PS4

Bokishi

People at the conference obviously didn't recognise the Diablo 2 soundtrack. Yeah, Diablo 3 will work on consoles, not that big of a surprise. When conquering the world was mentioned, I thought obviously WoW or even their new MMO. Was it called Titan or something?

Bungie: Persistent, grow, and customize. Subscription? Micro-transactions?

That was really disappointing, already knew about the hardware through leaks, and nothing really new in terms of the games. Why show trailers at a live streaming event? Some old widely available trailers.

Edited by AwesomeOcelot

So it'll try to figure out what game you might next purchase via your tastes and preload it? Is that what I'm hearing or did I misunderstand. :ninja:

edit: now it seems like some think they meant being able to play while still finishing a download. Which makes perfect sense, except I swear I heard something about anticipating your next purchase. Maybe I have the reference points mixed up. Bah. Enough of that.

Unfortunately it will be anticipating and predownloading of your next purchase... people with limited bandwidth will love this feature... especially in the cases when the algorithm completely misses your gaming tastes...

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

Even if you don't play consoles, the graphics on its games are also going to be a new standard for PCs as well

HAHAHAHAHAHAOh, you. *fey handswipe*

Sorry but the truth is PC graphics are indeed being held back by current gen consoles. It is why Crysis 3 looks no better than Crysis 1 (which is a 6 year old game now) because they wanted to make sure they can port it to 360 and PS3 easily. When devs forget about PS3 and 360 and start focusing on PS4 and 720, the standard goes up for PC as well, and we will leave this 7 year limbo that saw no substantial visual improvements in games since 2006

Have you ever played any PC games with a decent gaming rig after PS3 and 360 came out? Apparently the answer is "no." There are unmoddable console to PC ports that have dramatic visual improvements over console versions (Sleeping Dogs being one of the most lauded examples.) Even a standard console to PC port still allows for high level anisotropic filtering and anti-aliasing, with much higher framerates. And that's not even counting moddable games like Skyrim, which can be drastically improved with better shaders, .ini tweaks, higher resolution textures, etc. You don't appear to have a clue what you're talking about. PC hardware has left consoles in the dust during this generation. The next gen of consoles will use current (or slightly older,) PC hardware (after all, these consoles were designed in the past couple of years.) And PC hardware will continue to improve as this new gen of consoles stays static.

The only time a PC port of a console game (which is unfortunately the standard in this age, not that you seem to be lamenting that, as a console zealot,) is graphically equal or inferior is when the people doing the porting are too lazy to make the game utilize the strengths of PC hardware or push its limits.

Edited by AGX-17

HOLY. ****ING. SHIIIIIIIIIIT. UNIFIED MEMORY. UNIFIED MEMORY. *ticker tape parades spontaneously start across the world*

Why is Josh happy about this? It means more work for engine programmers.

Have you ever played any PC games with a decent gaming rig after PS3 and 360 came out?

He asked... Bokishi?

Edited by Maria Caliban

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

There are definite advantages to unified memory.  There's actually situations in DA2 where we leverage the graphics memory for non-graphics purposes because we knew we'd have the spare graphics memory but the system memory was all used up, and it's significantly more complicated to do things that way as you had to be very creative with your solutions.

You know guys, after watching these...err "gameplay" demos again, all I can see is further Hollywood-ification of games. I felt nothing.

Then I rewatch that Aliens RPG pre-Alpha demo from Obsidian, and all of a sudden I feel excitement, sorrow, nostalgia etc. Not even David "Emotion-Man" Cage could invoke that feeling inside me with his old dude demo.

• Like 1

HOLY. ****ING. SHIIIIIIIIIIT. UNIFIED MEMORY. UNIFIED MEMORY. *ticker tape parades spontaneously start across the world*

>Have you ever played any PC games with a decent gaming rig after PS3 and 360 came out?

He asked... Bokishi?

Actually it means LESS! work for engine programmers, and more flexibility in approach... So Josh is happy because development on Sony consoles actually just got a lot easier.

I came up with Crate 3.0 technology. 

Crate 4.0 - we shall just have to wait and see.

Down and out on the Solomani Rim
Now the Spinward Marches don't look so GRIM!

"Yes. That's the general expectation by consumers. They purchase physical form, they want to use it everywhere, right? So that's my expectation."

That was Yoshida, looks like I'm getting a PS4

He didn't answer the question with a clear yes or no though. I suspect you can buy used retail copies, but have to re-activate them for a fee that goes directly to Sony.

People complain about copy right infringement on PC, but used games are the same when it comes to why developers and publishers complain about it. He's right that it does come down to what people expect, I wonder how many people buy used games but would criticize others for modifying their console to play burnt discs or torrenting a PC game.

Console manufacturers are going to kill used games, there might be pressure on them not to kill retail game stores and from consumers, but eventually they will get around to it, they might be waiting for a purely download console. They couldn't care less if someone who only buys used games doesn't buy their console, they lose money on their console.

If they implement features like allowing time limited trials, reactivation for a discounted price for used games, ability to go to your friends house and use a game, and cut prices, also adding benefits and services for free, I don't see how this would hurt them. Publishers do terrible things, people say they'll boycott, no one ever seems to.

so the PS4 won't be blocking used games? damn, maybe I should go straight for a PS4!  :dancing:

http://www.vg247.com/2013/02/21/ps4-will-not-blocked-used-games-yoshida-confirms/

All that was really said that some used games will work on PS4.

I doubt anybody at this time will make a definitive statement when it comes to reselling or DRM.

MS/Sony must be eying each other hoping to see how much they can get away with without ending-up as the bad guy.

Besides I'm sure nobody will announce their console having restrictions as such.

Everything will simply be an 'option' available for use by publishers/developers.

This will allow manufacturers to shift the blame onto someone else and hopefully dodge the backlash.

And if such 'options' become commonplace MS/Sony will simply feign innocence pretending they cannot set requirements for games running on their own platforms.

• Like 1

Given that there is evidence that suggests the used games market actually supports the new games market, I doubt MS/Sony will come out against it in this generation.

Not initially at least, I think. But maybe 2-3 years down the road, both Sony/MS could decide to ship a new hardware SKU that comes without optical drive (price cut!), and also announcing btw that retail games won't be produced anymore due to the majority of demographics having fast enough internet. All games will then be bought exclusively in their respective online stores.

Doing this at launch would be suicide, but as people get used to the idea they will eventually succumb to the corporate will. They always do.

Once it all goes download only, that'll be me out of gaming.  Unless I move to a new house, at least.

Thankfully it seems that's not the model the PS4s going with (for now).

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man