Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Gorth

Tiber Septim wasn't a rapist, he just took advantage of the notorious promiscuity of a Dunmer in her adolescency.

Conjuration levels up way too fast in comparison with the other mage schools once you get a Bound Sword spell. Strangely enough it also levels up outside combat unlike Alteration. I got it to 50 without even trying.

tesv2011111217461479.png

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

In contrast, I'm level 12 and my illusion is still below 20. I think illusion is really hard to level up in the TES system, because you're likely to cast it only once for enemy. You should get a really big boost for a successful cast, maybe. Similarly, the whole point of going light armour rather than heavy is that you don't want to get hit in the first place, so...

In contrast, it seems lockpick skill increases even when you fail, so I wasted 10 locks on an expert and got it to level up... hmm.

In contrast, it seems lockpick skill increases even when you fail, so I wasted 10 locks on an expert and got it to level up... hmm.

The lockpicking/security is the first thing I'll be modding, just like Fallout 3 I can crack expert locks within seconds -_-

*edit*

I just got a chuckle over in the modding forums, some people know the ropes so well from previous games that a few mods have already been made without the Creation Kit, including one that slows levelling for those interested, also the god awful UI is Flash based, DarN is currently working on it.

Edited by WDeranged

I just got a chuckle over in the modding forums, some people know the ropes so well from previous games that a few mods have already been made without the Creation Kit, including one that slows levelling for those interested, also the god awful UI is Flash based, DarN is currently working on it.

Bethesda should just hire him and have him be the lead for UI design on PC platform for all their future games.

Bethesda should just hire him and have him be the lead for UI design on PC platform for all their future games.

Agreed.

258,550 258,550 The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

78,551 79,213 Call of Duty Modern Warfare 3 - Multiplayer

39,273 41,669 Call of Duty Modern Warfare 3

Don't normally pay much attention to the Steam stats, but a friend pointed this out to me. Skyrim has more players on PC than MW3 at the moment.

I'm going to need better directions than "the secret lair."

-==(UDIC)==-

The story is all about me creeping about snow-capped mountains, finding loot, fighting in tunnels and sniping people. Works for me.

-_-

@ Gorgon, it's like all the other Beth games ... hit the tilde ~ key (edit:on US keyboards anyway, not sure about other regions). Most of the usual commands seem to still work, but probably not all. I'm still waiting for the editor to be released...

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Does anyone know how to work the console. I want to reclaim all those points I put into sword and shield, they just don't work with the shortcut system, and put them in two handed. I don't want to restart just for that.

Try "player.modav [block|blade] [+/- ammount of points]".

Not sure on two-handed skill name tho.

Edited by pmp10

How about....is there a console command to stop the player chr. view from spinning round and round and round when you haven't moved for a few minutes? I had a mod to turn that off in FNV but no Skrim editor yet...keep looking through the console command lists but...

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

This is quickly becoming my favorite Bethesda game, though I still think Morrowind beats it for atmosphere. The Dwenmer (sp?) ruins I've come across are nice looking but seem smaller. I've started clearing dungeons, then equipping a torch and going through it again. Lots of hidden levers/secret areas.

The handcrafting really shows. Picked up a quest to save a guy from a dungeon and it turned out to have a word-of-power. The dungeon was set up so you go down an incline and at the end of the room there's a chest and then that wall with the words with a floor covered in greenery between you. I snuck to, expecting an undead to pop out of one of the surrounding coffins. Just as I reached the chest, the floor gave out under my character's feet and I plunged into a water filled cave below. Immediately, a necromancer appeared and started gloating about catching yet another greedy fool.

I don't recall a moment like that in previous Elder Scroll games.

Okay, DRAGONS. I am starting to hate them. I can take the one's with frost breath because I'm a Nord and have that 50% resistance to cold, but the fire ones kick my butt. The last one, I shot a single arrow at it, ran up to the wall to grab the word-of-power, and then just ran back to a nearby mine instead of fighting it.

Is archery part of the combat skill group, or the stealth skill group? I ask because I spent another encounter on a hard to reach ledge firing arrow after arrow into a Spiggen Matron and my archery only leveled once. I think I'm at 32 with it while my two-handed is at 56. I wish we could craft arrows as I can only find small batches of Orc, Dwemer, and Felmer arrows, so have to rely on the mass of Steel arrows I've collected.

My character build is: Two-handed, archery, heavy armor, smithing, sneak, and lockpicking.

Sneaking in full orcish armor is damn hard so I mostly use it to snipe one enemy with a bow, and then spring up and slaughter everything else with my sword.

Edit: I stumbled upon the thieves' guild quest. Amusingly, it's supposed to be triggered by getting a specific item 'you can only get by stealing.' I found said item in the middle of a crypt, and picking it up isn't considered stealing by the game.

Edited by Maria Caliban

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

The Muffle spell from the Illusion school makes you move quietly. Not sure how much armour affects it.

Just picked up a boatload of new spells in Markarth (I ended up there by accident, but it is quickly becoming my new favourite place, with the ambient Morrowind tracks it uses, plus some really great quests). The rune spells combined with new ranged destruction spells make the game much easier.

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

I just did one of the most atmospheric quests so far over in Solitude, a den of necromancers were attempting to resurrect a long dead queen (not Freddie Mercury), the sheer atmosphere of the dungeon and magic effects really struck me, I had to use every health potion I had for the climax, reloaded several times, loved it -_-

The best Dragon fight I've had so far was outside Riften when I first arrived, it was night and the weather was abysmal, there was a decent sense of danger as the dragon circled, appearing out of the fog now and then to attack, me and the town guard eventually took it down with arrows.

I just read an interesting article about the PC issues with Skyrim, he's blowing his lid a bit but the points are totally fair.

Edited by WDeranged

Game download completes in about 20 mins, anyone have any quick tips for starting out? That or anything of interest I should make note of when I get out of the starting tutorial?

Edited by Syraxis

Game download completes in about 20 mins, anyone have any quick tips for starting out? That or anything of interest I should make note of when I get out of the starting tutorial?

Make sure you have a ranged weapon of some sort. Magic or a bow.

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

1-Once I learn a spell, do I need to carry the book around with me?

2-Can you stash stuff anywhere that isn't "owned" - eg, is anything safe outside of houses you buy?

1-Once I learn a spell, do I need to carry the book around with me?

No. I believe when you learn a spell, the book vanishes.

2-Can you stash stuff anywhere that isn't "owned" - eg, is anything safe outside of houses you buy?

There's a chance someone will grab it unless it's in your house. After I became a Companion, I stored items in their rest area and no one took anything. I stuck some items in a chest in a dungeon and when I returned later, a few weapons were gone.

Edited by Maria Caliban

Make sure you have a ranged weapon of some sort. Magic or a bow.

Noted. Thank you kindly. -_-

@Maria - ah...thanks. Hm. I need my usual weight-carry cheat mod. Hehe. I typically like to double it.

Another question, where do you buy a pickaxe for the mining? Don't see it in the first town, maybe I missed it.

...after running around randomly exploring topside w/my D. Elf, creating a Breton & a kitty (but not playing them yet), finally doing the stuff everyone else in the world has already done. -_- Haven't actually had time to play too many hours yet either. Hopefully that'll change tonight.

A nice lady named Mephala has started whispering to me from behind a door. She wants a bit of help freeing herself from imprisonment.

Another question, where do you buy a pickaxe for the mining? Don't see it in the first town, maybe I missed it.

I just went to a mine and took one from inside. The blacksmith in Whiterun had one. They might be under Weapons or Misc, I forget.