What are you playing now?

Tribes Ascend.

Technical issues aside it seems pretty fun but the team-play was poorly designed.

Available unlocks/upgrades heavily encourage specialization and as a result many team-roles go completely unfilled.

Unlock pricing is also questionable - almost 200$ just for all classes/weapons is a bit much.

It's nice fun in deathmatch, all you need is the spinfusor (well, unless you suck). Would have been a lot better as a regularly purchased game.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Finished Dungeon Master I never could finish it back in the day on my Amiga 500. Ugh that last battle was INSANE. D:

Any idea how it compared to Eye of the Beholder? I played Eye of the Beholder (the first one) and Black Crypt. The latter being the spitting image of Legend of Grimrock. I suspect most of my Amiga gaming time was spent on Mechforce. Most awesome shareware game ever. The AI opponent played a mean game without cheating.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Guest Slinky

Finished Dungeon Master I never could finish it back in the day on my Amiga 500. Ugh that last battle was INSANE. D:

Any idea how it compared to Eye of the Beholder? I played Eye of the Beholder (the first one) and Black Crypt. The latter being the spitting image of Legend of Grimrock. I suspect most of my Amiga gaming time was spent on Mechforce. Most awesome shareware game ever. The AI opponent played a mean game without cheating.

Never played either Eye of the Beholder or the Black Crypt, but Legend of Grimrock is practically modernized Dungeon Master. So I guess it is very similar to Black Crypt then.

IMOO Dungeon Master is more a true Dungeon Crawl (food and water need to be regulated and watched, figuring out puzzles, more.... better designed areas) design wise than say EotB (1/2). I still really like EotB 1/2 and enjoyed them. Chaos Strikes Back (the second DM game) is rather brutal. The beginning area is like being punched in the face with a baseball bat. heh I never did play Black Crypt. I think I actually own it, but I still need to go through my HUGE box of Amiga floppies...

Downloading Deus Ex GOTY Ed. as we speak. Any essential mods?

Lol, as soon as was finished with the post, the download was complete and when I start the game it says: Couldn't find Steam.

Edited by Labadal

I'll go with that then. Solved the problem I had, it was steam related and not the game it seems. My problem now is that my character runs fast as hell and dialogue is laso very fast. Another problem is that dialogue sounds ends before they are done speaking. I must look into this matter.

I have a guide I wrote here: http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/deus-ex-mods-a-how-to-guide-by-jaesun.34834/

How to set up Deus-Ex with Windows 7. Read my note about the STEAM version at the top however. I do agree however even vanilla it still hold's up today, and no mods are needed.

Risen 2 - Anyone know the differences between buying it on Steam and buying it on the Deep Silver site? I know the Treasure DLC is free on Steam (preorder) but is that it?

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

All copies of Risen will use Steam codes, because of the Great Bargaining Power of Steamworks. So I recommend green man gaming, where it's 20% off, you get the DLC, and on release they'll just email you a Steam key download.

Green man gaming? New one to me. I'll check it out, thanks.

Also...what does "Steam code" mean...ie, does that mean I still need Steam on/open to run it? All these options for buying now...I is confuseded.

Edit: wait, green man means you have to download/use yet another client (download capsule)...or is that optional? It doesn't sound any different than Steam re: the price/DLC either. *confuddled*

2nd edit: oh, maybe with that voucher code, discount given at checkout. Hm.

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Downloading Deus Ex GOTY Ed. as we speak. Any essential mods?

Lol, as soon as was finished with the post, the download was complete and when I start the game it says: Couldn't find Steam.

There are three (apparently) great mods: The Nameless Mod, Zodia and 2027.

Every time I replay a game, I'm noticing that the older I get, the less patience I have for long games. It's weird because I love it when the game is really long the first time I play through. But when it comes time to replay it a second or third time, I find it tedious going through long games.

In one way, I think this is why I was able to play through Dungeon Siege III four times. It's not a very long game, so I can breeze through the game in no time. In comparison, I have difficulty finishing Dragon Age Origins on subsequent play throughs because of how long it is (in comparison to most RPGs nowadays), even though I actually enjoyed DA:O more than DSIII the first time through for each.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

Green man gaming? New one to me. I'll check it out, thanks.

