What you did today

Tale

I smell an app in there somewhere. Something using linear programming. I could certainly use one for meetings.

...By which I mean my social life is simplicity itself. I know where my friends are. They're in the pub. Or at someone's house. Or gone to town. To a pub.

Yeah it's called email :lol: . Except one hasn't shared his, the other never checks his. A friend and her husband do something neat, they use Outlook calendar events to arrange appointments, dinners, what have you.

Another button ceased to function on my phone, so gave in and got a smartphone, well with no data plan.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I smell an app in there somewhere. Something using linear programming. I could certainly use one for meetings.

...By which I mean my social life is simplicity itself. I know where my friends are. They're in the pub. Or at someone's house. Or gone to town. To a pub.

Yeah it's called email :lol: . Except one hasn't shared his, the other never checks his. A friend and her husband do something neat, they use Outlook calendar events to arrange appointments, dinners, what have you.

Another button ceased to function on my phone, so gave in and got a smartphone, well with no data plan.

That's actually pretty common at my new workplace, since we're basically always "working" you have to put most of your personal stuff there (even if it's just a blocked off "personal meeting") so it doesn't conflict with power golf, opera or God knows what else. :p

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

My God, this soup is good! I mean, just staggeringly good.

~

Re social stuff, of course we can plan as much as we like, but the more impromptu a party or gathering is the better it gets. Every time.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Had just settled back into SW:TOR following dinner, getting into the rythym.. and suddenly boom!

Trying to twist around to rescue the puppy from being impaled behind me, the fresh, barely sipped pint mug of tea went flying from my desk.. and covered my keyboard, mouse..chair and floor immediately around me.

... some strange flickers..but I think I've finally got it all cleaned up enough to work properly.

Of course, this means I'll have to break out the steamcleaner again for the carpet tomorrow..:lol:

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

I just got home from a date. Wow, what a babe. She's tall has fire red hair, green eyes, likes beer, baseball & muscle cars. I think I'm in love. She hasn't passed the "dog" test yet maybe soon. She's a college professor. I have not had much luck dating teachers (sorry Hurlie, the women teachers I've met are a pretty disagreeable lot). She's divorced with no kids and thankfully the conversation did not linger on ex's. Pretty good night all the way around.

How'd you do with your girl Nep?

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

How'd you do with your girl Nep?

The old one or the tryout? :lol:

The Prospect is a conundrum, she's ridiculously good-looking and classy (a rarity in Finland, where it's either trashy or latest trends) and seems more shy than introverted, but really hard to tell at this stage. While we work at the same place, it's a completely different department and floor, making it less of an automatically bad idea to at least look into. There's also a lot of young and soon-to-be mothers at our office, which traditionally makes the climate better for nice, reliable lawyers as opposed to minor league hockey players. :) Still, calls for slow movement, definitely no crowding her type.

I should point out that there really isn't a "dating culture" here, so the whole getting to know part is a lot more complicated.

I really should find a new way of meeting people, the bar crowd doesn't interest me (or the other way around, to be fair) and my friends work way too hard (and are breeding way too fast) to organize parties for me to meet their single friends. ;)

Old one is all about diapers now, seemingly happy in her suburban life. Of course, when we knew each other I was a skint grad student and now... well, it's different. Kid was nice, but even if it were an option, I'm not sure I could play daddy to some other guys kid - even if I'm slowly starting to think that fatherhood might not be that bad. :p

Edited by Nepenthe

Good to hear you're moving on, Nep. I think i can say that I've made the jump from my own exes. By which I mean I still miss them. But it's a healthy ache. Like a mending leg.

The solution, besides the walsausages, is to throw oneself into sorting out your life as it stands. Fix the roof, get exciting work, chat up new ladies. Curiosity and excitement about the future is the light to banish the shadows of a fading dawn romance.

I also have a cold.

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Good to hear you're moving on, Nep. I think i can say that I've made the jump from my own exes. By which I mean I still miss them. But it's a healthy ache. Like a mending leg.

The solution, besides the walsausages, is to throw oneself into sorting out your life as it stands. Fix the roof, get exciting work, chat up new ladies. Curiosity and excitement about the future is the light to banish the shadows of a fading dawn romance.

I also have a cold.

Well, I've been more or less moving on since I heard she was pregnant, certainly when I switched jobs. Yesterday was more like a relapse, it still feels a bit odd, but I think I managed to not let it show - for the aunt's sake, mostly. I've had a lot of irons in the fire lately, but again, either they have 2+ children and a nigerian ex-husband lurking somewhere or are friends' kid sisters who make our krezack seem like michelle bachmann. The economist-chick is literally the first (at least) semi-sane not-totally-weighed-down-by-baggage girl I've met in a year. I'm not really piling up the expectations as up as it might seem, I'm just hopelessly analytic about this sort of thing after, especially after the recent run of disasters, and I feel better talking about the vague stuff here than with my friends, which always seems to jinx things. :D

Urf, it is cold and miserable outside. And I have boxes that need to go back up in the attic.

Instead I'm drinking hot tea, hugging the radiator, and forgetting family while I play Tor...

Urf, it is cold and miserable outside. And I have boxes that need to go back up in the attic.

Instead I'm drinking hot tea, hugging the radiator, and forgetting family while I play Tor...

Saw a TOR ad on a bigscreen in the metro. Looks like they are pushing it for Christmas here.

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

Watching Star Wars on TV, endless TOR ads. Planning to grab it at a store on Tuesday, will be out of stock knowing my luck.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

At home with my family. No videa games (well, except for what I can get in on my friends computators), and right now we're all watching the "Lifetime movie of the week" focusing on Christmas. (well, there's two movies right now)

I've made it a bit of a game to pick out who's gonna die in the first 20 minutes, and then how things are going to end up (with the happy woman being the type who just sits around and raises kids... or at least has kids). It's amazing how schlocky and christian things are.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Hm, still trying to stir the christmas cheer like I usually manage.

However, waking up with a stomach ache, the edge of a headache, and having manage to wrench/sprain my wrist somehow last night when doing push-ups.. I'm getting a not-so good feel about the start of this christmas week... :ermm:

While I'm balancing the fact that I'm sure I've forgotten something I should have done, I'm also aware I really have large amounts of escapism available in ToR. Dang it, thats totally satisfying my inner-geek at the moment.

Still, I think a fresh cup of tea, and maybe a plain digestive or two and see how that settles my stomach.

Been pondering what a ludicrous noise blowing your nose is. Well, blowing my nose.

-Elwood Blues

Productive day, for a Monday not bad. Nothing like realising that problem you have trouble solving isn't that hard once you've solved it. :ermm:

Right now am watching some Tribes videos and marveling at their skills.

As a holiday preparation, I made some pie dough over the weekend. I plan to make 2 fruit pies when my in-laws are in town, and my wife requested that I also make a chicken pot pie to eat this week. So I roasted a chicken on Sunday night and put together a pot pie with the leftovers after work on Monday. The filling is ... just OK-- a bit too runny and under-salted, but with a good amount of celery/carrot/mushroom/onion/peas. But I think I really hit it out of the park with the crust.

I'm now seriously looking forward to those fruit pies. I've got some pitted sour cherries that I put in the freezer back in the summertime, but they're not quite enough to make a whole pie. I'll find something to combine them with. And the other pie will, I think, be apple-pear-ginger.

As a holiday preparation, I made some pie dough over the weekend. I plan to make 2 fruit pies when my in-laws are in town, and my wife requested that I also make a chicken pot pie to eat this week. So I roasted a chicken on Sunday night and put together a pot pie with the leftovers after work on Monday. The filling is ... just OK-- a bit too runny and under-salted, but with a good amount of celery/carrot/mushroom/onion/peas. But I think I really hit it out of the park with the crust.

I'm now seriously looking forward to those fruit pies. I've got some pitted sour cherries that I put in the freezer back in the summertime, but they're not quite enough to make a whole pie. I'll find something to combine them with. And the other pie will, I think, be apple-pear-ginger.

The crust is massively under-rated by most people, who use frozen crub and miss out on unctious buttery goodness. You probably already know this, but I thicken up my fillings by using both a butter/wholewheat roux and some fine ground red lentils. Thickens it up a treat.

~

Massively drunk last night. First time in a long while. But woke up needing to puke about 3 am. Feel alright now, if a bit muzzy.

On holiday now until next week. Going to be prepping for Christmas. :banghead:

-Elwood Blues

Massively drunk last night. First time in a long while. But woke up needing to puke about 3 am. Feel alright now, if a bit muzzy.

On holiday now until next week. Going to be prepping for Christmas. :banghead:

You're getting old Wals, I bet 10 years ago you could have put away twice as much and held it all in. I'm in the same boat though. Heck when I was in the Marines I could roll in blasted drunk at 0200 and still make it to PT by 0530 and then finish the daily dozen and the 5 mile run in formation. Now if I wake up hungover I'm useless until after lunch.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

:banghead: I don't know if I COULD have drunk twice as much ten years ago, but I would certainly have tried.

After my very limited stint in service I can attest to the hangover-healing power of doing PT (which we call 'phys', if you're interested). I'd do it now, but frankly I'm quite enjoying the feeling of raw endeavour the hangover's giving me.

last night was one of those impromptu things I always say are awesome. I ran into a friend in town whlie shopping, and we decided that if we were going to consume then we should consume ale. I then met a whole bunch of new people. And if there's one thing I really enjoy it's meeting new people who are friendly and who have good stories to tell.

I shall be back out later today for more booze, I think. Got to get all the sin out of my system before my aged parent shows up to stay. He's given up drink, I think because he gets quite fighty.

Edited by Walsingham

-Elwood Blues

The closest I came was one of the few times I got black out drunk in public years ago.

I later got told there were 13 tequilla shots, and someone thought it would be funny to switch the last one for a double rum on me when I wasn't noticing.

I remember a very clear image of looking at my watch saying 10:13pm, and saying to the guys "no, I don't really have enough money on me tonight to go around several more places"

Then it's blank.

I stirred into consciousness at home, my parents looking at me rather disagreeably, letting me know that a> my friend graham had propped me up in the door at some point, and that b> it was 7am, and I had to go to work at the hospital for the morning shift.

Which started at 7.30am, and went on till 2.30. Hospital kitchen porter. Among other things, pushing the hospital food trolleys out from the kitchen up to the wards and collecting them.

That was... a fun day.

EOY Reviews today, yay, hate these things. I don't drink, so I guess I miss out on things, but never really understood why people get hammered. Been around them when they do, as you can imagine it's not a pretty sight. Although a drunk coworker crying asking "Why do you hate me, man?" was rather amusing. >_<