RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS THREAD!

@Calax: I think you can infer from your own post why they don't want to directly address the issue, probably the same reason 39 to 44 are gone from history books in Germany.

I wasn't saying anything about why they were putting the message in place, just that they were putting the messages into most of their war games.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

@Calax: I think you can infer from your own post why they don't want to directly address the issue, probably the same reason 39 to 44 are gone from history books in Germany.

I wasn't saying anything about why they were putting the message in place, just that they were putting the messages into most of their war games.

It's their polite way of addressing the past; notice also that this treatment is mostly directed towards modern war, samurai on the other hand can be as violent and bloodthirsty as they want to.

Also interesting subject on the fact, The Black Dragon Society is a real life group that could be considered the equivalent of those villain fractions on Japanese games.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Well, utilizing gundam as the main example, Timono didn't have the puppet government or anything in 0079. That was a purely independence driven conflict (with the space colony held furthest from the Earth declaring that they should be free), and yet he still managed to drive home the "War is Hell" message by whoing how Aumro Ray transforms from bright young nieve kid (to a degree) into battlehardened weapon. And it potrays just how devestating war can be (What with the entire global climate having been changed due to colony drop).

This sort of thing slips through each of his works, and the alternate uses tend to get a little more... hamfisted about it (looking at YOU Endless Waltz!)

As to the Samurai thing, I think that traces back to the concepts of the warrior between the cultures. In Japan, being a Samurai is a warrior from top to bottom, you have to spend years training your mind and body on the art of warfare before being considered a Samurai. In the West, to be a warrior just means you spent 12 weeks at a camp with a shotgun and you're ready to blow some suckers heads off.

I suppose you could say that much of the video-game based anti-war messages tend to come from the more modern idea of warfare (where fighting is done from behind a computer with drones), compared to "honorable" combat between two people who beat the bejesus out of one another.

;)

All that 'Awesome' and 'Accessible for lowest common denominator' had to pay dividende eventually...

Although, if you blow up buildings because somebody did it in a video game (did somebody actually blow up a building in DA2?), you probably have more serious issues than a video game addiction anyway (like a complete detachment from reality).

Yes, somebody blew up a building in DA2, with magic. Yet instead of "magic", that guy used a car bomb, like has been done thousands of times in the real life.

Wait, maybe he did use magic, he'd been planning this from before DA2 came out, so he probably time-travelled into the future to get inspiration.

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

scientists say/research shows, that people who play violent video games tend to be less violent in real life, as a rule.

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

They pretty much used the same arguments decades ago on comic books. Which brough us the "Comics Code Authority" back in the 50's.

So they cut down on violence, removed supernatural elements, forbid "lurid or gruesome illustrations", condemnded "sexy, wanton elements", and successfully killed a large section of the comic industry at the time....

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

As a rule? I have my doubts.

But a scientist said it, apparently. Do you think you're better than a scientist?

Anyway, I too have my doubts. Are they less violent because they play violent video games, or are the less violent because they are nerds?

Are they less violent because they play violent video games, or are the less violent because they are nerds?

good point ;) anyway, presumably, gamers channel all their anger or whatever, after they're done with the game they don't have any aggression left in them

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

But a scientist said it, apparently. Do you think you're better than a scientist?

The problem is scientists reach conflicting conclusions on the subject.

IIRC there have been a number of studies on the subject of video game violence effect on children and most were poorly done and written with an agenda. Just like with any controversial social issue the only thing science shows is that researchers themselves are biased and will purse conclusion their employer expects.

Edited by pmp10

The problem is scientists reach conflicting conclusions on the subject.

IIRC there have been a number of studies on the subject of video game violence effect on children and most were poorly done and written with an agenda. Just like with any controversial social issue the only thing science shows is that researchers themselves are biased and will purse conclusion their employer expects.

While this is a fascinating tangent, the guy had been planning it for ~9 years, he bought a farm so he could get the fertiliser for the ANFO etc., so unless we're gonna go with duke 3d and the building explosions in there, could we get back to the gaming news? ;)

Like that DA2 Legacy DLC releases tomorrow. And wow, that's about it. Did we talk about the Golden Eye rework also getting x360 and PS3 releases already? :p

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

Maybe the bomber wanted the attacks to coincide with the release of DA legacy but missed it because of unforeseen causes. ;)

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

From Dust may be getting delayed on the PC.

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/show...d.php?t=1992795

D2D UK is saying August 17th.

GamersGate is also listing August 17th.

http://www.gamersgate.com/DD-FD/from-dust

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

How did you end up talking about Gundam, of all things? :)

Because it's an easy example of the Japanese putting anti-war messages within their media.

The resemblance is quite odd...which makes me question something, this guy is supposed to be an ultra right Nazi type, why is he playing computer games with huge amounts of gay and bisexual encounters?

Ever heard of Ernst Rohm?

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

From Dust may be getting delayed on the PC.

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/show...d.php?t=1992795

D2D UK is saying August 17th.

GamersGate is also listing August 17th.

http://www.gamersgate.com/DD-FD/from-dust

Confirmed

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-07-...ate-pushed-back

August 17. No explanation offered.

360 still sounds as if it'll be on track for tomorrow.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

ahhhhh it looks awesome. im not going to get too excited, but having spent much of the weekend playing frozen synapse, i see a lot of potential in this. i haven't played any games by kalypso, but they seem to have the chops to make this at least decent

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

The resemblance is quite odd...which makes me question something, this guy is supposed to be an ultra right Nazi type, why is he playing computer games with huge amounts of gay and bisexual encounters?

Ever heard of Ernst Rohm?

Hermann Goring was hardly 'conventional' either, though I've never actually checked* whether the cross dressing and such was allied propaganda. But most will take the view that Hitler espoused the 'canon' nazi line on gays which was pretty much the same view he had on everything he found distasteful.

*Actually, for all I know Rohm may not have been gay either and it all may have been Hitlerian anti SA slander.

Nah... but then, some of us are trying to actively forget this spin off game. Thanks for the reminder >_

Just kidding (except about the trying to forget part) :lol:

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

ahhhhh it looks awesome. im not going to get too excited, but having spent much of the weekend playing frozen synapse, i see a lot of potential in this. i haven't played any games by kalypso, but they seem to have the chops to make this at least decent

Hah, the intro has more similarities with the original game than the gameplay itself. :D

I could hear a few character voices from the oldgame though; Scully, Magic, Shadow, Red?, Igor and Thor. Could'nt remember the girls voice

Edited by Azdeus

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken