Dragon Age III / The Witcher 3 trailers. Impressions?

Rahelron

54 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think about these games?

• They will both be great.
    • TW3 will be good/great, DA3 will not.
    • DA3 will be good/great, TW2 will not.
    • They will both suck.

The Witcher 3 trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=TZ_G6XiHoUA

Dragon Age III trailer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=rh8v3Et4tGE

What do you think? Have you any expectation? Do you think Bioware will be able to deliver on its promises? Is CD Projekt boasting too much about TW3 being the "ultimate RPG"? Please discuss.

• Like 1

Wither 3: Solid trailer but the hurbis is hilarious. Twictehr is no 'ultimate rpg'. That is NWN.

DA3: She's backkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

I think Dragon Age 3 has a very interesting trailer. The Witcher 3's trailer was very boring by comparison, but was more in-game.

I fully believe Bioware is able to deliver on their promises. Functionally capable, anyway. Why they choose not to is beyond me and I'm still wary from the gross misrepresentation of Mass Effect 3's ending. There's no trust there.

I doubt The Witcher will be the ultimate RPG or anything like that. I sometimes struggle to see it as an RPG at all. But it will be a solid title from capable hands that know what their audience is looking for (sex, violence, choice, moral complexity) and advance themselves with each installment.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Both should be pretty fun for what they are. Even with Morrigan's mutant face and Geriatric Geralt

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Don't believe any game will ever be "the ultimate" whatever the genre. that said, I have more faith in the CD Project bettering themselves than I have in bioware breaking out of the rut they have been in.

• Like 1

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

Hmmm, both will be cinematic games with actiony combat, probably open-world, and a focus on story and choices. I don't know if there will be much difference besides the setting and the amount of **** shown. I will have to wait and see, but I'm going to give the edge to PE, which will bend them both over the table and plow them hard.

• Like 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Don't believe any game will ever be "the ultimate" whatever the genre. that said, I have more faith in the CD Project bettering themselves than I have in bioware breaking out of the rut they have been in.

Master of Orion 2 was the "ultimate" of it's genre :bat:

Looks like I have to watch a couple of videos when I get home from work. I found TW2 so horrible that I never bothered finishing it (despite loving TW1 dearly). at least I managed to finish DA2 a couple of times.

I'll wait with "judgement" until actually seeing the videos.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

The Witcher 3 had actual gameplay and bearded Geralt, therefore it wins.  Note that I am an unabashed CD Projekt Red fan and supporter, so take that with a grain of salt.

• Like 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

The Witcher 3 had actual gameplay and bearded Geralt, therefore it wins. Note that I am an unabashed CD Projekt Red fan and supporter, so take that with a grain of salt.

It is a proven fact that beards make everything better.

EDIT: OP, you should add "meh" options.

Edited by KaineParker

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

TW3 trailer has some in-game footage, which looks like TW2++. Great. 

DA3 trailer has almost none, so who gives a crap? 

• Like 3

Did they add facial moles to Morrigan?  Why does BioWare seem to like to do that?  My male Shepard in ME3 had a massive mole on the side of his neck that wasn't there in ME1 and 2, and his back was covered in so many of them that I hope Dr. Chakwas screened him for skin cancer.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

Did they add facial moles to Morrigan?  Why does BioWare seem to like to do that?  My male Shepard in ME3 had a massive mole on the side of his neck that wasn't there in ME1 and 2, and his back was covered in so many of them that I hope Dr. Chakwas screened him for skin cancer.

Bioware is shamelessly pandering to the mole-covered demographic.

• Like 4

Unimpressed by either of them, Dragon Age seems to be sticking with the silly Mage war theme, features one of the odious cast from the second game and seems solidly entrenched in epic generic bombasity. The Witcher didn't really tell me anything I didn't know. The latter wins in my estimation because it showed gameplay however.

Edit: Didn't vote because I don't know what the games will play like, can only judge the trailers.

Edited by Nonek

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

It's kind of hard to take anything away from the Dragon Age 3 trailer since it had nothing but cinematics.  I liked Dragon Age: Origins, then Dragon Age 2 came up and punched me in the **** and left me writhing on the ground saying "What the ****!?  Why would you do that to me?"  This trailer does nothing to remove that bad taste from my mouth because there's nothing indicating which direction the game is going other than Morrigan's back.

• Like 4

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

After numerous false starts and complaints, I trudged through DA2 last year.  I enjoy the universe, but I almost gave it up after DA2.  Since alanschu has guaranteed it will be better, I'll be picking up DA3.  If it's bad I'll drive north and toilet paper his house.

I've never got around to finishing The Witcher, so I will probably wait on TW3.  I have no idea why it doesn't keep my interest, I've played to act 2 twice and then stopped.

I voted they will both suck because this thread was entirely too positive :p

Edited by Hurlshot
  • Like 1

I put greater trust in CD Projekt than in Bioware, just because they haven't screwed up with their last two titles. Moreover both games are announced for 2014 and TW3 seems to be a lot ahead in development compared to DA3.

The fact that Bioware didn't show any in-game footage makes me worry: DA3 should have been in development for something like 18 months, why they don't have anything to show besides monsters and character models? My fear is that they scrapped everything something like 6 months ago and then restarted from scratch. This could have happened even later: Bioware announced they were switching to Frostbite 3 in march 28, so they could have restarted everything just 3 months ago.

There are some elements that cheer me up though. First Bioware postponed the release date by one year. This is a good thing. Secondly I don't know If you noticed, but EA does not seem to be nice and friendly to Bioware lately. When EA "won" the "worst company of the year" contest for the second year in a row one of its executives wrote a press release where he clearly tried to shift all the blame on Bioware for the crappy games EA released in the last years. He named Dragon age 2 and Mass Effect 3, but didn't spend a word on Sim City or on the way they are treating the Ultima games, which are about to become a facebook franchise. I think that those at bioware know that thay can't screw up anymore if they want to survive as a company. EA is restructuring the company because of financial problems, if they don't want to be axed they need to go back to their old standards.

TW3 trailer has some in-game footage, which looks like TW2++. Great. 

DA3 trailer has almost none, so who gives a crap? 

This.

I'm not actually that impressed with either trailer, regardless. Which isn't to judge the game potential itself...only the trailers. Fancy official trailers these days all blur together anyway...and are usually largely meaningless for wondering if I want to play/buy it.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I am going to go against the trend here and say that I am very excited for DA3 and that it's release cannot come soon enough. I doubt that the mage/chantry war will be the big storyline here, that's probably going on but the real plot seems likely to be around Flemeth, the evil from beyond the mirror, Morrigan  :banana:  and the God Baby

It looks like Hawke and/or a number of the companions are dead, I'm not thrilled about that because I loved Hawke and the companions and the dynamics between the whole group. I'd have been happy to play as The Warden as well much for the same reason and I had actually hoped that Hawke and The Warden would team up in DA3 as Bioware had set up the same extreamly interesting scenario that we had at the end of KOTOR2 with the Exile following Revan into the abyss. It's going to suck if they've wasted that plotline a second time. I am cautiously hopeful though because in the scene at the end did look like Hawke's Silhouette.  I also hope they do justice to The Warden being alive and especially the possible outcome where he follows Morrigan through the mirror (or doesn't). There were so many  great threads and interesting possible ways for Bioware to go with Inquisition so I'm really looking forward to seeing what they've created. The more I think about it the more I want it. This could actually be my most anticipated Bioware game ever.

I've been very happy with the previous games so I hope that all of the Elder Scrolls stuff they've been talking about hasn't changed the format of the game very much. I don't see that it has to, TOR still felt very much like a Bioware game afterall.

And hopefully c&c from past games will be handled with less glitches in DA3, I know it's not the end of the world if they can't manage it but it was always so nice when those moments cropped up.

Roll on 2014.

Edited by Serrano

Couldn't be bothered with the age verification. Doesn't appear I'm missing that much. Witcher 3 is out for current gen consoles so no wonder it looks like Witcher 2.

DA3, honestly the engine is very bad, rubber banding and wonky encounters, and they couldn't even be bothered buidling new locales, so every other cave is the same map. No reason to think they will do a decent job this time.

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

Wow, nice post

They both look amazing. I am super excited. So in DA3 it looks like another Dragon will be involved. Nice :)

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Melk remember you aren't allowed to play DA3, I'm sure you recall  the discussion we had a while ago where you said you never would play another DA game again   :p

• Like 2

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela