Top 7 Favorite TV Series

BruceVC

The Daily Show (hey, it's TV it should count)

Yeah the Daily Show rocks, Jon Stewart is "da man"

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Farscape

Doctor Who

Babylon Five

Deep Space Nine

Firefly

House MD

Some mix of Stargate SG-1/Atlantis

I really liked the first two seasons, but it went down hill after that. The storyline was still good but there were so many filler episodes.

Even the filler was good. It's just the filler is harder to enjoy now that I've watched it all 6 times.

And the non-filler is still my favorite show of all time. From the attack on the shadow depository to sabotaging Scorpius' command carrier (Talyn :'( ). And Scorpius joining the crew.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

I'm currently on season 2 of The Wire, but I can't put it on the list comfortably until I've watched the entire thing.

1. Firefly - Probably helps that it only had one season, as it didn't go long enough to get stale.

2. The IT Crowd - Best comedy ever. I'm still heartbroken that they decided not to do a final season. At least the two main actors are popping up in a lot of new movies.

3. Lost - Watched every episode as it aired, so it must have done something right.

4. Stargate SG-1 - I started this on Netflix, and 10 seasons later I was amazed I missed it backi nt he day.

5. Community - Has some brilliant episodes.

6. Buffy the Vampire Slayer - Surprised this isn't on more lists, it just did so much more than I ever expected.

7. The Office - It has really fallen over the last couple years, but the first few seasons were phenomenal.

1. Firefly - Probably helps that it only had one season, as it didn't go long enough to get stale.

Heh. That's why I can't put it in my Top Ten. I do love Firefly, but I don't like putting series with only one season in the top, because it's just not quite long enough for me to feel like I can do that. Needs at least a couple seasons, preferably 3. For all I know, a 2nd season of Firefly would have been horrible and watered down the impact considerably.

If BBC's Sherlock's 3rd season stays consistent with the previous two, it will probably end up on my Top Ten. Just not quite sure if I want to put it there yet.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

1. Firefly, because goddamn man that show was good!
  2. Sherlock, BBC knows what's up
  3. Star Trek: The Next Generation.
  4. Band of Brothers. War is hell? you have no idea, well, now you do. a little. Episode where they found the concentration camp still haunts me, very powerful.
  5. Scrubs, this series varied quite a bit in quality, but seasons 1-2, parts of season 5 and season 8 make it make the list. Helped me get over depression.
  6. Avatar the last Airbender. Television for kids that wasn't infantile. Also the decsion beforehand to make it 3 seasons no more meant an arc and not back to status quo after every episode, commendable.
  7. MacGyver, maybe not good enough, but nostalgia is a powerful force man. Our hero-spy who used his brain rather than a gun, what's not to love
  8. Yes, Minister. Deadpan British humour, the best. oops that's 8!

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.

1. The Wire - Utterly superior to everything else. Authentic like no other show, with both incredible entertainment value and interesting social commentary going on. Probably the best casting in a tv-show ever - The guys that play Omar, Stringer-Bell, Rawls, Lt. Daniels etc, and of course The Bunk comes to mind.

2. Twin Peaks - This is one of those unique tv-shows you really have to watch to understand what it's about. Charming, mysterious, hilariously scary at random times, while having a sort of soap-opera feel to it.

3. The Sopranos - The second best HBO-show. Fantastic accomplishment in tv.

4. Deadwood - Unfairly overlooked tv-show. Al Swearengen is possibly the best character ever on television.

5. Band of Brothers

6. Oz

7. Breaking Bad

Edited by Thingolfin

Sure there is love for arrested development, but I couldn't put everything on my list!

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.

I like Jason Bateman, so I tried watching the start of AR once. It was kinda cute, but there seems to be a type of media humor/style that I don't "get" anymore, these days. It's not that I think they're bad shows, but they don't make me laugh, either. :/

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

No love for Arrested Development?

I love it, but we could only pick 7 :)

Otherwise stuff like Sopranos, Rome, Monty Python and a lot, lot more would make it to my list.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

• Fringe
  • Walking Dead
  • Dollhouse
  • Heroes (except the final season)
  • Star Trek TNG
  • Firefly
  • Eureka (except the last season)

I like series that speculate about alternate realities, question assumptions, and have good elements of human drama.

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

Battlestar Galactica -- just loved this. the ending might not have been all that, but the journey was amazing.

The Big Bang Theory -- love all the geek culture references and every episode makes me laugh out loud at least a couple of times.

Buffy the Vampire Slayer -- just did so many things right on so many levels.

Firefly -- I agree that having only one season probably helps it but dammit, it was SO good.

Game of Thrones -- love the books and love what they're doing with the show. couldn't have hoped for a better treatment.

How I Met Your Mother -- just a consistently great, seamless combination of comedy and drama.

The Walking Dead -- this just keeps getting better with each season. hooked.

