What are you playing now

Rosbjerg

rockpapershotgun's 1st several hours impression article made me laugh, tho, re: some of the tortured dialogue.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/02/07/hands-on-the-first-few-hours-of-elder-scrolls-online/

Were these encounters, these play-lets, of any interest, this would likely be pretty enticing. But instead it’s all bluster, people telling you how utterly important everything is, because the Grand High Priest Of Cliffaffle Poplington has sworn his enmity to the Wolf Queen Of Qqqqqqqb, which will likely cause the Ancient God Robert to rise from the Tombs Of Fort Backalick, raising the terrifying forces of BasingStoke. As hard as I try to concentrate on what they’re saying, not only my eyes but my entire brain glazes over, until I realise they’ve all stopped speaking and the little arrow on the map has moved one building over. Actually, I needn’t make up my own barely-parodied versions – here’s a genuine sentence from the game:

“The ritual tore the veil between Nirn and Oblivion, allowing Mannimarco to begin stealing the souls his master needed to power the Dark Anchors and initiate the Planemeld.”

Well, NDA is still up, so can't really say much. But gotta agree with the RPS article. Maybe it picks up after, at least Bester seems to like it. If I get another invite I might force myself past the early bit and maybe my opinion will change.

I played it a bit past the opening area for Dark Elves to the beginning of the second area and made it to level 17 or so. A lot of people seem to like it and that's all that matters I guess but for me it was just so boring. Pretty but boring.

I believe I said it before but I'm not a big ES fan and I usually have the same problem of getting really bored in those games but I was hoping that the MMO elements would make it more engaging for me. Different strokes and all that

Free games updated 3/4/21

Despite a couple hours of attempts now and then, I still can't focus on gaming, in general. I guess I'm just saving myself up for Pillars of Eternity...

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Like every ES game ever, there is some good and some bad.  That quote sounds ridiculous when taken out of the context of the overarching plot.  I played through something similar on one of the early islands, and the setup for the confrontation with the big bad guy was pretty well done.  

That's the same article where the guy complains about John Cleese portraying a mad bard.  He lost all credibility at that point with me.

I can't speak to whether such "fits" into the game in ESO or not, but I did find the article funny simply on the basis that so many games do have rather pretentious sounding bits of dialogue and/or names, regardless of whether it works or not. :)

As to Cleese ... well, not everyone likes the Cleese schtick, which I can understand even if I don't agree with it.

Rust has more features. Also, it's made by the guy(s) behind Garry's Mod, if that tells you anything. A lot of people swear by Rust and put down DayZ. Personally I don't like how Rust is shaping up, but I'm biased, I've spent hundreds of hours playing DayZ, there's no switching sides for me now

It's interesting how people (including me) so often feel like they can only play one, sometimes. Graphically I think I found DayZ more appealing for some reason, but that's just from the screenshots, which can be misleading. I think more importantly, for me, would be the player community. eg, if I can't even get a chr. off the ground because people are camping spawn points or something, that's no fun. They should at least wait until I'm rooting around in a cabin near the spawn point. ;)
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

DayZ...Every decision matters, there are no save games, no extra lives, every mistake can be lethal. If you fail, you lose everything and you need to play again from the beginning with nothing but your wits, and your two hands.

So what happens when you turn off the game? Back to the beginning?

Still playing through ME3.  While Aria's DLC does seem to lack in dialogue and roleplay moments, I do actually enjoy the overall atmosphere.  Brings me back to ME2 and all the stuff associated with trekking around Omega.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

DayZ...Every decision matters, there are no save games, no extra lives, every mistake can be lethal. If you fail, you lose everything and you need to play again from the beginning with nothing but your wits, and your two hands.

I am also interested in this question, I assume you can obviously logout and there isn't a "beginning" as its a persistent world but where would you respawn when you log back into the world if you logged out in area x would you appear back there

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Graphically I think I found DayZ more appealing for some reason, but that's just from the screenshots, which can be misleading. I think more importantly, for me, would be the player community. eg, if I can't even get a chr. off the ground because people are camping spawn points or something, that's no fun. They should at least wait until I'm rooting around in a cabin near the spawn point. ;)

People don't camp spawn points, at least most don't. instead they camp popular locations. the problem with DayZ is that people are so used to shooting other players on sight it's nigh impossible to communicate with others because they'll kill you before you even have a chance to speak, just to be safe.

