What are you playing now?

Playing some Dawn of War 2: Chaos Rising in the moment. Pretty good, better than the main game. Deeper gameplay and less repitative. Also for the very first time I am using the whole squad cast every once in a while and not only the same 4 over and over again.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

It is much better than the originial, although much much shorter. Same applies to Retribution. The plots are very cliched in both games though, even for the WH40k universe.

I wonder if they'll screw up Space Marine. It looks decent at the moment but is it different enough from other such games not to get called an another run of the mill tp shooter.

Edited by Drowsy Emperor

И погибе Српски кнез Лазаре,
И његова сва изгибе војска, 
Седамдесет и седам иљада;
Све је свето и честито било
И миломе Богу приступачно.

Retribution is what I want to play next. I've actually started with it two days ago, but then I've realized that it seems to build up on Chaos Rising, so I thought it's better to finish that one first. But what I've played from Retribution so far was more a mediocre experience. They changed the gameplay once again, the missions feel like always the same again, etc. Got a bad feeling about this, sadly.

Wasn't there talking about DoW3 going even more into this rts-rpg-thingy direction? Man, I just hope they will make it less repitative...

Edited by Lexx

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Chaos Rising is better than Retribution, that was my feeling as well.

Relic has been seriously slacking in their single player campaigns ever since Dawn of War, with the notable exception of the decent CoH campaign. Yet as you play their games its obvious that the single player experience is filler, basically the last thing they get around to but considering how expensive development is now I can't say I blame them too much as long as they deliver a good product.

The only one who can afford a fully fleshed out campaign these days is Blizzard, and even they did it with a higher price and by splitting the game in three separate titles.

I doubt it is really connected to that. It's just easier and faster to do this multiplayer maps with ai + story == new campaign!!11 Especially considering that this was introduced since Relic is adding more than only one playable faction to the games campaigns.

Example: DoW: Winter Assault had a real campaign, which also was pretty cool, imo. But Winter Assault also only got two playable factions (Imperials and Chaos(?)). Then came the next addon, Dark Crusade, which added the Tau and Necrons + what was there already in the main game and to give every faction some missions to play, they "dumbed down" the campaign structure and used this totally generic multiplayer map mission system. Soulstorm did the same... more factions and because players want to play singleplayer campaigns with their loved faction, they generalized the campaign again.

Looking at DoW2 now, it is exactly the same thing. Chaos Rising = one playable faction and a good campaign (so far). With Retribution, the campaign was once again extremely generalized, so you can play it with each of the many factions you can chose from. That's totally quantity instead of quality.

So... yeah. I am very certain they are able to create good and fully fleshed out campaigns. But only for one faction at once, not 5, 6, 7... For so many playable factions, they have to generalize the missions and maps in a campaign.

Edited by Lexx

If I wasn't working 100 hours a week, I'd be playing Deus Ex right now. Instead, taking fri-sun off to play HR. Grumble.

Yup, I pretty much told my boss I'm going to be incomunnicado this friday and weekend with Deus Ex. :lol:

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Why taking time off work to play ? No need to rush the thing, after all. I found my Rainbow Six Vegas 2 disc the other day, so played a bit of that. Have to love needing to unlock weapons and...uh..clothing, heh. Still is fun being a 3 man Space Marine team gunning down an invasion

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I doubt it is really connected to that. It's just easier and faster to do this multiplayer maps with ai + story == new campaign!!11 Especially considering that this was introduced since Relic is adding more than only one playable faction to the games campaigns.

Example: DoW: Winter Assault had a real campaign, which also was pretty cool, imo. But Winter Assault also only got two playable factions (Imperials and Chaos(?)). Then came the next addon, Dark Crusade, which added the Tau and Necrons + what was there already in the main game and to give every faction some missions to play, they "dumbed down" the campaign structure and used this totally generic multiplayer map mission system. Soulstorm did the same... more factions and because players want to play singleplayer campaigns with their loved faction, they generalized the campaign again.

Looking at DoW2 now, it is exactly the same thing. Chaos Rising = one playable faction and a good campaign (so far). With Retribution, the campaign was once again extremely generalized, so you can play it with each of the many factions you can chose from. That's totally quantity instead of quality.

So... yeah. I am very certain they are able to create good and fully fleshed out campaigns. But only for one faction at once, not 5, 6, 7... For so many playable factions, they have to generalize the missions and maps in a campaign.

