Mass Effect Trilogy

Rosbjerg

Not quite. The program granted temporary control of the Citadel's security system; it allowed Shepard to open the Citadel arms and allow the fleet to attack Sovereign. The Relay could be activated again, but there wasn't a reason to.

The Citadel had two purposes: Concentrating the government and military bodies into one location, and allowing the Reapers immediate access to said location without warning. The failure of that meant the entire Reaper armada flew in under standard FTL; there was nobody to come through the Citadel Relay.

As for the government, the Reapers likely took the long view after Sovereign's destruction. The Citadel will have a strong fleet guarding it, the population present is relatively small, and the government has had time to decentralize itself with news of the invasion. Instead of risking ships immediately for little gain, they focus on hitting the major population centers first. This disrupts commerce and food production. As noted in-game, the economy is less than a year from complete collapse if things didn't get any worse, which they did. In a few months, anyone on the Citadel would be forced to flee or starve to death.

Edited by TSBasilisk

And the maintenance 'insects' whose name escapes me were involved as they were effectively the reapers back door, the end of ME1 took them out of the equation. I kind of presumed that they Citadel could still potentially be used to turn off the relays if they got a hold of it as they could (presumably, being technologically advanced) reverse any changes made given time.

Not quite. The program granted temporary control of the Citadel's security system; it allowed Shepard to open the Citadel arms and allow the fleet to attack Sovereign. The Relay could be activated again, but there wasn't a reason to.

The Citadel had two purposes: Concentrating the government and military bodies into one location, and allowing the Reapers immediate access to said location without warning. The failure of that meant the entire Reaper armada flew in under standard FTL; there was nobody to come through the Citadel Relay.

The only problem with that is the stupid retcons made the Citadel the AI core of "the Catalyst" which controls the Reapers and which could have controlled the Citadel without Sovereign's involvement to begin with. But didn't. Because Mass Effect has poor story writers. As if that's news.

And the maintenance 'insects' whose name escapes me were involved as they were effectively the reapers back door, the end of ME1 took them out of the equation. I kind of presumed that they Citadel could still potentially be used to turn off the relays if they got a hold of it as they could (presumably, being technologically advanced) reverse any changes made given time.

Keepers, but there's never any instance of them aiding the Reapers beyond maintaining the Citadel. The biggest plot hole/bad writing choice there is the way they made the Asari declare that nobody is allowed to explore the entire citadel or investigate the origin of the Keepers (or even monitor their behavior,) where they come from or how they keep the Citadel operating.

The only problem with that is the stupid retcons made the Citadel the AI core of "the Catalyst" which controls the Reapers and which could have controlled the Citadel without Sovereign's involvement to begin with. But didn't. Because Mass Effect has poor story writers. As if that's news.

Zoraptor, on 04 Feb 2013 - 19:44, said:

Correction, Mass Effect has good writers (Weekes), it's just that one specific writer hijacked it completely in order express his "artistic vision" 

Ka-ka-ka-ka-Cocaine!

Z9SVsCY.gif

Keepers, but there's never any instance of them aiding the Reapers beyond maintaining the Citadel.

I'm not going to replay it to check myself, but the wiki seems to support my memory, to whit:

However, once an organic species has settled on the Citadel and reached the required level of technological advancement, the Reapers' current vanguard, a single Reaper left behind to monitor the situation, sends a signal to the Citadel, which in turn signals the keepers, compelling them to activate the Citadel relay to dark space, and begin the process of genocide.

Keepers, but there's never any instance of them aiding the Reapers beyond maintaining the Citadel.

I'm not going to replay it to check myself, but the wiki seems to support my memory, to whit:

>However, once an organic species has settled on the Citadel and reached the required level of technological advancement, the Reapers' current vanguard, a single Reaper left behind to monitor the situation, sends a signal to the Citadel, which in turn signals the keepers, compelling them to activate the Citadel relay to dark space, and begin the process of genocide.

I think the idea was that hte Keepers were the left overs of a previous race that'd made it to the Citadel, but they'd been morphed to be Citadels caretakers. They'd ensure that they, and the Reapers equipment, weren't found. Once the signal was transmitted they'd open the way for the rest of the reapers, and kill the Relay network.

But the Protheans managed to spike the Keepers programming so that they wouldn't be able to hear the Reapers anymore. Which is why ME1 occured. Soverign tried to trigger, it failed, so he launched his attacks on the Citadel to do it himself.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Citadel was moved to London to merge with the crucible (as it was part of the firing mechanism.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Do any of the 5,000 ME3 DLCs explain how the Citadel suddenly was emptied of all life and ended up above London?

Artistic integrity.

Space Magic.

Casey Hudson.

Alanschu.

Volourn R00fles.

Take your pick.  Any of the above are just as likely the reason.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

Did you know that Anderson was born in London?

Well that explains his lack of a British accent.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

To be fair, being born somewhere doesn't always equate to growing up there...  That and if you spend x many years/decades living around folk who have a different accent you'll most likely adapt to it.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

I think he meant London, Ontario. 

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I think he meant London, Ontario. 

Well how aboot that?

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Hm, and Robin Sachs passed on..

http://blog.bioware.com/2013/02/06/remembering-robin-sachs/

The voice of Zaeed Massani, Admiral Saul Karath, and always remember for his role in BtVS as the man who got to call Giles "Ripper"...

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

• 3 weeks later...

Alan, I'm confused about this upcoming DLC.  The write-up also makes it unclear when it's set in terms of the story.  Please clarify for those of us who don't speak Priestley.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

I don't know much about it to be honest.  My guess is it'd expand the content on the Citadel.  I'll send some messages out to friends if they would have any perspective.

As an aside, I did like that they are paying tribute to Robin Sachs with Operation: Tribute this weekend.

Everytime I see single player ME3 DLC announced I get excited. Then I think about the red, green and blue endings and I just lose all interest. 

Why does Shep need to decorate his apt anyway? 

Will probably watch a Let's Play to see if the story goes anywhere. 

• Like 1

Well, it'll help fuel Shepard's desire for vengeance when the Reapers trash his designer furniture and fishes :p

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Alan, I'm confused about this upcoming DLC.  The write-up also makes it unclear when it's set in terms of the story.  Please clarify for those of us who don't speak Priestley.

Sounds like it's content that expands the citadel that can be played anytime after the Citadel coup attempt and before the run-up to end game.