Mass effect Trilogy

greylord

Guest The Architect

Yeah, I thought he was talking about the whole level, because I found it hard to believe that one opening scene could ruin the series more than what the endings did. I mean, that sounds like something a hipster would say, going out of their way to be different than the majority who say the endings ruined Mass Effect for them.

Guest The Architect

We're talking about a freaking video game here Volo. Fact and fiction doesn't actually matter. I can tell you one thing that is a fact though, and that's that there sure as hell wasn't an avalanche of nerds complaining about the lacklustre opening scene in ME3 on the BioWare forums. Can you guess what the complaining was about? Three different endings that weren't really different at all except for the colour. That's why I said it's hard to believe someone would prefer that over the opening scene of the game but hey, it's obviously not an impossibility.

Haha, well my definition of opening is rather broad, but I'd say up until it's established *why* you have to go to Mars - at which point the game has established these points:

- Earth is the most important place in the galaxy! Go tell the other races their home worlds are expendable and that they should help us - this is by far my biggest beef with the set up of the game.

- A kid died! You're now emotionally traumatised!

- We're totally going to mount a resistance movement against the reapers, using infantry!

- The MacGuffin was something we had access to all along ....on Mars! (But no one's bothered reading it until our blue space-babe buddy decides to go through the volumes of material alone)

- Cerberus is the strongest military force in the Galaxy! (okay, I admit this point doesn't quite get fully established during the Mars mission, but it builds up improbably until they somehow take over the Citadel)

Maybe that's nitpicking, but I don't feel it is. Nitpicking would be complaining about the stuff like the silly "We fight or we die!" speech, the Reaper opting to blow up the oven-mitt cars instead of the Normandy, the cable car rail mine - but that's stuff that the prior instalments did no better at.

EDIT: Expanding a bit on the primary gripe, I'll draw a comparison between the setup of ME3 and that of DA:O. DA:O's opening is something I've criticised repeatedly for undermining player agency. Yes, I object to my character being conscripted into being a Warden, but at the same time I recognise that at least fighting off baby-eating abominations is still a rather sensible course of action, so that I can give it a pass, although just barely. Shepard's initial goal in ME3 is none of those things - it's not sensible, practical or in any way justifiable in the gameworld logic that Earth should be the sole staging point that the whole galaxy should rally around. Indeed the game's depiction of the relative situations in the various homeworlds tend to show that Earth, which is putting up far worse of a fight than the other locations you visit, should be the first domino to be allowed to fall. Even if you were playing Shepard as a super space-racist who believes that goal is the correct one, there's no way you should be able to get the other races to fall in line with that viewpoint.

Edited by Humanoid
  • Like 2

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

"We're talking about a freaking video game here Volo. Fact and fiction doesn't actually matter. I can tell you one thing that is a fact though, and that's that there sure as hell wasn't an avalanche of nerds complaining about the lacklustre opening scene in ME3 on the BioWare forums. Can you guess what the complaining was about? Three different endings that weren't really different at all except for the colour. That's why I said it's hard to believe someone would prefer that over the opening scene of the game but hey, it's obviously not an impossibility."

the majority can go to non existent hell as far as I'm concern. The majority of people often like crappy things and hate awesome things. The majorty is a garbage notion that is totally irrelevant when it comes to actual quality. If you want to base your opinion on what the majority thinks that's a failure on YOUR aprt not mine.

And, that sentence about the the colours is a flat out lie. The differences of the endings were more than just colour based. Don't make stuff up. It's very rude.

ME3's beginning is one of the worst thing BIO's done. The ending is one of BIO's better endings.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Guest The Architect

If ME3's ending was one of Bio's better endings then I'm glad I've only played like three of their games.

I mean five. Forgot about ME1 and 2. See what ME3 does to people? Haha.

Edited by The Architect

A kid died! You're now emotionally traumatised!

This...bothered me to no end. You saw a bunch of nasty **** in the two games prior, and Shepard dealt it with it and shook it off. She had a mission.

I understand they wanted Shepard to finally be worn down, but the execution (kid, dreams, starchild) was horrible.

Should have explored some of Shepard's back stories, Torfan, Akuze etc. That would have been more emotional. But Mac Walters knows what he's doing.

Ka-ka-ka-ka-Cocaine!

Z9SVsCY.gif

- Earth is the most important place in the galaxy! Go tell the other races their home worlds are expendable and that they should help us - this is by far my biggest beef with the set up of the game.
I hate ME3, but I did find this particular complaint nitpicky. It's not wrong as a complaint, it just doesn't seem as serious as people paint it out to be.

Earth isn't even the seat of human governance. So, it being the focus is kind of odd, granted. But the humans are going to focus on human stuff. And nobody drops everything just to help the humans, they decide they need to be helped first. And they are helped. And they reportedly do fantastic after being helped. Or that's how it seemed to me, which lended support to the idea that a traditional victory should have been approachable. Otherwise, yeah, they should have just destroyed the Earth relay and yelled "VICTORY."

However, in further hindsight, Earth is still conspicuous. The mcguffin just happens to be next door to Earth. The Reapers are obsessed with defending Earth. Why wouldn't the Reapers have taken the Citadel to Thessia? Heck, why move it at all? If they're clearly so superior in fleet engagements, why put it somewhere with ground access? Earth is oddly convenient.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Coz they want to juice humans to make a baby reaper and earth has the largest human population. They just want to kill asari, not make jam out of them.

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

Not to just grasp at straws here, but I think the whole Earth taking center stage for the Reapers is due to their whole byzantine plot thing.

Aka, they pick one specific race each cycle that they're going to render down into a couple of new "Proper" Reapers, and the rest of the races get used for the itty bitty Reapers and general odds and ends. For various reasons, notably Humanity (in the form of Shepard) is the race that has posed the most problems for the Reaper Plan they get voted in as that key race. So a concentration of Reaper's is all about the Earth.

With the other Citadel species, none of them are really attempting to organise anything together. Shepard comes across as the only one trying to get EVERYONE working on the same game plan. And because he's human, he's pretty much doing the "look, we need to do this together, I'm helping you here and here, you guys form up and help us defend Earth and we can go on to kick the reaper's arse out of our galaxy together."

Shep has a certain amount of street cred, and once he gets the ball rolling, no-one really wants to jump up and insist that people aim in a different direction. Besides, they've already had him going this way and that to help out their races before they actually agree to do anything.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Coz they want to juice humans to make a baby reaper and earth has the largest human population. They just want to kill asari, not make jam out of them.

It seems that the other races are so much more useful as monstrous infantry for the Reapers.. The humans on the other hand are just turned into mindless husks, the cannonfodder of the Reaper army. Not sure how you'd turn a bunch of braindead humans (corpses) into any sentient Reaper being and even if it was possible there is no way in hell that Reaper would be useful for anything else than bickering with itself all the time.

(Signatures: disabled) 

Most of ME's writing is meant to get an emotional response from the player, just like most romance novels are meant to get an emotional response from lonely housewives.

Coherence and rationality be damned, we need more emotions!

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Well, it is sort of a conceit of the series. ME, like a lot of sci-fi stories, is predicated on the premise of "earth is the most important planet in the galaxy, and humans are the most awesome species ever." That's the way it is in Star Trek, Stargate, DC, Marvel, etc. Heck, in the DC universe, earth is literally the center of all creation, destroying the earth would collapse the entire multi-verse. In the Marvel universe, earth was specifically created to battle an all powerful universe eating entity.

Edited by Giantevilhead

It seems that the other races are so much more useful as monstrous infantry for the Reapers.. The humans on the other hand are just turned into mindless husks, the cannonfodder of the Reaper army. Not sure how you'd turn a bunch of braindead humans (corpses) into any sentient Reaper being and even if it was possible there is no way in hell that Reaper would be useful for anything else than bickering with itself all the time.

Genetic malleability, according to Mordin. Half of those monstrous husk aliens have human components.

Ka-ka-ka-ka-Cocaine!

Z9SVsCY.gif

Worth noting that it was a human who managed to take down Sovereign (which I think was alluded to in the ME2 reaper's reveal)

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

To add to my earlier post, collectors found a lot more uses to human husks than simple zombies.

Human pottery?

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif