RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS

LadyCrimson

I need to play the first one before I attempt the sequel

They talked about switching from <horrific Microsoft "service" that shall not be named> to Steamworks for Dark Souls before <horrific Microsoft "service" that shall not be named> officially bites the dust.  When that happens I may scoop it up myself, as <horrific Microsoft "service" that shall not be named> is the main reason I've not gotten it yet.

Thanks for the reminder, I will have to pick up a Euro retail release* before Games For Windows LIVE gets replaced by <horrendous Valve service that shall not be named> since I don't want to suffer through the broken offline mode, forced patching, broken updates, noxious social features and all the rest it entails.

Though of course while every problem with Games For Windows LIVE is due to MS being evil and incompetent, every problem with <Valve's unreliable shovelware trojan adware malware ate my cat and burnt my house down, Games For Windows LIVE never did that etc etc> is, of course, due to user error and incompetence rather than it being a badly coded kludgy monstrosity and tool of oppression.

Never had a problem with Games for Windows LIVE, personally, as it's basically ignorable.

*Or not, I don't have any real intention to upgrade my computer and have plenty of games to play already.

• Like 1

Deep Down looks awesome.  I've said it before and I'll say it again, the more games like dark souls and dragons dogma the better

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

Thanks for the reminder, I will have to pick up a Euro retail release* before Games For Windows LIVE gets replaced by <horrendous Valve service that shall not be named> since I don't want to suffer through the broken offline mode, forced patching, broken updates, noxious social features and all the rest it entails.

Though of course while every problem with Games For Windows LIVE is due to MS being evil and incompetent, every problem with <Valve's unreliable shovelware trojan adware malware ate my cat and burnt my house down, Games For Windows LIVE never did that etc etc> is, of course, due to user error and incompetence rather than it being a badly coded kludgy monstrosity and tool of oppression.

Never had a problem with Games for Windows LIVE, personally, as it's basically ignorable.

The fact that Steam hasn't worked fine for you and GFWL, through some bizarre magic, has (even though it's messed with my saves, mic settings, broken my games, broken its own installation, forced updates in full-screen, yadda yadda yadda) worked alright, does not give you an excuse to be such an excaggerating drama queen

There is a reason GFWL gets a lot of flak compared to Origin, Uplay, and most other publisher and developer DRM solutions. It is the crap de la crap. If it worked well, either as service or a program, Microsoft would hold on to it, wouldn't they?

Edited by Nordicus

every once in a while i find out someone hasn't been able to get steam to work properly on their system.

it always bums me out because that means said person is probably paying way too much for their video games.

• Like 1

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

for freeeee???? man, anyone who has ps+ and hasn't played dark arisen needs to get on that!

The fact that Steam hasn't worked fine for you and GFWL, through some bizarre magic, has (even though it's messed with my saves, mic settings, broken my games, broken its own installation, forced updates in full-screen, yadda yadda yadda) worked alright, does not give you an excuse to be such an excaggerating drama queen

I never need an excuse to be an exaggerating drama queen, it comes naturally.

Keyrock has fun with the GFWL hate, I have fun with the steam hate with a dollop of the 50% response you get if you have a problem with steam ("works fine for me"; other 50% is variations on PEBKAM/ your computer sucks or it ain't a bug! you're supposed to shut down everything in your system tray manually before rebooting your computer! ).

And you do seem... somewhat upset that I have had no problems with GFWL.

There is a reason GFWL gets a lot of flak compared to Origin, Uplay, and most other publisher and developer DRM solutions. It is the crap de la crap. If it worked well, either as service or a program, Microsoft would hold on to it, wouldn't they?

Meh, not great examples. Origin has got a lot of crap for stuff that was simply incorrect pure and simple (and works fine for me, hope this doesn't offend anyone), and I'd say that Always Online Uplay had a worse rep than GFWL when it was still a thing. I don't like any client on principle anyway, but at I can tolerate them if they're ignorable. Since I can blow through my monthly bandwidth cap in about 30 minutes steam's tendency to reset its offline and  'do not update' settings randomly would be a fundamental killer, even if I didn't dislike it for other reasons.

Don't care about GFWL shutting down much, one unnecessary Exploit Extend Extinguish Seattleite client down, one to go. MS will inevitably replace it with Windows Store or On3on8 or something anyway, probably under the guise of whatever they're calling trusted computing these days; since it should be free money for them.

• Like 1

GFWL was just never very easy to use for me.  It was clunky and ran poorly.  To be fair, Steam was the same way when it came out, but they've tinkered with it and it is much better.  But mostly I just don't want to have to go through multiple services.  

GFWL has never given me any major issues, I logon and it works?

Same as Steam. To be honest with all these online DRM systems the only one that has been problematic is Uplay and that has only been slightly problematic where once I couldn't logon for 4 hours once. Guess I've been lucky :)

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Looking at a list of GFWL games, I only have two, and one of them, Fallout 3, I don't even remember it being there (maybe it wasn't in my copy?). The other, Street Fighter 4, I dismissed ignored whatever it wanted me to do and just played normally.

I played very little of both games, admittedly.

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

GFWL: Required for games, not available in my country. Is there a notification for this on the game's box? Of course not.

So eff that system.

There was some tiny fine print ont he back of the boxes that supposedly explained the big "Games for Windows Live" label on the front. The boxed copies were clearly labeled as being GFWL. What was not clearly written was what that actually means. It was, in tiny fine print and then, on later boxes, slightly larger tiny fine print noted that the service was not available in all countries.

In that it was far more clearly labeled than Steamworks on boxed copies that required it. At least early on. I accidentally bough Dawn of War 2 back then without knowing it would force me to download Steam and have me on a two day waiting list for downloading and playing a game I owned a physical copy of ;)

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

And you do seem... somewhat upset that I have had no problems with GFWL.

That I do not, my problem is that while you seem to hate Steam and/or Valve with a passion strong enough to let us know in a noticeable chunk of you posts, you use the same "Oh but GFWL works fine FOR ME, Steam is the spawn of money-grubbing satan" anecdote that you hate when used in reverse.

Meh, not great examples. Origin has got a lot of crap for stuff that was simply incorrect pure and simple (and works fine for me, hope this doesn't offend anyone), and I'd say that Always Online Uplay had a worse rep than GFWL when it was still a thing. I don't like any client on principle anyway, but at I can tolerate them if they're ignorable. Since I can blow through my monthly bandwidth cap in about 30 minutes steam's tendency to reset its offline and 'do not update' settings randomly would be a fundamental killer, even if I didn't dislike it for other reasons.

That is admittedly a real issue if that's actually what happened to you recently. Though you can still limit Steam's download rate to 16 kb/s, and Steam also does not download anything when you're in-game (so you can just play your steam game and then log out immediately after use) so you might want talk to you internet provider about your 28MB data cap, you're getting shafted sooooooo hard.

I'd agree that the always-online version of Uplay was way more hated than GFWL. There were FFXIV RR levels of "servers bursting into flames" whenever a new game was released

Don't care about GFWL shutting down much, one unnecessary Exploit Extend Extinguish Seattleite client down, one to go. MS will inevitably replace it with Windows Store or On3on8 or something anyway, probably under the guise of whatever they're calling trusted computing these days; since it should be free money for them.

This cycle will just continue if it's nothing but a name change. If it's something more substantial, then it's still Microsoft thinking GFWL is a piece of **** and they'd rather completely dump it and leave a lot of games in broken condition afterwards, rather than improve it until it becomes industry standard. Apparently the former is less hassle. Edited by Nordicus

GFWL: Required for games, not available in my country. Is there a notification for this on the game's box? Of course not.

So eff that system.

There was some tiny fine print ont he back of the boxes that supposedly explained the big "Games for Windows Live" label on the front. The boxed copies were clearly labeled as being GFWL. What was not clearly written was what that actually means. It was, in tiny fine print and then, on later boxes, slightly larger tiny fine print noted that the service was not available in all countries.

In that it was far more clearly labeled than Steamworks on boxed copies that required it. At least early on. I accidentally bough Dawn of War 2 back then without knowing it would force me to download Steam and have me on a two day waiting list for downloading and playing a game I owned a physical copy of ;)

I didn't mention Steam, did I? Though Steam at least got better with time. GFWL is still crap. Now it's just available in my country crap.

I didn't mention Steam, did I? Though Steam at least got better with time. GFWL is still crap. Now it's just available in my country crap.

You didn't. I did. We are allowed to do that you know, bring new things into a discussion ;)

It was an observation, as I checked the various GFWL boxes on my shelf for the dsclaimers and came upon one that had both the GFWL and Steam one.

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

You didn't. I did. We are allowed to do that you know, bring new things into a discussion ;)

Yes, and we are allowed to laugh at you when you miss the point of my post and derail it into a Steam comparison, then start handing out condencending winks.

But hey, you're the Master of Communication, amirite?

Yes, and we are allowed to laugh at you when you miss the point of my post and derail it into a Steam comparison, then start handing out condencending winks.

Did someone by any chance get out of the wrong side of bed this morning :p

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Did someone by any chance get out of the wrong side of bed this morning :p

Past 4 days actually.