Dragon Age: Inquisition

Again, never played the DA franchise, but didn't health used to autoregen after each encounter and you couldn't really die (just take a knee), like they are now doing in PE? I wonder why they changed that model. Can you die now in DA?

Yes it regenerated. You could "die" when the entire party fell before. I don't anticipate that changing.
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

I'd be wary respecting my opinion. I'm susceptible to hype and presumptuous. I've been fooled the same as the rest.

*wraps the tentacles of optimism around you*

*drags you deep into the muck of anticipation*

• Like 3

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

Again, never played the DA franchise, but didn't health used to autoregen after each encounter and you couldn't really die (just take a knee), like they are now doing in PE? I wonder why they changed that model. Can you die now in DA?

That's how I remember DA, no real death unless the whole party is defeated. But are you sure you can't die in PE, that concerns me :unsure:

IIRC, death in PE only occurs with certain option boxes checked, otherwise you take a knee except in cases of a TPW. I know Ironman offers permadeath and only 1 save that will self delete but I think the one setting down from that (Trial of Iron?) also offers death but you can reload. There is no resurrection magic in PE so death is permanent.

I'd be wary respecting my opinion. I'm susceptible to hype and presumptuous. I've been fooled the same as the rest.

*wraps the tentacles of optimism around you*

*drags you deep into the muck of anticipation*

:biggrin:  Funny

That's how I remember DA, no real death unless the whole party is defeated. But are you sure you can't die in PE, that concerns me :unsure:

IIRC, death in PE only occurs with certain option boxes checked, otherwise you take a knee except in cases of a TPW. I know Ironman offers permadeath and only 1 save that will self delete but I think the one setting down from that (Trial of Iron?) also offers death but you can reload. There is no resurrection magic in PE so death is permanent.

Okay thanks, I just want the combat to have a level of risk apart from where the whole party has to die. So in PE I'll probably play with certain settings to get the optimum balance of challange vs enjoyment

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

So we shouldn't regard facts that counter your argument; that's convenient.

I'm not sure I was making an 'argument'?? But I think we shouldn't count the extra year porting consoles not because it runs contrary to anything I'm trying to prove, but because it is - imho - the best way of comparing apples to apples. The reason we all say "oooooh DA:O took A WHOLE 6 YEARS to make" (and that's A BAD THING) is because we reference - for example - Fallout New Vegas which took only 2 years. However if one of those developers runs their key development tasks (platforms) concurrently (Obsidian) and the other in sequence (BioWare) then the comparison of 2:6 is not meaningful. If FO:NV had been developed with the same methodology as DA:O then it would have taken 3 years not 2. So if we want a valid comparison we should either assume Obsidian had adopted an 'in sequence' approach and add 1 year or assume that BioWare adopted an 'in parallel' approach and deduct 1 year. Ideally we should also add a few years to Obsidian for having an engine and assets already made by Bethesda, and measure it all in man hours, but that might be getting a little silly :blush:

Okay thanks, I just want the combat to have a level of risk apart from where the whole party has to die. So in PE I'll probably play with certain settings to get the optimum balance of challange vs enjoyment

Just remember, you lose a party member and they are gone forever. You will have to replace them with a NPC from the Adventurers Hall and they wont have banter/quests/personality.

You could play as dwarves and elves in DA2 as well - just select varric or that whiny degenerade you can sell to slavery later on. See, you are playing elves and dwarves!

Some of his skills were broken. I'm almost certain it was his skills.

Just remember, you lose a party member and they are gone forever. You will have to replace them with a NPC from the Adventurers Hall and they wont have banter/quests/personality.

Holy Smoke Gfted1, you sure know how to make me worried. I could potentially lose someone I would be Romancing !!!! And that would be a crisis of monumental proportions :sweat:

Edited by BruceVC

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Holy Smoke Gfted1, you sure know how to make me worried. I could potentially lose someone I would be Romancing !!!! And that would be a crisis of monumental proportions :sweat:

And wouldn't that make the playthrough more memorable and powerful?

• Like 3

You don't necessarily have to stop romancing them just because they're dead you know. 

I think the real issue with permadeath will be if you lose people because of a bug or because of a minor issue with the hud or something.  I'm definitely not the kind of person who will like that option although I do see the merit in using permadeath to make combat tense and exciting. 

Edited by Serrano
  • Like 2

You don't necessarily have to stop romancing them just because they're dead you know. 

I was waiting for someone to point out a probably heartfelt plea from BSN.

Sorry Bruce, but you just revealed your romance tamagotchi tendency there.

• Like 1

sonsofgygax.JPG

I think the real issue with permadeath will be if you lose people because of a bug or because of a minor issue with the hud or something.  I'm definitely not the kind of person who will like that option although I do see the merit in using permadeath to make combat tense and exciting.

Necromancy? Most Bio NPCs have the depth of zombies so it wouldn't be that big of a change. I'm sure most of the BioFans would just be happy that they could do all the romancing they wanted without having to talk.

• Like 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

And wouldn't that make the playthrough more memorable and powerful?

Well it would make my  choices and the combat more significant, so yes there is that advantage

@ Others

I'm old school, I prefer the thought of anyone I Romance to be alive. The thought of necrophilia would be boring....dead boring actually :biggrin:

John Milton 

What would be more powerful than seeing your potential LI turn to red pieces of meat in front of your eyes?

And at that time, somewhere, Avellone will smile... a fuzzy feeling warming his heart. :fdevil:

• Like 3

So we shouldn't regard facts that counter your argument; that's convenient.

I'm not sure I was making an 'argument'?? But I think we shouldn't count the extra year porting consoles not because it runs contrary to anything I'm trying to prove, but because it is - imho - the best way of comparing apples to apples. The reason we all say "oooooh DA:O took A WHOLE 6 YEARS to make" (and that's A BAD THING) is because we reference - for example - Fallout New Vegas which took only 2 years. However if one of those developers runs their key development tasks (platforms) concurrently (Obsidian) and the other in sequence (BioWare) then the comparison of 2:6 is not meaningful. If FO:NV had been developed with the same methodology as DA:O then it would have taken 3 years not 2. So if we want a valid comparison we should either assume Obsidian had adopted an 'in sequence' approach and add 1 year or assume that BioWare adopted an 'in parallel' approach and deduct 1 year. Ideally we should also add a few years to Obsidian for having an engine and assets already made by Bethesda, and measure it all in man hours, but that might be getting a little silly :blush:

Irregardless of the schedule money its still being paid to employees during the development of ports, if you want to compare their production pipelines then you should do that. As far as the developers and the publisher is concerned they are still working. That's the only reason I'm giving you a hard time over your statement. 

Now if you want to argue whether the gap between production and publishing should count that's another matter.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

I'm really confused now. A lot of the information revealed today contradicts what were told months ago. I get they added a whole year onto the development cycle, which is great, but I'm wondering how they're going to accommodate a game that was supposed to be shipped this Fall with all these new features. You know what I mean? BioWare is your typical AAA developer - they have a pre-planning phase and then a planning phase. **** gets nailed down early and then the game is built up for that. If you try to shoe horn huge new mechanics into the game mid-development, you'll have growing pains, or worse.

I guess all I can do is speculate on the ramifications of that. In general, some good design decisions, but don't buy into some of the double-speak here - they say we can equip items on our party members again, but they're still limiting us. Party member X will only have light, medium and heavy preset aesthetics for armor. I hope that doesn't also mean they're limited to what items we can put on them. What care more about is what I can equip, not so much how I or my companions look look like, but it's still somewhat troubling. That kind of mechanic I'd expect from a budget RPG or a jRPG. I mean, one of the draws of doing 3-dimensional games is you can swap armor pieces around - sprites are heavily imited. But by sticking us with predefined looks, why even bother? It'd be cheaper just to give us some really pretty sprites, lol.

I'm also concerned by the lack of actual gameplay footage, just pepole sitting behind computers. This game was supposed to be ready this fall so... why the hush hush? A bit troubling. But maybe they're going to revamp everything combat related?

Edited by anubite

I made a 2 hour rant video about dragon age 2. It's not the greatest... but if you want to watch it, here ya go:

I think some arses have been twitching at EA towers. They realise that Da2 was insufferably bad and the suits want to sprinkle some Skyrim magic over DA. Problem is, the Bioware rail-roaded story / fixed NPC set-piece will need shoe-horning into this exploration iteration of DA.

So it might be messy.

sonsofgygax.JPG

I can see the Achievement --- DEAD GIRLFRIEND (Bronze, Silver and Gold)

Sorry Monte, but Bio is inclusive. It will be DEAD GIRLFRIEND/BOYFRIEND/DOG/ABOMINATION/BROODMOTHER. Broodmother should be gold.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

I'm really confused now. A lot of the information revealed today contradicts what were told months ago. I get they added a whole year onto the development cycle, which is great, but I'm wondering how they're going to accommodate a game that was supposed to be shipped this Fall with all these new features. You know what I mean? BioWare is your typical AAA developer - they have a pre-planning phase and then a planning phase. **** gets nailed down early and then the game is built up for that. If you try to shoe horn huge new mechanics into the game mid-development, you'll have growing pains, or worse.

I guess all I can do is speculate on the ramifications of that. In general, some good design decisions, but don't buy into some of the double-speak here - they say we can equip items on our party members again, but they're still limiting us. Party member X will only have light, medium and heavy preset aesthetics for armor. I hope that doesn't also mean they're limited to what items we can put on them. What care more about is what I can equip, not so much how I or my companions look look like, but it's still somewhat troubling. That kind of mechanic I'd expect from a budget RPG or a jRPG. I mean, one of the draws of doing 3-dimensional games is you can swap armor pieces around - sprites are heavily imited. But by sticking us with predefined looks, why even bother? It'd be cheaper just to give us some really pretty sprites, lol.

I'm also concerned by the lack of actual gameplay footage, just pepole sitting behind computers. This game was supposed to be ready this fall so... why the hush hush? A bit troubling. But maybe they're going to revamp everything combat related?

What is actually new? We've heard so little about the game that there aren't many promises to go back on.

Being able to play as a dwarf or elf is new. And backgrounds are out, partially because of this.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Nice to hear that they're adding in races and horses, definitely saying the right things, but i'm a touch wary personally. I remember the "story" trailer for Dragon Age 2 which was rather economical with the truth, this new video seems very similar. Still proof of the puddings in the eating.

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!