Honorable mention:

Dexter

Big Love

Boardwalk Empire

Chuck

Farscape

Friends

Star Trek: The Next Generation

True Blood

Edited by Lorfean

Shadow Thief of the Obsidian Order

My Backloggery

5) The Borgias. As a student of politics its a nice window into the politics that shaped Europe. It shows just how brutal and corrupting power was and still is.

I like The Borgias, and I've enjoyed all I've seen so far, but I haven't been happy with some of the modernizations to the storyline (awful Noble chick & the stable boy plotline and females wearing armor, at least it wasn't as bad as the Amazon breastplate they gave to Cersei in Game of Thrones, boy did I facepalm).

The European show Borgia is pretty good as well. Acting not quite as consistent and the cast not as "Hollywood pretty" (good thing) but characters that were boring in The Borgias are awesome in Borgia. Lotte Verbeek may have amazing legs but I don't quite think her Giulia Farnese as interesting as Marta Gastini's Giulia Farnese. I liked Borgia's Juan (played by Stanley Weber) better as well.

Edited by Sensuki

Cowboy Bepop

Samurai X : Trust and Betrayal

Azumanga Daioh

Neon Genesis Evangelion(orginal TV series with End of Evangelion movie instead of two last episodes)

IT Crowd

Police Squad

Band of Brothers

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

Star Trek (all trek)

Stargate SG1(Though I did like Universe as well)

Walking Dead (Greatest Zombie show ever)

Game of Thrones(Do not let your kids near this one)

Breaking Bad (Watch it and you'll see)

Firefly(Sigh)

Battlestar Galactic (New)

I'm going to look into the wire. Doesn't sound like my kind of show necessarily, but I keep an open mind about these things. I'm definitely going to look into Brimstone. That actually sounds pretty damned interesting.

I can't remember which one of you mooks brought up Cracker, but it's a great show. It's kind of like the proto-type House. A bit depressing maybe.

Some else mentioned Twin Peaks. The show completely lost me after they caught the 'killer.' I thought it was pretty damned funny before that, though, and it has probably the best dramatic scene of any show I've ever seen on tv. The scene where the Major relates his vision to Bobby caught me so off-guard that I just sat looking at the tv slack-jawed. lol I didn't watch the show when it first came out, so I only caught it on netflix a few months ago. I'm sure the scene had impact because of events in my personal life over that time period, but I think it was awsome.

Finally, as one of the few Republicans in this forum, I think the Daily Show is funny as hell. Jon Stewart might be a liberal, but he shoots straight at both sides, and sometimes has tougher interviews with Democrats than so-called 'legitimate' news outlets.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

Apart from the first, in no particular order

1. Firefly

Farscape

Dexter

South Park

Mythbusters

Addams Family - The 1960s series

Lost Girl

"You know, there's more to being an evil despot than getting cake whenever you want it"

"If that's what you think, you're DOING IT WRONG."

In no particular order:

Stargate SG1

ST: Deep Space Nine

Firefly

Game of Thrones

Black Adder

That old Lucky Luke series with Terrence Hill

Something I will remember 3 days from now and forget before I can write it down

The Wire is like an episode of Law & Order on steroids. Throw in some New Jack City for good measure.

Actually it's nothing like a Law and Order episode. I wouldn't say that's a very good comparison. The only similarity is it has Detectives in it some of the time. If you were going to compare it to an episodical show, Homicide: Life on the Street would be the closest, because there's way more character projection than Law and Order, which is bone dry in comparison.

The character John Munch from Law and Order: SVU is actually originally from Homicide: Life on the Street, same character, same actor. However his Law and Order version is _NOTHING_ like his Homicide: Life on the Street version, he essentially becomes a paper-cut out.

Definitely give it a go Cantousent, give it a few episodes before deciding if you're into it or not (minimum 4 imo), as it's a show that builds over time.

Edited by Sensuki

The Wire is like an episode of Law & Order on steroids. Throw in some New Jack City for good measure.

Definitely give it a go Cantousent, give it a few episodes before deciding if you're into it or not (minimum 4 imo), as it's a show that builds over time.

The Wire is amazing, and Sensuki is right it takes time to build. But you really get to identify with the characters, both good and bad. You also get to see just how hard and challenging life on the street can be.

Someone also mentioned The Sopranos and Oz, both shows I loved. Especially Oz, I use to enjoy seeing the interaction between the various gangs and the reasons people ended up in Oz

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

GIMME SOME T1TS!

The Wire is amazing, and Sensuki is right it takes time to build. But you really get to identify with the characters, both good and bad. You also get to see just how hard and challenging life on the street can be.

The Corner takes that even further and gives it a family perspective, based on a true story, and you meet the real characters (who aren't dead) at the end.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_OtJV7QdW3k

(the real) DeAndre committed suicide in August this year though :(

Edited by Sensuki