Mass effect Trilogy

greylord

As is now usually the case with Bioware games, the characters are the best aspect of the game, and most make it worth playing.

You know what, this is exactly how I feel about the latest BioWare games. I'm finding that the only thing that has kept me playing is the NPCs. Most of the time, the main story ranges from average to weak.

I think that's why I enjoyed ME2 as much as I did. As weak as the main story was, the fact that a good portion of the game dealt with quests associated with your party members was its saving grace for me.

True, true. Maybe Bioware should collaborate with Obsidian on a project, and let Obsidian handle the broader storyline while Bioware focuses on companions and, (I can hear Chris Avellone's blood-curdling screams of fury now,) romances. As if EA would let that slide.

Edited by AGX-17

True, true. Maybe Bioware should collaborate with Obsidian on a project, and let Obsidian handle the broader storyline while Bioware focuses on companions and, (I can hear Chris Avellone's blood-curdling screams of fury now,) romances. As if EA would let that slide.

I bet that would make a nice KOTOR3.

Alas, not going to happen...

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

I bet that would make a nice KOTOR3.

Alas, not going to happen...

Collaborations of said magnitude only work as far as it remains a collective effort in the same directions. If it indeed happened they would be bound to clash and fall apart.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

"True, true. Maybe Bioware should collaborate with Obsidian on a project, and let Obsidian handle the broader storyline"

No thanks. Thyat would mean DS3, AP, and SOZ like main stories. *shudder*

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

I'm not so sure about the belief that Bioware can still do good characters: it feels more to me like a case of some aspects of their writing had fallen off earlier than others, and character writing was just one of the later parts to fall away. It's the difference, to me, between ME2 and ME3 - the stupidity of the overall plotting only increased marginally, but the character writing fell off a cliff: it's not an anomaly, just the natural progression of the decline.

Usual disclaimer that I didn't finish through ME3, opinions etc, but my view remains that ME3's faults are much more pervasive than usually claimed. Poor start, poor middle, poor ending.

Edited by Humanoid

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

I'm not so sure about the belief that Bioware can still do good characters: it feels more to me like a case of some aspects of their writing had fallen off earlier than others, and character writing was just one of the later parts to fall away. It's the difference, to me, between ME2 and ME3 - the stupidity of the overall plotting only increased marginally, but the character writing fell off a cliff: it's not an anomaly, just the natural progression of the decline.

Usual disclaimer that I didn't finish through ME3, opinions etc, but my view remains that ME3's faults are much more pervasive than usually claimed. Poor start, poor middle, poor ending.

From what I've read from BSN, the decline in character writing from ME2 to ME3 might be attributed to the fact that the original writers of certain characters left and were replaced by other writers who were not that knowledgeable with the characters. Bioware should probably stop doing multi-part games with several installments and stick with stand-alone games.

And I agree that the ending was not the only thing that was poor in ME3.

Well, I did enjoy the Mass Effect games. Especially the first one, which I found awesome. The second one was still quite good, but the third one was okay. The writing was pretty crap, but I enjoyed travelling around in the galaxy with my crew and exploring planets. In the end, an enjoyable Gears of War-clone with some light RPG elements.

The ending was a massive failure, though. What were they thinking?

Well, I did enjoy the Mass Effect games. Especially the first one, which I found awesome. The second one was still quite good, but the third one was okay. The writing was pretty crap, but I enjoyed travelling around in the galaxy with my crew and exploring planets. In the end, an enjoyable Gears of War-clone with some light RPG elements.

Artistic vision with the colors of blue, green, and red????

:w00t:

That's the question everyone's still waiting for a legitimate answer to.

I think that's why I make such a big deal about the ME3 ending, whereas I don't really harp on the various issues DA2 had. The DA2 team seemed to either acknowledge their mistakes, or at least explained to the masses why they took directions they took. The ME3 team, specifically Casey Hudson and Mac Walters, seemed to brush away criticism with vague "artistic integrity" and "want to create discussion" statements.

In short, DA2's team seems to understand the complaints and seems to be more willing to admit there were issues, whereas the ME3 team still seems to think ME3's ending was spectacular and that fans just don't get it.

• Like 1

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

ME3's ending was fine. Not perfect. Fine. Certainly not any worse than the majority of RPGs including majority of BIO's own games. Certainly not the end of the world or worthy of such a huge stink. Then again, I always thought people overreacted over NWN2 and KOTOR2 endings as well. *shrug* Internet is going to internet.

I think I might pick up the ME trilogy if it ever gets below $10 for all three games. But I imagine that would take quite a while, though surely ME1 is dirt cheap already?

I'd let Bioware do the technical things - world building, textures, sound design, etc., while Obsidian handles the story and characters with collaboration on gameplay.

I'll pass. BIO makes overall betetr and more interesting characters. And, if AP, SOZ, or DS3 is exmaples of Obsidian's greta writing and stories that be laughable.

I'd let Bioware do the technical things - world building, textures, sound design, etc., while Obsidian handles the story and characters with collaboration on gameplay.

I would let current EAWare to stay away from this project as far as possible, that would bring us the best final outcome :p

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

Are there DLC that adds weapons and stuff to multiplayer only?

I so hate DLC...

Patches, mostly. I believe they're referred to as free 'dlc' but to all practical purposes they're patches since they are free. Pretty good idea overall, don't fragment the playerbase and have more stuff to be bought by them via microtransactions.

I'll pass. BIO makes overall betetr and more interesting characters. And, if AP, SOZ, or DS3 is exmaples of Obsidian's greta writing and stories that be laughable.

Everytime you say "AP" an angel rips off butterfly wings. Whether you like the story or not, the integration of c&c and extreme depth of the dialogue is something Bioware can't do very well. If you were to compare it to screen writing, it'd be like comparing Smallville(Bioware) to Preston Sturdes(Obsidian) or so.

AP has crappy C&C, and the dialogue is one of the shallowest I've ever seen. You want deep dialogue use MOTB not AP. 8puke*

So you finally got around to finishing Alpha Protocol? Or are you still judging the entire game based off of the first mission in Saudi?

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

the dialogue is one of the shallowest I've ever seen

That is an impressive hyperbolic claim with no backing and seemingly no other reason to exist rather than be confrontational.

I'm downright hopelessly trying to figure out what you mean by "shallow", is it your twist on "natural"? Tell us, oh Torturer of Butterflies

Edited by Nordicus
  • Like 1

"Tell us, oh Torturer of Butterflies"

Now you fall so low you accuse me of animal cruelty? That's garbage and only a scumbag would slander someone in such a heinous way over video games. WOW.

"So you finally got around to finishing Alpha Protocol? "

I don't need to finish a game 7 times to know it sucks.

Edited by Volourn

"So you finally got around to finishing Alpha Protocol? "

I don't need to finish a game 7 times to know it sucks.

7 times? Where did you come up with that number? I simply asked if you've finished Alpha Protocol even once.