Dragon Age: Inquisition

Gorth

Except DA2 sold millions of copies and despite loud whining has a ton of people who like it while AP bombed in every meaningful way and is liked by  an extremly tiny minority. 

DA3 is coming. Where is AP2? 'Nough said.

By the same logic, Skyrim is better than all Bioware games compined. Deal with it.

I liked how in a previous post you said that what others think doesn't matter to you, and then you say that sales are measure of quality. Be consistent at least.

And Twitcher2 was "better" than DA2 as well. They sold the same(by now W2 propably more), but DA2 hurt Bioware's reputation and made people hesitant about the fransise, while W2(which i don't liked) skyrocked CDP reputation,was criticaly acclaimed, and made Twicher 3 and Cyberpunk two of the most anticipated RPGs right now.

Instead of CPR rpgs to be compaired to Bio's to see if they measure up, every journalist and their audience compaires DA:I to the Witcher3, and find it equal at best, lacking most of the time.

Finally got around to buying DA2 this spring ($7.00 off Amazon) and found it to be a worthwhile purchase. 

On paper, DA2 and DA:O are virtually identical, but DA2 pared virtually everything back. 

The characters were good enough -- liked some, disliked others, was surprised by one, but didn't feel any of them were compelling enough to even make the effort to reload when one of them ended up leaving the roster, to see if a different dialogue option would have made them stick around. The joinable NPCs were easily the best part of the game.... which is actually part of the problem.  They're too obviously the best part of the game.

The overall justification for Hawke was virtually non-existent.  Champion of Kirkwall didn't seem to mean anything to the setting, it certainly didn't mean anything to the gameplay, and if anything, I'd say Hawke himself could have been replaced by some other character who simply happened to be in the right place at the right time.  The overarching story of DA:O at least had a point, something to work toward.  Can't say the same for DA2, which turned out to be an exercise in quest fulfillment until there were no more entries in my quest log.  Still, there were enough world-scale events going on that I'm glad I played the game.  I doubt there'll be any repercussions in the next game, but it's good to have "experienced" the start of the mage-templar conflict, and to have "seen" what red lyrium does to a body.

Combat in the two games... again, on paper, virtually identical.  Subtle changes only, some of which would never even show up in any preview.  But those changes meant the difference between me playing through one game many, many times with many, many different characters, on all but the easiest difficulty setting (DA:O), and me playing through the other game precisely once with my favourite character class, while bumping the difficulty down to Easy halfway through simply to get the fights out of the way as fast as I could (DA2).  More importantly for BioWare, those changes meant the difference between me buying every major piece of DLC there was for Origins (Witch Hunt, Stone Prisoner, Warden's Keep, Golems of Amgarrak, Leliana's Song, Return to Ostagar, and even the Darkspawn Chronicles) vs. me not even looking to see what else was available for DA2.

On paper, DA:I seems to be hitting the right notes with much of what they're talking about.  There haven't been any huge, glaringly red flags, at least, not the way there were with DA2's development.  Maybe they're just hiding them better this time around.

Will wait and see just how much Awesome! makes it into this iteration of the DA franchise before taking the plunge.  I would have seriously regretted buying DA2 at full price, I know that much.

• Like 1

Except DA2 sold millions of copies and despite loud whining has a ton of people who like it while AP bombed in every meaningful way and is liked by  an extremly tiny minority. 

DA3 is coming. Where is AP2? 'Nough said.

Justin Bieber sells a lot of records. 'Nough said.

• Like 4
I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

So let's review this history, here. EA acquires BioWare, and then all of a sudden the franchise takes a huge dump, and most of that is squarely based upon the much shorter development time the second time around.  Is the consumer supposed to think this isn't a coincidence?  Maybe it is, but can you blame a person for being skeptical?

You missed a part in the chronology though. EA acquires BioWare and then all of a sudden DAO finally ships. Sure you can look at that and get upset because they also helped push forth the console versions (which is defintely a risk mitigation maneuver).

Again, I don't understand what you are getting at here.

You blame EA for DA2, yet forget that they made DA:O possible in the first place, I assume.

I figured that's what he meant, I just don't get the relevance.  Let's face it, by the time EA had bought BioWare the game had already been in development for several years.  So the only thing you can give EA credit for is their money.  Which, as I understand certain posters here, means they should be given a free pass for everything because of glorious, glorious capitalism.

I've made my thoughts known on DA2, but I played the game for sixty hours and so more than recouped my expenses, thus it fulfilled its main purpose.

This is a touch too sensible for my tastes.

I love how on the one hand, games are art and BioWare are artists and they have heart and soul and they really know how to write characters that speak to you, and they are transformative experiences!!! But on the other hand, I guess if you do some voodoo demon-nerd-wizard algebra sorcery and divide up your life into discrete parts of time and equate them into a dollar amount then all that other stuff doesn't matter because hey, you got your money's worth didn't you? Sheesh, what more do you people want?!?

Edited by decado

I simply felt no need to re-iterate my various complaints about DA2 Decado, which were spelled out in the first of these threads, link ahoy:

http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/64006-dragon-age-inquisition/page-6?do=findComment&comment=1344974

As you can see, they're rather scathing, but even so I must admit that I did get my moneys worth from the product. I will freely admit that I can be overly analytical at times however, a failing I am somewhat proud of for my sins.

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

Let's face it, by the time EA had bought BioWare the game had already been in development for several years.

I'm just curious how far along Dragon Age was when EA bought BioWare?

Somewhat further along compared to when Bono bought it.

Edit: Sometimes I forget how 'linear' time functions.

• Like 1
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

If I recall, Dragon Age was announced in spring (May?) 2004 and Elevation bought BioWare in 2005. They were sold to EA right after ME was released in 2007.

I wonder if the doctors have already squandered all their cash in booze yet?

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

"By the same logic, Skyrim is better than all Bioware games compined. Deal with it.

I liked how in a previous post you said that what others think doesn't matter to you, and then you say that sales are measure of quality. Be consistent at least."

You obviously don't know how to read.  A certain someone claimed that AP was more liked and more popualr than DA2. I told him no and gave reasons why he was wrong. Being popular doesn't equal good. Never claimed that. Skyrim is definitely more popualr than DA2. I'd never deny that. That doesn't make it better. Just like KOTOR is more popular than FO but that doesn't make KOTOR better than FO. Capiche?

Don't be ignorant.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

You obviously don't know how to read.  A certain someone claimed that AP was more liked and more popualr than DA2. I told him no and gave reasons why he was wrong. Being popular doesn't equal good.

Nope. He said that AP was the same quality as DA2. you disagreed, and when Alan said that the 2 games are compairable you brought sales as evidence that DA2 is a better game than AP.

No one spoke about popularity as it is irrelevant. If you think that popular doesn't equal good, then we are in agreement.

But AP >Witcher2>DA2. At least for me.

Edited by Malekith
  • Like 1

Did EA also murder your father? I can see an amusing buddy-Jihad movie starring you and Kaine.

Kaine and decado's Amazing Jihad?

• Like 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

So people, any new info on DA:I? Any words on threesomes? Can we roleplay with our babies this time around and most importantly can qunari PC romance all the companions(some freaky qunari on dwarf action)?

Edited by Sarex
  • Like 1

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

"No one spoke about popularity as it is irrelevant."

"but is still able to garner its dedicated following of fans."

'Nough said.

I win again. :)

Edited by Volourn
  • Like 1

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

So people, any new info on DA:I? Any words on threesomes? Can we roleplay with our babies this time around and most importantly can qunari PC romance all the companions(some freaky qunari on dwarf action)?

The only romance is mandatory, and it is a broodmother.

Creature-Broodmother.jpg

Hawt.

• Like 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

The only romance is mandatory, and it is a broodmother.

-snip-

Hawt.

:Drool:

These and other pressing questions are no doubt being discussed on the forums.

We need those answers man, those are must haves for me!

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

"The only romance is mandatory, and it is a broodmother."

Not as HOT as the Awakening one. :D

But the one in the picture is a Dwarven broodmother. Awakening had a human.
  • Like 1
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."