Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

*downloading*

I hope this lasts longer than my Ultima game. Are there any add-ons or updates for it?

Whoops, browser crash.

Anyway there's a utility I think for dosbox that helps prevent corrupted save data for daggerfall.

Edited by Syraxis

obsesses over every frame of the demo video, good to watch if you're bored.

Ah yes, the man (apparently) (in)famous for his disastrous Daggerfall and Morrowind Let's-Plays.

Dunno about disastrous, fecking slow maybe, he bumbles around getting stuck all over the place but that's kind of the appeal, I wish I could enjoy a game for so long.

He picked a mage on his first playthrough, one of the more involved classes to play, then didn't even bother training his skills and buying/making new spells... then jumped into the main quest and got killed around ten times by Snowy Gravius. Kinda painful to watch.

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

Snowy Gravius.

Isn't that the dude on the bridge on the way to the Dwemer ruin just outside Balmora?

Getting your character killed by him is like getting your character killed by a hangnail. Embarrassing.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

Mudcrabs.

They're just there as NPC conversation fodder. :thumbsup:

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

See, there shouldn't even be a comparison with action games. Elder Scrolls had a tradition of stat based gameplay before Oblivion.

If Morrowind actually had parry and dodge animations for when your attack missed (like in Drakensang or Neverwinter Nights), nobody would ever have complained that they didn't hit anything at close range or their weapon passing through the enemy and we could still have had stat-based first-person combat. Or at least, they could have introduced a full third-person version with Age of Conan mechanics.

Then again, I play as mage anyway.

Edited by virumor

If Morrowind actually had parry and dodge animations for when your attack missed (like in Drakensang or Neverwinter Nights), nobody would ever have complained that they didn't hit anything at close range or their weapon passing through the enemy and we could still have had stat-based first-person combat. Or at least, they could have introduced a full third-person version with Age of Conan mechanics.

That's something I could actually agree with, but it's also a direction that I think fans would have frowned on just as much as what they did with Oblivion. Either way, I do hope they made weapon skills feel a bit more meaningful.

Speaking of the perk trees, they're better than what I was expecting, but kind of uninspired.. then again, Obsidian themselves struggled a bit with it with New Vegas, so I can't completely fault Bethesda for taking a safe route and going mostly with percentage changes.

I'm reminded of Clint Eastwood's line from The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly: "Never have I seen so many men wasted so badly."

Why does Bethesda even bothering hiring "Big Name" voices just to have them recite inspid writing?

I mean, I like Liam Neeson, Patrick Stewart, Sean Bean, yet they were all pretty sucktastic in Bethesda's game.

Just stick with Wes Johnson and the other regulars; they are more than good enough for this.

I'm reminded of Clint Eastwood's line from The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly: "Never have I seen so many men wasted so badly."

Why does Bethesda even bothering hiring "Big Name" voices just to have them recite inspid writing?

I mean, I like Liam Neeson, Patrick Stewart, Sean Bean, yet they were all pretty sucktastic in Bethesda's game.

Just stick with Wes Johnson and the other regulars; they are more than good enough for this.

Damn straight. It's hard to imgine a more pointless use of Patrick Stewart, unless it was to voice act a non-speaking mosquito.

Actually, that would be pretty cool. :p An all star cast of non-speaking animals.

ROFL! Cows, voiced by Brian Blessed! Terrifying!

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

What baffles me, until I remember that most game studios aren't based in the UK, is why they don't emphasise radio actors. In the UK we have wadges of radio drama and comdey, coming from the BBC.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I'm not disagreeing with having a variety of voices in the game, just pondering the point of spending money on famous actors for the voices, especially when the spoken dialogue is horribly written.

Wes Johnson would have been just as effective in Patrick Stewart's role in Oblivion. WHich isn't to say that Wes Johnson == Patrick Stewart but with Bethesda's limited skill set, Patrick Stewart is grotesque overkill and isn't going to be effectively utilized.

And that doesn't mean all the programmers have to bring in their brothers and sisters to read the parts either. Lots of good actors, theatrical and otherwise, out there who could benefit from some work and do a great job.

I recognize that hiring people like Patrick Stewart is 99% PR and allows Bethesda another avenue to pimp their game, but I still think that the practice can be criticized.

edit: spelling

Edited by Slowtrain

It's the norm nowadays for celebrities or pseudo-celebrities to appear in video games.

Patrick Stewart doing voice-work in a game isn't all that special, really. He's been in Lands of Lore and almost every Star Trek game every made. At least he has an imposing and recognizable voice. In many cases, I do not even recognize celebrities in video games.