Finished watching Vikings Season 1.  :)

I bought this on DVD.  Originally I thought it might be a good series to show my students at the end of the year when we are done with instructional time, but I'd have to skip over quite a bit!  

I bought this on DVD.  Originally I thought it might be a good series to show my students at the end of the year when we are done with instructional time, but I'd have to skip over quite a bit!  

So did we.  :)  We both loved it.

Just curious: which bits?  It's a bit bloody (okay Vikings - it's a lot bloody  lol) but much less so than the Spartacus Gore fest.  Very little nudity either.

I did some digging and I'm getting mixed returns on the continuity of some parts.  e.g. Aelle of Northumbria became King around 862 but the series puts him as king much earlier.  

I teach 12 year olds, so I have to be somewhat careful with both blood and sex.  Just based on the first episode, the intro where he is sticking his sword through people might be a bit too much.  The bedroom scenes are uncomfortable, I think I can just hit fast forward because they aren't really important to the story and it will keep all my immature boys from flipping out.  

Oddly enough the beheading is fine, they hold up this very fake looking head afterwards and I think the kids will laugh more than anything.

I'm not terribly worried about the continuity, I'm more interested in showing Viking culture and life during the time period, which I think they do well.  I also love all the boatbuilding and navigation stuff they go into.

I teach 12 year olds, so I have to be somewhat careful with both blood and sex.  Just based on the first episode, the intro where he is sticking his sword through people might be a bit too much.  The bedroom scenes are uncomfortable, I think I can just hit fast forward because they aren't really important to the story and it will keep all my immature boys from flipping out.  

Oddly enough the beheading is fine, they hold up this very fake looking head afterwards and I think the kids will laugh more than anything.

I'm not terribly worried about the continuity, I'm more interested in showing Viking culture and life during the time period, which I think they do well.  I also love all the boatbuilding and navigation stuff they go into.

Okay.  I didn't realize you taught 12 yr olds.    :)

The parts at the Viking temple at Upsala are a bit intense too but from some accounts it was actually a lot bloodier.  

Edited by kgambit

I watched most of the season when it came out, but now I'm rewatching as a teacher.  I've only done the first episode so far.

That may sound weird, but it really is a totally different way of watching a movie :p

Doesn't sound weird at all - I can imagine that does require a different perspective.  :)

Just curious: which bits?  It's a bit bloody (okay Vikings - it's a lot bloody  lol) but much less so than the Spartacus Gore fest.  Very little nudity either.

I did some digging and I'm getting mixed returns on the continuity of some parts.  e.g. Aelle of Northumbria became King around 862 but the series puts him as king much earlier.  

I loved Vikings and I did some research around the characters and what should be coming in the next series is going to be very exciting :)

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Heh, I always remember my old History teacher getting us to watch The Untouchables to get a feel for what prohibition meant in the US.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

I loved Vikings and I did some research around the characters and what should be coming in the next series is going to be very exciting :)

LOL  - No spoilers!   

I had to be really careful in this thread when Breaking Bad was airing the last 8 episodes.  SPOILER TAGS!  Use them!  :)

Reminds me a bit of when our poor literature teacher in high school put in for a video copy of MACBETH and ended up with the Roman Polanski version (which was rated R) instead of the earlier one she was trying for. So a class of 15 year olds confronted with naked old witches and heavy violence and a panicked teacher...

Mind you college was no barrier, there was apparently a total break-down in a class showing THE NAME OF THE ROSE when the sex scene came up...

Edited by Amentep

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Finally worked AoS into my schedule and last nights episode was remotely entertaining. Having missed episodes 2-4,

whats the deal with those bracelets he made the two hackers wear? Are they obedience / mind control devices or something?

This is the first time they've been seen. From Coulson's explanations, they appear to disrupt computers when the wearer tries to use one, thus eliminating their hacker skillz.

• Like 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Reminds me a bit of when our poor literature teacher in high school put in for a video copy of MACBETH and ended up with the Roman Polanski version (which was rated R) instead of the earlier one she was trying for. So a class of 15 year olds confronted with naked old witches and heavy violence and a panicked teacher...

Mind you college was no barrier, there was apparently a total break-down in a class showing THE NAME OF THE ROSE when the sex scene came up...

I still can't believe all the lesbi-curious stuff in The Diary of Anne Frank. I kid you not.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

And so Arrow finally dropped the "Ra's Al Ghul" mention into an episode. That was pretty much recognised from Merlyn's backstory of "I met a man who showed me a way...", but now with another guy in that outfit it looks to be the formal uniform of the League of Assassins...

And so Arrow finally dropped the "Ra's Al Ghul" mention into an episode. That was pretty much recognised from Merlyn's backstory of "I met a man who showed me a way...", but now with another guy in that outfit it looks to be the formal uniform of the League of Assassins...

There was a lot of references and easter eggs in the latest episode. Ra's al Ghul, Metamorpho, Black Canary's canary cry, Birds of Prey Clocktower, Amazo. This season is shaping up to be pretty awesome.

Agents of Shield, I think I've seen 4 episodes now. The 5th one I meant to watch but went to bed instead. I think if those two "comic relief" scientists were removed, I might like it a tad better. Having some bits of humor between characters etc. is fine, but those two belong in a comedy-sitcom or something. It's ridiculous and for me really overshadows any suspense/drama they try to create the rest of the time.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I really think one of the scientists is going to die.  I'm leaning towards the male scientist, Fitz, since he's the techie and his skills in that area overlap with Skye's (and I don't think they're planning to kill her). 

But they're also using the scientists interchangeably a lot, which really means there's no story reason to keep both of them (and they're taking time from developing the other characters) and lots of story reason to get rid of one of them.

Hm.

Just found out that after pretty much 30 years since the first season ended..  they've produced a 2nd season to the children's cartoon "The Mysterious Cities of Gold"....

My mind is boggled.

I really think one of the scientists is going to die.  I'm leaning towards the male scientist, Fitz, since he's the techie and his skills in that area overlap with Skye's (and I don't think they're planning to kill her). 

But they're also using the scientists interchangeably a lot, which really means there's no story reason to keep both of them (and they're taking time from developing the other characters) and lots of story reason to get rid of one of them.

Fitz is an engineer, Simmons is a biologist. Fitz's role is dealing with the experimental tech and such they encounter, Skye couldn't fill that role. I did think it was funny having that other hacker dude using SHIELD's crazy no-one-else-on-earth-has-this operating system and being able to hack into electronic locks and such within seconds.

Joined the Disney Movie Club, Gargoyles Season 2 Part 2 is an exclusive, so I bought it.

Anyone watch Once Upon a Time in Wonderland and catch the Star Wars reference? Red Queen and Jafar were discussing what monster they could subject Alice to and Red Queen suggested the Sarlacc, which would digest her for a thousand years.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg