Disney shuts down Lucas Arts

C2B

It could be argued it's because the generation that had the most affinity for the property in the first place is now older, with the idea of, right or wrong, attempting to adapt to that reality. No one's making games with the classic Hanna-Barbera or WB cartoons so it's hard to say whether the traditional sell would have been any more successful. I guess this problem really only applies to properties which cross media types because Mario obviously doesn't have that problem, where inversely Sonic in trying to adapt has just kept on digging deeper.

I have to admit that on a personal preference is for Obsidian to develop just about any other Disney IP other than Star Wars - a property I have absolutely no affection for.

Edited by Humanoid

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

Atmosphere exist for a reason. People like stuff for a reason. Compeltely flipping the atmosphere of an established character/franchise is just moronic.

Then why are you on the Obsidian forums? Because that's like what they do to a large part. Hell, they had a dark and edgy snow white game in development

Also, Imo, my complaint is that Epic Mickey didn't take the idea far enough.

Then why are you on the Obsidian forums?

To mess with you.

It could be argued it's because the generation that had the most affinity for the property in the first place is now older, with the idea of, right or wrong, attempting to adapt to that reality. No one's making games with the classic Hanna-Barbera or WB cartoons so it's hard to say whether the traditional sell would have been any more successful. I guess this problem really only applies to properties which cross media types because Mario obviously doesn't have that problem, where inversely Sonic in trying to adapt has just kept on digging deeper.

What I am saying is that franchise is loved by people because of X. It becomes known for X. X is expected.

Turning it around is bound to rub many people the wrong way - as you are abandoning the roots and what makes the franchinse/character what it is.

Just take a look at the more experimental re-imaginings of Batman and Superman.

And Sonic? Yeah, it's a perfect example of things gone horribly wrong. Nothing worse that a simple, cartoony, carefree game suddenly trying to go all dark, and hip and edgy.

But history repeats itselfs. It's full of games, movies and cartoons that tried to include everything considered "mature" and "trendy" at the time, resuling in horriblness.

• Like 1

* YOU ARE A WRONGULARITY FROM WHICH NO RIGHT CAN ESCAPE! *

Chuck Norris was wrong once - He thought HE made a mistake!

That is, until they release the original trilogy in its original form on DVD. It would be kinda funny if they didn't do that. Just do everything imaginable to piss off almost every Star Wars fan over the age of 20.

Er, they released them on DVD already.  At least in the US; sure they were direct-from-laser disc copies, but they were released on DVD. 

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

There's a spectrum on which the various properties can be graded depending on how much they've been maintained, or inversely, have fallen into disuse. The superhero examples are very much towards the former end of the spectrum, where the other end would be something like, say, the Flintstones - I don't imagine a Flintstones game would have any more cachet embracing their roots than trying something new. Mickey Mouse would be somewhere in between, but probably far enough along that it would not guarantee a loser.

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

"By creating an EA/Origin account for use with Star Wars™: The Old Republic™, I agree that my Star Wars: The Old Republic account information, game play details and data will be shared with LucasArts and used consistently with the LucasArts Privacy Policy."

Well, if they are really shut down I can accept that..  

(Signatures: disabled) 

TOR just took the Revan and Exile stuff directly from the novels instead of establishing anything new, as far as I'm aware.

Yes and no. There is a quad of flashpoints where Revan turns up and basically ends up impotent because he's limited totally to those flashpoints.

Day of the Tentacle, Monkey Island, Sam & Max, Full Throttle, Grim Fandango, X-Wing, TIE Fighter, Jedi Knight? Come on. 0/10 trolling right there.

Dun dun dun dunnn duh dunnn... Best Star Wars games ever. Not all that effeminate lightsaber swishing stuff.

>>That is, until they release the original trilogy in its original form on DVD. It would be kinda funny if they didn't do that. Just do everything imaginable to piss off almost every Star Wars fan over the age of 20.

So, I better hang on to my DVD trilogy with the original cinematic releases, including irrefutable proof that Han shot first.

(downside was, you could only buy them bundled with the crappy ret-conned versions, but nobody forces me to watch those)

HA! Got you beat, I still have my VHS tapes from the 1996 release before the first Special Editions.

Edited by Calax

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

But do you still have a VHS VCR ? Also, the hell, Dark Forces 2 effeminate ? How is that possible with Katarn's manly beard.

Edited by Malcador

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Personally, most of the X-U for SW is junk.  Bad novels written quick and dirty from what I've seen.  A Lot like the Forgotten Realms novels I read...with some of the same authors even.  However, a lot of the SW stuff I simply can't stomach with their expanded universe...so I don't read the Expanded Universe books.  If they do the Zahn trilogy...that's cool.  But the rest of the stuff...toss it...PLEASE!!!!

For every Expanded universe fanboi...there's a hundred of us who don't care about it.  We simply want Disney to actually make a good SW movie.  Disney does that...it's all good.

PS: Avengers, Thor, Ironman, Pirates of Caribbean, Tron Legacy...I think Disney currently has a good thing going with franchise movies right now.  If anyone can pull it off I think Disney could.

Edited by greylord

PS: Avengers, Thor, Ironman, Pirates of Caribbean, Tron Legacy...I think Disney currently has a good thing going with franchise movies right now.  If anyone can pull it off I think Disney could.

Aren't The Avengers, Thor and Ironman all Marvel and Paramount productions?

Avengers wasn't.

Edited by C2B

Disney owns marvel, so they'd have some say anyhow.

But yes, according to imdb all three were made by paramount and marvel. And only the avengers was distributed by Disney.

Edited by Spider

Avengers wasn't.

Hmmm, my bluray version has paramount on the credits, not Disney.  I'm soooo confused!  :blink:

Avengers wasn't.

Hmmm, my bluray version has paramount on the credits, not Disney.  I'm soooo confused!  :blink:

yup, distrubted not produced. Sorry, didn't read your post correctly. Am wrong. :)

Ahhh, Wikipedia explains all.

Also that October, The Walt Disney Company agreed to pay Paramount at least $115 million for the worldwide distribution rights to Iron Man 3 and The Avengers. The deal also allowed Paramount to continue to collect the 8 percent box office fee it would have earned for distributing the film and a marquee credit — placement of the company's logo on marketing materials. As a result, the onscreen production credit reads "Marvel Studios in association with Paramount Pictures" though the film is solely owned, distributed and marketed by Disney. Paramount's Epix retained pay TV rights.

I was wronger than you.  :)

Lots of good memories.

Monkey Islands

Grim Fandango

Super Star Wars/ESB/RotJ

Shadows of the Empire

X-Wing/Tie Fighter

Rebellion!

KotORs

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

That is, until they release the original trilogy in its original form on DVD. It would be kinda funny if they didn't do that. Just do everything imaginable to piss off almost every Star Wars fan over the age of 20.

So, I better hang on to my DVD trilogy with the original cinematic releases, including irrefutable proof that Han shot first.

(downside was, you could only buy them bundled with the crappy ret-conned versions, but nobody forces me to watch those)

I guess they came out around the time when one of my kids was being born. It's probably why it completely went under my radar. Oh well.

So, if Disney says FU to all the time we spent reading those to make crappy movies that poop all over the XU, then I can live without not giving them another penny more.

As someone that doesn't really deal with the expanded universe outside of games, I am confused as to why this is an issue?  It's not like it takes away from the enjoyment you had reading those.

I still enjoy Jedi Knight even if ultimately Kyle Katarn isn't "real."

If they get rid of it, it basically turns it into the most carefully crafted bits of fan fiction ever, and completely diminishes their value (to me anyways.) I would have been better off finishing off my Poirot collection instead.

When they make the new movies, they have all of this great material to use. There's no reason to throw it all out.

I'm not the biggest Star Trek fan. I liked the original series, and watched some TNG/DSN. I'm not sure how the die hards feel about the re-boot, but at least it gives a reason for it, with the Romulans and Spock accidentally going back in time. I'm not sure how those books worked if they just filled in for the 5 year mission or what. Star Wars chose to continue the universe with games and books. It certainly some suit in Disney's right to toss it out, but on the other hand, I wont buy another Star Wars XU book if they do.

You see, ever since the whole Doritos Locos Tacos thing, Taco Bell thinks they can do whatever they want.