RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS

Edit: Oh, and read my post. You are, yet again, summoning your crap strawman army.

There is just a smidge, a touch, a soupçon, of strawman in your pronouncements- or perhaps hyperbole and overexposure to the Daily Mail Headline Generator. To whit:

University professors... university professors never change. All of them need to lose tenure and spend a year working for a living.

Irony is, of course, that if the university professors took a break from their risible gender war they'd see lots of women in history who are documented and did do incredible things (and outside of the grindingly dull chapters of 'Social History' too).

My ire is aimed at hang-wringing professors who would rather meta-game history and feminism than actually teach.

I've been exposed to an awful lot of university professors and the number of times I've ended up in or even heard gender wars arguments I could count on the fingers of one hand. A hand that had had a terminal argument with a band saw, a blender and a vat of concentrated hydrofluoric acid.

Some university professors are most definitively annoying but not because they're disproportionately preachy on social issues.

Much as Bruce is annoying if you insist on taking him seriously you're doing exactly the same thing he is doing, just from the reverse direction.

• Like 1

Did it ever occur to you that maybe accurate representation of  gender equality is part of the teaching process?

Depending on what class you are teaching! There is no room for anything but hard cold facts in a history class.

I don't know, I appreciated some warm, informed analogies in one of my American history courses. He strictly avoided commentary, or judgment, as well as rote recitation, but I was able to remember many more facts because of it. 

All Stop. On Screen.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Did it ever occur to you that maybe accurate representation of gender equality is part of the teaching process?

Depending on what class you are teaching! There is no room for anything but hard cold facts in a history class.

I don't know, I appreciated some warm, informed analogies in one of my American history courses. He strictly avoided commentary, or judgment, as well as rote recitation, but I was able to remember many more facts because of it.

I also think alternate/counterfactual history is useful as well. Exploring what could have happened helps you appreciate the importance of what did happen.

• Like 1
The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Whoa, for a second there I thought I had been redirected to Way Off-Topic.

For all the grand strategy fans out there (yeah, all two of you, including me), Paradox has decided to cancel East vs West - A Hearts of Iron Game. Damn shame, one of the few upcoming games I genuinely had any interest in playing this year.

*starts building a bridge*

Edited by 213374U

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

Whoa, for a second there I thought I had been redirected to Way Off-Topic.

For all the grand strategy fans out there (yeah, all two of you, including me), Paradox has decided to cancel East vs West - A Hearts of Iron Game. Damn shame, one of the few upcoming games I genuinely had any interest in playing this year.

*starts building a bridge*

While I wasn't interested, I know the pain, having been eagerly anticipatig Magna Mundi before its cancellation under similar circumstances.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Alien: Isolation developer commentary.

Well, they're certainly saying all the right things.

While I'm very keen on better AI in games and getting rid of patterns that make the AI predictable, I don;t think it's going to help much in making a game scary, The first few hours sure, but after that I bet reloads and frustration will replace predictable patterns.   

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.

While I'm very keen on better AI in games and getting rid of patterns that make the AI predictable, I don;t think it's going to help much in making a game scary, The first few hours sure, but after that I bet reloads and frustration will replace predictable patterns.   

Maybe, but I'd still rather have a game where I'm nervously (virtually) clutching my trusty motion tracker and getting ready to run like crazy at the first sign of Xenomorph rather than splattering wave after wave of mindless Xenomorphs with a machine gun, because the latter certainly isn't scary.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.

Certainly an interesting idea and a welcome change of pace from the standard "Murica, **** Yeah! *brofist*" that's the vast majority of games about war.

• Like 2

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Maybe, but I'd still rather have a game where I'm nervously (virtually) clutching my trusty motion tracker and getting ready to run like crazy at the first sign of Xenomorph rather than splattering wave after wave of mindless Xenomorphs with a machine gun, because the latter certainly isn't scary.

I do agree with all of that, it could and hopefully will make for a wonderful game. But I'd think as far as making something scary, that hand-crafted scares tent to have slightly longer life because at least they're different from each other and possibly more likely to scare the player  where-as when the AI is hunting you, you are going to get a feel for it eventually and there's a real risk of doing that before the game ends. If it's too good, you die a lot and he's not a monster he's just a jerk. If he's too easy, screw him he's a pushover. If he's actually pretty level with you he's a good hide and seek partner but how many times can you do the whole 'hiding in the closet, oh no I've done this too often so now he's onto me' thing before you become dulled to that experience? Perhaps I'm wrong though, it's not like many horror games have had good AI or are like this so I don't have a lot of experience to draw from. It just doesn't seem like, on that specific point of making Isolation a scary game, that it can work out anywhere near as well as they suggest in the marketing. 

I guess my ideal Aliens game would be to have a more linear FPS where you're fighting a level full of intelligent xenomorphs that react to the player's behaviour rather than a survival horror. I know it sounds like I've picked a point to bash Isolation with and that's not what I was getting at, Isolation looks and sounds promising I was just picking at something for the sake of discussion.

Edited by Serrano

^^ Sounds like you're more interested in an Aliens game whereas I'm more interested in an Alien game.

I also prefer Alien over Aliens! :)

If you missed this KS Keyrock, give it a try when it comes out, it sure looks the part so far:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/bischoff/stasis-2d-isometric-scifi-horror-adventure-game

• Like 2

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

^^ Sounds like you're more interested in an Aliens game whereas I'm more interested in an Alien game.

I also prefer Alien over Aliens! :)

If you missed this KS Keyrock, give it a try when it comes out, it sure looks the part so far:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/bischoff/stasis-2d-isometric-scifi-horror-adventure-game

Yeah, Stasis looks pretty doggone good.  Also, SOMA looks like it will be quite freaky.

Edited by Keyrock
  • Like 1

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