Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Depending on how they handle attribute increases, a lot of the annoyance I had with Oblivion's leveling would be fixed.

Unless I'm mistaken attribute increases have been dropped from the game. Your attributes don't change, only your skills. A huge improvement on the completely broken and unbalanced leveling system of MW and OB, imo.

There are 3 'attributes' left to increase during a levelup. Health, Stamina and Mana (or was it magicka, or something, I forget). Others have been cut out completely.

Perkele, tiädäksää tuanoini!

"It's easier to tolerate idiots if you do not consider them as stupid people, but exceptionally gifted monkeys."

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/tgs-11-e...-scrolls/720774

It seems the questmarkers and questaid got an expand (beyond the clairvoyance breadcrumtrail spell and questcompass), as there appears to be a floating questarrow over an NPC head.

Also, another video with bashing some bandits: http://www.gametrailers.com/video/tgs-11-e...-scrolls/720773

Edited by Undecaf

Perkele, tiädäksää tuanoini!

"It's easier to tolerate idiots if you do not consider them as stupid people, but exceptionally gifted monkeys."

I'm starting to actually get interesting in Skyrim now. Just watched the 20-minutes of gameplay and been looking through some of the other information out there. Don't usually pick up TES games at release, but I don't have anything on my must buy list until ME3 comes out next year, unless I'm forgetting something, so that might have something to do with too.

I'm going to need better directions than "the secret lair."

-==(UDIC)==-

Depending on how they handle attribute increases, a lot of the annoyance I had with Oblivion's leveling would be fixed.

Unless I'm mistaken attribute increases have been dropped from the game. Your attributes don't change, only your skills. A huge improvement on the completely broken and unbalanced leveling system of MW and OB, imo.

You haven't seen unbalanced and completely broken unless you've accidentally maxed out Daggerfall's speed and climbing skills. I remember running through Daggerfall (the city Daggerfall inside the game) with my high-speed character, accidentally climb a building that I couldn't avoid in time, fling myself up up and away into the sky (because of my great speed, you see) and immediately die on impact with the ground when I finally landed five seconds later.

It was hilarious.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

You haven't seen unbalanced and completely broken unless you've accidentally maxed out Daggerfall's speed and climbing skills. I remember running through Daggerfall (the city Daggerfall inside the game) with my high-speed character, accidentally climb a building that I couldn't avoid in time, fling myself up up and away into the sky (because of my great speed, you see) and immediately die on impact with the ground when I finally landed five seconds later.

It was hilarious.

Unbalanced and broken yes.... and also FRACKING AWESOME!

Oblivion was just unbalanced and broken in boring ways.

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

I don't mind unbalanced if it leads to funny or creative things, yes. That's what I liked about levitation / etc in Morrowind.

On the latest trailer - (1) dear me, that is a terrible, terrible, terrible UI, and that's coming from someone who thought Alpha Protocol / Witcher 2 wasn't that bad. (2) I don't know what it is, but Skyrim seems to have trouble setting itself apart from many other open world fantasy games that have followed Oblivion, whereas back in the day Oblivion was at least unique - i.e. nobody did open world exploration as 'well' as they did, apart from the Gothic series/Risen which is a different beast. Wondering whether, depending on how the competition shapes up (i.e. not shooting itself in the foot like Two Worlds 2), Bethesda's supremacy in their own niche will be threatened.

who else makes games like this? other than fallout 3 and new vegas I can't remember any big open world exploration games since oblivion. what am i forgetting?

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

lol. It's been so long since I played Daggerfall, I can't remember if it was broken or not!

But, regardless, it had an awesome character creation system, and while the spell absorption special ability was definitely useful, I found it often failed to kick in when you needed it most: like when a vampire ancient tossed a big-time shock spell your way. More often than not I would be toasted in my boots if relying on spelll absorbtion. The shield spells were much more useful since at full strength they could absorb most of one big spell hit.

That's what I remember anyway. :lol:

Edited by Slowtrain
Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

Against liches, a reflect spell was much more useful. THe point of spell absorption was to never run out of mana when you repeatedly cast spells at walls to level up.

Morrowind removed advantages/disadvantages, but strangely enough removed the limit on training so that munchkining was even more effortless than in Daggerfall.

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

lol. That's right! SPell Reflection. Awesome stuff.

I remember one dungeon, where I walked through a door, heard a loud explosion-sound, turned around and foudn a dead lich behind the door. He had blown himself up on my spell reflection.

Spell reflection. Never leave home without it.

iirc, the most powerful special ability in Daggefall's character system was the immunity to paralysis, which was also a nice bonus in playing a High ELf, who had that special ability built-in. I always found paralysis to be the biggest danger in the game, and the most annoying.

As a special attack for enemies, it probably should have been balanced a little better.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

Some pictures from TGS 2011 here (site is Japanese).

Looks like they're using Fallout's lockpicking mini-game for Skyrim. Better that than Oblivion's mini-game.

sky63.jpg

Looks like a child in the background, I'm glad they're going with the Fallout 3 lockpicking system, though having the barrel rotate on an old fashioned lock seems a bit weird.

*edit*

I love it when Chrome tries to translate Japanese.

"and from previous work as an RPG is powered up and all respects, just like another game like 5 years of evolution while clenching Enjoy crisp"

While clenching, enjoy crisp! :lol:

I always found paralysis to be the biggest danger in the game, and the most annoying.

I remember a particular skeleton in the ashlander burial caverns in Morrowind, that cheap bastard had me stumped for ten minutes with enchanted arrows, loved it, I hope they keep paralysis in.

Edited by WDeranged

Paralysis wasn't as bad in MW, since you could drink potions while paralayzed. (An oddity to be sure.)

In Daggerfall, paralyzed was paralyzed. You just stood there and died.

High Elf really was the best class in early TES games. You could take critical weakness to paralysis as disadvantage, since they were immune to paralysis anyway, and gain a ton of free points to invest elsewhere.

lol. Munchkin! jk. :thumbsup:

I almost always played High Elves in Daggerfall. MW not so much. Don't think I played more than one or two brief stints as a High Elf in Oblivion. They're coolness factor dropped considerably over those three iterations of the ES.

The thing I really liked about the Daggerfall character creation system was how you could weight the difficulty of leveling with how many advantages/disadvantages you gave your character. I always liked a really slow-levelign character so I would run that needle right up to the red zone and give my character all sorts of cool bonuses in the process plus max hit points/level.

My characters tended to be insanely tough, but they only leveled-up like once a year. lol.

Really, Daggerfall had a fabulous character creation system. I can't think of anything comparable.