RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS THREAD!

You just need to go on Ebay and look at used PS2 games, for example. It's horrible movie and cartoon licence games galore.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Selling plates of cold poop.

What marketing is all about.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

(Yes, I admit, I did not buy it. I feel bad about it, ok?) :p

Why should you? (I understand that it was a joke, but still.)

Unless you pirated it. :shifty:

Since I spend an inordinate amount of time blabbering on their forums, I consider myself morally required to buy their games. Unfortunately, I didn't pick this one up since even after release and a couple of reviews, I simply have no idea what to really expect and whether I would like it. :p

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

You just need to go on Ebay and look at used PS2 games, for example. It's horrible movie and cartoon licence games galore.

Oh, and assorted sports and wrestling games. Smackdown this and that.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Should probably get DS3. Maybe when it's dirt cheap on a Steam sale. Not feeling bad about not buying it just because it's OE :shifty:

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Since I spend an inordinate amount of time blabbering on their forums, I consider myself morally required to buy their games. Unfortunately, I didn't pick this one up since even after release and a couple of reviews, I simply have no idea what to really expect and whether I would like it. :p

Uh, can't you simply play the demo and judge by yourself? :shifty:

Unless you have already. If you still don't know whether you'd like the full game I'm not sure what to tell you.

Bethesda won't rule out external development for Elder Scrolls

'I don't know, we kind of take it bit by bit. I mean New Vegas was unique: as a publisher, we wanted to do something with Obsidian; we knew we were moving on Elder Scrolls; they had a team available', Howard told Edge.

They gave us the pitch and we were like, 'That would be a really fun game'. But they had experience with the IP, and with Elder Scrolls we don't have that. I wouldn't rule that out, but generally with everything we want to keep it internal.

Edited by Bendu

Man, he is talking weired stuff again. Especially the last two sentences can be really confusing. My guess is: Obsidian had experience with Fallout, but with ES, nobody else except Bethesda has experience with it (development wise). Also they try to keep their shizzle together and don't give it out to other people if not really needed. No clue if I got it right now, though.

Edited by Lexx

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

And it's not like everyone at Bethesda has been working on ES games before Oblivion. There is always a first time and I think another collaboration between Bethesda and Obsidian would be a win-win-win situation, no matter the franchise. Pretty sure FNV has sold more than Brink and Hunted. So why is ZeniMax waiting?

Edited by Bendu

'I don't know, we kind of take it bit by bit. I mean New Vegas was unique: as a publisher, we wanted to do something with Obsidian; we knew we were moving on Elder Scrolls; they had a team available', Howard told Edge.

They gave us the pitch and we were like, 'That would be a really fun game'. But they had experience with the IP, and with Elder Scrolls we don't have that. I wouldn't rule that out, but generally with everything we want to keep it internal.

Actually I'd say he pretty much ruled it out with what he said. It's like when you start a sentence out with 'no offense' and then go on to say something offensive.

Uh, can't you simply play the demo and judge by yourself? :shifty:

Unless you have already. If you still don't know whether you'd like the full game I'm not sure what to tell you.

I remembered the demo a bit after my earlier post. I'll have to give it a try, been too busy to game.

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

Actually I'd say he pretty much ruled it out with what he said. It's like when you start a sentence out with 'no offense' and then go on to say something offensive.

Yup, totally agree.

Besides Obs would be a bad developer for an ES game anyway; they would focus too much on writing and story.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

If someone with some actual skills was hired to make a ES game, I might actually buy one. Not that I care about the lore or setting.

After FNV I would hope Zenimax actually got the balls to hire Obsidian to work on a new IP. It's not like Zenimax has that many IPs to play around with it...

Hate the living, love the dead.

Huh neat, GOG now was Normality, well ok, they put it out a couple days ago. Fun little adventure game. Their hidden gems promotion hasn't yielded anything particularly appealing of late, though.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

If someone with some actual skills was hired to make a ES game, I might actually buy one. Not that I care about the lore or setting.

After FNV I would hope Zenimax actually got the balls to hire Obsidian to work on a new IP. It's not like Zenimax has that many IPs to play around with it...

Oblivion had some really weak mechanics design and art direction/lore, not to mention the engine problems and bugs (though some of that was forgivable given the size of the game, not to mention that it's kind of an Elder Scrolls tradition), but I'd argue that saying that ES game have never been made by people with skills is really going too far.

