Movies You've Seen Recently

LadyCrimson

So they've finally finished that Ender's Game movie. The trailer looks very impressive but they appear to have given away at least one of the most important plot twists :facepalm:. I wonder if they're going to change the ending since Speaker for the Dead cannot possibly translate into a movie.

Edited by Serrano

So they've finally finished that Ender's Game movie. The trailer looks very impressive but they appear to have given away at least one of the most important plot twists :facepalm:. I wonder if they're going to change the ending since Speaker for the Dead cannot possibly translate into a movie.

For sequels they should juat go with the Enders Shadow series. I found them much better.

• Like 2
The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Cabin in the Woods. I had a feeling I wouldn't like it, and I was right. I've got to at least give them credit for the ending.

I thought it was a silly twist on the genre, and had a good enough cast to make it pretty entertaining.  Kind of a tribute to stoners flick.  

He dies in the beginning and survives the end, actually.

I'm not entirely sure of that, he could be a manifestation of Robert's mind.

As in the Jamaican? How did you come to that conclusion?

More like the reporter.  The Jamaican blew up because of those little light fairies.  I didn't delve into it too much, but the whole inner monologue John has going in Robert's head made me question if he was real.

Predators. That was one of the most uninspired flat out boring and cheapest films I've ever seen, an insult to the original ''Predator''. What a waste of time. This garbage doesn't even deserve a witty well written film critic.

• Like 1

I gazed at the dead, and for one dark moment I saw a banquet. 

Cloud Atlas - weird movie. Beautiful, lyrical, but weird. I think I understood most of it but parts, especially the end, was "wait, what, how'd they get there?"

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Cloud Atlas - weird movie. Beautiful, lyrical, but weird. I think I understood most of it but parts, especially the end, was "wait, what, how'd they get there?"

I really liked it..

Interestingly only 3 of the stories might've been "real", Cavendish's, the future island and Somni one.. The Luis Rey (the reporter) story is a book Cavendish is reading as we see on the train and since her stories ties into the story of the young composer and he is reading the story of the ship, so all of those might be fictions.. oh and the off world colonies were unaffected by the war Somni and the general ignited so in the end they were simply picked up by a ship and flown there after they made contact.

Fortune favors the bald.

I really liked it..

Interestingly only 3 of the stories might've been "real", Cavendish's, the future island and Somni one.. The Luis Rey (the reporter) story is a book Cavendish is reading as we see on the train and since her stories ties into the story of the young composer and he is reading the story of the ship, so all of those might be fictions.. oh and the off world colonies were unaffected by the war Somni and the general ignited so in the end they were simply picked up by a ship and flown there after they made contact.

I haven't read the book (as usual), and went into it knowing nothing but that the preview/ad made it look like some reincarnation romance/mystery/drama or something, so any confusion I have probably is largely related to that. I didn't catch what you mention and that does make it more interesting.

The performances were great and it was interesting seeing the actors playing different people all throughout, with a few moments of drama being fairly affecting, but it was still confusing wondering what the heck all those stories had to do with each other/what the point was. I kept waiting for some bigger reveal about why these people/groups seemed to be always tossed together every time but got nothing. A little over my head philosophy wise or something.

The chr. makeup (+CGI?) overall was great too ... except when they were trying to make some of the actors Asian. I understand they wanted to have actor continuity, but that did not work. :lol:

• Like 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Watched STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS which I thought was pretty good but suffered a bit through some clumsy plotting

For the opening to work they have to "regress" Kirk to the person he was at the beginning of the last film, as opposed to being the Kirk from the end of the last film. At least it was short lived, but it didn't seem to match up with where we'd left the character and instead was there to reinforce some relationships which would be important later in the story as well as give something for Kirk to "learn" as the story developed.

Or for another example Scotty being forced to quit by Kirk - it served the story in that it freed up Scott to get aboard Admiral Marcus' ship, but it didn't really seem to fit either of the characters and they should have found a better way to get Scott to that point (because it also weakens the rationale for Scotty to listen to Kirk when asks his help without much explanation).

I also kind of feel they felt too beholden to the previous continuity. It kind of makes sense here to address and they manage to move Starfleet back to the science exploration focus from the military focus that I know many worried about after the first film, but they really need to hit us with something brand-new next time out.

I later watched WEREWOLF: THE BEAST AMONG US a relatively low-budget Universal werewolf film. They kept me guessing who the werewolf was going to be for awhile which was nice. The movie is sort of B-movie fun, kind of over-the-top in its way with its semi-steam-punk Van Helsing influenced Werewolf hunters.

Even later in the weekend I watched PRIMEVAL the highly fictionalized account of giant killer crocodile "Gustave". It was a bit ridiculous and somewhat vacillates between wanting to be about the rebels/war going on vs being about a killer monster crocodile. But I enjoyed it. Also weird to see Gideon Emery in front of the camera after years of hearing him doing voice-overs for video games (a bit disappointing that he doesn't get to go all Fenris from Dragon Age II on the crocodile though... :p)

Even later than the previous even later in the weekend I re-watched SNOW WHITE AND THE HUNTSMAN. Its an enjoyable film, the villains are quite hissable in the classic sense. The biggest complaint I had - this time and last time - is that they give one half of the titular duo - Snow White - very little to do. I know its cool to diss on Kristen Stewart (I've only seen her in one other film - as a kid in Cold Creek Manor) but I don't think its a problem of the actress so much as the character spends the majority of the movie reacting to what other people do around her rather than being the central character who does things herself.

Edited by Amentep

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

He dies in the beginning and survives the end, actually.

I'm not entirely sure of that, he could be a manifestation of Robert's mind.

As in the Jamaican? How did you come to that conclusion?

More like the reporter.  The Jamaican blew up because of those little light fairies.  I didn't delve into it too much, but the whole inner monologue John has going in Robert's head made me question if he was real.

You mean Arnie?

John's very real, though. In fact, David Wong and John Cheese are literally both real people. But even in-Universe.

John is still one of the main characters in the sequel, whereas the Reporter does not appear on account of not being real.

One of the things that bothers me about the movie is that it removes the significance of the Axe riddle. In the book, the riddle is foreshadowing.

David, in fact, has died and has been replaced with a Korrok clone that is entirely the same.

Edited by TrueNeutral

Watched STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS which I thought was pretty good but suffered a bit through some clumsy plotting

For the opening to work they have to "regress" Kirk to the person he was at the beginning of the last film, as opposed to being the Kirk from the end of the last film. At least it was short lived, but it didn't seem to match up with where we'd left the character and instead was there to reinforce some relationships which would be important later in the story as well as give something for Kirk to "learn" as the story developed.

Or for another example Scotty being forced to quit by Kirk - it served the story in that it freed up Scott to get aboard Admiral Marcus' ship, but it didn't really seem to fit either of the characters and they should have found a better way to get Scott to that point (because it also weakens the rationale for Scotty to listen to Kirk when asks his help without much explanation).

I also kind of feel they felt too beholden to the previous continuity. It kind of makes sense here to address and they manage to move Starfleet back to the science exploration focus from the military focus that I know many worried about after the first film, but they really need to hit us with something brand-new next time out.

I feel like there was a dropped a plot thread involving kirk. They kept mentioning that Kirk's vitals were off, but nothing really came of it, this might have explained that Scotty interaction

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

I feel like there was a dropped a plot thread involving kirk. They kept mentioning that Kirk's vitals were off, but nothing really came of it, this might have explained that Scotty interaction

You may be right; if so I wonder if it was cut because the idea that Kirk was "ill" (possibly even dying) would undercut his sacrifice at the end? To be honest I'd forgotten that entire thread until you brought it up.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

In an hour I shall be sitting in the theater watching Benedict Cumberbatch the new Star Trek movie. Better be at least entertaining. I think it will be. I'll bring my sunglasses in case of lens flare.

• Like 1

ST:Into Darkness - I don't know. The first half was fun/decent and the humor bits worked well. And of course Cumberbatch was awesome. But the 2nd half became ... well, they were trying for homage I guess, but it went too far and I was sitting there rolling my eyes at that point. Especially with the (spoilerspoilerspoiler)

Khaaaaan scream. From Spock. Which made me want to scream back "Nooooooo!" It was a bit too much.

Also, as soon as the "don't go in there/radiation" bit was mentioned, I knew the tribble foreshadowing was coming and thus there was no suspense. It's good to know they can cure immediate death now too, since McCoy made a serum.

That said, it was fun. I might like it more on hindsight as well. That's what happened to me with the first new Trek film.

"I'm still waiting."

It's coming...

I just needed to rewatched the '74 version Great Gatsby. Outside of some pleasantness, it was rather drab. I like Robert Redford overall, but he was rather subpar in this one. Fia's Daisy was hit or miss. Tom was a joke.  I give thumbs up to the Wilson character who was actually gvien some screen time. Overall, i'd give the movie a 6.5/10

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

I saw the '74 Gatsby in highschool history class. Had a teacher who liked to show his students movies now and then. Not one of those movies I'd probably watch on my own but I liked it a fair amount when sitting in a classroom. :lol: It is really slow and 70's dated of course...and last time I viewed it was probably in my early 30's. I'd guess if I saw it now I'd probably get impatient with it. :)

My (possible) issue with the new Gatsby, from what I've seen/read, is if they put too many time anachronisms in it. Like, I've read a few reviewers mention music not appropriate to the time period or something.

Just watched a German movie called ''Das Boot'', Directed by Wolfgang Peterson. Already 33 years old its still one of the best and most realistic films that have ever been made.

Its about a German submarine hunting British ships at the very end of the 2nd world war, its about the epic struggle of hunting and being hunted.

The great thing about this movie is you can have no freaking clue about submarines, don't care about the second world war and I can still guarantee that you'll like this film because its just so well made and so extremely thrilling.

Hell, I don't care about submarines at all but I think this move is magnificent, its NOTHING like the usual one dimensional bland world war hero movies.

A must-see if you care about good films.

Got an 8.4 on IMDB: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0082096/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

I recommend the blu-ray directors cut, very good quality and cheap too. Here is the blu-ray trailer:

I gazed at the dead, and for one dark moment I saw a banquet. 

Das Boat is one of my all time faves. I have the director's cut with all that extra time, but it's not bluray. :/

...has it really been that long? Gah. Not that I saw it at release, more like 5-8 years later, but still.