Winter Assault is Order and Chaos (Basically Imp's and Eldar vs Chaos and Orks). And their campaigns for DoW2 and Chaos Rising are actually fairly well done, it's just that I think they feel they have to do a campaign for every faction later on, so they just make it cut and paste.

The only thing that's kept Retribution on my computer has been the Last Stand setting for multiplayer.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Why taking time off work to play ? No need to rush the thing, after all. I found my Rainbow Six Vegas 2 disc the other day, so played a bit of that. Have to love needing to unlock weapons and...uh..clothing, heh. Still is fun being a 3 man Space Marine team gunning down an invasion

Coz I make my own work schedule, good games make me want to finish them in one sitting, and I had a Sunday off in June when I had food poisoning - ie. I need a break before I go postal, and poking some people with elbow blades in a game seems like a good idea.

(typoedit)

Edited by Nepenthe

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

Still playing Gran Turismo 5... I purchased Logitech Driving Force GT and enjoying new style of awesome play :lol: I just did tried my first A-Spec Endurance race... Man it was realy crazy... 60 laps of Grand Valley Speedway in 2 hours and 3 minutes of concentration of not making any mistakes!!! Of course that was just a plan, I did missed some braking and got out of the track, especially when the tires got more used :p Last 12 laps was really crazy, absolute lack of concentration... after 1 hour and 45 mins on track... I had to drop the max speed to be sure to stay on track...

The car was Trial CELICA SS-II (ZZT231) '03, with all upgrades and Racing Soft tires. (they need to be changed in pits every 15 minutes)

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

IMG_1230.jpg

wordpress image hosting

I caved in. Fifteen euros.

Going from the top left: box, art book, graphic novel.

Bottom: mouse pad, dvd box, figurine.

Edited by Drowsy Emperor

It's pretty, but don't install the game itself.

LOL

Any particular reason for that apart from the fact its half dead?

Edited by Drowsy Emperor

i think the longer morgoth has that avatar, the more angry and cynical he gets. :lol:

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

I expect it can't be very good when it failed so bad but I'm interested to know why.

And what's the general consensus on Rift?

Edited by Drowsy Emperor

I expect it can't be very good when it failed so bad but I'm interested to know why.

And what's the general consensus on Rift?

i didnt play it (Rift), but i think hurlshot liked it and just recently stopped playing it. he had some posts about it back when it was first released

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

Rift is fantastic, I played it for quite a few months and logged a lot of hours. It is definitely a WoW-type MMO, but it does so extremely well. I thought I remember you not digging WoW though, so it might be for you.

WAR Online was actually a decent game, but it relies heavily on having a good population and having a good network of friends. I played at release, but if the servers are really ghost towns now, I don't imagine it will be much fun. It did a couple cool things, but it seemed like it got stretched too thin.

It's funny, Rift took all the decent things about WAR and fixed them.

Rift is fantastic, I played it for quite a few months and logged a lot of hours. It is definitely a WoW-type MMO, but it does so extremely well. I thought I remember you not digging WoW though, so it might be for you.

WAR Online was actually a decent game, but it relies heavily on having a good population and having a good network of friends. I played at release, but if the servers are really ghost towns now, I don't imagine it will be much fun. It did a couple cool things, but it seemed like it got stretched too thin.

It's funny, Rift took all the decent things about WAR and fixed them.

I played WoW for a fun 20 days of soloing to level 52, but the pretty world design could not salvage the incessant grind and boring quests that made the meat of the gameplay.

I assume with friends it would have been much better but there were none actively playing at the time.

I'm just curious about Rift as it seem so popular now, I can't really afford a subscription based game right now. I'll try out WAR at some point, apparently both it and AoC have a lot of new subs after going ftp.

I'm most interested in AoC because of your recommendations and most importantly the free form combat. Apart from the nice graphics that's the biggest draw for me. If its anything like the old game Rune I'm likely to enjoy it a lot.

I also tried Guild Wars which was ugly and boring. :lol:

Haven't tried AION but I'm not particularly drawn to it.

I think boo needs an intervention, this is getting out of hand. You could get Human Revolution for ~$30 a few days back.

You know how my graphics card was half fried? Well it still is. Works okay for undemanding games but chokes and dies on the new stuff most of the time. No fun at all. And no cash to replace it.

Am considering an ATI Radeon 5670 or some such, but I need to get the moneys first.