Also...what does "Steam code" mean...ie, does that mean I still need Steam on/open to run it? All these options for buying now...I is confuseded.

Edit: wait, green man means you have to download/use yet another client (download capsule)...or is that optional? It doesn't sound any different than Steam re: the price/DLC either. *confuddled*

2nd edit: oh, maybe with that voucher code, discount given at checkout. Hm.

(1) No matter where and how you buy Risen 2, you must use Steam, because it has Steamworks DRM. If you bought a box copy, you'd probably get nothing but the Steam exe and a code. Yes, it's that silly.

(2) AFAIK, they just email you a code. You open Steam, input that code, then it's exactly the same as if you bought it on Steam; it downloads and plays there. And you get the DLC. So the only practical difference is, with the voucher code listed on the site, you get -20%.

(3) I can't remember what happened the last time I used them, but I"m using them for Risen 2 now. I don't think you need their Capsule program in this case.

re. GOA - I find if a game is *too* short I can't get attached. E.g. if you know a game is 10 hours long, what's the point in conserving items for a rainy day? Or going out of your way to find a great item? I end up not caring too much about every point allocation, because I know this character will fade into oblivion by the time I go to sleep. A big part of RPGs is growing to feel like the person you're playing has an identity (doesn't need to be emo larping, but even in a powergaming sense) and becoming proficient in using him/her. I think something like DS3 is just long enough, though I wish its loot system was better.

Every time I replay a game, I'm noticing that the older I get, the less patience I have for long games. It's weird because I love it when the game is really long the first time I play through. But when it comes time to replay it a second or third time, I find it tedious going through long games.

In one way, I think this is why I was able to play through Dungeon Siege III four times. It's not a very long game, so I can breeze through the game in no time. In comparison, I have difficulty finishing Dragon Age Origins on subsequent play throughs because of how long it is (in comparison to most RPGs nowadays), even though I actually enjoyed DA:O more than DSIII the first time through for each.

I have a harder time with the more story-based long games nowadays as well. Though I think, for me at least, that it's not so much a problem with a game being long per say, it's just that most long games have a lot of filler in them. Or at least really boring sections. I find I'm getting increasingly non-tolerant towards that.

DS3 was pretty good about that I think, most of the time the areas get switched up before you get really bored of them. I think Glitterdelve is the only location where I feel it goes on for just a bit too long but even then it's not that bad.

Dragon Age was a game I really enjoyed on my first playthrough and I still like it, but yeah... Some parts of it are really hard to replay. Similarily, I'm replaying the Witcher 1 at the moment and some bits are very tedious to go through again. Same with the second game.

A long game like New Vegas though is no problem to replay for me because so much of the playlength is up to the player. If you start to feel like things are starting to drag a bit, you can usually go to the ending bits in a rather quick fashion and finish it up.

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

re. GOA - I find if a game is *too* short I can't get attached. E.g. if you know a game is 10 hours long, what's the point in conserving items for a rainy day? Or going out of your way to find a great item? I end up not caring too much about every point allocation, because I know this character will fade into oblivion by the time I go to sleep. A big part of RPGs is growing to feel like the person you're playing has an identity (doesn't need to be emo larping, but even in a powergaming sense) and becoming proficient in using him/her. I think something like DS3 is just long enough, though I wish its loot system was better.

Oh, I agree. I don't want the game to be too short, either. For the most part, however, I can't think of an RPG or action/RPG that can be accused of being too short.

I'm pushing myself through ME1 again (I've got nothing else to play, and there are some XBox achievements I want to unlock for it), and I'm finding it too long to replay. Granted, that's partially my own fault being a completionist. The main story itself is actually about what I'd want in a game. But doing the various sidequests, I'm finding it's taking FOREVER to get through. Compared to a recent playthrough of DSIII, which didn't seem like it took all that long, ME1 just seems like such a chore on multiple play throughs.

In regards to ME1, a part of me thinks it's also due to the boring combat. I've made my beef known about ME3's ending and how much I hated it, but one thing I could say about ME3 is the combat is much, much more fun than ME1's combat. So crappy combat doesn't exactly help things when I'm already feeling bogged down by a long game.

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

@Tigranes - Thanks for that info. I thought that might be the case re:steamcode but wasn't sure. Ended up just buying it at Steam. Saving $10 would be nice but didn't feel like registering yet another site account at the moment. Green Man has an interesting concept re: "selling back" games tho...I'll look into them more later.

@GoA - yeah, I'm getting like that too as I get older. It highly depends on the game of course. But generally speaking, a game that's too long or worse, has a very steep learning curve (the TLDR of gaming) I can start drifting pretty fast/I won't come close to finishing, even if I like the game ok.

On Steam: I also bought the Serious Sam3 bundle for the cheap. Mostly interested in #3, but they all look some old skool FPS mayhem fun. Could be my thing. Most newer FPS don't feel like FPS to me anymore. *grumpy old fart* ...

I have a harder time with the more story-based long games nowadays as well. Though I think, for me at least, that it's not so much a problem with a game being long per say, it's just that most long games have a lot of filler in them. Or at least really boring sections. I find I'm getting increasingly non-tolerant towards that.

DS3 was pretty good about that I think, most of the time the areas get switched up before you get really bored of them. I think Glitterdelve is the only location where I feel it goes on for just a bit too long but even then it's not that bad.

Dragon Age was a game I really enjoyed on my first playthrough and I still like it, but yeah... Some parts of it are really hard to replay. Similarily, I'm replaying the Witcher 1 at the moment and some bits are very tedious to go through again. Same with the second game.

A long game like New Vegas though is no problem to replay for me because so much of the playlength is up to the player. If you start to feel like things are starting to drag a bit, you can usually go to the ending bits in a rather quick fashion and finish it up.

You used the word tedious to describe certain parts of games. I have to say that's 100% bang on as one of the reasons these long games get to me. They all inevitably have a part (or multiple parts) that are tedious, yet are pretty necessary to do, in order to play through.

Different genre/gametype, but that's one of the things I liked about Resident Evil 5. It let you replay the game by chapters, if you so chose. So you could skip parts of the game you didn't find all that interesting, and go directly to the parts you liked. I'd probably still be playing Dragon Age Origins over and over again if it had something similar as RE5 where you could replay chapters, instead of the entire game.

I don't know if it's because they are "story heavy", or just because they are linear that I have a hard time replaying some games and not others. I'll still happily replay old strategy games that takes forever to finish, I love a current game of PS:T that I'm playing, yet there are recent games which railroads the player and now gathers dust by the wayside. I'm more likely to replay ME2 than ME3 some day, simply because I can decide in which order I want to do most of the things between the start and the ending. I think there is something about the stories and experiences you create yourself are the best ones.

• Like 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

can you go into more detail about guild wars 2?

i loved guild wars 1 and am eager to hear about guild wars 2, both the good and the bad.

how does it compare to the first game? whats less fun about it?

Edited by entrerix

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

Yep. That's why I'm enjoying the hell out of Alpha Protocol. No filler, no running for hours on end chasing pointless little items or quests. It's a breath of fresh air. There's no running around at all. They just place you at the scene and get you to the good stuff. I can already see myself replaying it as long as the technical issues don't hamper it. I loved Chronicles of Riddick for that reason too - extremely well paced, no filler - just a concentrated and well crafted game - same as VTMB. I don't want all games to be designed like this but I wish the stigma of less playing time automatically equalling a bad game didn't exist as too many designers worry about have hours upon hours of gameplay that just boils down to cookie cutter elements aka filler to increase game time.

i started playing kingdoms of amalur this week, its not very good. its not exactly terrible, its just extremely mediocre. there is no sense of heft to anything in the world, it plays a little like a single player guild wars without the skill/deck build stuff or any of the interesting parts, and instead there is some button mashing.

i'd give it a 6.5 so far. the only real redeeming quality is that its easy to play, and just barely fun enough to keep me from uninstalling after playing it for a few days. i definitely feel like i should be spending my time on something more worthwhile though - i just can't figure out what that is right now; im basically just killing time until diablo 3 is released.

this year is a crazy year for grindy/long rpg/action rpg type games: diablo 3, torchlight 2, guild wars 2, borderlands 2...... these games are all going to take up a huge amount of my time

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.