What are you playing now?

No, I mean the scenes/pics I've seen of the chr. "floating" in space while doing stuff. I guess that's just no-gravity sections of a ship/room/area or something? Anyway that aspect looked kinda fun, but I guess it's mostly ground-bound like average.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Alpha Protocol - despite technical issues, it's the most engaging game I've played in a while. If the quality lasts through the whole game it'll end up being my favorite Obsidian title. Great game.

NWN2 - Trying to finish this game so I can play the highly thought of MOTB. The OC is pretty horrid to me though - it's like trying to watch a kid's show, it's kind of embarrassing. I don't know how anyone can really enjoy it but I will eventually finish it to try MOTB.

oh yeah there are a few parts you're in zero G, but it's mostly a very straightforward shooty type game with some better than usual atmosphere and some worse than usual QTE moments

definitely worth the $5, but not exactly game of the year, you should get 2-3 afternoons of fun out of it though (unless you hated resident evil 4, in which case skip this one for sure, because its basically the same game but slightly worse in almost every way)

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

i've tried to finish NWN 2 twice and have been unable to. the combat/encounter design gets too repetitive.

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

i've tried to finish NWN 2 twice and have been unable to. the combat/encounter design gets too repetitive.

Not to mention the camera seems downright broken, the journal is almost nonfunctioning, long loading times, terrible voice acting ontop of the boring design - it's just not fun to play. This is the first time I've touched the game in a year - just want to finish it.

i remember once i patched the game i had the camera under control, and i dont really remember the voice acting at all, but yeah, its missing the "fun" that an rpg should have. it was a rather linear experience, if i remember correctly - more like a kotor than a baldurs gate?

No, I mean the scenes/pics I've seen of the chr. "floating" in space while doing stuff. I guess that's just no-gravity sections of a ship/room/area or something? Anyway that aspect looked kinda fun, but I guess it's mostly ground-bound like average.

There's a small amount of that, and it mostly goes to disorient than anything else.

The only major thing I remember from Dead Space was the fact that you were basically performing surgery to kill a punk rather than actually shooting him (you chopped their arms, and legs off, and then could cut them in half etc... rather than shooting)

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

So, both Dead Spaces are on super sale on Steam. Shooters aren't my main thing, but these look somewhat interesting. Anyone played them? Good as many write about?

DS1 is very good, though rather limited, dependant on your ability to put up with Advanced Monster Closet game design and with some annoyingly overlong boss fights. Some also hate the controls since Isaac is not a typical run and gun super soldier and rather shuffles around most of the time. I actually wouldn't have been disappointed had it actually been called System Shock 3, which is high praise from me.

DS2 is DS1 with much of the interest and personality removed. I can't put an exact finger on why I didn't like it as much, except that it was more of the same but at the same time a whole lot less. Much as with ME3 I turned down the difficulty at the end since I just started finding it annoying. And the dlc handling is laughable since all the items (free on PC) are just dumped into the stores at zero cost so you can get the best stuff for free right at the start.

There's zero G gameplay (around one section per chapter on average) and vacuum gameplay with an air supply timer in both games, though it's not really a big deal. The zero g stuff changes significantly between games, in 1 you have to jump from surface to surface while in 2 it's a more traditional 'jetpack' like system and there's quite a lot less of it too.

If they're cheap both are probably worth it, if it were a choice of one DS1 is considerably better.

Edited by Zoraptor

Heh, looks like I have to stop playing Alpha Protocol for now, as I get a non fixable crash at the end of completing a mission - something similiar happened earlier on but making the exe "xp sp3 compatible" fixed the problem until now. This game is a wreck, lol.

that said, how can you go wrong for only $5?

Because even a child knows that paying $5 for a game you won't play is a better deal than paying full price for one you will. Right?

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

I just noticed that Risen 2 for the PC is set to be released today, but the XBox 360 and PS3 versions are still listed as TBD. So much for me buying it this week, then.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

I just noticed that Risen 2 for the PC is set to be released today, but the XBox 360 and PS3 versions are still listed as TBD. So much for me buying it this week, then.

