Random video game news.

Rosbjerg

Ok, so you start "hardly" and then everything you say agrees with me? :)

Well no - I think anyone would do the same with the project of this size, there is simply way too much at stake to take chances with it.

So I wouldn't call it trying new things or preparing the launch differently from other companies, those things have all been done before.

The only interesting questions regarding TOR is it's longevity and eventual Blizzard reaction if the exodus from WoW dose take place.

It's not like Blizzard position is set in stone and failing to adapt to console gaming may yet cost them dearly.

Allright, but I'm still of the opinion that the reason they are not having a public beta isn't the fact that they think the game sucks, which is what I was replying to. ;)

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

The key has always been post-release support. If they add content and fix whatever problem will pop up in a timely manner, it will be fine.

Well, that and a decent end-game.

Well, this is MMO's you're talking about... if it wasn't supported after there'd be no reason for the monthly fee

Go tell that to Age of Conan and the other dozens of MMOs that have started out with a bang and died a few months later.

Blizzard didn't throw an open beta either.

Err. May have misread this because I'm not sure what you mean with "throw", but I'm pretty sure WoW had an open beta, three weeks before official release was an open beta and stress test (and it in fact hammered their servers in the first week). I'm pretty sure because that was the first time I played it.

Also, I doubt there will be a mass exodus from WoW. If you ask most WoW players why they play it, the answer isn't the setting, or because they think it's fun, the first answer they usually give is "because my friends play". So for most WoW players it would take a large part of their friends to migrate to TOR along with them before they would consider it.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying TOR won't do good or can't at least steal a portion of the WoW user base away. I think TOR has a better chance at this than any MMO had before. I'd play it if I had the time or money and it will probably be the best performing MMO since WoW. I'm just saying, I don't think it will hurt WoW that much and Blizzard will still be printing money from that for years to come.

Edited by TrueNeutral

It'll do ok, good mix of IP/Company fanboys. Is funny to hear people slam it for the combat being boring though, heh.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I really need to see how the open beta goes to be sure, but I think TOR will be fine. The key is if it is ready. If they rush it, that's a death sentence.
Good luck with that, there is no open beta, and they've stated as much. All they've announced is they're holding beta weekends in september where high number of people will be INVITED to join.

That's pretty much what I mean by an open beta. If you have registered for the beta, I'm assuming at some point you will get an invite to one of these stress tests. WoW did the same thing.

We should remember that for every Warhammer Online and Age of Conan, there are games that have succeeded like Lord of the Rings Online and Rift.

I'll probably give this try, well assuming I can overpower my utter disdain for other people anyway. :)

And potentially kerfluffle spawning BF3 news - Have to use BattleLog for game browsing

Edited by Malcador

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

it looks way more interesting than the name would suggest

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

I'll probably give this try, well assuming I can overpower my utter disdain for other people anyway. :shifty:

And potentially kerfluffle spawning BF3 news - Have to use BattleLog for game browsing

From the two days I had in the Alpha, the BattleLog system actually seemed to work quite well. It was a little strange at first, having to start the game from the browser, but not completely foreign, since Battlefield Free2Play uses a similar, but striped down, system.

I'm going to need better directions than "the secret lair."

-==(UDIC)==-

http://twitter.com/#!/supererogatory/s...667412569399297

http://j.mp/oSP8X2 - Ubisoft was working on an "Oblivion-style" Might & Magic game a few years back
Senior Game Designer

Ubisoft

January 2009 - July 2009 (7 months) Shanghai, China

Game design for I Am Alive reconstruction 03, including a non-kill oriented FPS shooting system involving group AI behaviors where threats and wounding were promoted over murder as the most effective gameplay mechanic.

Game design and several story passes for unannounced Heroes of Might and Magic game, which began as an RTS and was changed to an Oblivion style RPG before being cancelled.

Edited by funcroc

Still no news from Relic. Since its not likely to be Homeworld 3 here's me hoping for an eastern front Company of Heroes 2.

И погибе Српски кнез Лазаре,
И његова сва изгибе војска, 
Седамдесет и седам иљада;
Све је свето и честито било
И миломе Богу приступачно.

"It's just a sad sign of the times that hype sells games better than demos do."

Sign of the times? This has always been true. Hype has always trumped demos. Always.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

"It's just a sad sign of the times that hype sells games better than demos do."

Sign of the times? This has always been true. Hype has always trumped demos. Always.

Here's

Volo

Hey peeps, what's the general opinion on the upcoming:

http://www.thesecretworld.com

I really like the premise...

Hey peeps, what's the general opinion on the upcoming:

http://www.thesecretworld.com

I really like the premise...

Well it's Funcom and while I played and enjoyed Age of Conan for a while, they are not very good at keeping a persistent curve of excitement that keeps you playing. I hope they'll stop this mmo business and return to The Longest Journey series.

Fortune favors the bald.

I considered playing Age of Conan for a while but was turned off by all the bad rep the game got.

Was it as bad as they say?

Was it as bad as they say?

No, it was beautiful, had some interesting and more mature players that I imagine roam some of the more popular games. I played on an RP PVP server, which of course helped in regards to maturity.

But while the community and the setting was extremely nice the gameplay was just sorta lacking, I completely lost interest in leveling because the grinding was so horrible. But I hate mmos exactly for that so call me jaded.

Fortune favors the bald.

Well I hate them for that too, so I guess Conan is not for me, but I'm curious how they are going to offer a modern city RPG because there are so many things that could stand out and break immersion...

And they are promising less grindy gameplay, removing classes and levels in favor of a skill based system etc.