Movies You've Seen Recently

LadyCrimson

I think it's only fair to state at this point that the only two comic book heroes I recognise are Judge Dredd and Jesse Custer. Everyone else might as well be saving lives using a note from their mum.

Careful Wals, we don't want to give them any ideas...

Is Dredd still in print?

Of course Dredd is still in print. The Galaxy's Greatest Comic still comes out weekly, with Biff Clenchteeth in almost every issue.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=etPYl1OQoqk

I still love that clip.

RE: Superman being all powerful

In the 70's they got to the point where superman just blew out a sun like you'd blow up a balloon. They made a hard reset with him in Man of Steel (the comics) in the 80's. That's also when Lex Luthor went from being a guy in a green suit with rocket boots to a businessman.

Since then he's been jumping between power levels like a crazy person. Some weeks he's fist fighting the ArchAngel Gabriel after stabilizing the moon by hand, others he's in a slugging match with Doomsday and dying.  Yes both of those really happened, and I've got Superman 75 around here somewhere. It's also why his vulnerability's got magic added to it.

That said, ultimately, I think that Superman stories can't be about the fight unless you make superman an idiot (who else was screaming about the Doomsday fight). So you have to basically make it about humanity.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

I think it's only fair to state at this point that the only two comic book heroes I recognise are Judge Dredd and Jesse Custer. Everyone else might as well be saving lives using a note from their mum.

Is Dredd still in print?

Of course Dredd is still in print. The Galaxy's Greatest Comic still comes out weekly, with Biff Clenchteeth in almost every issue.

Did you see the new Dredd movie? It was much better than the Stallone version.

http://youtu.be/PifvRiHVSCY

who else was screaming about the Doomsday fight

I was. IMO that and Knightfall were terribly thought-out gimmicks that are second only to the Spider-Man Clone Saga and OMD/BND in terms of crappiness. Superior Spider-Man might usurp that position if it is allowed to go on too long though.

That isn't really saying much...

Who is publishing it now, 2000AD or IDW? I can't seem to find any trades of it here in Houston.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

who else was screaming about the Doomsday fight

I was. IMO that and Knightfall were terribly thought-out gimmicks that are second only to the Spider-Man Clone Saga and OMD/BND in terms of crappiness. Superior Spider-Man might usurp that position if it is allowed to go on too long though.

That isn't really saying much...

In this case it is. Dredd 3D was great.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

"Did you see the new Dredd movie? It was much better than the Stallone version."

No.

See now Volo. this is what makes you a troll's troll. A willingness to say or do quite literally _anything_ just to provoke a response.

You poor deranged bastard.

• Like 1

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

The Virgin Spring (1960)

One of the most intense movies that i have ever seen. Not recommended when having a hangover.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Watched Shohei Imamura's chaotic Pigs and Battleships. I.... I can't really say what it is - noir, black comedy, surrealist, coming of age neo-realism?

Well, it didn't start like that, but I've been told before viewing that it's a film defined by its ending, and that's not wrong at all. The fact can be used as both criticism and praise, but ultimately I'm undecided. I may be in a daze, but I can't say I didn't appreciate it.

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

"See now Volo. this is what makes you a troll's troll. A willingness to say or do quite literally _anything_ just to provoke a response.

You poor deranged bastard."

What you see as trolling, you coward, is what I see as simply telling the truth.

What's so special about the new Dredd? Yes, it was more serious than the Stallone version but there was nothing special about it. Well, except the newbie who was a better sidekick than the joke in Stallone's. Butm, the main villainess was one note and boring. Dredd himself was bland as can be and as the main character he should be interesting. He wasn't. I'll take the over the top Stallone version any day. though neither are all that greta to begin with.

Stallone Dredd = 7/10

New Dredd = 6/10

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

"See now Volo. this is what makes you a troll's troll. A willingness to say or do quite literally _anything_ just to provoke a response.

You poor deranged bastard."

What you see as trolling, you coward, is what I see as simply telling the truth.

What's so special about the new Dredd? Yes, it was more serious than the Stallone version but there was nothing special about it. Well, except the newbie who was a better sidekick than the joke in Stallone's. Butm, the main villainess was one note and boring. Dredd himself was bland as can be and as the main character he should be interesting. He wasn't. I'll take the over the top Stallone version any day. though neither are all that greta to begin with.

Stallone Dredd = 7/10

New Dredd = 6/10

I think that's where you fail to pick up the extreme Englishness of Dredd..

You see him as bland, where he's more a force of nature who lives purely by a set of white/black rules and never compromises them.

The Stallone film was fun as a movie, and it tends to follow the more zany elements of the comic, but it lost out the grittyness that always balanced out the wacky in that quest to make it all summer blockbuster popcorn action. Dredd 3D leaves the wackyness and focuses more on the extreme crime and core nature of the Judges.

The new Dredd drives back to what Dredd actually is. In most stories the protagonist undergoes some form of character evolution, they change and learn something from what they've undergone. In Dredd, there's only one thing that changes. That's his willingness to accept that Anderson has what it takes to become a Judge. Apart from that, he's exactly the same type of character that started the film. Stern, unforgiving, exact in what he does, and pretty much the walking stiff-upper lip. ;)

You see the villainess as one note and boring, and I think they captured the idea of that type of gang leader quite well. Former prostitute turned underworld crimelord by being smarter and more vicious then anyone around her. There might be certain elements of cliche to it, but that doesn't make it one note.

It comes down to perception and what you take away. You took away that, I came out with a different view.

Stallone Dredd - fun but silly. amusing lines and cheesy action. Entertaining and I wouldn't flip the channel if I found it on tv.

Dredd 3D - enjoyable, grim, mayhaps a little claustrophic, captured the Dredd I know from the comics. One I plan to get the dvd of sometime in the near future.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

"You see him as bland, where he's more a force of nature who lives purely by a set of white/black rules and never compromises them."

I get that but it was boring. There's been plenty of characters with that description in stories that are done much better.

"You see the villainess as one note and boring, and I think they captured the idea of that type of gang leader quite well. Former prostitute turned underworld crimelord by being smarter and more vicious then anyone around her. There might be certain elements of cliche to it, but that doesn't make it one note."

She was one note. There was no depth. And, she certainly wasn't smart. Vicious, yes, but not smart.

I liked the movie but it simply wasn't as enjoyable as the Stallone version.

I do like the bigotry used when comes to so called 'British' material.. oh, you didn't like it b/c you justb don't udnerstand. I get it just fine. Some British humour, for example, is funny. Others is not. It has nothing to do with 'not getting it'.

Edited by Volourn

Raithe isn't giving the appeal enough credit. I just checked Rotten Tomatoes. One of the comments was that Dredds's impassive and inflexible response to things makes him actualy funny. And it's true.

Your problem, my humourless chum, is that discipline and rigidity is part of your nature. But to you it's just boring. to a chestertonian it's more riotous than the flowers in spring.

-Elwood Blues

Just watched ' Scanner Darkly' Loved it. Bit slow midway, but some real Fear and Loathing mentalness throughout.

-Elwood Blues

Is Dredd still in print?

I read a piece on how the Stallone Dredd movie all but killed off the comic. Matter of fact there is very little spill over from the successful superhero movies. You might see an immediate spike in comic sales leading up to the movie, but it always goes away and you run the risk of doing permanent damage to your brand. Only a superhero factory like Marvel can afford to hit and miss. Daredevil anyone ?.

Dredd is one of the genuinely cool things in this world and it's nice to see it was able to bounce back with a decent movie adaptation.

• Like 1

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

I read a piece on how the Stallone Dredd movie all but killed off the comic. Matter of fact there is very little spill over from the successful superhero movies. You might see an immediate spike in comic sales leading up to the movie, but it always goes away and you run the risk of doing permanent damage to your brand. Only a superhero factory like Marvel can afford to hit and miss. Daredevil anyone ?.

Dredd is one of the genuinely cool things in this world and it's nice to see it was able to bounce back with a decent movie adaptation.

To be fair, when the Affleck Daredevil was made, Marvel licensed the rights and wasn't as involved as they were with later films.

I did really enjoy the new Dredd movie and am very happy that the comic managed to bounce back, now if only I could get them here in the US.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

"Daredevil anyone ?."

Daredevil > both versions of Dredd. Daredevil is one of the better comic book films. Period.

Only a troll will claim that Daredevil sucks.

Edited by Volourn

"Daredevil anyone ?."

Daredevil > both versions of Dredd. Daredevil is one of the better comic book films. Period.

Only a troll will claim that Daredevil sucks.

The theatric daredevil is *cough* TERRIBLE. The Extended cut? Quite good (although Colin Farrell haming it up is out of sorts)

Really?  I find Daredevil and that one with his wife unwatchable.  I generally enjoy even the bad comic book movies too, like every Punisher.

The Thomas Jane Punisher is awesome in it's insanity. Elektra was horrible I agree

For those who don't know, the director of Daredevil has created a directors cut of DD which fixes a LOT of the issues with it, and digs deeper into the real issues somebody would have to deal with if they had super senses etc.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Punisher: War Zone was my favorite Punisher flick.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Just watched ' Scanner Darkly' Loved it. Bit slow midway, but some real Fear and Loathing mentalness throughout.

although I love everything by Linklater I dare you to watch Waking Life in one go 

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

Watched Federico Fellini's Amarcord, if only because I was looking through my library alphabetically. Having previously watched his later La citta delle donne, this is as straightforward as Fellini gets - though those looking for a plot thread will be disappointed. It is a collection, or recollection of fragments of his experiences growing up in pre-war Italy; unlike Francois Truffaut's equally autobiographical Le quatre cents coups[/url] (which pops up even earlier in the alphabetical list), Fellini unabashedly embraces the sentimentality and nostalgia of his youth, and though it deals with death and the looming grip of fascism, it never dwells or broods on it.

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

Heh,a  guy I know watched "A Clockwork Orange" for the first time in his life over the weekend.  He was all "Why the **** didn't you guys warn me about this film??"

• Like 1

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."