Morrowind did an outstanding job at depicting an alien world and making you feel like a stranger in a strange land and Daggerfall was hugely ambitious, although it fell short of what it set to do.

Also Zenimax/Bethesda has been pushing quite a few new IPs compared to the competition lately. Brink, Hunted and Dishonored are all new IP. Brink, from what I've seen, has been performing well sales-wise despite the really poor critical reception and Hunted: the Demon's Forge was a flop all around. Dishonored looks like it's shaping up well, though who knows whether Arkane will have enough time to iron out the bugs (something that it's a bit of a problem with all of Bethesda's games, it appears). So I'd say that Bethesda actually hiring Obsidian is not as unlikely as you seem to think.

Edited by WorstUsernameEver

Morrowind did an outstanding job at depicting an alien world and making you feel like a stranger in a strange land and Daggerfall was hugely ambitious, although it fell short of what it set to do.

Daggerfall was ambitious yes, but most parts of the game were just bad, especially all the dungeons. Never played Morrowind, so can't comment on that.

Daggerfall was ambitious yes, but most parts of the game were just bad, especially all the dungeons. Never played Morrowind, so can't comment on that.

Buggy, I'd agree. You'd would have to define bad though. I thought they were some of the best dungeons ever done in an crpg.

Yup, totally agree.

Besides Obs would be a bad developer for an ES game anyway; they would focus too much on writing and story.

Considering Obsidian'd receive the Creation Engine and all assets on a silver platter like with FO:NV, why wouldn't they focus on writing and story? It wouldn't be impossible for them to develop a spin-off adventure for Elder Scrolls while Bethesda is developing Fallout 4 after Skyrim is released.

Although in this case it's more likely that Arkane instead would be hired - they're an internal studio + they have good experience with (pseudo) open-world games and are excellent at level design.

Edited by virumor

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

Yup, totally agree.

Considering Obsidian'd receive the Creation Engine and all assets on a silver platter like with FO:NV, why wouldn't they focus on writing and story? It wouldn't be impossible for them to develop a spin-off adventure for Elder Scrolls while Bethesda is developing Fallout 4 after Skyrim is released.

Sure. It'd be cool if Obs could do a more story focused version of an ES game or even an adventure game like Redguard.

I'm just thinking that since Obs' rep is good writing/story/character that wouldn't be Bethie's choice to work on an ES game since those things are of minimal importance in the ES game mechanics.

FO was always a bit more story-focused so the Obsidian choice seemed a bit more logical.

Buggy, I'd agree. You'd would have to define bad though. I thought they were some of the best dungeons ever done in an crpg.

Well bugs you mentioned, for my personal preference the dungeons were just way too big. Without that "anchor" spell you would have to find your way back out as well which was more than little annoying.

Just thought I'd mention that I'm reading the first Elder Scrolls novel while on holiday, it's very much like a massively expanded in-game book, Greg Keyes has a good grasp of the lore and his characters are decent.

My point is that it's not hard for someone to be creative within the restrictions of another person's world, the writing in this book trounces anything in Oblivion, in fact it makes me wonder why Bethesda don't outsource more of their script writing.

in fact it makes me wonder why Bethesda don't outsource more of their script writing.

I'd say because

a) Bethesda thinks their writing is better than it actually is.

b) they don't consider writing all that important to the ES game mechanics to begin with

Well bugs you mentioned, for my personal preference the dungeons were just way too big. Without that "anchor" spell you would have to find your way back out as well which was more than little annoying.

I always enjoyed the fact that they were so huge and you would invariably get lost. To my mind it's the way a dungeon should be. But having the recall spell kind of made the dungeon design sort of pointless

Edited by Slowtrain

Not feeling bad about not buying it just because it's OE :ermm:

Exactly. I buy games that interest me, who makes them is irrelevant.

Yeah I don't get that. I mean I get it as an overall philosophy, but you both spend a lot of time on the OE forums. Obsidian provides these forums for their fans (and a few trolls). If you enjoy these forums and want them to stick around, there is really only one way to show that, and that is buying their products. They are trying to run a business after all, not a social network.

Now I don't think that means you need to buy every one of their products, but I do think they all deserve your consideration. If their products really aren't worth your consideration, then I don't see why you would hang out here. Do you bring your own beer when you go to a bar?

I feel that most people are here because of Black Isle and Chris Avellone, I bet they don't give a damn about Obsidian as a company

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.