What are you playing now?

OK, I now see the character option to change class.  And it seems that when I try it, my character does retain their established spells and skill points. (I didn't check attribute points.)  So what should I be thinking about when planning profession changes?  Can I change back afterwards?  (E.g., a Mage that switches to Bard for some quick level-ups to gain spells and skillpoints, then switches back to regain his high rate of mana accrual?) 

I don't remember if you can switch back to a class you've already been, it's been a while.  Since you keep skills when class switching, and since you can increase them even if you're now a class that wouldn't normally have access to that skill, as long as you already have at least 1 point in that skill, when class switching, getting at least 1 point in any new skill should be a priority.  Weapon skills will train on their own as you use that weapon type, so no need to prioritize them.  Make sure you pick up stealth skills and magic skills for all your characters at some point.  Kirijitsu, Ledgermain, Skullduggery, and any magic skill are always a good place to put points into.  Kirijitsu should always be a priority since it doesn't seem to go up on its own through use.  

• Like 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Splitting my limited time between Europa Universalis III (with latest patches) and Swtor. Caved in on the latter and spent a bit of money on "cosmetics". Some choices early on before getting familiar with the game just irked me constantly. For four dollars I could remedy that.

Tried an experiment, because the flashpoints seems completely unbalanced when it comes to providing social points. Unless you spend all your time from level 10 to 15 hanging around in the groupfinder queue and do the Esseles/Black Talon constantly (with social point boosts), forget about ever getting any.

Gorths workaround: Create a F2P account (ok, preferred status actually, just for the sprint) and level up a pair of toons (one dark, one light) and group up with my main characters. My high level guys kills anything that moves and the b-team just joins the conversations. Problem solved (and gives more SP in 30 minutes of "soloing" than 8-10 hours of grinding the later FP's). Plus, the b-team ends up with some nice gear, despite the f2p limitations.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Crusader Kings 2: The Old Gods DLC is now out and apparently there are no gamebreaking bugs.

Rurik has now carved out the Kingdom of Rus, and hopes not to die before his two underage sons mature (and, hopefully, one of them conveniently die). 

OK, I now see the character option to change class.  And it seems that when I try it, my character does retain their established spells and skill points. (I didn't check attribute points.)  So what should I be thinking about when planning profession changes?  Can I change back afterwards?  (E.g., a Mage that switches to Bard for some quick level-ups to gain spells and skillpoints, then switches back to regain his high rate of mana accrual?) 

I don't remember if you can switch back to a class you've already been, it's been a while.  Since you keep skills when class switching, and since you can increase them even if you're now a class that wouldn't normally have access to that skill, as long as you already have at least 1 point in that skill, when class switching, getting at least 1 point in any new skill should be a priority.  Weapon skills will train on their own as you use that weapon type, so no need to prioritize them.  Make sure you pick up stealth skills and magic skills for all your characters at some point.  Kirijitsu, Ledgermain, Skullduggery, and any magic skill are always a good place to put points into.  Kirijitsu should always be a priority since it doesn't seem to go up on its own through use.  

A little more rudimentary experimentation:  It seems that a best practice would be to multiclass within the same type of spellcaster.  Also, there seems to be a cap on the Power Level of spells-- they cannot exceed the character's level in their current class. 

I'm not sure what having multiple characters with Ledgerdemain and Skullduggery gets you. 

Wacky party idea:

Val -> Pri (designated Scout)

Pri -> Val (change when 7th Spell Level achieved)

Fig -> Monk

Bar -> Nin (Lockpicker.  Change when Lute becomes less useful, or later when requisites achieved)

Alc -> Nin (change when 5th Spell Level achieved)

Mag -> Sam (change when 7th Spell Level achieved)

That said, I doubt I'd do it, as I don't know how imports to the Sequel work.  I'm guessing that the program isn't rigorous enough to pick up levels in past classes, or skills unlocked that aren't kosher for the class.  I wouldn't want to come into Wiz7 with a de-leveled Val-Mon-Nin-Nin-Pri-Sam lineup. 

Stats and skills do transfer...  to a degree.  Low to mid stats will tend to stay intact while high stats may get lowered or they may not, it seems random.  Skills will transfer but up to a point, anything above that will get chopped off, what that level is also seems random.  Some loot transfers some doesn't, you can find a comprehensive list of what does and doesn't online somewhere.  I think it's a clean slate as far as previous classes goes when transferring, but I can't say for sure.

You want to settle into your final class well before end game so you can get them high enough level, especially when dealing with slow leveling classes, as many of the 'powerful' hybrids are.  I'm aiming for a final party of Val, Sam, Nin, Nin, Mon, Ran.  Subject to change, of course.  It's been so long, I can't say for sure, but I remember not changing classes nearly as much in Wiz 7.  That could just be faulty memory though.

Edited by Keyrock

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Hmm...  It seems that you get cut down to 5th level in your current class, with random appropriate-ish reductions in skill levels, attribute levels, HP, SP, and spells known, but all skills that you have at least 1 point in will be available to the character in the sequel. 

Perhaps a revised lineup:

Val -> Pri (Possibly dipping into one of the classes with Kirijutsu in between)

Pri -> Val (Same)

Fig -> Monk

Bar -> Mag

Alc -> Nin

Thi -> Sam

Edited by Enoch
  • Like 1

...Waiting for 2K support to send me the proper cdkey. The bundle I bought on amazon activated Civ V instead of Civ V Gold. Amazon support sent me to 2K, and now 2K is having me send in screenshots of this correspondence while not making any promises to solve the problem. 

:banghead:

И погибе Српски кнез Лазаре,
И његова сва изгибе војска, 
Седамдесет и седам иљада;
Све је свето и честито било
И миломе Богу приступачно.

...Waiting for 2K support to send me the proper cdkey. The bundle I bought on amazon activated Civ V instead of Civ V Gold. Amazon support sent me to 2K, and now 2K is having me send in screenshots of this correspondence while not making any promises to solve the problem. 

And all that just so you can then play a game that's boring compared to AC :/

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

And all that just so you can then play a game that's boring compared to AC :/

Well, considering I paid about 3$ for it I won't be sticking around in an attempt to get my money's worth out of it if its as boring as you say it is. I will, however nag them until I get the game I paid for  :biggrin:

Currently I'm really itching to play XCOM, not Civ V, but I need to study for exams - can't exactly bull**** my way through professors  with my amazing gaming-fu.

To be fair, I did two palythroughs of Civ V. I gave up on XCOM...

Its just that with AC I did a playthrough as the Gaians. Then I did one as the Spartans. When I finished htat I did one as the Morganites. After that I returned toa  few playthroughs as the Gaians. Then I played as University...

See where I am going ? ;)

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

Yes, for disaster, if I take Sister Miriam and we start on the same continent.  :biggrin:

We should play a multiplayer game some time, against the AI or something.

If you don't mind a Deirdre cheesing with Green Wave tactics? :)

Nah, its all in the game.  :yes:

Nah, its all in the game.  :yes:

And now, forever I will read your posts as if they were said by Omar Little.

Back on topic:

Played some more Skyward Collapse.

The greeks had a nigh invincible unit due to magic artifacts which was going through the norse towns like Morrigan through disaproval points.

Finally managed to get Ullr to strike the unit down and give the norse some respite, then a rogue chimera came rushing at the norse. No rest for the wicked I guess.

I summoned an elf to take out the chimera. Then the Upheaval happened. The earth came alive raising mountains where there were none. The chimera survived, the elf died in the confusion... With the tiny norse village behind vast mountain ranges now, the chimera will have a feast.

Still, not all is bad. As I was prepared for it, the Upheaval did more good than damage.

• Like 1

Got stomped in my SMAC game, my fault for slacking on military research (and not subjugating my neighbours). Was interesting to see the missile abuse the Hive unleashed on me, though.

I guess I'll have to L2P again or at the least re-read the excellent manual to brush up on things.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

If you're really willing to get into some advanced strategies look up Velocyrix's guide on GameFAQ's.

My game as Sister Miriam is proceeding well. I'm currently at war with both of the remaining factions, but the war with Lal is really a standstill because he's impotent and because I don't have enough troops to fight him with on that continent. Also he hasn't terraformed anything so I'm fighting the mindworms more than I'm fighting him.

On the other hand, the war with Santiago is proceeding fine. She's going to be a tough cookie, all her troops are elite and she's got missile tech, but without orbital spaceflight thankfully. My commando gatling rovers are charging through Santiago's continent, so at least the fight isn't hampering my economy on on my territory.

I've got both Deirdre and Zakharov researching for me so they should come up with Orbital Spaceflight before Santiago does.

Crusader Kings 2 with old gods DLC.

Decided to go with an odd start, Pagan, Norse leader replacing one of the Irish start independents, age 17 in the year 1204. Started off fine with me taking most of the northern half of independent Ireland before England did the same, then consolidating. The year is now 1211, and unfortunately England decided to send a bishop over to convert me, I decided to respond to that by throwing him in prison, which led to England declaring war quickly followed by Scotland. 6 months later and most of my cities were under siege when Norway decided to invade Scotland allowing me to make a truce with Scotland losing one county in the process. This left England however still being England rampaging across Northern Ireland, when southern Ireland decided to rebel and start attacking the English troops. England pulled out entirely for some reason(I believe France were naughty) and left Ireland completely independent at the end of 1213. Got to love rebellions.

• Like 1
cylon_basestar_eye.gif

Done with my SMAC game. Sister Miriam of the Believers has achieved conquest victory! Santiago and Lal were really obstinate, I had to fight them down to one base each, so I ended up with 30+ bases.

I was gunning for a diplomatic victory but the appropriate tech wasn't discovered by the time Lal surrendered.

Santiago could have had me there because she got her hands on needlejet technology. Luckily for me she only ever built one or two before I took over.

213% AC Rating

I play Battlefield 3 on Xbox 360 every day at lunch.  Sometimes I get in on some DayZ on the PC with some hardcore player killing action (bandit for LIFE!) and even Halo 4 from time to time.

Grew up living/breathing N64 Goldeneye, then Halo 1, 2, 3 - Rainbow Six series, and Battlefield.

• Like 1

Still playing Okami. Third boss went down today. PlayStation+ is killing me, lol. I can't even finish the games on the service before new ones come out. Resumed my Ratchet & Clank: All 4 One playthrough. It isn't very fun on your own, but I intend to complete it. Then I need to play the new Hitman game. Then Ico HD and Shadow of the Colossus HD. I've already beaten Demon's Souls. I have Kingdoms of Amalur on PC, so I'll skip that one. Oh, and I also need to start Catherine. I almost regret subbing to the service, almost.

I played through the first 3 missions of XCOM: Enemy Unknown

While I'm still inclined to like the game (so far) its not making the best first impression.

The technical issues:

1. There are a lot of scenes zooming in to very low resolution textures. We're talking about Half Life 1 type textures.

2. The facial animations and facial renderings are quite average

Gameplay issues:

1. Arbitrary cover. Only two types without clear benefits. I never know exactly how good my chances are of not getting hit.

2. Linear missions on small maps.

3. Inability to use strategy because the game forces you to stumble around until the aliens show up.

4. Limited tactics when they do show up. Shoot, Grenade, Flank, take cover - rinse, repeat.

4. Limited equipment options. I had a man bleed to death because I chose to take a grenade instead of a medpack (why do I even have to choose?)

Sid Meier once said that what makes strategy games enjoyable is "interesting choices". So far, there were none to be made. Every mission consisted of going from cover to cover (stumbling blindly really) and waiting for the aliens to show up. There is no way to really exploit positioning or surprise - a key feature in any small unit tactics game -  its technically completely irrelevant where your men are in a firefight as long as they're in one of two locations - half shield/full shield. Full shield locations are scarce and often destructible, so most of the time you're not able to stack the odds meaningfully in your favor, which is the whole purpose of tactics and strategy.

Edited by Drowsy Emperor

I played through the first 3 missions of XCOM: Enemy Unknown

While I'm still inclined to like the game (so far) its not making the best first impression.

The technical issues:

1. There are a lot of scenes zooming in to very low resolution textures. We're talking about Half Life 1 type textures.

2. The facial animations and facial renderings are quite average

Gameplay issues:

1. Arbitrary cover. Only two types without clear benefits. I never know exactly how good my chances are of not getting hit.

2. Linear missions on small maps.

3. Inability to use strategy because the game forces you to stumble around until the aliens show up.

4. Limited tactics when they do show up. Shoot, Grenade, Flank, take cover - rinse, repeat.

4. Limited equipment options. I had a man bleed to death because I chose to take a grenade instead of a medpack (why do I even have to choose?)

Sid Meier once said that what makes strategy games enjoyable is "interesting choices". So far, there were none to be made. Every mission consisted of going from cover to cover (stumbling blindly really) and waiting for the aliens to show up. There is no way to really exploit positioning or surprise - a key feature in any small unit tactics game -  its technically completely irrelevant where your men are in a firefight as long as they're in one of two locations - half shield/full shield. Full shield locations are scarce and often destructible, so most of the time you're not able to stack the odds meaningfully in your favor, which is the whole purpose of tactics and strategy.

The calculations for chance to hit are very simple, each unit has a flat chance to hit: for aliens this is hardcoded for each alien type, for your guys it's your aim stat. Then take 20% off for half-cover, and 40% off for high-cover. You may have noticed that at the start, your chance to hit is either 45% or 25%, which jives with the rookie's normal aim stat of 65. What are the alien's chances? You can check it through the UI I believe, but at normal difficulty, both of the first two types of aliens you encounter have the same hit chance as your rookies. (On classic, they all gain a flat 10% bonus, and the Thin Man another 10% by switching from a plasma pistol to a light plasma rifle) This isn't the full system - there are bonuses for point blank ranges, and different calculations for shotguns and sniper rifles, but is nonetheless true for your "standard" shootout.

For the general gameplay, don't feel the need to hop from cover to cover when not in combat. Since aliens can't shoot you on first contact, there's no risk in leaving your troops out of cover. This comes with the caveat that none of them have exhausted their moves when that happens. So the best approach is to have just one scout make the exploratory first move of your turn, then ensure none of your other guys move further than your initial move. Identify the angle of approach with the most potential cover, but don't feel obligated to use every turn. Never dash unless it's an emergency.

• Like 1

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

I started up a year old save from Skyrim and ran through a dwarven dungeon.  It was boring and took more time than it should have, and so I'll probably not play it for another year.

I always get the urge to load up my save, but this exact thing consistently happens to me everytime, so thanks for pushing that load off another few months for me as well.

• Like 2