RAnDoM VidEO GAmE NeWS

LadyCrimson

What happened to year 2000? Did all women beam over to Venus that year without me noticing?

Y2K happened.  All the computers rose up and started killing people and burning down houses.  It took the entire year and countless lives to put down the rebellion of the machines.  Don't you remember?

No, I was 15 at the time, I've suppressed those years memories - I'll take your word for it.

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

What happened to year 2000? Did all women beam over to Venus that year without me noticing?

2000 was the year Dave Barry is from Mars and Venus came out on paperback. It was a confusing time for everybody.

040715246.jpeg

• Like 1

You see, ever since the whole Doritos Locos Tacos thing, Taco Bell thinks they can do whatever they want.

Maybe someone find this useful.

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2013/11/updated-privacy-policy-outlines-xbox-one-kinect-data-protections/

Updated data protections policy for Kinect in 360 and 180.

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

How much of a difference were you expecting/hoping for?

Enough to warrant a 400€ pricetag.

Why would you expect a crossgen game to be a system seller? It's like judging the PS3 on Marvel Ultimate Alliance.
  • Like 2
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Not really gaming related, but really interesting article about possibility of new type of malware.

http://arstechnica.com/security/2013/10/meet-badbios-the-mysterious-mac-and-pc-malware-that-jumps-airgaps/

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

Not really gaming related, but really interesting article about possibility of new type of malware.

http://arstechnica.com/security/2013/10/meet-badbios-the-mysterious-mac-and-pc-malware-that-jumps-airgaps/

Ruiu posited another theory that sounds like something from the screenplay of a post-apocalyptic movie: "badBIOS," as Ruiu dubbed the malware, has the ability to use high-frequency transmissions passed between computer speakers and microphones to bridge airgaps.

Haha, wow. In the future, the best anti-virus is to blindfold, earmuff and gag the computer. Better own a shotgun too.

^^^^ I remain skeptical about the reality of that one. You'd need an audio exploit on the remote system to break in, and the audio components would need to support ultrasonic transmission and reception.

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

^^^^ I remain skeptical about the reality of that one. You'd need an audio exploit on the remote system to break in, and the audio components would need to support ultrasonic transmission and reception.

Yeah.

Here's another perspective: http://nakedsecurity.sophos.com/2013/11/01/the-badbios-virus-that-jumps-airgaps-and-takes-over-your-firmware-whats-the-story/

Yeah.

Here's another perspective: http://nakedsecurity.sophos.com/2013/11/01/the-badbios-virus-that-jumps-airgaps-and-takes-over-your-firmware-whats-the-story/

I got infected by the BadBios a few years back, real nasty piece of work. Had to replace the entire motherboard.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

I smell something rotten and disgusting 

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=709124

From a post in that thread;

As we discussed a couple threads ago this is purely to mimic the porting and memory allocations that are available in the next gen consoles without having to do anything with the actual engine. It is a useless limit for sure.

I think that the sales of RAM modules will spike this month, rather than CoD sales going down. But I'm just guessing.

Edited by Azdeus
  • Like 1

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

>to mimic the porting and memory allocations

What's that supposed to mean? Games don't handle memory allocation, your OS does.

Games can have their own built in memory management systems actually.  It can really help with things like memory fragmentation and the like (more of a concern on the consoles than on the PC, however.  On Eclipse we had a memory manager called the Small Block Allocator that dealt with the requests for very small amounts of memory and the like.  So while the OS goes "Oh you want a 4 MB memory block? Okay."  Internally, we work with that 4 MB memory block in a way that the OS is oblivious to because as far as the OS is concerned, it handed us a chunk of memory and it's ours to do with what we want.

For DAO and DA2, it was pretty much required to prevent excessive memory fragmentation (if you have 100MB of memory but your largest block is 5 MB, you'll fail a memory request for 6MB which typically results in a crash).

Whether or not this is genuinely the issue with Ghosts I'm pretty oblivious to (for obvious reasons), but games definitely do handle their own memory allocations from time to time (there may also be potential performance optimizations depending on the level of control the software may exert on how it structures its memory).

• Like 1

>to mimic the porting and memory allocations

What's that supposed to mean? Games don't handle memory allocation, your OS does.

Games can have their own built in memory management systems actually.  It can really help with things like memory fragmentation and the like (more of a concern on the consoles than on the PC, however.  On Eclipse we had a memory manager called the Small Block Allocator that dealt with the requests for very small amounts of memory and the like.  So while the OS goes "Oh you want a 4 MB memory block? Okay."  Internally, we work with that 4 MB memory block in a way that the OS is oblivious to because as far as the OS is concerned, it handed us a chunk of memory and it's ours to do with what we want.

For DAO and DA2, it was pretty much required to prevent excessive memory fragmentation (if you have 100MB of memory but your largest block is 5 MB, you'll fail a memory request for 6MB which typically results in a crash).

Whether or not this is genuinely the issue with Ghosts I'm pretty oblivious to (for obvious reasons), but games definitely do handle their own memory allocations from time to time (there may also be potential performance optimizations depending on the level of control the software may exert on how it structures its memory).

I don't know that what I've seen from CoD warrants the usage of so much memory, graphics wise it seems the same as the rest of the MW games. My guess is that it will have 300 particle effects running simultaneously with post processing shaders up the bazoo throughout a 100 scripted sequences; I'm just glad they managed to put in the gameplay among all that.  

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

I don't know that what I've seen from CoD warrants the usage of so much memory, graphics wise it seems the same as the rest of the MW games.

I haven't played the game and can't really quantify whether or not there is or is not any good reason for the memory requirement.  I was just responding to the comment regarding memory allocation.

6 GB does seem like a very, very large buffer.  The only reasoning I could think of is if the game is very particular on the memory being grouped together in large chunks, but it's really beyond my expertise at this point.  I don't know if there's a good reason for that number.

Edited by alanschu

modernjournalism.jpg

Is it acceptable to think all four look like ****?

• Like 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

modernjournalism.jpg

Isn't that picture misleading as all those pictures are acceptable in gaming journalism, as there has been written article after article if those are wanted or unwanted content in the games. And there isn't any opinion that is absolute dominant with gaming journalist or gaming media about subject. And nobody has lost their job because of any article that deal with any of them and even devs that made games with them have their jobs still and there is no demand of their resignation.

So to me that picture looks like something from fox news, story with invented facts so that they can report "news" that support their world view.

Edited by Elerond
  • Like 1

Thanks Alan! :)

modernjournalism.jpg

Isn't that picture misleading as all those pictures are acceptable in gaming journalism, as there has been written article after article if those are wanted or unwanted content in the games. And there isn't any opinion that is absolute dominant with gaming journalist or gaming media about subject. And nobody has lost their job because of any article that deal with any of them and even devs that made games with them have their jobs still and there is no demand of their resignation.

So to me that picture looks like something from fox news, story with invented facts so that they can report "news" that support their world view.

Elizabeth's cleavage has been drastically reduced because of feminazi "critique" just before release. The new Tomb Raider has lost all sexiness, cleavage and whatnot, and now looks like Ellen Page. These tendencies propagate on journalism and have a very defined source.

IE Mod for Pillars of Eternity: link

https://revolution.co.uk/news/2013/11/05/broken-sword-5-release-4th-december/

Dec 4th release date for the Broken Sword game.

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra