Non-romance dynamics in games

Caught this games blog just now. Raises some -admittedly sleepy - questions about why some successful games use a father-daughter relationship to 'activate' engagement with the characters, and why they seem to work better than romantic ones. Also if there is a dynamic caused by more gamers being female than ever.

Personally I think they work in the abstract Bioshock sense (as she says), but Fallout 3's dad was one of the least compelling ones I ever encountered. I hated that guy for being a weird freak, and trying to run my life.

Which now I think about it is quite realistic.

• Like 1

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Nah, nothing beats Isabela in her pirate boots. That's REAL relationship dynamics :wowey:

• Like 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Father/daughter dynamic seems to be popular recently. Nier/Walking Dead/Last of Us, okay that's all that comes to mind off the top of my head.

It's probably some combination of the developers getting older and coming into their own families, but also the audience doing the same.

• Like 1
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

I don't have a daughter so if you put a 3d model in front of me and tell me it's my daughter, well then I'll see you in court bitch!

Seriously though, unless they are willing to put massive cutscenes where they establish that relationship (all through which I will be wondering when do I get to the gameplay) I probably won't find it believable. It will kind of be like the kids from Inception where I'm told by the protagonist that they are his main motivation but I spend the rest of my live wondering if they where real.

• Like 7
I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

I don't have a daughter so if you put a 3d model in front of me and tell me it's my daughter, well then I'll see you in court bitch!

Seriously though, unless they are willing to put massive cutscenes where they establish that relationship (all through which I will be wondering when do I get to the gameplay) I probably won't find it believable. It will kind of be like the kids from Inception where I'm told by the protagonist that they are his main motivation but I spend the rest of my live wondering if they where real.

Two of the three games I mentioned have it as adopted daughters, with the majority of the development being on establishing that relationship.

Father/daughter dynamic seems to be popular recently. Nier/Walking Dead/Last of Us, okay that's all that comes to mind off the top of my head.

It's probably some combination of the developers getting older and coming into their own families, but also the audience doing the same.

I see what you mean. That the devs are chaps with families.

I'd really like to know what 'our' devs think about this.

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

With the baby keeping them up and the oldest just gotten to the age were she finds boys interesting? I doubt they have the time and unfrayed nerves to think about anything ;)

• Like 1

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

Aren't there earlier games with father / daughter relationships? (Nier is 3 years old, but would something like Silent Hill count?)

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

On some level it makes sense. (in the way that ideas look good on paper) I think we need, and can expect, to see more of this.

The average age of gamers is supposedly somewhere around 30. This puts them at late teens/early twenties to play Baldur's Gate II, the game that really kicked off RPG romance. But also at the right age to play games like Lunar and Final Fantasy VIIat the peak. And now they're the same people raising children.

I expect in about another decade we're going to see the mid-life crisis as a topic in videogames.

Aren't there earlier games with father / daughter relationships? (Nier is 3 years old, but would something like Silent Hill count?)

I'm sure there are. I'm not trying to paint the now as if it's a revolution. But I suspect there's a bigger audience for it than ever before.

On some level it makes sense. (in the way that ideas look good on paper) I think we need, and can expect, to see more of this.

The average age of gamers is supposedly somewhere around 30. This puts them at late teens/early twenties to play Baldur's Gate II, the game that really kicked off RPG romance. But also at the right age to play games like Lunar and Final Fantasy VIIat the peak. And now they're the same people raising children.

I expect in about another decade we're going to see the mid-life crisis as a topic in videogames.

I'm sure there are. I'm not trying to paint the now as if it's a revolution. But I suspect there's a bigger audience for it than ever before.

Nah, I doubt the Father\Daughter relationship is anything more than an experiment that would only work in Zombie apocalypse games. You don't get anything more dramatic and tear-jerking than that type of dynamic (well maybe boy and dog relationships like Old Yeller :( ) . Its all about making an impact and appealing to a certain emotion that resonates with most people. Its no different to normal Romance we see in Bioware games. I know you aren't suggesting this but don't expect a paradigm shift in the way relationships are portrayed in RPG or games generally. The "normal" Romance is what most people expect and want :)

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

This just brings back memories of rampant daddy issues in Mass  Effect 2. A galaxy far far away, filled with american teenagers.

WHY BIO WHY

Edited by Drowsy Emperor
  • Like 2

И погибе Српски кнез Лазаре,
И његова сва изгибе војска, 
Седамдесет и седам иљада;
Све је свето и честито било
И миломе Богу приступачно.

Nah, I doubt the Father\Daughter relationship is anything more than an experiment that would only work in Zombie apocalypse games. You don't get anything more dramatic and tear-jerking than that type of dynamic (well maybe boy and dog relationships like Old Yeller :( ) . Its all about making an impact and appealing to a certain emotion that resonates with most people. Its no different to normal Romance we see in Bioware games. I know you aren't suggesting this but don't expect a paradigm shift in the way relationships are portrayed in RPG or games generally. The "normal" Romance is what most people expect and want :)

I don't know, man. The point is to get you to engage with the primary character, right? the writers are using a relationship to make that come alive.

The only way romance would be the only option is if romance was the only emotional relationship going, and it isn't. If my mates who studied medieval history are to be believed, romance isn't even a natural emotion. It's a made up emotion invented by shifty lute-players.

If you watch the vlog post I linked in the OP you'd see she suggests that another reason romance won't always work is that romance is very personal. We all dig on different things. I like brains and courage, and... well anyway. You get the idea. But good parental traits are pretty stable. You can watch a Zulu mom and child and go 'aw...' just as easily as a Scottish mom and child.

• Like 1

-Elwood Blues

We saw shades of middle-age being a factor in a character like Sam Fisher in Chaos Theory (The much younger techies in Third Echelon kept joking around with him because of his age, and his boss had started looking for his eventual replacement), though Sam Fisher did have a daughter which became a motivation in the following two games. Sadly, this aspect of his character seems to have been forgotten in the latest Splinter Cell.

“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

Developers seem to be missing the point of games being an interactive experience, if the child its just there to be an emotion causing ornament then it may as well be part of the background. On of the most basic companionship I've seen done in a game was in Shadow of the Colossus between Agro and the Wanderer. They are bound together on the same quest facing the towering Colossi, Agro proving to be indispensable in defeating some of them.  (Shadow of the Colossus spoilers ahead) So when Agro fell down to the ravine I felt that loss because of all of what I had been through.
Characters that are framing references for the hero are disposable and often forgot after they protagonist has been established, but companions bring their worth and value the hero's journey often engaging on a journey of their own.

Basically, if it bring nothing of value to the story then it has no value.

• Like 2
I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Wals, I kind of hate you for making me watch that video blog.   

But yeah, I think it's an obvious sign that many game developers are now in their 30's and 40's and struggling with parenthood, where in the previous two decades they were mostly in their 20's.

Also I hope I don't die when my daughter is 15 because that might cause her to go get terrible tattoos that distract from her natural beauty.

Edited by Hurlshot

But yeah, I think it's an obvious sign that many game developers are now in their 30's and 40's and struggling with parenthood, where in the previous two decades they were mostly in their 20's.

Also I hope I don't die when my daughter is 15 because that might cause her to go get terrible tattoos that distract from her natural beauty.

While I don't mind a woman with tattoos, those do not look very good.

• Like 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

If you watch the vlog post I linked in the OP you'd see she suggests that another reason romance won't always work is that romance is very personal. We all dig on different things. I like brains and courage, and... well anyway. You get the idea. But good parental traits are pretty stable. You can watch a Zulu mom and child and go 'aw...' just as easily as a Scottish mom and child.

You care about something in a story because you've come to identify with or like the main character and it's meaningful to them. WALL-E made me care for a ****roach, creatures that illicit disgust from me in the real world.

If game writers and cinematic types can’t get me to buy into a romantic relationship, that’s just lack of skill on their part.

• Like 1

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

While I don't mind a woman with tattoos, those do not look very good.

She is really pretty and clearly someone intelligent which is generally a must for me when I meet ladies when I am sober but those tattoos also don't do it for me at all.

And as Hurlshot said it does detract from her natural beauty

John Milton 

I am father to a marvellous son. I enjoy an excellent relationship with him and love him dearly.

This is why, in games, I couldn't give a toss about excellent relationships and want to drive tiger tanks, slay dragons, enslave nations with necromancy and lead mighty armies across continents.

Next.

• Like 8

sonsofgygax.JPG

I hear you but that's what I am sort of saying and its also what the lady in the video is suggesting. The father\daughter relationship does resonate with almost  everyone on some level. Its easier to implement on some games than Romance, but it will only work in some games.

I also don't buy the view that we are seeing a resurgence in this type of dynamic because the developers are in the 30's and 40's as this is something that they can identify with as they have families. The decision to include Relationships is not up to the developers but rather the Game Producer and the company that ultimately owns the IP. They will make a game and include features that will ensure the game sells the most copies and is popular with fans.

It's like saying Todd Howard from Bethesda who is married with kids should have included the whole Father\Daughter dynamic in Skyrim but instead you got these arguably silly marriage options which was what  most people preferred and made sense in the game setting

I am not saying that father\daughter doesn't have a place but it won't replace standard Romance as its not the best option for what people want who do care about these things :)

Edited by BruceVC

John Milton 

I am father to a marvellous son. I enjoy an excellent relationship with him and love him dearly.

This is why, in games, I couldn't give a toss about excellent relationships and want to drive tiger tanks, slay dragons, enslave nations with necromancy and lead mighty armies across continents.

Next.

Monte I find myself agreeing with you 100%...is something wrong with me?  :skeptical:

John Milton