Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Gorth

I don't get the story so far.

It's all well that the Empire made peace with the Thalmor, yet they allow them to roam free all over the place and root out the worship of Talos? Never mind it was Talos (Tiber Septim) who founded the damn Empire in the first place.

I wonder if my High Elf will somehow be able to join these Thalmor.

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

stuck in one of the combo locks. Can't go back, it's blocked. there are 6 triggers each with 3 possible settings and no way to confirm if you are on the rigth track. That's too many options to get it by trial and error. There is no cue either anywhere.

Anyone did the mages guild initiation quests pleas spoil me. (fish, snake, bird combination)

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

Feel free to open a spoilers Skyrim thread - as with FNV and other games, we can accommodate a couple of threads but don't want 20 all over.

Still wandering around aimlessly somewhat in the starting region, I had a small bounty from my earlier encounter with the

Thalmor guys

and the soldiers accepted my payment and also took me to that Dragon-something stronghold sitting directly on top of Whiterun. I love the way it looks when you start from the top entrance and look down - the towns still retain something of that Oblivionish "we are a medieval town except clearly planned out by some sort of time-travelling architect" oddness, but have a lot more character and I like the Nordic design on various textures.

I'm quite fond of the enchanting system where you have to destroy existing magic items to learn the specific properties - makes the loot system a lot more robust.

I need a ranged magic spell. I fought some Necromancer Adept that pelted me with ice shards of some kind. Had to eventually bullrush her with a warding spell activated and cut her down with a sword.

Also, do dungeons respawn? Because the necromancer hideout I raided seems like a pretty nice place to crash. Plus there's an enchanting & alchemy table.

Also, do dungeons respawn? Because the necromancer hideout I raided seems like a pretty nice place to crash. Plus there's an enchanting & alchemy table.

I remember some info from a while back saying that the dungeons do respawn, dunno if they actually do though.

Finally started a guild quest line. I keep wanting to run through barrows, but

the end-reward for the college is too tempting.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

I had to forgo making my usual elf character and went with a Nord instead. The elves are butt ugly.

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

At level 15, I'm rocking full deadric armor (upgraded) and the skyforge greatsword (upgraded.) Smithing is nice once you have the coin to just buy the raw materials. I like how the loot is tailored a bit to the hero; I have picked up armor of lockpicking, archery, and two-handed, all of which I use frequently. At the same time, the difficult seems to be on an upward ramp. Even with my shiny armor and awesome sword, I'm dying to bandits in furs wielding basic steel.

Just became a werewolf

So did I.

It kinda sucks.

I remember some info from a while back saying that the dungeons do respawn, dunno if they actually do though.

Sort of. I've cleared out dungeons with 15 bandits and returned much later to find all the corpses have been picked clean and there are 2-3 new enemies.

How often do the dragons attack?

Because I want to happily roam the countryside slaughtering bunnies and other dangerous monsters without being constantly harassed by dragons.

It depends. Each dragon has their own 'nest' and randomly hunts around it. I was sneaking around and found one attacking mudcrabs.

Later on, I went to a fort, a dragon appeared, and aimed right for me. It ignored the 4 odd archers trying firing at it.

I'm going to guess they either become more aggressive the further you progress in the story, or it has something to do with the dragon's color.

can't you put markers on the map ?

I thought you could only do one at a time? Will have to try that. :/

Aldmeri philosophy 101...

Thanks for the break down. Never did like the high elves.

Those who went to High Hrothgar, anyone else encounter a Frost Troll?

Yep. After dying twice, I took out my bow, found a ledge he couldn't reach, and just fired 30 arrows into him while he grumbled. Stupid frost troll.

Edited by Maria Caliban

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

I don't get the complaint about difficulty though, I would die constantly if not for my trusty immortal henchman Sven taking the brunt of the assault. I'm lv7 and I don't have a skill above 25 because I'm having too much fun using bows, all kinds of magic, swords, shields, sneak and so on. Migth explain it.

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

It's all well that the Empire made peace with the Thalmor, yet they allow them to roam free all over the place and root out the worship of Talos? Never mind it was Talos (Tiber Septim) who founded the damn Empire in the first place.

I don't think the Septim dynasty has anything to do with the Empire anymore after their last heir became a dragon statue, so it doesn't seem weird to me that they may find that advantageous for historical revisionist reasons. I may be overestimating Beth's current writers tho', so I'll wait for my copy and see for myself.

Best way to train conjuration: reanimate mudcrabs!

tesv2011111203345725.png

I don't think the Septim dynasty has anything to do with the Empire anymore after their last heir became a dragon statue, so it doesn't seem weird to me that they may find that advantageous for historical revisionist reasons. I may be overestimating Beth's current writers tho', so I'll wait for my copy and see for myself.

It's still stupid considering the Imperials are basically doing nothing but kissing Thalmor butt. They're setting aside human beliefs for Elven beliefs. Ascending into godhood being possible is a basic part of Tamrielic lore.

Not to mention Arkay of the original 8 Divines was once a mortal as well (and the reason why the King of Worms tries so hard to become a god himself).

At level 15, I'm rocking full deadric armor (upgraded) and the skyforge greatsword (upgraded.) Smithing is nice once you have the coin to just buy the raw materials. I like how the loot is tailored a bit to the hero; I have picked up armor of lockpicking, archery, and two-handed, all of which I use frequently. At the same time, the difficult seems to be on an upward ramp. Even with my shiny armor and awesome sword, I'm dying to bandits in furs wielding basic steel.

Since the level cap is 50, I surmize difficulty won't go down any time soon.

There are a few books around that explain the situation, I can't remember all the details but basically the Empire was almost completely wiped out, the Thalmor captured or disrupted most of their holdings and pushed them right back to White Gold Tower, which they then sacked.

The remaining Imperial armies made a last desperate attempt to retake the tower and with a stroke of luck/brilliance they utterly decimated the Thalmor's invasion force, killing their top general.

This caused the Thalmor to re-think their immediate plans for conquest and they offered terms for peace, which happened to include their original demand before the war started, the outlawing of Talos worship.

From what I can tell the Empire is seriously screwed and has no choice right now.

*edit*

I just remembered this thread over at Bethesda, the posts mention The Talos Cult going out of fashion and being forced to worship from basement dwellings even back in Morrowind days, a good retcon probably.

Edited by WDeranged

They've done a pretty good job with the rumours system - as with Oblivion and Morrowind you hear useful information in all sorts of places, but now it also updates your Misc. Journal and sometimes adds map markers (but not always!). I'm having zero problems with no compass/etc, and exploration really is pretty good.

Finding that the sabre cats are acting as a natural barrier to my going some places. Too fast for my archer.

I Just heard some guy mention that there were spells and probably trainers at the mage colledge. I so need a destruction trainer, I can only manage single enemies without a companion. Stole a horse and happened upon an inn on the way.

Use Fury to set multiple enemies against each other, then raise their corpses. Just raided a bandit camp like this.

One thing I would really wish for in upcoming Elder Scrolls games is more variety in quests, though I think many people find the core experience of it all to be the combat/dungeon raiding. The Thieves Guild and Dark Brotherhood is all well enough but it just seems like 90% of quests are of the "go there, retrieve this (which means killing a dungeon full of enemies)" or "go there and kill everything there". I think it does get repetitive rather fast.

Went to the Bard's College since I thought they might offer something different but... First quest is go to cavern, retrieve thingy.

The additional burglary jobs and such in the Thieves Guild are a nice addition but most offer no challenge whatsoever.

They've done a brilliant job on diversifying the world more since Oblivion, and I really enjoy how different the environs feel despite it all being part of the "cold northern lands" type of place. But I would love for quests to get an injection of some Fallout, some diversity, into them with more ways to solve things beyond killing everything. Still, I suppose that's not what the series is about but... eh.

I'm already getting tired of killing wolves and pelting Draugr's with arrows before they can get out of their coffins, sad to say. Such a beautifully crafted world (and it really is stunning at times) needs more varied stuff to do to really fulfill its potential if you ask me.

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

Fury is fantastic - I checked out Fort Greymouth or something or other to the west of Whiterun, and the warhammer-swinging bandit highwayman in particular was too much for me, but I ended up collecting bandits into groups then setting multiple Fury's on each other.

I haven't seen a lot of quests to the end yet - I've been impressed by the way they are presented and the way we first gather information - e.g. learning about the Redguard on the run at Whiterun - but

once you find her it seems like she just wants you to go somewhere and kill someone, sure.

We'll see how they pan out.