President Obama

Humodour

The biggest thing about the gay marriage and legalizing pot in this election is not so much they are actually winning in a few States...it is that it is no big deal they are winning.

Man this country has changed alot in a short time.

I see that Colorado has now also legalized Marijuana for recreational purposes, this election is producing more and more amazing results. This is a good victory for the war on drugs as this will reduce the influence of the Drug Cartels. Nice one Colorado :)

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

The biggest thing about the gay marriage and legalizing pot in this election is not so much they are actually winning in a few States...it is that it is no big deal they are winning.

Man this country has changed alot in a short time.

It's a generational shift. The crew that grew up in with the stuff as a non-issue are now becoming voters and managing to control the vote and discussion.

Also, apparently Michelle Bachman is being ejected from her seat.

Edited by Calax

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Very disappointing. Bitterly so. I just can not get my head around why anyone would vote for this man. I really try to put myself in the perspective of his supporters and I just can't see it. Even some of you who I've been trading posts with for years and have come to respect after a fashion, I just do not understand why he gets the support he does.

For the third time in our history the winner of the popular vote has lost the election. That said I still think the electoral system is essential (rather than a straight popular vote).

The upshot is I won't have to change my investment portfolio. Right now I have everything placed so I protect as much as I can from the damage he has and will do, especially here currency devaluation is concerned.

Tomorrow I'm buying more gold, more silver and most importantly, more ammunition. I suspect the value of all three is going up tomorrow.

Honestly Guard Dog from an outsiders perspective and someone who travels to the USA for work regularly its not that hard to understand the Democrat victory. For me its about

• Republicans don't represent all the demographics of the USA, they are a "white male party" for many
  • I see the extreme views of the Tea Party as anathema to anyone with a progressive view of the future of USA
  • Never underestimate the power of the Middle Class and I question if Romney views ever resonated deeply with them
  • Comments like the "47%" gaff did irreparable damage to the Romney campaign, for many this showed he wasn't a President for all Americans. Even if he tried to clarify these comments

Republican's will need to make some serious systemic changes to there political machinery going forward to address there failures.

Edited by BruceVC

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

For myself, the Republican campaign was the one that annoyed me the most, and as such I wanted them to not win as a result. I'm pretty disenfranchised towards politics because I dislike the mudslinging and in many cases just outright hypocrisy and lies that go around.

Very disappointing. Bitterly so. I just can not get my head around why anyone would vote for this man. I really try to put myself in the perspective of his supporters and I just can't see it. Even some of you who I've been trading posts with for years and have come to respect after a fashion, I just do not understand why he gets the support he does.

For the third time in our history the winner of the popular vote has lost the election. That said I still think the electoral system is essential (rather than a straight popular vote).

The upshot is I won't have to change my investment portfolio. Right now I have everything placed so I protect as much as I can from the damage he has and will do, especially here currency devaluation is concerned.

Tomorrow I'm buying more gold, more silver and most importantly, more ammunition. I suspect the value of all three is going up tomorrow.

This is what can be so fascinating about the human brain. Things that are stunningly clear for some, others can be completely blind towards. It is not logic that dictates this inability.

Big congrats on the election, the rest of the educated world is making a sigh of relief.

Edited by BBMorti
  • Like 1

Now can he finally?

- Repeal the Patriot act

- Close down Guantanamo

- Go out from Iraq and Afghanistan completely

- End the war on drugs

- Close the revolving door between Wall street and government

- Raise taxes on the top %1

If not, then you guys are just stuck with another Bush, that's just happen to be nicer.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Something else I have to add is the absolutely inspiring and powerful victory speech by Obama and the important concession speech by Romney.

In South Africa I have been listening to peoples comments on the way to work, we are really envious and in awe of the level of maturity to the various speeches and how they resonate with people across the political spectrum. Most of our politicians just aren't on that level yet, we have work to do and the USA sets an important precedent for how politicians can conduct themselves in public.

John Milton 

Now can he finally?

- Repeal the Patriot act

- Close down Guantanamo

- Go out from Iraq and Afghanistan completely

- End the war on drugs

- Close the revolving door between Wall street and government

- Raise taxes on the top %1

If not, then you guys are just stuck with another Bush, that's just happen to be nicer.

Depends mostly on what the Republican House of Representatives will do. They obviously adopted the tactic of blocking everything they could during the first term so that they could claim what you're saying (but in different words...), whether there will now be an actual interest in bipartisan cooperation remains interesting. Certainly the fact that some prominent teabaggers were left out, that the Democratic candidates are going to be entirely new next time (as in the VP isn't going to step up) and that it was, in the end, quite close, at least gives me some hope that common ground can be found.

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

That's an interesting insight into your mind.

Congratulations, USA. =)

Oh, and Guard Dog, Obama is winning the popular vote.

A few weeks ago there was a world-wide poll, where people were asked who they would vote for if they were allowed to vote in the US presidential election. Romney got the majority of votes in one or two countries, but everywhere else the majority would have voted for Obama - sometimes with a surprisingly large margin.

In my country, the results were Obama: 98%, Romney: 2%, but the rest of Europe was not quite that extreme.

This did, however, remind many people that on a number of issues the US is completely out of sync with a large part of the world.

Edited by Frisk

I am glad that President Obama has won but he really needs to do a better job of communicating with the American people. He needs to explain some very basic logic to people.

Heck, with the aftermath of Hurricane Sandy, this is a perfect time for President Obama to explain why we need disaster relief at the federal level. Hurricanes and earthquakes are not going to magically avoid police stations, fire stations, relief supplies, rescue personnel, etc. If you have all the infrastructure, resources, and personnel completely invested in the states that will be hit by the disaster then what happens when that infrastructure is damaged or destroyed by a natural disaster?

A thousand years of darkness.

I cringed with embarrassment by Chuck Norris theatrics around this video, you talk about being overly dramatic :grin:

John Milton 

I am glad that President Obama has won but he really needs to do a better job of communicating with the American people. He needs to explain some very basic logic to people.

Heck, with the aftermath of Hurricane Sandy, this is a perfect time for President Obama to explain why we need disaster relief at the federal level. Hurricanes and earthquakes are not going to magically avoid police stations, fire stations, relief supplies, rescue personnel, etc. If you have all the infrastructure, resources, and personnel completely invested in the states that will be hit by the disaster then what happens when that infrastructure is damaged or destroyed by a natural disaster?

That's funny. Democrats turn the Sandy aftermath into more pro Obama rhetoric, yet when Katrina happened blamed Bush for everything that went on. Fact is, disasters are called disasters for a reason. Bad things tend to happen and there's no magical day after solution no matter how much money is pumped into the system.

I live in Sweden and they are/were covering the election in America as if we were a part of it. We are a part of it, of course, but they are covering it as if we were the same country, almost as if we were part of the voting. If it is so important to us in Europe about what happens in America (as it can effect our economy as well, and there's also the War in the Middle-East), so why can't we vote?

Edited by Osvir

We don't get Fox News in South Africa, what are they saying about Romney's loss. I heard some of there commentators are blaming Chris Christie because he said Obama is doing a good job addressing the Hurricane Sandy crisis? I have to be honest I don't like most of Fox News, so I wish I could see there justifications for the Republican loss (I know its petulant to gloat but I just find them far too right wing in many cases)

John Milton 

A few weeks ago there was a world-wide poll, where people were asked who they would vote for if they were allowed to vote in the US presidential election. Romney got the majority of votes in one or two countries, but everywhere else the majority would have voted for Obama - sometimes with a surprisingly large margin.

In my country, the results were Obama: 98%, Romney: 2%, but the rest of Europe was not quite that extreme.

CBC Radio talked about that poll, apparently 83% of Canadians would vote Obama. Honestly, after Obama's first term of seemingly not doing much (though to be fair, it wasn't all his fault), and seeing how much of a joke Romney was, I'm surprised more people don't consider voting for a 3rd party. Its like the South Park episode, the choice was between a Giant Douche, and a Turd Sandwich. At least the lesser of two evils got in.

I don't like that the top two parties in Canada try to make it like its a choice between either of them and anything else doesn't matter, and the Conservatives and NDP have basically started demonizing cooperation. I really don't want our system to end up basically a two-party system, which just seems so entirely broken in the US.

• Like 1
The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

That's funny. Democrats turn the Sandy aftermath into more pro Obama rhetoric, yet when Katrina happened blamed Bush for everything that went on.

That's because Obama responded almost instantly while Bush took about eight months to do so. Only slightly exaggerated.

Judging by the fact that almost half of the American voters voted for Romney and the fact that the American President is essentially still the most powerful political figure on the planet, I'm thinking the presidential election should not be a solely American thing anymore because if half your voters decide to prove in one fell swoop that they are mentally below voting age then your country can't handle that responsibility. I guess that's what you get when historically you owe your existence to the french.

That's funny. Democrats turn the Sandy aftermath into more pro Obama rhetoric, yet when Katrina happened blamed Bush for everything that went on.

That's because Obama responded almost instantly while Bush took about eight months to do so. Only slightly exaggerated.

Judging by the fact that almost half of the American voters voted for Romney and the fact that the American President is essentially still the most powerful political figure on the planet, I'm thinking the presidential election should not be a solely American thing anymore because if half your voters decide to prove in one fell swoop that they are mentally below voting age then your country can't handle that responsibility. I guess that's what you get when historically you owe your existence to the french.

Obama came in for his photo op and then left town. That's pretty much all it takes to impress people these days. For the rest of your comment, we don't need the world's help to financial instability - we've got that covered ourselves.

More important matters than these silly elections.

TWO STATES JUST PASSED MARIJUANA LEGALIZATION LAWS!

Yes this is another progressive move and will weaken the power of Drug Cartels. I'm very supportive of this legislation :)

John Milton 

I've been in favor of legalizing MJ for a long time. I don't use it but I've never seen the harm in it. Heck it would make for a nice revenue stream if it were legalized and taxed. It's not the governments place to be you goddamned mother and keep you from having things that are bad for you. I suspect we are going to get a double helping of that nonsense anyway so it's nice to see individual states asserting their sovereignty.

• Like 2

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Oh, and Guard Dog, Obama is winning the popular vote.

That's how it turned out. He was behind when they called the election last night.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell