Yeah, everything I've heard is that the DVDs of both the series and movie did well. It's never really clear whether that's relative (did well compared to viewership/ movie tickets) or absolute success though, and that's not what the numbers men look at when deciding renewal or sequels.

I reckon that Firefly could have been successful, but probably not on Fox and certainly not the way it was handled there. Farscape and BSG did well enough to get multiple seasons and Farscape at least had a somewhat 'odd' premise (muppets!) as well.

(though I find Jayne to be a refreshing change of personality,)

I realised fairly quickly that he's basically Avon from Blake's 7- perhaps my favourite character of all time! so not at all a bad thing- with a few more 'muscle' characteristics, much as Mal is basically Blake. They even used the premise of one b7 ep ('Orbit') as the background to a Jayne centric Firefly episode.

Edited by Zoraptor
  • Like 2

*Breaking Bad episode ends*

*silence*

....holy bleepitybleepitybleep. That was intense.  I'm going to need time to process that. I might recover by the time Dexter comes on....

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Yeah, **** went down, I was on the edge of my seat the whole time.  This whole season has just been amazing.  They keep cranking the intensity knob up every episode.  How is that even possible at this point?  Where so many good shows have gone out with a whimper, Breaking Bad is going out in a blaze of glory.

Edited by Keyrock

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Yeah, everything I've heard is that the DVDs of both the series and movie did well. It's never really clear whether that's relative (did well compared to viewership/ movie tickets) or absolute success though, and that's not what the numbers men look at when deciding renewal or sequels.

I reckon that Firefly could have been successful, but probably not on Fox and certainly not the way it was handled there. Farscape and BSG did well enough to get multiple seasons and Farscape at least had a somewhat 'odd' premise (muppets!) as well.

(though I find Jayne to be a refreshing change of personality,)

I realised fairly quickly that he's basically Avon from Blake's 7- perhaps my favourite character of all time! so not at all a bad thing- with a few more 'muscle' characteristics, much as Mal is basically Blake. They even used the premise of one b7 ep ('Orbit') as the background to a Jayne centric Firefly episode.

You saw that they've been doing a reimagined Blake's 7 on the radio? It's actually very good.

• Like 1

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

*Breaking Bad episode ends*

*silence*

....holy bleepitybleepitybleep. That was intense.  I'm going to need time to process that. I might recover by the time Dexter comes on....

I've given up on Dexter since Deborah found out. I didn't buy her reaction or the new dynamic at all. 

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

I've given up on Dexter since Deborah found out. I didn't buy her reaction or the new dynamic at all.

I still have mixed feelings about the show as a whole. 1st and 2nd season were decent but for me, there isn't a single character that I actually like or remotely want to root for, including Dexter. They're just all unlikable chrs. (except maybe Batista). And yeah, the last 2 seasons have been pretty eye-rolling in some ways. Yet if I start to watch, it does have the "well now I have to see the next episode" feeling. Like rubber-necking a train wreck or something.

But it's not/never has been a fave show of mine. Still, every season/episode was on our cable VoD (no extra cost) so we've been marathon watching. After last night, only 1 episode (I think) left in the series, so may as well see it through. The guy playing the Brain Surgeon is kind of a hoot. Great psycho eyeball-stare in an otherwise total geek-look. :lol:

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I thought Dexter 1, 2 and 4 were pretty good, but it always looked to be something that would be inevitably overdone and last well past its sell by. Stopped watching part way through the Adama season. Little to no character development, and the antagonists who were the most interesting part (Doakes, RIP you magnificent bastard*; Lithgow) stopped making up for it. While not a wholly fair comparison it just does badly all the things that Breaking Bad does right.

*Wish I could have written RIP, um,  'moneyfunsta!' as Harry Enfield might say, it's the most fitting epitaph for a character ever.

Oh my god Sleepy Hollow! Outstanding. Amaze balls cast, some really cool camera shots, and funny. Best thing is it's not over the top. Revolutionary War history as a backdrop to 2013 with a strong female lead and a sci-fi/fantasy/scarethecrapoutofme theme. Big thumbs up, and I only heard about this show yesterday.   

All Stop. On Screen.

I gave up on Under the Dome after about 4 or 5 episodes I think. I couldn't take anymore of that dufus "evil" idiot son chr. or the teen's story arcs in general. Dean Norris was the only reason to watch, imo.

I gave up on Under the Dome after about 4 or 5 episodes I think. I couldn't take anymore of that dufus "evil" idiot son chr. or the teen's story arcs in general. Dean Norris was the only reason to watch, imo.

Just curious ... are you a huge fan of Stephen King or not?  My wife devours most of his stuff but I'm not sure if she will like Under the Dome or not.  It sounds underwhelming to me.

She loved the TV versions of The Stand, Storm of the Century and Rose Red; was lukewarm about IT and hated both the Langoliers and the Tommyknockers.

Oh my god Sleepy Hollow! Outstanding. Amaze balls cast, some really cool camera shots, and funny. Best thing is it's not over the top. Revolutionary War history as a backdrop to 2013 with a strong female lead and a sci-fi/fantasy/scarethecrapoutofme theme. Big thumbs up, and I only heard about this show yesterday.   

I enjoyed it.  Its not perfect* but it was a pretty good pilot as long as you buy into the central conceit.  Very surprised at some of the events in the story that I wasn't expecting.

Also, was it just me or did it look like they had trouble keeping Orlando Jones' film-makeup right scene from scene?

*spoiler

That Ichabod could come from ~200 years ago and adjust so quickly and understand his surroundings seems to stretch logic.  It'd be nice if an episode down the line someone remarks about how easily he adjusted to the present and make it a plot point.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Just curious ... are you a huge fan of Stephen King or not?  My wife devours most of his stuff but I'm not sure if she will like Under the Dome or not.  It sounds underwhelming to me.

She loved the TV versions of The Stand, Storm of the Century and Rose Red; was lukewarm about IT and hated both the Langoliers and the Tommyknockers.

I used to be a big S. King reader, but since the early to mid-90's I started to get tired of his increasingly predictable, long-winded novels and haven't read many of his things since then. And I couldn't get into the Dark Tower line. His older stuff I still love and re-read.

I can be picky about TV/film adaptations - the only adaptations that I think are great are the films Misery, Shawshank Redemption, and Stand By Me. Everything else varies between "pretty watchable with good parts/aspects" to "torturous". ;)

I did like The Stand for the most part, liked Storm of the Century (without having read that book) and found the kids portions of IT decent but the grown-up sections pretty awful. I'd agree with your wife that Langoliers and Tommyknockers were trash. Langoliers the story I loved to death so that was particularly disappointing.

Anyway, I haven't read Under the Dome, but the series is so-so. It starts off pretty well actually, but the longer I watched the more eye-rolling and annoying it became. Felt like a pretty by the numbers "King cliches" TV treatment. Could be that part of the problem is turning it into such a long series, instead of just 3-5 episodes. That and the actor playing Dean Norris' character's son.

I used to be a big S. King reader, but since the early to mid-90's I started to get tired of his increasingly predictable, long-winded novels and haven't read many of his things since then. And I couldn't get into the Dark Tower line. His older stuff I still love and re-read.

I can be picky about TV/film adaptations - the only adaptations that I think are great are the films Misery, Shawshank Redemption, and Stand By Me. Everything else varies between "pretty watchable with good parts/aspects" to "torturous". ;)

I did like The Stand for the most part, liked Storm of the Century (without having read that book) and found the kids portions of IT decent but the grown-up sections pretty awful. I'd agree with your wife that Langoliers and Tommyknockers were trash. Langoliers the story I loved to death so that was particularly disappointing.

Anyway, I haven't read Under the Dome, but the series is so-so. It starts off pretty well actually, but the longer I watched the more eye-rolling and annoying it became. Felt like a pretty by the numbers "King cliches" TV treatment. Could be that part of the problem is turning it into such a long series, instead of just 3-5 episodes. That and the actor playing Dean Norris' character's son.

I'm not sure if she has read the book, but based on the points of comparison I'm pretty sure she won't enjoy the series.  Thanks for the feedback.  :)

Edited by kgambit

Sleepy Hollow was enjoyable, but what made me super angry was:

"Officer down officer down!"

*cop on other side of town*

"oh crap, it must be this random disheveled guy in front of my car right now"

*everyone takes him seriously*

• Like 1
The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Well its kind of unclear how far away the other cop actually was. But the other cop

was also part of the conspiracy and everyone thought the other cop had lost her faculties when the sheriff was killed

• Like 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Well its kind of unclear how far away the other cop actually was. But the other cop

was also part of the conspiracy and everyone thought the other cop had lost her faculties when the sheriff was killed

The role of Sheriff I'm a little unclear on too. From what I understand they are either an officer of the courts, or the chief of police, while here he was like a beat cop with an office.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

The role of Sheriff I'm a little unclear on too. From what I understand they are either an officer of the courts, or the chief of police, while here he was like a beat cop with an office.

I think they're treating him like an "old west" sheriff, who was actively involved in the policing of the town. In reality I think the Westchester County Public Safety Department is led by a Sherrif but Sleepy Hollow itself has a Chief of Police as its public safety head.

I'm a bit unclear over the delegation of power too - Orlando Jones is playing a police captain, but he seems to have authority over the Sheriff, so I'm thinking that Jones is the Captain of the Westchester County Police (seat in White Plains, not far from Sleepy Hollow about 15 minutes) and that the Sheriff is specific to the town of Sleepy Hollow and falls, at some level, under the direction of Westchester County public safety (thus giving Jones the ability to pull rank on Beharie).