EA lives in a different reality

NOK222

Somehow I got confused and thought that by Awakening he was talking about Arrival, the ME2 dlc...

I didn't think there was anything in particular wrong with the expansion, I thought it was pretty good even with interesting concepts and all.

"I was on BSN since it's founding, I started seeing the shift when they
released Awakening. Then it got worst from there, culminating into the
Dragon Age 2 fiasco."

There was no shift. The BIO boards always had their share of 'haters'. When you sell millions of copies you will have your share of 'em. *shrug*

• Like 2

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

I could say the same, Syraxis, but I can imagine EA publishing/developing a game that would interest me if this--and Origin--were not at issue. Past a certain point it doesn't matter whether the game is balanced for those with or without item packs and whether that additional companion available as release-day DLC will be important to the story. As a consumer, I don't want to have to think about what constitutes the complete game. As soon I as find myself worrying about such matters, I begin to associate the game in question with that unfun feeling. It's easiest at that point to make the simpler decision not to buy.

• Like 1

EA Labels president Frank Gibeau speaking about SimCity always online,

"DRM is a failed dead-end strategy; it's not a viable strategy for the gaming business. So what we tried to do creatively is build an online service in the SimCity universe and that's what we sought to achieve. For the folks who have conspiracy theories about evil suits at EA forcing DRM down the throats of Maxis, that's not the case at all."

A rose by any other name...  Do EA think people don't realise that their "online service" is still just DRM despite the relabeling?

http://www.shacknews.com/article/78444/eas-gibeau-drm-is-a-failed-dead-end-strategy

• Like 2

How on earth could it get worse?

They move all content into the cloud ? :)

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

How on earth could it get worse?

They move all content into the cloud ? :)

Hush, you. Don't give them any ideas. ;)

....that would definitely put me off (new) gaming permanently.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

A rose by any other name...  Do EA think people don't realise that their "online service" is still just DRM despite the relabeling?

They've obviously been learning from Paradox's "our games are DRM free. Oh sure, they come with mandatory Steam, but that isn't DRM, it's fluffy bunnies, waving daffodils and a warm breeze wafting off the Mediterranean, not DRM. Because our games are DRM free ergo anything that comes with them aren't DRM! Quod Erat Demonstrandum, fra'". They're both using spinning like a top.
  • Like 5

I can play offline with steam though

And this is a very, very good thing for the consumer.

http://cbrrescue.org/

Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forests and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoors experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person.----Fred Bear

http://michigansaf.org/

yeah, not only with steam do i not have to worry about whether or not EA servers are up today if i want to play my games, i can actually unplug the internet from my pc and can still play all my steam games, its a pretty different form of DRM than always online

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

EA would say that is isn't equivalent to steam games in general though. After all, you don't need to be online to play Origin games in general either- and Origin's offline actually works consistently rather than randomly deciding to stop working whenever most inconvenient- but you do need to be online to play some steam games as well. Valve would say that they're games that are designed from the ground up as being MP games, but that is exactly what EA says about SimCity as well. ie both would claim that they don't use (always online) DRM but the games are fundamentally designed around MP instead.

And in any case, any game that requires Steam (or Origin/ Uplay for that matter) to be running at the same time is using DRM whether it's always online or not.

• Like 1

Can you please specify which steam game require to be online to play? Also, Simcity never was designed as multiplayer game(well all before the last one). Last one have only some minor social features and as some already show doesnt need to be online to play offline if they wish. But still its their product and who dont like it dont have to buy it (like myself). Then they should not be shocked when their selling numbers will drop down more...

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

Team Fortress 2

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

Well its MP game without single player so I can see why you have to. I dont whine that GW2 are not playable offline as well. But are you sure? I recall playing it on some lanparty without internet access... Counter-strike as well and they are similiar as far as I recall...

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

Steam sells MMOs which was what I was thinking of primarily- Steam does not say they have 'always online' DRM and their justification for that would be that, well, they're online games, duh, they have to be online. Which is exactly what EA is saying.

Simcity 4 was best part of a decade ago, and even Societies was six years ago- it took less time for WC3 to become an MMO. Why doesn't Blizzard offer an offline mode for WoW since offline MMOs do very well for Bethesda, after all? For all practical purposes it is for the exact same reasons as EA made Simcity always online or Valve has a client or companies love the idea of MMOs- DRM, captive audience, metrics, three things that companies love.

I'm not defending EA in particular, I'd far prefer an offline Simcity personally and practically, and haven't (and likely won't) buy it due to the online requirement.

Well its MP game without single player so I can see why you have to. I dont whine that GW2 are not playable offline as well. But are you sure? I recall playing it on some lanparty without internet access... Counter-strike as well and they are similiar as far as I recall...

Yes it is multiplayer, but the question was about online only game, not online only SP game ;) AAAAnd comparing it with CS is wrong, because CS can be played offline, because you can play solo with bots, which is not case for TF2 AFAIK... (correct me if I am wrong)...

And I have seen lot of MP only games played offline at some LAN parties as well, because some guys were bright enough to cut-off the online requirements of these games with a Razor or two and brought handmade dedicated server ;)

Well I cant argue if you put EA - Singleplayer game with online requirement vs Valve multiplayer game with online requirement. We can at least agree that we disagree :) . The biggest difference is that I think that Simcity is SP game with some Social MP which is not essential for game itself and you opinion is that it is MP only game (even MMO maybe if you compare it to WoW?).

Yup, but I was not comparing it to Sim City anyway, I was just answering your question with the first game, which came to my mind :p No need to bash EA further, they are doing a good job by themselves :p

http://consumerist.com/2013/03/18/here-are-your-contestants-for-the-2013-worst-company-in-america-tournament/

The finalists should be up today. Say what you will about EA, even with DLC, I've never paid an additional $18 or $21 in fees for a $35 ticket before like I did when I went to see Henry Rollins a few years back. EA doesn't charge me premiums for buying their stuff online, and printing out stuff with my own ink and paper. EA also doesn't tell me a game is sold out on EA.com, but then direct me to Origin.com where plenty of the exact same thing is available, but at 2 or 3 times (or more) the price.

As much as much as EA has pissed me off over the years, and too many good studios have gone there to die, there is at least some redeeming qualities to them.

Ticketmaster is nothing more than a treacherous leach.

You see, ever since the whole Doritos Locos Tacos thing, Taco Bell thinks they can do whatever they want.

http://consumerist.com/2013/04/08/worst-company-in-america-final-death-match-bank-of-america-vs-ea-part-ii/

The finals are on.

As a friendly reminder, this year:

Nobody from EA stole my muscle car

Nobody from EA replaced my bank machine with a different one with higher fees

Nobody from EA screwed up my order so I owed $14,500 more than it should have been

Nobody from EA demands to speak to my dead mother about payment that she has missed since her death, and will only talk to her about it despite receiving 4 copies of her death certificate including one by hand.

ect.. ect... ect...

EA DID however should have called the newest Sim City, Sim City Online and screwed up that launch.

Dead Space 3 wasn't as scary as the other two, and Micro-transactions kinda suck in a single player game.

On the other hand, Origin doesn't log me out of offline mode.

#bias #howtheheckdidticketmasternotdoalotmorethanthat

You see, ever since the whole Doritos Locos Tacos thing, Taco Bell thinks they can do whatever they want.