Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Gorth

It's a shame they didn't put much thought into killable quest characters but it's never been their thing, even in Morrowind, though at least there you could kill them and get a message saying you'd broken the game, persist in a doomed world etc, I liked that :lol:

To complicated for the console market ?

It's funny. But if they'd gone the reverse path, had a text description under active effects in Oblivion, and gone to large icons or on-screen indicators in Skyrim, the exact same comment would have been made.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Yet nobody seems to recognize the symptoms of. If a change makes a game easier, it's because console players can't handle difficulty. If a change makes a game harder, it's because console players need action all the time. If it's too simple, it's because console players are stupid. If it's more complex, then I'll break down each stage into a simpler form, then criticize them individually. If it looks good, console players only care about graphics. If it looks bad, consoles can't handle graphics.

Basically, if you can think of a way to frame a change as an insult to someone (which is possible for everything), it's for console players.

The active effects screen isn't even a big change from Oblivion. It's still listed under the magic panel. It just doesn't have a big icon next to each status. Apparently that was for console players. Somehow. I'm not sure. But I'd love to know the reasoning.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Does anyone else feel like there is a screen missing. Why can't I see what my total armor and attack rating is, my resistance to magic, the modified damage of my spells. I don't know what blessing to pick at the temples because I don't know what they do. what disease am I carrying around right now ?

To complicated for the console market ?

You can view blessing and disease effects if you go into your magic menu and view the currently active effects screen (the option at the far right).

I'm loving the game so far, I've gone with an archer and I'm having fun smithing stuff.

I had an interesting time finding a copy of the game. I went out of town Thursday night with the family, and so I couldn't get my preordered copy. So on Friday I decided to head out and see if I could find a copy in Palm Springs somewhere. I had my laptop with me and figured I could play after the kids went to bed.

First I hit Target. They told me they didn't even have a sku for a PC version. So next I found a Best Buy, which was a bit of a drive. When I got there, the lady running the games department told me they just sold the last PC copy that wasn't on hold. I cursed and glared at the huge display of console versions.

I needed to go get some groceries, so I decided to hit a Wal-Mart and make that my last attempt. I had little faith, given the result at Target earlier. I got there and looked at the PC section, and nothing was out. I waited in line to talk to an elderly lady working the games section and asked her about it. She went with me back to the section and said if they had it, it would be out. We moved stuff around but it was definitely not there. I said thanks and we walked back out of the electronics area. As I passed the front desk, I saw a box sitting next to a garbage can. Sticking out were two copies of Skyrim for the PC! The was much rejoicing, and then I shared my cool story online with my bros.

Yet nobody seems to recognize the symptoms of. If a change makes a game easier, it's because console players can't handle difficulty. If a change makes a game harder, it's because console players need action all the time. If it's too simple, it's because console players are stupid. If it's more complex, then I'll break down each stage into a simpler form, then criticize them individually. If it looks good, console players only care about graphics. If it looks bad, consoles can't handle graphics.

Basically, if you can think of a way to frame a change as an insult to someone (which is possible for everything), it's for console players.

The active effects screen isn't even a big change from Oblivion. It's still listed under the magic panel. It just doesn't have a big icon next to each status. Apparently that was for console players. Somehow. I'm not sure. But I'd love to know the reasoning.

It would have been if it had been missing. It's not missing, so in a sense we are both arguing on an old assumption. Let's not forget that the inventory, shortcuts and UI, which are only just barely usable, ARE without a doubt the fault of console design though.

Edited by Gorgon

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

Quick question. For a game like this, it it bad to broaden your perk pics across different components? Like I have a usual melee character who always fires from a distance, and uses magic on occasion, so I've been sinking points to mostly all three, I know there's not a wrong way to play, however will my character be lacking later on do you think?

As far as power gaming goes, Two-handed + Heavy armour + Enchanting + Smithing = win.

Still, I believe a mage is much easier to play. With Illusion and Restoration, plus that Destruction perk that staggers enemies, I've never been in danger of dying. A warrior might get one-shotted on occasion.

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

Levels will come slower, so it might be wise to decide which perks you want now so you can plan ahead. With one for each level though, there are still plenty left to spend on non essential skills.

I'm only level 8 right now, so I am still figuring out what I want to excel at, but has it been said how many times you can level up?

As far as power gaming goes, Two-handed + Heavy armour + Enchanting + Smithing = win.

Still, I believe a mage is much easier to play. With Illusion and Restoration, plus that Destruction perk that staggers enemies, I've never been in danger of dying. A warrior might get one-shotted on occasion.

I'm a theif/assassin'ish build with perk focus on sneak, smithing, enchanting, light armour, singlehanded combat, some restoration and skills in alchemy outside of that - and I have no problems what so ever - so I think the game is just easy. :lol:

Fortune favors the bald.

I'm going to pick this up soon. Between this, Modern Warfare 3, and Batman, as well as continuing my season in NHL11, I'm pretty much finding no time to get all these games in.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

I'm doing a mage in heavy armor with block+one handed, destruction, restoriation, illusion, sneak, archery and crafting 'I can do anything sort' of build.

It's quite hard with no companions, so surprise it's not a power-build. Don't care though, I want to be able to do anything more than I want to be able breeze through my enemies.

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

my build sounds similar to hurlshots

im a sneaky archer who does a lot of smithing. i think stealth is too good in this game though, my sneaking is only at 60, and i can literally get bumped into by enemies and they don't see me if im in the shadows (if im in the light they can see me from a mile away)

i think my next character will be an axe and magic user (who also will do a lot of smithing, i REALLY like the smithing in this game, its a great system)

after that maybe a dual dagger wielding stealthy assassin

then maybe a two handed sword barbarian

i like the perks system, but i wish we had some more options at character creation, but i can see what they were trying to do with the new system, and so far, i think it works pretty well (1000x better than oblivion's broken system)

also, i got an elven bow at level 2, and have been using it ever since, im now on level 24, my bow is smithed up to "flawless" and i've enchanted it with a pretty hefty fire damage buff. i'm only a level from being able to make glass weapons though, so i think im finally about to upgrade.

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

In the main quest I've only gone as far as killing the dragon at Winterrun. Now I'm just playing around with the crafting stuff like smithing, tanning, etc. I'm also going around killing bandits and other undesirables to get my one handed weapon stats up.

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Levels will come slower, so it might be wise to decide which perks you want now so you can plan ahead. With one for each level though, there are still plenty left to spend on non essential skills.

I'm only level 8 right now, so I am still figuring out what I want to excel at, but has it been said how many times you can level up?

Soft cap is 50, hard cap is 70-80.

you stop getting perks at 50 right?

honestly im probably going to make a new character by time my current one hits level 40 or so, i like the process of exploring and becoming more powerful, not so much the play that happens once you can smash everything with your uberstats.

then again, im level 24 and still get put in danger by certain enemies. either the game is better balanced to still provide a challenge, or i just made a weak character, not sure

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

I'm 25 and I think I'm starting to feel the effect of bullet-sponges in the level scaling which is kinda annoying and tempting me to lower the difficulty level a bit for some fights which take 20 minutes of running around like an idiot, keeping my health up and bringing the enemy's health down one pixel at a time.

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

i haven't fought anything like that yet (big hp etc), in fact, even the dragons i've killed usually only take about 10 arrows to go down (i think my arrows are about as high damage as you can get though, i've got three items that raise archery damage by 25% each..., and a bow that's gotten a lot of upgrades put on it)

It's pretty weird I think as many of the dragons take way less damage for me than some of the tougher critters and/or dungeon bosses.

That said, I also spread my skills a lot to things like Speech, Lockpicking and Pickpocketing. Which unfortunately are completely useless in the game. Hopefully there'll be some good mods redoing the level system a bit. I'm really liking the base idea of it with the perks and all, but... yeah. Some of it is just beyond useless.

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

It's pretty weird I think as many of the dragons take way less damage for me than some of the tougher critters and/or dungeon bosses.

That said, I also spread my skills a lot to things like Speech, Lockpicking and Pickpocketing. Which unfortunately are completely useless in the game. Hopefully there'll be some good mods redoing the level system a bit. I'm really liking the base idea of it with the perks and all, but... yeah. Some of it is just beyond useless.

I'm failing lots of speech checks in quests so it's not totally useless, no argument about Lockpicking and Pickpocketing though.

There have a number of power builds been posted on Bethsoft forums.

With maxed alchemy, smithing and enchanting, you can have a Daedric two-handed sword do more than 3000 damage. The armour rating of Daedric armour you can get this way is 2500. Basically, it means one-shotting everything.