The game saves all info about your character every 10 seconds or so, so if you disconnect you'll pop in at the same spot you were last

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

Guys I have a confession to make, I started playing Deus Ex and only lasted 2 days or so. I did use some mods that enhanced the graphics and High Resolution but I still couldn't quite get into it. Now I consider myself a "hardcore" RPG fan so I always felt I had to play this game that is often on peoples  top10 list of games. So I ended up questioning why I wasn't enjoying it and basically forcing myself to play the game to experience what others have experienced.

But then I realized something obvious, I'm a "hardcore"  fantasy RPG fan..not a cyberpunk or sci-fi or whatever you classify the Deus Ex genre as. I have no problems playing dated fantasy games. I feel much better about myself now and will still play the latest Deus Ex but I'll skip the older ones and I think that's fine

So I started on Metro Last Light :)

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I tried to play it when the game was 10 years newer than it is now and couldn't get past Liberty Island, so yeah, that's my admission.

:lol:

That's as far as I also got

John Milton 

People don't camp spawn points, at least most don't. instead they camp popular locations.

That wasn't my main impression from reading the Steam user-review quotes and some review/articles. But I'll take your word over theirs, since I know you better. Probably just some bad apples, like in any such game. The shooting on sight I also read about, which ultimately isn't surprising in such a game and I'm ok with that, as long as I know that's likely the general thing to expect/be wary of.

Also, what are these popular pk locations (or what makes them popular), so I can at least attempt to mostly avoid them if I decide to try the game? :p eg, store locations, repeatable resource locations, or something? Hopefully if I played at 2am it wouldn't be too bad all the time.

I tried to play it when the game was 10 years newer than it is now and couldn't get past Liberty Island, so yeah, that's my admission.

Exactly same happened to me the first time I played the game, stopped playing before finishing the first level as it really didn't seem like much and wondered why the game was so praised. Year or two passed and I continued seeing constant praise until I had to go back to it to see the hell is up with it.

Now the game is pretty much in my top 5 games of all times permanently. It really is one of the best games ever and you really should give it another chance unless the genre isn't your thing.

Exactly same happened to me the first time I played the game, stopped playing before finishing the first level as it really didn't seem like much and wondered why the game was so praised. Year or two passed and I continued seeing constant praise until I had to go back to it to see the hell is up with it.

Now the game is pretty much in my top 5 games of all times permanently. It really is one of the best games ever and you really should give it another chance unless the genre isn't your thing.

That's an interesting post and I'll keep that in mind, but I do think this is about the whole genre enjoyment :)

John Milton 

Hm, well I would say that while Liberty Island does showcase the multiple paths through a "level" as it were, it doesn't really offer much of a glimpse at the storyline or does much beyond a very basic introduction of a few character in the game. So whether that's an aspect to consider?

• Like 1

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Also, what are these popular pk locations (or what makes them popular), so I can at least attempt to mostly avoid them if I decide to try the game? :p eg, store locations, repeatable resource locations, or something? Hopefully if I played at 2am it wouldn't be too bad all the time.

Most of these places are military bases where you can find military grade equipment. Most people run there straight from the spawn point. It's highly likely that you'll encounter somebody while looting these. One other popular touristic location is the city of Electrozavodsk. It has many buildings that are rich with loot, medical supplies etc. So if people want to get stocked on supplies as fast as possible this is one of the best locations (also has military grade equipment in two buildings). Plus, one of the spawn points (which are random) is near this town.

Another big town that has two spawn points is Berezino. Always people looting it, military base to the north of it as well.

You could go deeper into the country to avoid most encounters. The problem is there's not much to do in the game aside from looking for rare equipment and shooting people to save yourself. You'll get bored soon if you play it in its current state. It is very "alpha". But the same thing applies to Rust to an extent, not much to do except for building bases and hogging equipment.

The thing with spawn points is: there are no weapons to be found at them. So if you wanted to camp people you'd have to go find a weapon and ammo for it, then come back and wait for newly spawned players to appear. That's just too stupid for most people to even consider. 

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

At the moment I find myself enraptured by Warframe. In the weeks I've played it I've managed to get to Mastery Rank Six, thereby unlocking the gamebreaking Soma.

Also, given that it is a free-to-play game, I'm pleasantly surprised it hasn't been invaded by Brazilians who can't speak English yet.

“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling