bosses a couple of months ago, I have been doing all the crap no one else wants to do. They seem pissed that I am actually doing these things very effectively. My mind is set that I will give it my all until I no longer work there. Even my breaks are at separate times, so I take my breaks on my own. The good part is that my co-workers are supporting. If it weren't for them, I would have left in January. Most of them jokingly call me a betrayer, lol. Someone asked me if I felt good about myself signing those papers.

In short: I don't know how the future will look and for once, I don't care.

joey-don-t-care-o.gif

While that is probably very true, I also can't help but wonder if Hurl accidently left his account open... :p

• Like 4

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Went to Comics-N-Stuff for the 2014 run of She-Hulk, since I'm a savage and sensational Jen fan, now, thanks to this impressive two-part costume-history write-up.

Also, the 2014 Black Widow, because female assassins. 

My first two collections, pretty exciting. 

bw6_zpsd7992775.jpg

sh3_zps0bc3bd23.jpg

Edited by ManifestedISO

All Stop. On Screen.

I'm really enjoying Soule's She-Hulk so far.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

we always found she-hulk... wrong.

"Jennifer Walters, the meek and mousy lawyer cousin of Bruce Banner, was..." is not our words. is marvel's.

so then she gets the hulk gamma blood transfusion and becomes she-hulk. unlike bruce, she doesn't become an imbecile when transformed. she can, starting relative early in the original series, transform at-will.  the thing is, she don't wanna be jennifer walters. she wants to be she-hulk, so she stays big and green 24/7 as a matter of choice. that always bothered us. not that jennifer would wanna be she hulk all the time, but that she transformed physical and emotional after getting a green job. a successful female attorney needs to look like a 7' tall version o' star trek's orion slave girl to gets confidence? 

now, am guessing each writer has done something different with her, so saying "she hulk is..." is a waste o' time. she has been, we expect, a dozen different characters, and perhaps more. the thing is, we never could get over the feeling that there were something wrong with her initial development, so we has never paid much attention to her.

that being said, we only pay small attention to comics with an indefinite run, so she hulk wouldn't be on our reading list anyway. without a fixed story arc, all superhero comics become, at best,  erratic. 

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

In any event, the writing cracks me up.

"Ernst here is apparently a doombot, with instructions to take me back to Latveria if I go against my father's wishes. Honestly, I don't know why I didn't see this coming--my wet nurse; the time Captain America took me on an adventure when I was nine; most of my pets; my first three girlfriends ... doombots, doombots, doombots."

All Stop. On Screen.

Fml.

Came home to see my place smashed. Jewelry and some other things missing. Even my bed is messed up. Called the cops, they've been here. Technicians coming over tomorrow to check out the place. Not expecting them to find whoever did this.

Every time I start to feel like life is good, something comes along and drags me through the dirt.

Fml.

Came home to see my place smashed. Jewelry and some other things missing. Even my bed is messed up. Called the cops, they've been here. Technicians coming over tomorrow to check out the place. Not expecting them to find whoever did this.

Every time I start to feel like life is good, something comes along and drags me through the dirt.

That genuinely sucks. Sorry to hear that. Hope they catch the SOB.

No crazy ex-girlfriends in the picture is there? 

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Cut approx 1000m² of grass with my scythe because lawnmowers are for pussies. Cutting grass with a big scythe is exhausting and it feels like swinging a sword on a battlefield.

Sorry to hear that, but believe it or not you were lucky. If you had been at home during the break-in things could have ended badly for you. Edited by Woldan
  • Like 1

I gazed at the dead, and for one dark moment I saw a banquet. 

You may have heard of the latest shooting in the US in Isla Vista near UC Santa Barbara where I'm graduating from pretty soon. Thankfully, I as well as most everyone I know were home for the Memorial Day weekend and the ones who were still there at about the time of the shooting are okay. 

Going to be a rough couple of days when we get back, and can't help but feel that my couch burning experience will be a somber afair.

“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

Thanks guys.

I do have an insurance. The ex- girlfriend isn't crazy.

They didn't actually steal any of the computers, ipad or consoles. They were clearly looking for stuff they could put in their pockets. I say "their", because the way the place looks, it can't be only one person. They also did this while I was gone for two hours. Someone must have know I was gone. Funny thing is that I decided in the last minute to go watch the CL final at a friends house.

The fact that things were stole is annoying. The fact that my privacy was invaded like this is unfuriating. Even my underwear, they had to go through.

Oh well. Best not get hung up on this and move on.

Going to get some sleep. Haven't slept all night, and my eyes are telling me that I should sleep now.

• Like 2

Thanks guys.

I do have an insurance. The ex- girlfriend isn't crazy.

They didn't actually steal any of the computers, ipad or consoles. They were clearly looking for stuff they could put in their pockets. I say "their", because the way the place looks, it can't be only one person. They also did this while I was gone for two hours. Someone must have know I was gone. Funny thing is that I decided in the last minute to go watch the CL final at a friends house.

The fact that things were stole is annoying. The fact that my privacy was invaded like this is unfuriating. Even my underwear, they had to go through.

Oh well. Best not get hung up on this and move on.

Going to get some sleep. Haven't slept all night, and my eyes are telling me that I should sleep now.

Ugh, that happened to me when I was in early teens. Still, when I open the door, especially after having been gone for a while, I find I am bracing myself...

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

Man, nowhere is safe. Corporal punishment for thieving, I say. 

Saw the UCSB insanity all over the news here ... christ wtf. Ten different crime scenes in one place. Glad you escaped at least. Still no confirmation if it was the Sheriffs or himself that capped that nutbag.

All Stop. On Screen.

Work and classes and more work....

Maybe should fit sleep in there somewhere but... I suppose sleeping at work wouldn't be ok (I tend to sit at the desk at the airport for quite a while).

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Went cycling and almost had an accident. Went into a right hand turn with about 60 km/h and for some unknown reason (blackout) forgot to lift the right pedal. The pedal dug into the asphalt and my bike threw me off like a wild horse. I managed to land on my feet and decelerate from 60 to 0 without falling and injuring myself which I think is a pretty amazing feat - falling from a bike at 60 km/h usually results in pretty nasty injuries. (guess how I know)

I still don't know how I did it.  :blink:

• Like 1

You clearly must have had a guardian angel or something breathing down your neck. I'm very glad you survived that split-second ordeal! :)

Labadal: That's awful! It really seems to be a case of someone keeping track of your whereabouts and then grasping the first opportunity. Still, they seem to be pretty stupid. All your computers could have been set on recording or be linked to cameras. Had they been pros, they would taken them just to be on the safe side. I'm glad you weren't there when the intruders entered your place.

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

Went cycling and almost had an accident. Went into a right hand turn with about 60 km/h and for some unknown reason (blackout) forgot to lift the right pedal. The pedal dug into the asphalt and my bike threw me off like a wild horse. I managed to land on my feet and decelerate from 60 to 0 without falling and injuring myself which I think is a pretty amazing feat - falling from a bike at 60 km/h usually results in pretty nasty injuries. (guess how I know)

I still don't know how I did it.  :blink:

Happened to me once. I didn't land on my feet, but amazingly, no serious injuries. My back hurt for a couple of hours and that was it. I flew off the bike like you sometimes see in movies. My brother was with me that day. I scared the crap out of him, but when he saw me lying on the ground laughing, he couldn't help himself from laughing, too.

• Like 1

You clearly must have had a guardian angel or something breathing down your neck. I'm very glad you survived that split-second ordeal! :)

Thanks, but I give myself all the credit, I spend lots of time and energy on improving myself and staying healthy, my reward is a tough, efficient body that is hard to destroy. 

I'm sure the angels up there have better things to do than to care about puny mortals like me. Always remember that the only being you can depend on is yourself. ;)

Edited by Woldan
  • Like 2

Absolutely. Your being in such a good shape certainly helped in putting the odds slightly more in your favour. However, I was referring to that ever present contingency of bad luck, which certainly reaps souls regardless of fitness, health, wealth, social standing, kindness, goodness or whatever you can come up with. And let's face it: luck was on your side. You just helped it along a little. :)

Edited by IndiraLightfoot
  • Like 2

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***