Dragon Age: Inquisition

I doubt Steam has that many unique customers to really worry about. L0L

as volo speaketh, so it shall be!

erase the steam everyone.  shut it down.

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

I doubt Steam has that many unique customers to really worry about. L0L

I've wondered about this myself

Do most people even care? Origin seems to be doing well enough (dunno about Uplay) and I don't think I've ever seen more than a handful of people go "No Steam, No Sale"

Free games updated 3/4/21

My viewpoint is this.  I already have Steam, I don't need yet another service.  The whole point of having Steam is having most of my library centralized in one place (2 in my case since I have a bunch of games on GOG also, GOG is a bit different though).  Continuing to add more services is counterproductive to centralizing my library.  I've already signed my soul over to Valve, I don't need to sign my soul over to Dread Lord EArts, or Ubisoft, or Microsoft.  So, I say no to Origin, no to UPlay, no to <horrific Microsoft "service" that shall not be named>.  I've taken one step down that slippery slope, I'm not taking any more.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

I prefer Steam, but my big thing with Origin is the only stuff where the price makes it worth getting, I already got elsewhere. The stuff I would consider grabbing on Origin is just way too expensive. $30 for a 4 year old Sims expansion, no thank you. You should be able to buy 3 packs of Sims 3 expansions for $15 bucks by now.

Edited by Oerwinde
  • Like 1
The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

I like Origin well enough, but yeah it is a hassle that 95% of my games are on one service and only a few of them are on Origin.  It means I can go a year or more without logging in to Origin, and when I do, I can't remember my info and it takes forever to update everything.

Half the time Origin has uninstalled itself and I have to reinstall it when I think to use it.

I do like that I can buy physical copies through Origin if I chose though.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

my order of preference

disc with no drm

digital download with no drm (ie gog)

steam at a deep discount

if i have to buy something on some other service, then i wait until an ultra deep discount.  the only exceptions to this are for games that im DYING to play (ie when diablo 3 came out, i bought it full price despite the strangling DRM it was saddled with)

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

I have this amazing, newfangled contraption for centralising my games library- it's called a computer. All the PC games I own are available on this 'computer', wherever I purchased them from. It's great, it has awesome social functions (I'm posting this from it RIGHT NOW!!! for example), a built in word processor and plenty of other software you can add, I can edit images and post them to the internet, browse  the internet and buy real cheap games on it too. And best of all I'm not obligated to give an obese ex MS Seattleite 30% of any purchase I make I can buy from whoever I want, cut out the middleman and give the game makers 100% of the cost, most of the time.

People should really try gaming on the 'computer' some times, it's awesome!

(oblig never had a problem with Origin and so long as there's no monopolistic 'originworks' attempt to metastasise the market I'll remain utterly indifferent to it)

• Like 7

I have this amazing, newfangled contraption for centralising my games library- it's called a computer. All the PC games I own are available on this 'computer', wherever I purchased them from. It's great, it has awesome social functions (I'm posting this from it RIGHT NOW!!! for example), a built in word processor and plenty of other software you can add, I can edit images and post them to the internet, browse  the internet and buy real cheap games on it too. And best of all I'm not obligated to give an obese ex MS Seattleite 30% of any purchase I make I can buy from whoever I want, cut out the middleman and give the game makers 100% of the cost, most of the time.

(oblig never had a problem with Origin and so long as there's no monopolistic 'originworks' attempt to metastasise the market I'll remain utterly indifferent to it)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOdjCb4LwQY

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

i mean, this SOUNDS cool, but how does it work?  I, for example, am posting this from a couple of dead raccoons tied to a banjo, and play my games using a centralized tree stump and carving knife.  is there some kind of cavern i can clamber into to learn about these "commputters"?

(for serious, origin is like, 5 extra mouseclicks, so of course i will not use it)

(ok for real serious, i dont like many of EA's policies, so i tend to prefer giving more of my money to other companies whenever possible)

Edited by entrerix

Actually now that I have three computers, desktop at home, personal laptop, and a work computer, Steam is way more convenient than discs.  I can easily access the game on all three devices and most games even let me store saved games on the cloud.

I used to hate Steam, by the way.  I lived in the boondocks and had a spotty internet connection.  But I've been converted by my fancy high speed wireless.  Now I am a rabid fanboy!  :p

Edited by Hurlshot

A 'naked waist' is what life is all about. 

If Inquisition releases in Q4 next year, I'm curious when Bioware will reveal the super-secret brand new IP Jessica hinted at, before or after? I'll go ahead and assume the new project has about a year in development already, so if the three-year dev cycle holds true, we might see Inquisition Q4 2014, new IP Q4 2015, new ME sometime 2016. Bam, annual release schedule. 

All Stop. On Screen.

Is the new ME actually counted as a Bioware game though? It's being made by the Montreal branch, isn't it, which is separate like the Austin studio?

I'd actually presume it would DAI '14, new IP/ JE2???/ SWRPG??? '15/ '16.

ME4/ ME:X from late '14-'15? and as more of a 3PS than an RPG.

Yeah, lots of ??? in that.

I think people are too critical of Origin, since it took Valve several years to finally get Steam "right" nevermind that it is just big one DRM. The only difference is that it has a friend's list built in and some other nice features (like mod support). Pretty much, Valve plays a long term game, which they have won. People like Steam - whether that's something we should praise or not is up for debate, but Origin still has much catching up to do. People just perceive it in a too negative light (that whole "scanning your computer stuff" did not help one bit). I expect a lot of people to "protest" a forced Origin for ME4/DA3.

It's just another symptom of EA as a whole failing to project itself correctly. People don't see good deals on Origin, they don't see a good service, and they feel resented when a game they might want to play requires it. Their desire to play DA3/ME4 is already significantly reduced, because of the drama over DA2/ME3. That won't prevent everyone from playing it, but EA is going to lose a lot of sales from the combination of these factors. It hasn't made any positive steps to correct its image either. Even Capcom gave away that free Megaman fangame. You know things are bad when a Japanese company is more sensitive than EA :p

• Like 1

I made a 2 hour rant video about dragon age 2. It's not the greatest... but if you want to watch it, here ya go:

Yeah, BWE effectively includes Montreal (which is a bit confusing, since Austin doesn't fall under the same studio).

It's more a manpower/general manager thing.  Montreal is no where near as big as Austin or Edmonton, and Aaryn is the GM for both Edmonton and Montreal.

I must have missed some good drama. Only thing I ever noticed was people getting upset over ME3's ending. Got no problem with Origin. Only *buy* stuff that is exclusively sold there (which isn't much), preferring independent outlets and retail (whoever offers the best bargain at the time really, a number of online services being utter ****'s with regional price fixing and cartel agreements). For me, it's like Steam, a convenient centralised download library of my games. That I could then add the serial nos. of my old physical disk games from way past and add as download service for free was just an added bonus. Those old optical disks wont last forever.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

I'll probably pre-order the CE via Amazon, just like last time, so getting it at a discount doesn't matter. As long as they have a nice place to track my achievements, I don't care if it's Steam or Origin.

I've never heard that having a naked waist damages your kidneys. If your core temperature is low enough that your organs are being damage, you're probably at the point that your fingers and toes are coming off.

Edited by Maria Caliban

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

This silly Origin vs Stream argument dumb. You guyz do realize there are always to buy games other than just those two methods, right? RIGHT.

Sush, let petty mortals go on with their petty arguments

• Like 1
I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Screen****s:

daionlinescreen1_W.jpg

Here we have Verric, Cassandra, and Vivianne fighting a... Nightmare? I had it written down, but can't seem to find my notes. Vivianne is a companion, she's a pro-Circle mage from Orlais. That would explain her fashion sense.

daionlinescreen2_W.jpg

Here is a qunari standing in front of a Grey Warden fort. Speculation is that this is Iron Bull, a possible companion.

Edited by Maria Caliban

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

Cool shots, a little to crispy to be in game renders.

Btw, does anyone knows who the main character is for DA:I? I kinda be more psyched if they let us resume the story with the Warden.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

village_idiot.gif

A new character. Supposedly without a set name, though they may be referring only to first instead of both first and last. Last would be a... well, it would be a first for the franchise.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

The new character is the Inquisitor of the title. They can't really give you a defined name since you have a choice of multiple races.

So you don't even get to pick a class or will the Chantry somehow allow a mage on their service?

village_idiot.gif