Disney shuts down Lucas Arts

C2B

If LucasArt is gone, does that means Obsidian can finally patch KOTOR2?

Money is not a problem because kickstarter.

Plz plz plz

No. they would have to get Disney's permission. Which is not going to happen. The game is 8 years old. Let. It. Go.

And besides, the game is already patched by fans. It's called TSLRCM.

Make South Park -> THQ dissolves

Pitch new Star Wars game -> LucasArt shut down

What will be the next entity cursed by Obsidian?

inXile? Bethesda?

What are you talking about? Are you actually trying to say that THQ and LucasArts are no more because of Obsidian? Yeah, Obsidian has worked with Bethesda, inXile and Disney among others so we just have to wait and see them die. Maybe not tomorrow or even in a year but I guarantee they are dead in 20 years or so. All because of Obsidian, right? Geez...

Oh no, I just realized something. We are on Obsidian's forums. Obsidian's curse must be on us already!

Ok, I may have gone overboard with this post but seriously, come on.

Plz plz plz

No. they would have to get Disney's permission. Which is not going to happen. The game is 8 years old. Let. It. Go.

>Make South Park -> THQ dissolves

inXile? Bethesda?

What are you talking about? Are you actually trying to say that THQ and LucasArts are no more because of Obsidian? Yeah, Obsidian has worked with Bethesda, inXile and Disney among others so we just have to wait and see them die. Maybe not tomorrow or even in a year but I guarantee they are dead in 20 years or so. All because of Obsidian, right? Geez...

Oh no, I just realized something. We are on Obsidian's forums. Obsidian's curse must be on us already!

What a humorless person  :getlost:

Plz plz plz

>Make South Park -> THQ dissolves

inXile? Bet

hesda?

What a humorless person  :getlost:

They say that loss of humour is the first sign of the Obsidain Curse.

They say that loss of humour is the first sign of the Obsidain Curse.

True dat. And I had lots of humor in my post. Well, sarcasm. Which was as funny as his post. WHO'S THE HUMORLESS ONE NOW, HUH?!

Edit: Actually you might be on to something. When I was reading these forums back in '04 or '05, I remember reading posts by Volourn which were quite positive compared to posts he's writing nowadays*. Something must've happened and now we know what. Damn you Obsidian!

Aaaanyways, Raven salutes LucasArts with release of Jedi Knight II source code.

And I'll have another Star Wars RPG, with another Dark Forces / Jedi Knight game on the side and with extra Tie Fighter sauce, thank you. 

*Or maybe I was drunk.

Edited by Apatia

Jedi Knight 3 please

Play the Force Unleashed...

Okay, not really JK4 (JK3 was sort of released as JK academy), but still some force dude with a lightsaber hopping around.

I think they started to go downhill after the X-wing Trilogy games were finished. Why couldn't they just give fans what the fans actually wanted...though granted I did love the Old republic 1 and 2 as well as the star wars battlefront series.

I played both Force Unleashed games and no way are they true Jedi Knight titles, for one I still wanna be able to switch to my blasters. I always viewed Jedi Academy as a spin off or expansion title to Jedi Outcast, and I still hope for a true Jedi Knight sequel made perferably in Unreal 4 please

On a side note, Raven released the Jedi Outcast source code today (due to the closure) http://sourceforge.net/projects/jedioutcast/?source=directory

Edited by Bokishi

“After evaluating our position in the games market, we’ve decided to shift LucasArts from an internal development to a licensing model, minimizing the company’s risk while achieving a broader portfolio of quality Star Wars games," LucasArts parent company LucasFilm said in a statement.

Sounds more like they want to collaborate with other publishers rather than funding games themself.

“After evaluating our position in the games market, we’ve decided to shift LucasArts from an internal development to a licensing model, minimizing the company’s risk while achieving a broader portfolio of quality Star Wars games," LucasArts parent company LucasFilm said in a statement.

Sounds more like they want to collaborate with other publishers rather than funding games themself.

Yeah, scratching my head a bit here, since obviously there's "publisher" between the two models they seem to be referring here, but it would appear that you're right. Obviously there's a lot of alternatives they have, no way they're letting anyone have an exclusive license to, say, Star Wars, anyway.

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

Plz plz plz

Disney owns KotoRII now.

Fans already fixed bugs/restored unfinished content with an (unoffically) Obsidian-approved patch.

Hm, should be interesting read that source code

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

It's sad that people lost their jobs, but on the other hand I don't think LucasArts has been releasing much lately. Back in the day, they were clearly one of the best developers/publishers out there.

Hopefully this means we will finally see more (and better) Star Wars games, but after I've said that I'm expecting EA to get the license and run it to the ground with day 1 DLC's and yearly releases/updates to the games.

Hate the living, love the dead.

Yeah, scratching my head a bit here, since obviously there's "publisher" between the two models they seem to be referring here, but it would appear that you're right. Obviously there's a lot of alternatives they have, no way they're letting anyone have an exclusive license to, say, Star Wars, anyway.

That's certainly the way it reads, and given Disney's own less than stellar record in games it'd be sensible. But it isn't their modus operandi for just about anything else. Almost exclusively when they have made purchases they have internalised everything as much as possible and avoided licensing. They also have the very LucasArts approach to gaming where they change management and approach every two years. In 2015 the new head will probably be talking about going all internal again.

It's very odd how Disney has struggled internally to develop games.  It's like they are pulling all the right levers but what comes out is garbage.  I just don't get how the Epic Mickey games didn't turn into a gigantic success with the concept and Warren Spector at the helm.  

At least they are savvy enough to see that it isn't working and it is better for them to outsource. 

For more great news involving Disney and Star Wars:

Star Wars 1313 was supposed to be about Boba Fett. - 99.9% chance I would have got that one. 13's AND Boba

Is Disney About to Destroy the SW Expanded Universe? - If Star Wars 7 is as crappy as Phantom Menace, this will easily be a case of the books being a lot better than the movie. Assuming 7 pretty much completely ignores the XU like a lot of people assumes it will, that will make Harold in the Capital Wasteland Oasis look like cupcakes and rainbows to me.

While Drew Karpyshyn was making the Bane trilogy, I picked the first two books up (the third wasn't out at the time.) Obviously, I loved his writing from the Bioware games, and the Mass Effect books that he wrote, so I figured I'd give these a try. I enjoyed those as well. When the third book came out on paperback, and I had it sitting on my desk, the other guy working in my area seen it. I knew he was a big Star Wars fan seeing as how we used to live in the same apartment house before I had kids, so I lent him the first two books as I read the third.

Then as he went on to a different shift, his new troubleshooter seen him reading the books. He told him that he had a bunch of Star Wars books that he got for cheap in a big box from some yard sale (along with Star Trek and other sci-fi books.) So he lent him those, which were the Jedi Academy trilogy (sans the 1st book) and the Black Fleet Crisis trilogy. i figured I'd go on-line, pick up the 1st book, plus the Thrawns. Another troubleshooter on days seen this, and got in on it himself, as well as someone's brother, and a couple of others.

Long story kinda shortened: We now have almost every book from The Bounty Hunter Wars, on (skipping the Yuuzhan Vong ones. - I would've got those too from my ex's brother-in-law, but the becoming an ex thing kinda put a damper on that) plus some of the older ones as well including the Death Troopers/Red Harvest ones, plus the new Old Republic books, naturally.

So, if Disney says FU to all the time we spent reading those to make crappy movies that poop all over the XU, then I can live without not giving them another penny more.

That is, until they release the original trilogy in its original form on DVD. It would be kinda funny if they didn't do that. Just do everything imaginable to piss off almost every Star Wars fan over the age of 20.

You see, ever since the whole Doritos Locos Tacos thing, Taco Bell thinks they can do whatever they want.

So, if Disney says FU to all the time we spent reading those to make crappy movies that poop all over the XU, then I can live without not giving them another penny more.

As someone that doesn't really deal with the expanded universe outside of games, I am confused as to why this is an issue?  It's not like it takes away from the enjoyment you had reading those.

I still enjoy Jedi Knight even if ultimately Kyle Katarn isn't "real."

One of the big things about SW EU, as opposed to the Star Trek one for example, was that it counted and was as much a part of canon as the movies, so long as they were compatible with the movies. Having that removed would remove a lot of the 'point' of them. It wouldn't make them any worse quality wise in an absolute sense- the equivalent would be to something like Han Greedo Both Shot Simultaneously Shot First. You can still try and imagine that Han Shot First, and maybe enjoy the original if you've got laserdisks or whatever, but officially the ridiculous looking CGI mess from the DVDs etc is what actually happened.

Edited by Zoraptor

It's very odd how Disney has struggled internally to develop games.  It's like they are pulling all the right levers but what comes out is garbage.  I just don't get how the Epic Mickey games didn't turn into a gigantic success with the concept and Warren Spector at the helm.  

At least they are savvy enough to see that it isn't working and it is better for them to outsource. 

Eh, that's probably due to the fact that Disney is VERY focused on their image. They can't let Mickey be "Dark" in any way because it'd damage his image.  Kingdom Hearts had all of the darkness in the story be from the "New" or Final Fantasy characters.

Star Wars characters wouldn't have as much image issues.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Eh, that's probably due to the fact that Disney is VERY focused on their image. They can't let Mickey be "Dark" in any way because it'd damage his image.  Kingdom Hearts had all of the darkness in the story be from the "New" or Final Fantasy characters.

Star Wars characters wouldn't have as much image issues.

I don't need Mickey to be dark, we have a plenty of incredibly successful IP's that are also family friendly in games.  What I thought they would be able to pull off is something to compete with Mario, or even Crash Bandicoot or Jak & Dexter.    

Well, I doubt Warren Spector would do that. 

As to the actual adventure games? I think that's more a matter of interest. Disney is really good at making 100 million dollars, not so good at making 5 million. Games might not be something they want to really start digging into because of how much money they'd have to pour into a development cycle to get something good out of it. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Disney_Interactive_Studios_games

And it's not like they haven't done ANYTHING. Split/Second, and Tron 2.0 are pretty good standouts overall.  And LucasArts wasn't known for it's stellar internal development either. 

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Yes, a true Jedi Knight sequel please. 

With g_saberrealisticcombat and g_dismemberment codes in please. 

Force Unleashed was ok, but made lightsabers into wifflebats and Darth Vader into a pansy. Although the prequels pretty much destroyed any menace he previously had. Jedi Knight  2 is still the best lightsaber combat game. 

Can they even make Kotor 3 now? TOR pretty much shows how everything played out hundreds of years after KoTOR and though I haven't gotten there yet (no spoilers please) I heard Revan and the Exile's fates are revealed. 

Day of the Tentacle, Monkey Island, Sam & Max, Full Throttle, Grim Fandango, X-Wing, TIE Fighter, Jedi Knight? Come on. 0/10 trolling right there.

Dun dun dun dunnn duh dunnn... Best Star Wars games ever. Not all that effeminate lightsaber swishing stuff.

That is, until they release the original trilogy in its original form on DVD. It would be kinda funny if they didn't do that. Just do everything imaginable to piss off almost every Star Wars fan over the age of 20.

So, I better hang on to my DVD trilogy with the original cinematic releases, including irrefutable proof that Han shot first.

(downside was, you could only buy them bundled with the crappy ret-conned versions, but nobody forces me to watch those)

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

What I don't get is how anyone thought it was a good idea to begin with?

I mean..really!?

The "Dark and edgy" angle?

Atmosphere exist for a reason. People like stuff for a reason. Compeltely flipping the atmosphere of an established character/franchise is just moronic.

If I go watch MLP I'm not doing it for darkenss and gallons of blood, but for friendship and magic.

If I'm watching Berserk I'm not doing it for friendship and magic.

If I'm watching Buggs bunny, it's for cartoony comedy and not for Sheakspearian drama.

Just at whom are these complete reversals targeted? They sound more like bad fan-fics or bad thought experiments..

Altough I do admit, I might actually be interested in a MLP/Berserk crossover, simply to see pony blood.

* YOU ARE A WRONGULARITY FROM WHICH NO RIGHT CAN ESCAPE! *

Chuck Norris was wrong once - He thought HE made a mistake!