Top 7 Favorite TV Series

BruceVC

Hi All

We are truly blessed living in the 21st Century, we are surrounded by so many conveniences and absorbing things that entertain us. Not least are the many TV shows that we can watch. HBO, AMC and Showtime are just some of the companies that produce series that both entertain and excite us. They make movies that become cult classics and are loved and discussed for years, even when they end.

So I am interested in what are your 7 favorite TV series of all time and why? I know there can be many more than 7 but I wanted to find a number that wasn't too long and 7 seemed appropriate, this list starts from your best

• True Blood : I am hooked on the whole Vampire sex and theme of this series. I really enjoy the characters and the fantasy aspect
  • Boadwalk Empire: HBO's interpretation of the USA during prohibition makes this series my number 2
  • Walking Dead: Zombie apocalypse, need I say more?
  • Justified: I find the characters completely real, I also love getting to know the various baddies in each season.
  • Lost: Its not everyones cup of tea but I was addicted for many years to the mysteries of the island
  • Deadwood: A cult Western series and I loved the usage of the old English language
  • Sons of Anarchy: The violence and lifestyle of the various people make this show completely compelling for me

Whats your top 7?

Edited by BruceVC
  • Like 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Heh, tough question. All Best of/Favourite lists are subject to change with 24 hours notice :p

The ones I remember right now:

• Blakes 7
  • Star Trek
  • The Avengers (the old tv series with Ian Hendry/Patrick Macnee/Diana Rigg/Honor Blackman etc.)
  • Lexx
  • M.A.S.H.
  • Space 1999
  • Firefly

Somewhat dominated by old sci-fi :)

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Heh, tough question. All Best of/Favourite lists are subject to change with 24 hours notice :p

The ones I remember right now:

• Blakes 7
  • Star Trek
  • The Avengers (the old tv series with Ian Hendry/Patrick Macnee/Diana Rigg/Honor Blackman etc.)
  • Lexx
  • M.A.S.H.
  • Space 1999
  • Firefly

Somewhat dominated by old sci-fi :)

Interesting list, I haven't even heard of some of these classics. But good to see that you prefer the older series to the newer ones :)

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

MASH

Frasier

LOST

Scrubs

How I met your Mother

Twilight Zone

and for Seventh, I would say Firfly. I still get pissed off that they cancelled it after one ****ing seaxon.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

Hard to list all my favourite shows into just seven but here's some of my favourites.

Alfred Hitch**** Presents: Brilliant episodes usually ends with a twist

Dr Who: Classic TV show that's great to watch again and again with memorable actors that played the Doctor.

Fawlty Towers: Funniest comedy ever

Magnum PI: Would love drive a Ferrari and live in Hawaii.

The Equalizer: Edward Woodward. Another brilliant UK actor.

Babylon 5: Favourite Sci-Fi Story with a beginning, middle and end as it should be.

Game of Thrones: One of my favourite 'new series' with medievel fantasy done right.

Interesting list, I haven't even heard of some of these classics. But good to see that you prefer the older series to the newer ones :)

I probably should have added a bit of elaboration to the list, why I in particular like each series. Didn't think of that until afterwards. The downside to checking in on forums while at work :blush:

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Ah....hm. These are always tough, since while I still love a lot of the shows I grew up with, they may not exactly fall on a "favorites" listing anymore.

Top of my head, no order, maybe...

--Star Trek:OS ... it's Kirk, man. And Spock. That is all.

--Breaking Bad ... Cranston is the awesome

--CSI:Vegas ... the Grissom years, especially seasons 1-5.

--Family Ties ... Alex P. Keaton is legendary. Michael Gross as Mr. Keaton was great too.

--Nip/Tuck (first few seasons) ... it may be soap opera, but it was dark and twisted soap opera.

--Married with Children ... Ed O' Neil is the awesome.

--Twilight Zone ... still the best for this type of series.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I'm likely to miss quite a few. And, it could change on a random day as well. Hell.

1. General Hospital

2. Buffy/Angel

3. Star Trek: The Next Generation

4. Hercules/Xena

5. Big Brother

6. Family Ties

7. Fringe

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

hmm. In the order they occur to me, not in actual preference

1. Cracker

Not a weak episode in the lot and two of the most memorable characters of all time from Robert Carlyse and Lorchan Crannitch, let alone Fitz himself.

2. Blackadder

Still as funny now as they were first time

3. The Muppet Show

Watched them as a kid, also enjoyed them as a somewhat older kid

4. A bunch of documentaries

Ken Burns' documentary on the US Civil War, Line Of Fire, History of Warfare etc. I'm just glad our History Channel still has this stuff as well as Ancient asterisking Aliens. Yeah, not technically a single series but I laugh at list making convention.

5. Red Dwarf (mid run series)

ditto Blackadder. Went on too long and had a rough start, but the middle is uniformly excellent.

6. The Wire/ Breaking Bad

Both beautifully constructed and well written. On an episode by episode basis The Wire would probably win out, but BB's high points are absolutely brilliant so I can't really separate them.

7. Blake's 7

Have to pick it, given my avatar. Avon is the best anti hero ever, and the series was hugely influential. Well, in the small niche of dark space opera, at least.

Honourable mentions to House of Cards (Ian Richardson/ Francis Urqhart ftw), Dangermouse, Top Gear, Time Time, Farscape, Buffy/ Angel, Between the Lines, Homicide: LotS, mid run ST: TNG. More no doubt that I'm missing.

Edited by Zoraptor

Pfft, only two people so far has mentioned The Wire.

1. The Wire

Other shows don't come even close.

2. Farscape

My favourite scifi series. Still bitter that the so called Scifi channel cancelled it

3. Babylon 5

Filler eps were horrible, but the story arch itself was pretty damn good. Too bad the 5th season was more or less full of stand alone episodes

4. Band of Brothers

Probably the best miniseries I've seen

5. Buffy

1st season was mostly bad, but once it got going it was great series. Not the most serious of series, but I loved the writing.

6. Community/Big Bang Theory / Scrubs

One of the few comedy shows that make me laugh out loud

7. Treme

Didn't think I would watch a show about musicians, but it's so much more. Too bad HBO is killing it after next season,

Hate the living, love the dead.

There have been some excellent shows raised ( some I have never heard of like Blakes 7). I must say the The Wire is superlative, and I did forget it. It would be my 8th choice. We truly are spoilt in this modern era when it comes to entertainment :)

John Milton 

2. Blackadder

Still as funny now as they were first time

5. Red Dwarf (mid run series)

ditto Blackadder. Went on too long and had a rough start, but the middle is uniformly excellent.

I had both of those on my list but pruned the list down to 7.

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

Firefly - What needs to be said about this show? Hookers and Cowboys in Space, with dialogue from Whedon...

Babylon 5 - It had it's rough spots, but damn, it was the show that really pushed the idea of series long plots and not just episode of the week or season end/begin 2 parters.. That and the characters were bloody excellent. That, and the music (like Star Wars) just helped create such an evocative ambience for what happened in the show.

Highlander - Again, started rough, but once they found their pacing it just worked (especially with Methos..) :shifty:

Blackadder - Apart from the very first season, which wasn't as smart or polished as the following seasons.

MASH - For just how eminently re-watchable it is.

Parker Lewis Can't Lose - It was pretty much ferris bueller's day off writ as a tv series with a touch more surreal elements...

As for seventh place.. Brimstone. - a dead cop in hell for killing his wife's rapist is sent back to the world to chase down 113 escaped souls. And John Glover does a rather thoroughly brilliant Devil.

hm, honourable mentions would have to be said for both Odyssey 5 and Threshold. Two sci-fi shows that were unfortunately cancelled with the 1st season shown. If they'd had time to grow their story arcs and start to pull in some of those winding plots that they both spent the first season establishing..I'm pretty sure they'd have moved up onto the list properly.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Frasier

Spin City

Boston Legal

The Venture Bros.

Chuck

Family Guy

Stargate Atlantis

If I were to go in to detail I'd be saying mostly the same things about all of these. But they're consistantly well written and executed and all of these show are great at a range of emotional tones even though for the most part they focus on comedy. It's not that I'm only into comedy shows but I think the ones that I can re-watch the most are definately the ones that make me laugh.

Edited by Serrano

As for seventh place.. Brimstone. - a dead cop in hell for killing his wife's rapist is sent back to the world to chase down 113 escaped souls. And John Glover does a rather thoroughly brilliant Devil.

Oh my hat, "Brimstone" :)

I didn't think anyone would mention it. I downloaded the whole series about 1 month ago and started watching it. Its dated but still entertaining, I wish they would remake it. The plot was really interesting. Especially seeing each escaped soul and there reason for ending up in Hell

John Milton 

1) Edge of Darkness. No not your american butchery with Mel Gibson, but the original british one. Its old, but its still very much watchable and Id recommend it to anyone. Miniseries so its easy to take the time to watch.

2) Blackadder. A must. Its ripe with great quotations and jabs at history.

3) Boardwalk Empire. I love the 20ies to 50ies in american culture. Chicago style art deco, furs, decadence, class and style. Always wondered why americans dont try to sell this aspect of american culture to european / far eastern tourists more. We dont give a crap about the grand canyon or the great lakes. We come stateside to see the very best of vulgarity (and I mean vulgarity in the best possible sense) and lavishness in Urban western culture. We want to see NY, Vegas, Miami and experience Sct Paddys day in Chicago.

3) Magic City. Same reasons as above.

4) Dexter. I loved the first 4 seasons but then ran cold in it. Didnt really expand on Dexter as a character enough.

5) The Borgias. As a student of politics its a nice window into the politics that shaped Europe. It shows just how brutal and corrupting power was and still is.

6) Band of Brothers. Also a great miniseries.

7) Game of Thrones. At first I really didnt like it, but it does combine fantasy with the unbridled lust for power that is European history. Plus I love the dwarf.

"Politicians. Little tin gods on wheels". -Rudyard Kipling. A European Fallout timeline? Dont mind if I do!

Of shows that are still on the air:

1. Fringe (interesting weird fringe science, and likable characters, as well as an intriguing storyline)

2. Community (Hilarious, underrated show)

3. Nikta (Good action)

4. Futurama (Best animated show ever!)

5. The Walking Dead (Very bleak, and even depressing, but I just can't stop watching it)

6. Breaking Bad (Read description for walking dead)

7. Psych (fun show, can't wait for the new season)

Honorable mentions: Veep, Pawn Stars, Burn Notice, Doctor Who (don't judge me)

Twitter: @Chrono2012

The Wire

297399-omar2.jpg

<miles above>

Oz

tumblr_l19q13YHOJ1qba3poo1_500.jpg

The Corner

arts-graphics-2008_1131694a.jpg

Treme

treme_wendell_pier_2012832b.jpg

Homeland

Breaking Bad

Mad Men

Other really good shows

Game of Thrones Season 1 would probably be in the other good shows list but they butchered Season 2 so bad, that I just cannot bare to include it.

Pfft, only two people so far has mentioned The Wire.

I know, nothing else even comes close :S

2. Farscape

My favourite scifi series. Still bitter that the so called Scifi channel cancelled it

I really liked the first two seasons, but it went down hill after that. The storyline was still good but there were so many filler episodes.

Edited by Sensuki

2. Farscape

I really liked the first two seasons, but it went down hill after that. The storyline was still good but there were so many filler episodes.

True, the show really would have benefitted from a smaller (13 ep or so) seasons.

Hate the living, love the dead.

Doctor Who (don't judge me)

Doctow Who is not a bad show... just varies greatly in writing from episode to episode and season to season. But the first angels episode is one of the best tv episodes in any series I have seen.

Why should we judge you when "Big Brother" has been mentioned in this thread ;)

Don't be affraid of being judged; be affraid of blinking.

Don't blink. Don't even blink. Blink and you're dead.

They are fast. Faster than you can believe.

Don't turn your back, don't look away,

and DON'T blink.

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).