Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

It's virtually unplayable today. It's actually a good example for everyone who uses words like "atrocious" or "horrendous" about today's games. So much is missing from Daggerfall to make it feel like a "real" game by today's standards. It says a lot about how the standards have been raised since then, because when Daggerfall was released it was the absolute top of the line, both in graphics and gameplay/content.

And I have to pimp this once again: http://xlengine.com/

I would wait until that project has Daggerfall playable again. It still won't make up for the cardboard characters, the nonexistant dialogue, the repetitive dungeons/landscape/sidequests.. but at least it will keep the game from hurting your eyes so much.

Btw.. Daggerfall has something like 16384 visitable locations (all slightly randomized using the same handful of templates). The map is roughly the equivalent size of real life Britain. It is still, to this day, the biggest game I have ever played (with the possible exception of Elite).

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

I tried to play daggerfall when it first came out. The character creation and advancement screens are pretty good. They are the only good thing about it though.

Appart from being so ugly it might permanently damage your visual cortex, it doesn't play that well either. In this case the good old days were definately not that.

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

I tried to play daggerfall when it first came out. The character creation and advancement screens are pretty good. They are the only good thing about it though.

Appart from being so ugly it might permanently damage your visual cortex, it doesn't play that well either. In this case the good old days were definately not that.

No, this is wrong. It plays well. In fact, it was one of the first games I remember playing that had mouselook. Try going back to games before mouselook and you will experience what not playing well means. For example, I absolutely loved the Ultima Underworld games when they came out. Try replaying them now (Hint: they do not have mouselook). Daggerfall plays extremely well by comparison.

The problem is that we've come to expect so much more from our games nowadays. Daggerfall feels extremely empty by today's standards. There is basically only the main quest that's worth following, and it only covers something like 0,1% of the gameworld.

Both Arena & Daggerfall are essentially infinite dungeon crawlers. While Arena had minimal lore and a linear main quest that gets very repetitve, Daggerfall had an intriguing, multi-pathed main quest and a fully fledged out setting with tons of (non-censored) lore books spread around.

Morrowind is a small-scale, non-randomized and much less complex version of Daggerfall. The only thing it does better, is atmosphere.

Edited by virumor

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

It looks like leveling by doing is back. Every blow delivered in anger with the wrong weapon has the potential to worsen your stats by averages. That and you will be bunny jumping everywhere . I am not a fan of losing control of character development like this. Even if it doesn't make a huge difference.

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

How is Daggerfall an empty game?

We must have different definitions of empty because from where I sit Daggerfall has more awesome stuff in it than pretty much any other game I've ever played. Everytime I played the game I found and experienced stuff that had never happened before and never happened again. It was an amazing gameworld.

The only place Daggerfall really suffers is the graphics and the bugs. If you can tolerate those, which I can, there's really nothing negative to say it. Even the learn-by-doing approach to skill building actually mostly works.

If you're looking for a tightly-wound linear narative, or "cinematic" experience, then yes, Daggerfall probably isn't a good fit.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

I sat through worse than that a month ago or so when playing Darklands, and I did it with the realization that hey, this is still a kick-ass game. Same with Daggerfall when I replayed it last. That doesn't mean that some parts are more or less painful nowadays of course. But whenver I play through those games now I can't help but feel it's a shame that not more games were built upon and improved upon that amibition. Refined that vision of really open gameplay.

But now we have Max Von Sydow voicing games so I guess it's alright, yeah.

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

Just to remind everyone what we are talking about. Graphics are on par wit the original Doom. If you can sit through that....

Sit through Doom?

I was playing Doom (1) last week.

(Not as good a game as

, but still a great shooter IMO.) Edited by Gizmo

How is Daggerfall an empty game?

We must have different definitions of empty because from where I sit Daggerfall has more awesome stuff in it than pretty much any other game I've ever played. Everytime I played the game I found and experienced stuff that had never happened before and never happened again. It was an amazing gameworld.

The only place Daggerfall really suffers is the graphics and the bugs. If you can tolerate those, which I can, there's really nothing negative to say it. Even the learn-by-doing approach to skill building actually mostly works.

If you're looking for a tightly-wound linear narative, or "cinematic" experience, then yes, Daggerfall probably isn't a good fit.

If you think randomly generated dungeons/towns are content, then yes, Daggerfall is full of content. If you, like me, don't care for randomly generated content, then Daggerfall is very very empty.

I only remember the main quest being "hand made", but I may be wrong on this. The point is that 99,9% of Daggerfall is randomly generated and for me that makes it feel empty.

If you think randomly generated dungeons/towns are content, then yes, Daggerfall is full of content. If you, like me, don't care for randomly generated content, then Daggerfall is very very empty.

I only remember the main quest being "hand made", but I may be wrong on this. The point is that 99,9% of Daggerfall is randomly generated and for me that makes it feel empty.

How can it be empty if so much of it is randomly generated?

*I don't see the hassle with this, what's so special about hand done?

(Ever play DungeonHack? Its main feature is not only that it has generated maps, but the player can even alter the settings it uses to generate them.

The lead programmer even brags in the manual that even he can't predict the game.)

While Daggerfall was randomly generated, a lot of Morrowind's content was so bland, it might as well have been randomly generated.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Actually Daggerfall was more dynamic than random.

Yes, all the dungeons other than then main quest ones were randomly assembled from various forms and pieces, and a lot of weapons were randomly generated, but pretty much everything else was hand-designed and inserted into the game. Then depending on your actions and choices and where you went and the things you saw, the game would dynamically "hand-out" the built in content.

Daggerfall had far more content than any game I've ever seen outside of a giant mmorpg. I played many, many games of Daggerfall and there was so much stuff that I only encountered in one game and never before or after. There was also lots of stuff that I encountered multiple times as well, of course.

I totally understand why gamers who like a very linear and considered narrative would not enjoy it, but Daggerfall really is the top single-player open-world game ever made.

edit: It was actually somewhat more complicated than that really, since the gameworld basically ran by itself and various states would change based on various factors and the actions of the different factions, much of which ran completely independent of , or only slightly affected by, your character's actions.

Edited by Slowtrain
Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.