What you did today

Tale

Christmas shopping!

I have a philosophy. Holidays are supposed to be relaxing. Don't stress the gifts. So, Disaronno for everyone except those who shouldn't or don't drink. Best Buy giftcards for them.

One of the better gift-giving "rules" I've seen is this: everybody gets either scotch or chocolate. Both can serve a very wide range of targeted price-points; it's pretty easy to figure out which people should get which; and most people would be very happy to receive at least one of the two.

I've been over at my sister-in-law's house, where my wife's parents are staying. (They live in CA, while the S-i-L is only a half-hour's drive from here.) As I'm the only person in this crowd who generally enjoys cooking, I've spent a lot of time in the S-i-L's kitchen. Made some nice crabcakes this evening, with a pureed bell-pepper sauce. No better way to kiss up to the in-laws than to cook for them.

Unless you've had to adopt a family like my aunt. They have the nuclear family festivities, but then invite the neighbors over because that family is cut off from their relatives due to stupid things said.

Well, am inviting the waifs and strays around tomorrow. Friends on their own or away from home for Christmas. I miss the buggers after about a week not seeing anyone, to be honest. Family are all well and good. But (and maybe this is boarding school talking) your friends are your real family, I think.

Family now taken over almost whole house. So am kipping in my office. I have a sleeping bag nestled up beside a filing cabinet. I love it. It's like camping, only awesome. I am incredibly tempted to move in permanently.

For some reason I thought you'd said that you were inviting over waifs and strays to be buggered.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Unless you've had to adopt a family like my aunt. They have the nuclear family festivities, but then invite the neighbors over because that family is cut off from their relatives due to stupid things said.

Well, am inviting the waifs and strays around tomorrow. Friends on their own or away from home for Christmas. I miss the buggers after about a week not seeing anyone, to be honest. Family are all well and good. But (and maybe this is boarding school talking) your friends are your real family, I think.

Family now taken over almost whole house. So am kipping in my office. I have a sleeping bag nestled up beside a filing cabinet. I love it. It's like camping, only awesome. I am incredibly tempted to move in permanently.

For some reason I thought you'd said that you were inviting over waifs and strays to be buggered.

I'm hoping that says more about you than about me. ;)

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I'm hoping that says more about you than about me. ;)

And I was tempted to make a suitable comment regarding "the nature of public and/or boarding schools"... :(

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

I can't get over this bloody weather. Christmas should not be held in shirtsleeves.

Edited by Walsingham

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I can't get over this bloody weather. Christmas should not be held in shirtsleeves.

Well, it makes watching the Kempton Winter Festival equivalent of a trip to the Caribbean from the Nordic viewpoint. ;)

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

I'm loading up the RV today and we are headed to San Francisco for a few days. I think we are going to go to the Presidio and Alcatraz, and then spend a day shopping around. Should be a blast!

Should be a long series of lines and traffic jams >.>. It's one of the busiest days of the year!

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

I'm loading up the RV today and we are headed to San Francisco for a few days. I think we are going to go to the Presidio and Alcatraz, and then spend a day shopping around. Should be a blast!

Should be a long series of lines and traffic jams >.>. It's one of the busiest days of the year!

We are spending the week in the city, we won't actually get any shopping done today, as we are just traveling to the park and setting up camp. We also won't do any driving, we park the RV in Marin, take the ferry to the city, and then walk and use buses to get everywhere. So take that Mr. Grinch! ;)

Hit by the Stratfor.com hack. No money lost (apparently), but big flap on.

So Anonymous are now targeting the free press who disagree with them? I know the wikileaks types are chock full of hypocrisy, but seriously? They are nothing but a lynch mob with routers for rope.

-Elwood Blues

Information wants to be free.

And organic matter wants to decay?

WTF, Gorgon? How would you feel if some self-appointed 'justice squadron' hacked your emails?

-Elwood Blues

My observation was systemic, not ideological. However, I suppose you have a right to feel violated. Happens all the time though.

Fair point. A little sympathy is also common, but not on this occasion it would seem. :thumbsup:

-Elwood Blues

Spent the day trying to defend a footballer on my team who's not scoring but has also played about 90 minutes this whole season, concluded football fans are mostly morons. Getting ready to go back to work too, and back to dealing with an anal retentive German reviewing my project.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

My observation was systemic, not ideological. However, I suppose you have a right to feel violated. Happens all the time though.

Fair point. A little sympathy is also common, but not on this occasion it would seem. :thumbsup:

[sheldon Cooper] There, there. It will be allright [sheldon Cooper]

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

back to dealing with an anal retentive

Better than one who's explosive, surely?

-Elwood Blues

Thank you for putting that image in my head, Wals >_<

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Heh, thought I'd do a day without playing any Tor... and while catching up on various other things, reading some books I'd gotten over christmas.. I notice that TOR has spent huuge chunks of the day on downtime due to maintenance, updates and the first big patch. So I guess it was good I was juggling other things..

Thank you for putting that image in my head, Wals >_<

ka-SQUELCH!

-Elwood Blues

Urg. And I think family peace might soon be out of the window.

Mom had tears of frustration and anger because the 10 month old puppy chewed on the corner of a wall, got the paint off, damaged the wood. One more thing piled on, and the cat's being incredibly twitchy around him.

I get the feeling it's going to reach an ultimatum point towards my sister soon.

I kind of have this idea that my sister really didn't realise how much work an alsatian is. She used to get up at 7am to give the dogs a run around before she got to work, but as it crept into winter that slipped to 7.30, then 8... now she practically pushes them outside on their own for five minutes before she's running out the door.

I can't really take the poor bugger out for proper walks, because I can't take him off the lead. The only person he will consistently respond to (at least , if you're calling for him) is my sister. So I can take him for short, on-the-lead walks up and down the hill and around the block, but I can't really give him serious runs and ball-throwing over the common.

And he's suddenly decided he's not interested in those hide-bones you get for them to chew on.. >_<

Don't know if it's any help, but my butcher got me a whole cow hip. Boiled it until the flesh fell off, and then gave that to the dog. Kept the bugger busy. Of course it was larger than he was...

-Elwood Blues