Steam says:

Available: 27 April 2012

Edited by trulez

Tried to finish off JABIA.. just can't. Clearing buildings is rather tedious, well once the patented "set up killzone at door, make noise" tactic's nabbed all it can :p

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

The beginning was still fun. Wait for Meduna, it is just pain. Skipped most of the later stuff and walked around the enemies, so I can go and kill Deidranna fast. Now with the next patch, they are going to introduce sector inventory and stuff, but I really can't get me to play the game again anytime soon.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Because even a child knows that paying $5 for a game you won't play is a better deal than paying full price for one you will. Right?

or, for $5 even if you only got a few hours of entertainment out of it, you're getting a betted deal than having spent that money on a multitude of other fleeting entertainments?

why would you buy something you have no intention of playing?

Although, the cost racks up over time, no? Since the coming of GOG.com there have been at least $50 worth of games where the price really made me want to get it, but I didn't. After a while, I realise I probably wouldn't have played some of them for more than a couple of hours. I've now over a dozen titles on my GOG account, and a few of them I'm pretty sure I won't go back to after a couple of hours, a few of them have become indispensable.

Cheap games are great, but you don't want to just sit back and think "hey it's great!", it does change how you buy and play games, and of course, your own mental threshold for wanting / buying.

or, for $5 even if you only got a few hours of entertainment out of it, you're getting a betted deal than having spent that money on a multitude of other fleeting entertainments?

why would you buy something you have no intention of playing?

Or, living in one of the most expensive cities in the world, I can just put on a fake smile and keep buying stuff I really want, since my money's going to disappear, anyway. ;P

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

I've been trying to play Ultima 7 recently, after I discovered I had bought it on GoG. But it's nigh on impossible to get into for me.

First of all, the game will not start from the desktop icon. I have to go and search for some settings program and start it from there every time. Annoying.

Second, the game refuses to have any sound. When I installed it, it had sound. Around the third time I started the game, the sound disappeared. It has been gone ever since. This is probably a problem with GoG's Dosbox setup, but I am too lazy to start poking around in it. It should just work. Isn't that why I paid GoG?

Third.. the controls really suck. If I try to walk with the keyboard, the character takes one tiny step for every keypress when I try to move. If I hold the key down, he will take one step, stop for one second and then start running like a madman. If I use the mouse to walk, the madman running isn't as bad (as the game relates the walking speed to how far my mouse cursor is from the character), but I still get stuck behind every open door there is. And trying to walk up stairs? Geez.

Fourth, the food. I have filled my poor character's inventory with food, but it doesn't seem to help. It's bad enough that I have to think of feeding my own character, but when THREE NPC's who are following me all start whining about how hungry they are.. then I give up. It's just not fun. Especially not when it's such a hassle to feed the bastards (GUI problems)!

I would really like to explore the world and find out what's happening in Britannia, but it feels like the game won't let me. I'm too busy trying to find food and messing around in menu's trying to feed everybody that I don't have time to play the game.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Unsure what GOG does, but you should use Exult - it doesn't take long to set up then works very well.

You are actually feeding the dudes, right? And not leaving food in the inventory?

Thought it was a great game to play through at least once, even though the combat is probably among the worst in any well known RPG.

First of all, the game will not start from the desktop icon. I have to go and search for some settings program and start it from there every time. Annoying.

It starts up with the shortcut icon just fine for me. I have the opposite problem - there's no Exit option in the game menu that I've been able to find, so I have to alt-tab out and r-click close the window to get out of the game. :lol: Did you install the game in a different directory than Program Files? I find with Win7 that a lot of older games work better when installed somewhere else, even if it's a GoG version.

As to the rest...can't help much there because I haven't gotten far in it myself. The controls were definitely a bit wonky feeling, which kind of put a damper in my motivation after a while. I'll try it again later but for now...

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Still playing Trine. Getting close to the end I think. Some of the puzzles are getting trickier. Then I found out that I can resurrect dead party members just by going back to the last checkpoint :facepalm:

Most fun I've had since Gratuitous Space Battles. Trine 2 is going to be a must have for me.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein