Movies You've Seen Recently

LadyCrimson

But wasn't Riddick the emperor of a fearsome space roman army by the end of the last film? How does he still find himself in such precarious situations? 

The plot really hasn't been revealed, but from what I've pieced together (and this is an estimated guess), Riddick is betrayed by the Necromongers and dumped on the planet and left for dead.

Karl Urban's Vaako is rumored to be in the new film, so I'd suggest his death in CHRONICLES was a subterfuge and he's behind it.

Why the new set of mercenaries come after Riddick and who is behind them is a mystery.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

watched Sean Penn's The Pledge with Jack Nicholson. and holy ****. it's so good. Jack Nicholson plays a retiring detective who witnesses a particularly gruesome murder crime scene on his last day on the job. he pledges to find the murderer, whatever it takes. and as we find out later in the movie it will take a lot, as a matter of fact it takes all of him.

5/5

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

watched Sean Penn's The Pledge with Jack Nicholson.

Hm. Never heard of this one. I'll have to check it out. :)
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I saw a movie called 'Brake' yesterday. The entire film is one guy stuck in a box with a radio. Literally, the film never switches to other characters or flashbacks, it's just one guy in a confined space for one hour and twenty minutes trying to figure out why he's there and escape. And it's brilliant, I cannot believe they kept it entertaining and suspenseful for that long. The ending is reminiscent of Mass Effect 3 where you wish they'd cut to credits just a little earlier but I'm glad I watched it.

Edited by Serrano

Oz: The Great and Powerful. They could have done a lot better than James Franco, and while Mila Kunis is perfect as Theodora the Good, [spoilerS]once she becomes the witch of the west she is badly miscast.[/spoilerS] Overall I enjoyed it a lot. Some of the obvious scenes jammed in for 3d felt out of place in 2d, but the design work was well done, and the nods to the classic film fit perfectly. I particularly liked the china doll character. Her effects work was excellent and her voice actor did a fantastic job.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Jack the Giant Slayer.

I was pretty disappointed in that one. I wasn't expecting awesome, but it wasn't even all that entertaining. And yeah, some of the effects were pretty lackluster. :)
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Identity Thief - Pretty funny comedy.  Nothing groundbreaking, but entertaining enough.

We've been watching a lot of movies in the RV.  I'm enjoying the Nick version of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles with my son, it's very well done.  Also we watched an animated movie called Escape from Earth that was more entertaining than expected.  

Oh, and Frankenweenie, which was sad and scary and very much a Tim Burton flick.

Hansel and Gretel, with Jeremy Renner. I was expecting something a little more absurdly amusing ala Army of Darkness. Since it wasn't, I'd give this one a low score. But it did have what appeared to be a Siamese Twin witch with bizarre, horror-creature like fighting agility.

Saw Man of Steel, it was ok I suppose. The fights could have been more DBZ like, was really hoping for a beamlock with Zod and Superman

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Crimson Tide. Hadn't seen it in a while. It's no Das Boot, but it's still an entertaining flick. But mostly, I just miss Gene Hackman (in films..he's still alive).

Watched MAN OF STEEL and enjoyed it.

Also watched Battle Royale for the first time; it was good but I feel like there's some sort of overarching theme that I'm not quite fully grasping.  The film feels like its making a statement, I'm not 100% sure I got the statement though.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Crimson Tide. Hadn't seen it in a while. It's no Das Boot, but it's still an entertaining flick. But mostly, I just miss Gene Hackman (in films..he's still alive).

Also has one of Hans Zimmer's best pieces, in my opinion, as well.

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

So Undercover - Why did I watch this? i dunno. Paint by the numbers. Mostly entertaining but nothing earthshattering. It seemed to take itself a little more seriously than i thought it would. 6.5/10

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Oblivion.Generic Sci-Fi film, bad illogical ending, plotholes, predictable story.  Andrea Riseborougs acting was very good though, Tom Cruise was mediocre as always and man, an old rotten tree stump can act better than Olga Kurylenko. 4.5/10

I gazed at the dead, and for one dark moment I saw a banquet. 

This Is What Winning Looks Like

a very interesting documentary on the Afghan War and how US troops withdrawal from Afghanistan is going to affect the country. It shows the filmmaker follow a troop of Afghan National Army on operations, it also shows Afghan National Police and its corrupt commanders. He talks with a US Marines major, who reveals some of the gruesome thing going on on a daily basis, that are considered by a lot of afghans norm. 

I won't say it's eyeopening, but it confirms my worst fears about what goes on in that country. It's up on YouTube, and if you're interested in Afghan War and NATO's current role in "bringing peace" to the country, definitely watch it. 

• Like 1
Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

Yeah, I saw that a while ago. Kinda makes me lose hope, so buyer's beware.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif