Mega Dungeon Level Size

As long as there's some brutally epic boss at the bottom, I'll be perfectly happy.

I'd hate to grind all the way through all those levels and then have the end boss be little more than a speed bump to the treasure room.

Edited by Eryss

Am I the only one who doesn't want to know the exact number of levels (just that it'll be A WHOLE LOT)? Not knowing when it's going to end seems a lot more fun.

I agree. Good point. I am really excited about the concept of a super dungeon where each level has its own identity, inhabitants and cultures. Thats the one disadvantage about not using the D&D world. We know and are familiar with the likes of the Duegar, Illthid, Drow, Myconids and others so its both exciting and worrying when you meet them as you explore a multi-leveled subterranean maze :)

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I have to say the artwork for the dungeon is intriguing a giant stone head and body. Could be a statue, but with natural caves surrounding it, it could be something more exotic than a statue.

I am eagerly looking forward to the story behind the place and various lore fragments one can discover when venturing through it. I hope we get a couple more levels before the Kickstarter ends.

Am I the only one who doesn't want to know the exact number of levels (just that it'll be A WHOLE LOT)? Not knowing when it's going to end seems a lot more fun.

Yeah I hope they fudge the numbers a bit on purpose so you'll be excited when you find out it goes down another 3 levels.

I enjoy it when dungeons explore the whole three-dimensional space, rather than just being a series of levels to be cleared. Making it a three-dimensional maze-like structure adds to the feel of mystery and uncertainty. Features like ramps, sloped floors, elevators, pit traps, chutes, spiral staircases; they all create the sensation of a vertical dimension. :)

I wonder if they will stream the floors together as per Oblivion, or if they will just use old-style level transitions?

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

95 more likes on Facebook and we get another level to the dungeon. Also, I'd say we're about right on top of 60,000 backers because of PayPal. If the average donation is, say $50, and PayPal has provided (last I saw) nearly $50,000, that's another thousand backers right there. I think we'll make nine levels total for sure.

I'm actually a little worried about it getting too big and winding up feeling monotonous, like I'll be stuck in this dungeon for the rest of my life. Hopefully it'll be possible (and neither hugely affect the difficulty nor leave me feeling guilty about the prisoner trapped at the bottom or whatever) to do a couple levels at a time, going away for some outside sidequests or main story in between.

Either way, I also hope that our companions will have a lot to say about the dungeon, and talk with us about how that mural over there reminds them of Great-Aunt Esmerelda, since regular companion character development is one of my best ways to continue feeling absorbed in a game.

What are we at now... nine? Or ten? Either way, nice. I'm not even a fan of mega dungeons. In BG1/2 I found them to be the most boring part of the game, although the items were nice. Of course, perhaps it had something to do with the fact that there was no real plot-relevant reason to be in the dungeon. From what I understand the one in P:E is supposed to be related to the plot, so that'll make it better. Even so... I like to see it expand just because it's fun.

What are we at now... nine? Or ten? Either way, nice. I'm not even a fan of mega dungeons. In BG1/2 I found them to be the most boring part of the game, although the items were nice. Of course, perhaps it had something to do with the fact that there was no real plot-relevant reason to be in the dungeon. From what I understand the one in P:E is supposed to be related to the plot, so that'll make it better. Even so... I like to see it expand just because it's fun.

9 unofficially, they stated that

Obsidian ‏@Obsidian

@anexanhume Yep - PayPal monies and backers will count! (Disclaimer though: they apply when the Kickstarter ends)

Obsidian ‏@Obsidian Current PayPal status: $140,000. 2,200 backers

"Hmm so last Paypal information was 140,000 putting us at 4,126,929. We did well over and beyond 4 million, and still have an old backer number from Paypal. 76,186 backers. It's very possible that we have over 75,000 backers if I had new Paypal information. Which means we may have 15 Mega dungeon levels, and we already are going to have an amazing game + cats (I swear I will go stir crazy if Adam doesn't own up to the cats thing :p)."

Switching to Paypal means that more of your money will go towards Project Eternity. (The more you know.)

Paypal charges .30 cents per transaction and 2.2% for anything over 100,000 per month for U.S currency. Other currency is different, ranging from anywhere between 2.2-4.9%.

Kick Starter is a fixed 5% charge at the end.

hopefully it will become the most epic dungeon in a CRPG ever.

the earlier levels should be very puzzle and trap oriented, with maybe some other "intruders" (adventurers, treasure seekers, archeologists etc.)

as you go lower there should be more creatures and turn more combat oriented, until you hit the remnants of old civilization and it can revert back to having puzzle and traps, AND monsters.

• Like 1

hopefully it will become the most epic dungeon in a CRPG ever.

the earlier levels should be very puzzle and trap oriented, with maybe some other "intruders" (adventurers, treasure seekers, archeologists etc.)

as you go lower there should be more creatures and turn more combat oriented, until you hit the remnants of old civilization and it can revert back to having puzzle and traps, AND monsters.

Yeah it would be super cool if there was a couple of other adventuring companies exploring there with you. At least on the early levels. Making it a bit of a competition. Only for them to be all butchered by enemies or killed by traps by about the 5th level. At which point you continue to slog your way down, on your own, another x number of awesome levels.

Just here to say that Watcher's Keep was probably my favourite dungeon of all the IE games. Really well done. The levels don't have to be huge, but each had its own little twist or sub story and always leading toward the grand overarching purpose.