Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

Poll: Character Customization (219 member(s) have cast votes)

How would you like to affect your characters appearance?

1. Sliders [DAO, TES, NwN2] (73 votes [33.33%])

Percentage of vote: 33.33%

2. Portraits with choice of pre-rendered body parts [NwN] (28 votes [12.79%])

Percentage of vote: 12.79%

3. Portrait with choice of prerendered body based on race and sex [BG] (93 votes [42.47%])

Percentage of vote: 42.47%

4. Only Portrait [Arcanum] (11 votes [5.02%])

Percentage of vote: 5.02%

5. None [PsT] (6 votes [2.74%])

Percentage of vote: 2.74%

6. Other [Describe] (8 votes [3.65%])

Percentage of vote: 3.65%

Vote Guests cannot vote

Falkon Swiftblade

Falkon Swiftblade

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 777 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Yeah, long hair would be cool. It's strange how that's somehow the most difficult thing in the world to do.

Cloaks as well.

I'd like both hair and cloaks react with some belieavability to movement, not just point straight down like they were made of steel sheet.
It'd be awesome to see the wind blowing with hair and cloak flapping about.

You know what? I know a technique how to do this using 2d and it would work fine in this type of game. In fact, I don't think it's an unreasonable request. I'd be willing to mod it if possible, depending on the direction they go with things. Worst case scenario dev's could pre-render cloaks and other cloth simulations and import them back in and still most of the time they don't because of clipping issues. Although users of the new Unreal engine will notice fully real time cloth simulation this next generation with UDK4. i'm not sure if Unity 4 supports it or not, but my industry friends using it right now love it to pieces.

Tychoxi

Tychoxi

Sciscitator of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 150 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
I want sliders but not in the TES way of a zillion inconsequential options, just want general face presets, and sliders for skin tone, hair style, beard style, hair color, (and maybe eye color and face tattoos?) I guess that should be enough. And then the game takes a snapshot (maybe we can rotate the face to an angle we want and we take the snapshot) and that'll be your portrait.

rjshae

rjshae

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 5075 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
Will this game even allow rendered character images per NWN2? That seems unlikely given the isometric display scheme. I was just expecting a portrait selection along the lines of the BG series. But rendered portraits would be nice, if it can be done cost-effectively. That way they could apply facial expressions for different states and conditions, if they so choose.

Vargr

Vargr

Cursed and Slightly Mad Berserker of The Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 49 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!
Like others, I hope, for our portrait, we get to pick between rendered and painted portraits. I don't see why not.
  • JediMB likes this

Skie Nightfall

Skie Nightfall

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 325 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
It would be nice to be able to play a rotund character that isn't a dwarf for a change :p
I love custom portraits very much!

Hassat Hunter

Hassat Hunter

Royal Bug Catcher of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 5992 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
Meh, rendered portraits always look fairly horrible. What say I, extremely horrible.

I rather have portraits, and if we really need to express states in expression, make multiple per character. If they can for transitions in KOTOR, they surely can here. Especially with 2.8 million and a bunch of good graphic designers...

rjshae

rjshae

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 5075 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Meh, rendered portraits always look fairly horrible. What say I, extremely horrible.

I rather have portraits, and if we really need to express states in expression, make multiple per character. If they can for transitions in KOTOR, they surely can here. Especially with 2.8 million and a bunch of good graphic designers...

Very true. As in Oblivion where you spend 15 minutes just trying to make your character look half way decent. I'm sure the uncanny valley has something to do with it.

HeedlessHorseman

HeedlessHorseman

Malaprop of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 103 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!
I really like the idea of painted portraits. I tend to get ideas for character builds based on them.

Very true. As in Oblivion where you spend 15 minutes just trying to make your character look half way decent. I'm sure the uncanny valley has something to do with it.

I wanted my character not to look ugly, which was very hard in that game (for me). I think that it ws partly an issue with facial structure. I though many of the characters looked like they had a balloon head.

Slumpy

Slumpy

Vacillator of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 7 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Watcher
Painted portraits for me. I'm fine with the in-game models being generic so long as they have enough detail that they don't look out of place against the painted backdrops, and equipment and clothing is well represented.

Michael_Galt

Michael_Galt

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 307 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
Don't care about the face. Sliders for body type would be great, and hair displaying would be excellent.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: character customization, pc, customization, player, character, personalization, appearance, character creator, character edit, looks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users