Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Update #33: PayPal Ends Soon! Current Developments

Project Eternity Gods PayPal

• Please log in to reply
297 replies to this topic

Gorth

Gorth

Global Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 10450 posts

The narrative team is creating the world almanac which contains all the information about the people and history of Project Eternity. Right now they are fleshing out the pantheon of gods. Do you have any crazy or wacky ideas for gods? Share your ideas in this forum thread!

Down on your knees you worthless worms and offer obeisance to the infinite majesty of the one and true god Socc, the deity of lost socks, who derives his power from the constant prayers by people desperately looking for matching pairs in their drawers in the morning.

On a more serious note, I like the concept of Elder Gods and Younger Gods. A small group of all powerful, cantankerous old bastards that don't give a damn about anything and a more numerous bunch of less powerful, but way more active (and meddling) bunch of deities.

Are "gods" going to represent concepts (war, trade, community etc.)? Are they going to represent objects (earth, water, beasts, forests etc.)? Are they representing personalities (like the norse gods, who had a goddess of wisdom, a god of mischief, a god of justice etc.)
  • drake heath, SqueakyCat, mibbles and 2 others like this

1RadScorpion

1RadScorpion

(0) Nub

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

I think a god that provides for people with the born affliction of psychopathy would be interesting (as opposed to psychopathy developed by environment/nurture). These are people without analogue, unable to relate to those around them. I'm not sure if the Greek or Roman pantheons contain a god like this - one who fights for no one other than themselves. This is no virtuous or brave god, but one "soulless"! And this would be a got not necessarily worshipped, but regardless, one that provides for those who do nothing but take from others.

The Greek god Ares is essentially what you're describing. Ares embodied to some degree the courage needed to fight a war, but to the Greeks he embodied all the worst aspects of war, dishonorable acts, chaos (which is the worst thing anyone can embody in the Hellenic worldview,) destruction, cruelty, etc. and thus they were ambivalent about him at best, at least in the intellectual class, whereas Athena is the Goddess of War and Wisdom and embodies all the noble and intellectual aspects of war.

It should come as no surprise that the people of Athens chose Athena as their patron deity over a god like Ares.

That's not even touching on the nature/nurture debate (last I checked the majority of people diagnosed as psychopaths suffered some form of childhood abuse or neglect.) Obviously there's no DSM in the world of PE, so psychopathy might not even be a thing in this world.

Fair enough about Ares, but from the (admittedly little) I know of the Greek pantheon, is that there were plenty of very specific gods. And the one I have in mind is less about embodying chaos and war, and more about embodying ... a fundamental lacking. His role is a smaller one (especially considering the power=followers idea). And while I don't really want to get into a discussion about contemporary psychoanalysis and theory, I think it's a safe bet to say that psychopathy is a simple enough affliction that it could safely exist in PE's fantasy setting.

Thanks for the reply though. Super interesting.

Cantousent

Cantousent

Forum Moderator

• Validating
  • 5895 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Gold Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
I think that could be cool basis for some intrigue, fortun. Maybe the Exiled god isn't completely defeated. Maybe he's just biding his time, trying to scheme. ...Or maybe he was never the bad guy the other gods accused him of being. Maybe he was trying something so radical the other gods felt threatened and sent him packing.

EDIT: Regarding Greek gods, it strikes me that we assume that the people of this world worship a god, maybe of their choosing or, more likely, one decided by them based on location. Greeks didn't worship a single god. They worshipped a variety of gods for a variety of reasons, including the consumption of meat, general revelry, agricultural and seasonal reasons, etc. Athenians had Athena as a patron deity, but they had festivals for other gods. The Romans actually had a pantheon of gods, but the primary object of worship for a Roman household were (surprise) the household deities. ...And, to varying degrees, other cultures, such as the Greeks, worshipped household deities as well. You might have a festival for one deity or another, but you prayed to the household god/goddesses to protect your home and hearth. My take is that the world is much more of a cut-throat god eat god proposition in Project Eternity.

Edited by Cantousent, 27 November 2012 - 08:23 PM.

• fortuntek likes this

Laos

Laos

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 5 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
I'd love to see if the entire "family" or "consortium" of gods and goddesses were linked in some manner that's more unique than past storytelling has had it. Typically mythology links them in a very "nuclear family" manner - that is it's a father of all father's god, followed by the sons, daughters, brothers, etc. and I feel there should be something with more flair.

Some suggestions for this "family" of gods are as followed:

1. A "Web" of gods and goddesses, instead of a family. There is no true "head" or "father" god that holds identity over the others, instead there is this mysteriously, relatively unknown "weaver" of the gods that links the gods in some manner with one another. It's a fractal pattern of gods that have connections with each other in a unique way. Perhaps the god of the harvest cannot exist without the god of masonry; perhaps the god of war cannot influence leaders to start conflict without the god of fertility, and so on. I'd also love if the gods were in unique relationships. Rather than you typical "God of war married to Goddess of Peace" the God of War is married to the Goddess of the sea- What's essential about this storyline or concept is that there's no true center, and instead these linked pieces of a chain of gods and goddesses that rely upon one another to survive. The conflict can arise over gods trying to break the web (or repair it) or perhaps that the "weaver" is dying or missing.

2. A "cyclical" process of gods and their reign. Every few milennia there is a "curse of the dark time" in which the throne of the gods is vacant, but nobody knows how it happens, just that it always happens, and is in the hands of the mortal, therefore the hero must help the gods - perhaps the current god doesn't want to absolve his throne, and break the curse. Other gods vying for the throne want the hero to help them take it out - the twist is that the hero is the actual source of this change and he has in his hands the duty of deciding the throne of the gods (be it himself, the current god, or another god)

There should certainly be some sort of innate value about the mortal - that the mass majority of them rely and pray to the gods, but there is some evolutionary factor, and that either the gods are at the whim of some cycle of mortality or that they depend on the mortal in some factor.

There could also be some sort of classification process for gods. There could be gods you align to based on your birth, your profession, or just circumstantial gods. There couid be "Higher" gods and "Lower" gods that each have their respective realms much like Oblivion and the planes of "power" they have within. An interesting element here is that gods of Lesser status have limited powers or depend on their followers to be elevated to Higher God status, depending on their temples etc. Whereupon Higher Gods can cast a greater will on the plane of Mortality (or whatever the hero resides in)
  • aluminiumtrioxid, XenoReaper, Sugarjaye and 3 others like this

AGX-17

AGX-17

(11) Wizard

• Members
  • 1732 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

I'd like a god who thinks he's all powerful but is really a bumbling idiot whom the other gods laugh at behind his back.

Or something like Q from Star Trek, a deity that just wants to show up mess with mortals for fun, and is quite random and foolish.

Q is just another example of the "trickster" character archetype, one that goes back to ancient times.

Besides, plenty of real world mythologies are full of gods who liked to mess with mortals for fun, like Zeus. Whose idea of messing with mortals for fun was turning into an animal and raping women. As an animal.

Edited by AGX-17, 27 November 2012 - 08:19 PM.

OhNoTooManyBees

OhNoTooManyBees

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 5 posts
A god whose voice creates or changes reality. It could be the creator god, or a god who represents chaos, magic, or possibility. It would need to communicate to lesser beings, beings that can't hold reality in place by their presence, using some sort of intermediary, a la Metatron.

septembervirgin

septembervirgin

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 326 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
"String: A line that grows in unhallowed graveyards, slowly etching through wooden coffins, marble mauseleum, ceramic jars. This string binds cadavers together and dissolves their remains, leaving only dolls of string connected by its binding length. Should any cut the string, it reforms, stretching hundreds of miles aneath the soil to reunite to itself. It cannot be burnt nor destroyed but powerfully enchanted blades can cut it. It seems to seek no vengeance for any harm that comes to it, because it cannot be destroyed and moves as if through dreams, taking as much time as it desires, going deep underground and at times sprouting up like a watchtower for unknown reasons. It answers prayers and respects the dead that have been blessed by any faith. It does not disturb the undead nor the corpses of ghosts."

http://forums.obsidi...40#entry1222857
  • aluminiumtrioxid and betatron like this

OhNoTooManyBees

OhNoTooManyBees

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 5 posts
A god that sees/experiences outside of linear time. This god hates all things and all changes, because it can see how all things inevitably lead to the end of the cosmology. The god is continually engaged in a futile war against all things, thinking that any aspect of change is an agent of the end.
  • mibbles and JFSOCC like this

anubite

anubite

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 488 posts
Duos the God(dess) of Plurality
Duos appears as a pallid man with soft features.
Or as a dark-skinned woman with hard, bony features.
Duos enjoys riddles. All of his riddles are related to the concept of duality and dualness.
Duos claims he does and does not exist.
Duos believes in the concept of balance. But enjoys finding people whom are extreme.
His riddles are usually aimed at the righteous and the wicked. He delights when he can confuse them and is angered when his riddles are ignored or easily solved.
His goal is usually to make the one he is tormenting question his/herself, to the point where he can convince them to do an "about face" - changing the charitable scholar into the murderous book-burner. Or the other way around.

Lune the God of Ignorance
Lune often appears as a blonde human, entirely ignorant of the world.
He is immortal and a god. He is so powerful, he can grant any wish he desires. However, he can be killed. When he does die, due to not eating/drinking or being killed by someone, he is simply reborn after some period of time, as another blonde human.
He is completely unaware of his power.
He does at times, understand speech. And is even capable of it himself. But most of the time, he does not know language.
The only thing he does know, is that he knows nothing. He knows only that, for certain.
At times, his senses suddenly stop working. He may stop seeing, hearing, speaking, feeling, smelling - any or all. They eventually return.
Lune does have long term/short term memory, though at times, it can be fickle. He can forget everything all at once. Usually, he speaks of the present moment or topic at hand, rarely dredging up the past or thinking towards the future.
Ironically, legends say that Lune, when he does speak says profound things that change men. For all his ignorance, he must know more than he seems to?
It is also said, that he has been abused by the powerful. He can be tricked into granting wishes or empowering or murdering or helping others.

Near the Crow God
He is the god of crows. And usually appears as one, or so they say.
He can only speak in one-word sentences, though he seems to completely understand any language spoken to him.
He blesses the dead (then eats them) and defends murders of crows, when threatened. Some territories are "protected" by him and are sacred to crows. Massive numbers of crows will nest here, making huge, tranquil societies of this odd bird, or so they say.
Near loves silver and will do favors for offerings of silver at sacred places for crows. His powers are enigmatic.
Those who have ravens or crows as familiars would do well to earn his favor.

Edited by anubite, 27 November 2012 - 08:29 PM.

• aluminiumtrioxid and betatron like this

Vurtax

Vurtax

(0) Nub

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:Vurtax
  • Kickstarter Backer
Okay, I saw the chance to have an input on Divine creation from my email related to the Kickstarter so I jumpedt at the chance to sign up on here and place my input. I've been designing my own world with all of its rules, divines (all angelic-tier for more interesting conflicts) and what not so I'll try to work in something unique.

So what have I got to present?

Name: Durendia, Mallenion, Jothr, Light, Kalihast, whatever. For the sake of the description, I will call it by Mallenion.

Purpose: A great Divine Entity Meant for whatever it is willed

Description: Mallenion is faceless, rather a collection of great power so concentrated that it has a sort of collective conscience, it can be very much responsible for the management of leystreams to the mortal plane so that the world may have magic (optional detail of course) but that is far from its only task. For as long as it has existed, Mallenion has been heralded forth by Gods and great Mortals alike to tap into its power. For Gods, it allows them control over dominions that aren't theirs, for man, it can summon great armies from the earth, sky, and water, in other cases, it can be used to bring life to a land that is dead or save others from dying. But just because you are a god or great mortal does not mean Mallenion must bend to your will. In fact, Mallenion has at many times ignored the pleas of summons of others. It's hypothesized that Mallenion may have self-interests in mind in what it does.

Mallenion may also be an alternative in the afterlife. Some may believe that becoming apart of the power brings you to a sense of paradise and bliss as you watch over the world or wander the divine plane/mortal plane until time itself ends.

That's the best I could think of, it's loosely based off Brahman from Hinduism. If you like it, feel free to alter in any way till it fits.

Edited by Vurtax, 27 November 2012 - 08:37 PM.

OhNoTooManyBees

OhNoTooManyBees

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 5 posts
Gods of primitized scientific ideas - for instance, you could have a pair of gods. One of them represents gravity, magnetic attraction, and the strong nuclear force, "The desire of all things to attract to one another." Another could be magnetic repulsion and entropy - "The desire of all things to remain separate." These then boil down into sociopolitical mores - the god who controls attraction could control love and fertility, or business, or government. The god that governs repulsion might also govern something like existential isolation, or they might destroy relationships.

Hormalakh

Hormalakh

Lone Locust of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 1981 posts

Current Developments

The Project Eternity team is tackling a number of different things in pre-production including story and world building, creating the look of the Aumaua and Orlans, character customization, combat, and fancy rendering R&D.

Next week we will have an art focused update by Rob Nelser, the lead artist on Project Eternity.

Time to get back to work on character customization! Adam out.

OH ****--!!! ARE WE GONNA SEE ORLANS AND AUMAUA NEXT UPDATE?! Here's hoping!

Since we're not sure if gods really exist or not, in this world:

I'd like a fake god in there. One that a group of people came up with and that have some sort of conspiracy towards getting him to "kill" the other gods. They're really in it for the political power/money. They don't believe that the gods are actually immortal beings with divine power. Something like that.

One of my favorite monotheistic arguments for why there is only one God is that if there were multiple gods in existance, then there would need to be some supreme power that would keep these two gods separate (gods being omnipresent, omnipotent beings). Then the argument becomes a reductio ad absurdum beause each god would need another god to separate them, thus making an infinite number of gods exist, each only existing to act as "in-between powers" to separate the other gods. How about a god that has this power? The ability to keep gods separate in multitudes and controls their omnipotence and omnipresence by being "in-between" all gods, creating a space between them.

Obvious is obvious: god of souls.

gods of:

courage
patriotism - i.e. thomas jefferson, george washington, mao zedong, kim jong il, imam khomeini, - all have become some sort of divine representative
mechantry, wealth - merchant class god
ideas - allows people to have ideas
dreams - controls the dreams that people have.
lies - god that is deceitful and trickster.
nature/animal god - druids worship.
magic - mystra-like.

Edit: Cow god brahmin. Two headed cow god.

Edited by Gorth, 27 November 2012 - 08:32 PM.
Language

Eunu

Eunu

Seer of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 3 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
A god of spaces and places.

A bottle-breaking-on-a-ship kind of ritual is always followed as a perfunctory show respect for this deity, who sanctifies and protects the integrity of sites used by people.

Considered a third-tier deity by most, the space-god's most devout fofllowers are derided as hole-worshippers. Persecution of hole-worshippers occurs every time they are discovered occupying the ruin of another deity's temple, as they are perceived as squatters encroaching on others' worship. They, however, see their behavior as an attempt to prevent the loss of their god's dominion over a sanctified place, a sacred space that would otherwise turn to dust and rubble. Despite these conflicts, hole-worshippers are sought after for their impressive ability to restore what would otherwise be lost to decay, a talent honed in those contested ruins.
  • OhNoTooManyBees likes this

OhNoTooManyBees

OhNoTooManyBees

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 5 posts
The god of regret. Now, he controls morality, sending the guilt that keeps people in line. He governs apologies, and political situations.

At the end of time, when everything has died, it will be his job to sweep up the universe and turn off the lights. See: Harlan Ellison's The Deathbird.

Quadracious

Quadracious

(0) Nub

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
A god of a Squares, Circles and other geometric shapes. 1 god with various aspects that are unknown to each other. For example the Aspect of Squares loathes the Aspect of Circles, and the two are unaware of each other's existence. You could have of small groups of people worshiping various aspects of the Geometric God and very few of thew sects acknowledge the fact that they are all different aspects of one god.
  • aluminiumtrioxid likes this

OhNoTooManyBees

OhNoTooManyBees

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 5 posts

A god of spaces and places.

A bottle-breaking-on-a-ship kind of ritual is always followed as a perfunctory show respect for this deity, who sanctifies and protects the integrity of sites used by people.

Considered a third-tier deity by most, the space-god's most devout fofllowers are derided as hole-worshippers. Persecution of hole-worshippers occurs every time they are discovered occupying the ruin of another deity's temple, as they are perceived as squatters encroaching on others' worship. They, however, see their behavior as an attempt to prevent the loss of their god's dominion over a sanctified place, a sacred space that would otherwise turn to dust and rubble. Despite these conflicts, hole-worshippers are sought after for their impressive ability to restore what would otherwise be lost to decay, a talent honed in those contested ruins.

`

I like this, ties into the cthonic tradition nicely. Obligatory: Also gods of thresholds and crossroads.

Really, cthonic gods are awesome and severely under-utilized.

Edited by OhNoTooManyBees, 27 November 2012 - 08:36 PM.

pendraggon87

pendraggon87

(0) Nub

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • PSN Portable ID:pendraggon87
  • Kickstarter Backer
I've had this fun idea for a god-type character a while ago, and have been playing around with making some sort of story around. Essentially, this character would be the Lord of Twilight - operating as an agent caught between light and dark, balancing on the fine point of things, seeing the world in shades of grey. This guy would be sometimes a villain, sometimes a hero, all working towards his goal of balancing the world order. Able to work through any area in which there is a shadow, a merging of light and dark. He would be both a help and a hindrance to the protagonist at different moments.

God Of Yams

God Of Yams

(0) Nub

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
One thing I've always liked from Exalted was the Ebon Dragon (and his opposite, the Unconquered Sun, to a lesser extent). Obviously Obsidian can't just rip content from another setting but I think the idea of a deity of opposition is an excellent idea. An entity who is so opposed to every quest, war, peace negotiation, expedition, or construction that he/she cannot allow anyone to succeed, to the point of sometimes sabotaging her/his own efforts.
  • aluminiumtrioxid likes this

fortuntek

fortuntek

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 116 posts
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

I think that could be cool basis for some intrigue, fortun. Maybe the Exiled god isn't completely defeated. Maybe he's just biding his time, trying to scheme.

Hmm, not exactly what I had in mind. I see him more as a flawed, bad-turned-good sort of redemptive story. A hated, misunderstood individual.

...Or maybe he was never the bad guy the other gods accused him of being. Maybe he was trying something so radical the other gods felt threatened and sent him packing.

I like this idea! Maybe he had a very good and justifiable reason for wanting to do what he did, but the others couldn't be brought around to see. Good food for thought.

I think of this god as kind of like Exar Kun in the Redemption series of Star Wars comics... having come terribly close to conquering the galaxy as a Sith Lord only to fail and be cut off from the Force, he lives on a remote uninhabited snow world where he is found by the 15-year-old daughter and jedi padawan of the Jedi Master who defeated him and took away his ability to use or sense the Force. She is lost, and he reluctantly allows her to share his shelter from the cold. She convinces him that although he can no longer touch the Force, he could still teach her some things that she'd never be able to learn elsewhere. He teaches her some advanced Jedi knowledge by only describing it and guiding her, and she in turn serves as a moral inspiration and a counterbalance of good naturedness and youthful exuberance to his resigned, bitter and neutral existence.

Edited by fortuntek, 27 November 2012 - 08:45 PM.

• Cantousent likes this

exodiark

exodiark

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 235 posts
You know, I could really do with benevolent, like really benevolent gods. S/he is also a bit vain, but s/he's generally a nice guy/gal.
S/he helps all kinds of people, prey and predator alike, without questions attached. S/he doesn't care about how they will use the help, s/he just likes helping people.

Also, the amount of help is in proportion to the amount of animal sacrifice/worship/etc. So s/he's quite popular among those with wealth. There has been numerous conflicts in his/her name only because his/her worshipers want to hog him/her for themselves, showing that absolute benevolence attracts mortal's greed and ugliness.

Edited by exodiark, 27 November 2012 - 08:41 PM.

• aluminiumtrioxid and JFSOCC like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Project Eternity, Gods, PayPal

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users