Mass effect Trilogy

greylord

I suppose you can only escape the the Grim Reaper for so long :)

There, fixed it for you ;)

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

I suppose you can only escape the the Grim Reaper for so long :)

There, fixed it for you ;)

Thats clever Gorth, I didn't even realize the significance of my words :)

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

That whole dead kid and Shepard dreaming about him was a terrible failure of trying to evoke emotion from the player, IMO. Well, emotions other than annoyance and a feeling of "wtf? another dream sequence?!".

Honestly, I know where BioWare was trying to go with it. But the attempt came off as bad as when my 5 year old nephew tries to tell a joke he heard in school, but forgets the majority of the details and has to pause every two seconds to correct himself and says, "No wait, this is how it goes ...".

• Like 1

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

No idea. I actually didn't work on Mass Effect so I can only make my own assumptions:

They seem to be just a reflection of the continued stresses that Shepard continued to build up. With the references to indoctrination, it's probably also representative of the fact that Shepard has been continually fighting off the effects of indoctrination as well.

What they did for me was foreshadow that Shepard was likely not going to be able to survive the trilogy. Though that was confirmation bias because I had been expecting it from the outset.

Just my impression of it. I agree with Gorth that it likely didn't work out as well as had hoped, but I don't actually know if this is the case or not.

What game did you play, he definitely survived in the end! Of course, a bunch of other people died in a contrived fashion, but... :p

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

Steve's death was the best for me, in terms of contrived. Made even better by the reactions.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Oh they changed that too ? Shame, even if it didn't make sense - doesn't get hit that bad if you help him with his emotional trauma. But hearing Ashley's..er...cry of..um...rage..or something, was worth it. :p

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Ok. I just read through this again:

http://www.gameranx....ies-conclusion/

And I must ask... why does everyone think that Humanity is magically going to be more genetically diverse than any other species in space?

Because they need an excuse for humans to be special. I think there's a bizarre tendency among genre writers to justify the real world when writing their speculative ones. Which is how sci-fi and fantasy get their unintended fascist tendencies.

I used to be a fan of the Drizzt books, for example. And there was this whole running thing in the Drizzt journal entries during the Time of Troubles events, where Drizzt tried painting having "faith" and never meeting your god as inherently superior to how the gods of FR were prancing around at the time, having tea parties with their followers. Made funnier by the fact that Drizzt had met his god, but then started dancing around it by claiming it wasn't his real god, he just imagined it, so his faith could be pure.

Then there's also the standard trope in fantasy, that I think Mass Effect 1 used, where humans have comparatively shorter lifespans than the species surrounding them, so this means that humans are eager to prove themselves and live life to the fullest! Most science-fiction/fantasy seem to either paint humanity as the "eager/innovative" race or as the jack-of-all-trades race. Mass Effect tried doing both. I actually find it kind of disturbing when you think about it, because the bottlenecks that aliens, elves, and dwarves are faced with imply either cataclysm or eugenics.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Every time I saw a dream sequence in ME3 it made me think back to BG/BG2. Sure, those dream sequences weren't that great either... but at least you could interact in the dream on a more concrete level. Things would talk to you - and then you could talk back. In ME3, you're running around in awkward slow mo chasing a kid and it feels flat. Like, I'm not feeling anything but the contrived notion that I should be feeling disoriented. At least in BG/BG2, the dreams seemed to serve a fuller purpose instead of being intentionally vague.

Or at least, I'd probably give anything to tell that kid to take a hike. I don't want to chase his sorry ass and I want nothing to do with the 'conduit' or any of that nonsense.

Edited by anubite

I made a 2 hour rant video about dragon age 2. It's not the greatest... but if you want to watch it, here ya go:

Wait... is it possible for What's-her-name* to die?

*the Kelly Chambers stand-in with the sexy voice

No.

On previous talk, Steve can die. I believe it's based on readiness score.

Wait... is it possible for What's-her-name* to die?

*the Kelly Chambers stand-in with the sexy voice

Nah, the shuttle pilot dies if you don't give him a reason to live or talk to him about his dead husband or something like that. Taylor ends up with the same fate as the Normandy's crew I suppose

Oh they changed that too ? Shame, even if it didn't make sense - doesn't get hit that bad if you help him with his emotional trauma. But hearing Ashley's..er...cry of..um...rage..or something, was worth it. :p

No, they didn't change it, you just wrote it in a way that suggested to me that you thought it was automatic and not a possible outcome based on variables.

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

Mass Effect 4: Gilligan's Planet

I hope!

I've never understood this obvious misinterpretation of the ending.

Probably due to one of the pre-EC ending scenes where the Normandy crashes on a jungle planet, thus suggesting they're stranded there.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

I hope!

In the original ending, the Normandy's engines were destroyed and they crash landed on a mysterious planet between relays, meaning it was uncharted.

I'm not precisely sure they have the means to build entirely new FTL engines. Usually that kind of thing requires factories and a dock.

Extended cut removed the part where the engines get destroyed.

I hope!

In the original ending, the Normandy's engines were destroyed and they crash landed on a mysterious planet between relays, meaning it was uncharted.

I'm not precisely sure they have the means to build entirely new FTL engines. Usually that kind of thing requires factories and a dock.

Extended cut removed the part where the engines get destroyed.

Meaning it's not a "clarification" like they said, it's really more of a change, realizing the ****ty mistakes they made. They might as well made a different ending.

Edited by NKKKK

Ka-ka-ka-ka-Cocaine!

Z9SVsCY.gif

I hope!

It's not a misinterpretation, the original ending had a wrecked Normandy (which was obviously devastated by a shockwave chasing it through space,) crash on what was presented as an uncivilized planet in a Galaxy with no more Mass Relays. In every version. With the only difference being the color code of the Mass Relay lasers that destroyed all the Mass Relays in every ending and with Joker, EDI and the leaves having glowing green circuits in them for the "jump in the hole" ending.

Edited by AGX-17

But you are assuming the mass relays are destroyed. They didn't actually explode into tiny bits, they look like they got overloaded. They might be simply rebooting with new information or whatever. Which the extended ending makes clear because everyone seems to be traveling around the galaxy with no problems.

It was a vague ending, and some folks chose to take the worst possible interpretation of it. Given that it has since been extended to make it more clear, continuing to bring it up only sounds silly.

• Like 1

But you are assuming the mass relays are destroyed. They didn't actually explode into tiny bits, they look like they got overloaded.

The central ring breaks off and flies away. The Catalyst even says they will be destroyed. This does not matter because the Normandy was between relays, not at one.

Which the extended ending makes clear because everyone seems to be traveling around the galaxy with no problems.
The extended cut also cuts off the explosion before the bits start flying and says they were only damaged. But then still manages to show shots where the relays are severed or missing pieces, saying they need to rebuild. Again, irrelevant, since the Normandy does not end up in a system with a relay, it is between relays.

I disliked the original ME3 ending. Apart from the control/destroy/synthesis, I wasn't sure why things were happening and found it strange that the crew members seemed totally fine being stranded on a planet.

I naturally thought the destruction of the mass relays would have caused untold destruction, because that's what the Arrival DLC showed me. There was nothing else to go on. Was it even a victory then, if most of the galaxy was destroyed? According to the EC, the relays weren't destroyed and the Normandy wasn't stranded.

If you have to go back and clear things up about an ending, it probably wasn't good. I can appreciate an ending where people can speculate on what happened, but the original ending just left me confused and a little annoyed. At the very least I expected epilogue slides indicating the fates of your party members and various races depending on your actions throughout the trilogy, but I got Buzz Aldrin talking to a child about the legend of Shepard. I don't care about any of that. The real kicker was the final screen after credits when they advertised DLC.

Really?

Anyways, it's old news at this point and I've gotten over it. The end game deserved better though.