Dragon Age: Inquisition

Gorth

It's sort of already happened, albeit in an extremely telegraphed way. But still, I liked having the "option" for the non-standard game over, which is a refreshing change over having three options leading to the exact same result. I mean I just started Honest Hearts and had an ....incident that short circuited the whole DLC. I reloaded, natch, but still, I like the option of being able to live with it. I wish there were options to short-circuit the base game too, and legitimise the ending with the closing slides and all that. I mean the gate's already there in the Mojave outpost, just make it interactable - make "screw this, I'm going home" a valid ending.

Starting to feel I'm in the wrong thread, but I think I've ODed on that game in the last few days. Steam says 66 hours in the last two weeks, but that's heavily, heavily backloaded.

Edited by Humanoid

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Alan, did you know you were quoted in this article?

http://www.examiner.com/article/dragon-age-3-inquisition-developer-responds-to-release-date-speculation

Unless BioWare's got two Alanschu's working for them, you're famous!

• Like 1

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

I also was quoted once by them sharing the secret of DA3's success (make a good game) as well.

I didn't realize that I was quoted again, though I try to avoid clicking on those links because I'm not really a fan of that sort of stuff.

Stating that DAI's release date is not affected by when a PAX show will be isn't really newsworthy, in my opinion.

Yeah, you should stay away from the Bioware forums (and just tell *us* everything you know) ;)

• Like 3

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

I also was quoted once by them sharing the secret of DA3's success (make a good game) as well.

I didn't realize that I was quoted again, though I try to avoid clicking on those links because I'm not really a fan of that sort of stuff.

Stating that DAI's release date is not affected by when a PAX show will be isn't really newsworthy, in my opinion.

Alan now that you are famous don't forget your friends. When the hot groupies start throwing themselves at you at computer conventions remember who stood by you and Bioware through the months of condemnation..it was me ...it was me !!!

I don't expect much, maybe a penthouse apartment in Toronto...oh and I don't believe that old saying that says " you can't buy love" ...at least I think you should make a really good attempt to try before we dismiss that statement :dancing:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Fine; we won't quote you, just tell us: How is everyone feeling at the studios? Is morale high? It is usually at this juncture when everyone either knows that the game is going to be good or bad and react accordingly.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

I wonder how much differently their games would sell if they announced they would remove or downplay romances. They should at least try to do something interesting with it - have one of the romanceable companions turn out to be a succubus/incubus in disguise, with the love-making scene resulting in a game over.

You mean JUST like Morinth in ME2? :facepalm:

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

http://kotaku.com/30-minutes-of-very-pretty-dragon-age-inquisition-foota-1462885108

30 minutes of gameplay

looks like a mix of dragon age 2 and dragons dogma.  I'm guessing it will end up better than the former, but not as good as the latter.

edit: i know its early, but the world space looks too big with not enough to do, and the two handed sword combat animation lacks the oomph/impact that the animations in dragons dogma had (then again, capcom animators are some of the best in the video game world imo)

Edited by entrerix

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

"Combat intensive" - *sigh*

While I think it'd be great if we went away from this too, the legacy of BioWare's games has always been very combat intensive.

If I had'nt associated "combat intensive" with the arcadey style of combat myself, I would'nt have as much of a problem with it. I get push A for Awesome vibes.

I much preferred DAO's slower style.

And DAO not hideous artstyle. It was plain, perhaps, but you could look upon it without disdain.

Edited by Azdeus
  • Like 4

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

http://kotaku.com/30-minutes-of-very-pretty-dragon-age-inquisition-foota-1462885108

30 minutes of gameplay

looks like a mix of dragon age 2 and dragons dogma.  I'm guessing it will end up better than the former, but not as good as the latter.

edit: i know its early, but the world space looks too big with not enough to do, and the two handed sword combat animation lacks the oomph/impact that the animations in dragons dogma had (then again, capcom animators are some of the best in the video game world imo)

To be fair, it is a pre-Alpha build, right?

sonsofgygax.JPG

30 minutes of gameplay

To be fair, it is a pre-Alpha build, right?

I know exactly what you really mean Monte, you wondering where are the relationships and romance options. I was thinking the same thing but this is more about combat than the exciting interpersonal party interaction that we will see in DA:I...so don't get disheartened :wub:

• Like 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Controls look like they're very much built around a controller.  It would be nice if they built a separate control scheme for PC, but I'm not holding my breath

Can you elaborate?

EDIT: Feel free to take this to the DAI thread.

Everything is being done via radial menus, which is the en vogue method of dealing with the controller (lack of) buttons conundrum.  For PC I would like to be able to assign hotkeys to abilities, which would be simple enough, but I also need a toolbar of some kind on the screen, not so much to click on the abilities with the mouse (though that would be welcome too), but so that I can be reminded as to which hotkey corresponds to which power (I can't be bothered to memorize 48 hotkeys [12 hotkeys X 4 characters]).

"Combat intensive" - *sigh*

While I think it'd be great if we went away from this too, the legacy of BioWare's games has always been very combat intensive.

If I had'nt associated "combat intensive" with the arcadey style of combat myself, I would'nt have as much of a problem with it. I get push A for Awesome vibes.

I much preferred DAO's slower style.

Agreed.  My hopes for DA3 combat are (in order of preference):

1) Slower, tactical, DA:O-style combat

2) Screw tactical, go full-on action RPG, KoA:R-style combat

Sadly, it seems they're trying to marry tactical RPG and action RPG combat again.  It looks very much like DA2 combat.

Still, the game is a long way away and maybe I'm looking at it wrong and it will turn out great.  I hope it does.

Edited by Keyrock
  • Like 4

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

I have thought about that myself. I'd love it if there was a young and sweet romanceable character, who's innocence factor goes through the roof to drive all the lonely manchilds mental... only to find out she has a highly contagious and fatal STD after you finally got to bed with her!

Aww man, the maelstrom of rage that would cause would keep me entertained for weeks!

You need to buy the new and improved Wasteland and have sex with one of the prostitutes in that game..  :dancing:

• Like 1

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Combat is not bad in and of it self, but this action button mashing stuff is really annoying. It's like they want to keep one foot in the old style and the other in the new style. All that does is make the combat mediocre, because you know what the best of the old combat looks like and what the best of the new looks like, the different styles are holding each other back. I know bioware is trying to make a hybrid if you will, but from what I have seen(DA2) it isn't going so well for them.

Edited by Sarex
  • Like 1

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

30 minutes of gameplay

"Bigger than all of Dragon Age 2"

Be still my beating heart.

On the other hand game looks good.

Edit: anyone knows anything about the possibility of hybrid specialization or how is that going to work?

ReEdit: On an unrelated note, I'm kind of saddened by what passes for journalism these days. They couldn't get a correspondent to the event instead they just rely on a poorly shoot video that was probably shoot from a camera phone.

Edited by Orogun01
  • Like 1
I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

After not expecting a party based isometric rpg anymore, I feel like the footage they have shown has looked alright. If this is alpha stage footage, that's not bad at all. I'll probably end up buying this after some player impressions. I only hope the writing is better than their last two or three games. I'm not expecting a masterpiece, but an improvement would be good.

The mage abilities looked quite fun, so might roll with one because I rolled a rogue in the first and a warrior in the second. Hope specializations are back this time. (Not a big deal even if I liked having the option in Origins.)

i think at this point the DA series would be better off if they went full action game and didnt try to shoehorn "tactical" play into it as well.  i agree with the above comments that the two styles are holding eachother back.

the tactical combat of DAO was clearly a mistake in the eyes of bioware, so they should just embrace the dark side and make an amazing open world action/rpg like dragons dogma or dark souls or something

that being said... i wish we had more tactical rpg's to play, but wasteland 2 and project eternity will be out soon enough so i guess that'll be enough for me for a while

edit:  i wonder if the hardcore bioware fans were polled, which combat style would be preffered: rtwp or full-on action game

on these boards, rtwp is, i think, the preferred style.  i myself prefer turnbased first, and then full action as a second. I never thought rtwp was the best solution for game combat

Edited by entrerix
  • Like 3

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

Everything is being done via radial menus, which is the en vogue method of dealing with the controller (lack of) buttons conundrum.  For PC I would like to be able to assign hotkeys to abilities, which would be simple enough, but I also need a toolbar of some kind on the screen, not so much to click on the abilities with the mouse (though that would be welcome too), but so that I can be reminded as to which hotkey corresponds to which power (I can't be bothered to memorize 48 hotkeys [12 hotkeys X 4 characters]).

That's fair.  The game was played with a controller for the demo and while rudimentary PC controls exist (you can WASD and interact with things and whatnot), there will still be a PC GUI.  If/when the interface is done and shown I'll post it here (if I remember >.>).

Not sure what the plans are for the full PC interface though so I can't say what will/will not be in there (but I'd be surprised if a quickbar didn't exist as our last two games had them).

• Like 2

Everything is being done via radial menus, which is the en vogue method of dealing with the controller (lack of) buttons conundrum.  For PC I would like to be able to assign hotkeys to abilities, which would be simple enough, but I also need a toolbar of some kind on the screen, not so much to click on the abilities with the mouse (though that would be welcome too), but so that I can be reminded as to which hotkey corresponds to which power (I can't be bothered to memorize 48 hotkeys [12 hotkeys X 4 characters]).

That's fair.  The game was played with a controller for the demo and while rudimentary PC controls exist (you can WASD and interact with things and whatnot), there will still be a PC GUI.  If/when the interface is done and shown I'll post it here (if I remember >.>).

Not sure what the plans are for the full PC interface though so I can't say what will/will not be in there (but I'd be surprised if a quickbar didn't exist as our last two games had them).

Excellent.  Thanks, Alan.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks