MonkeyLungs plays the demo ... yeah who the f cares.

No you can't, because I actually posted proof :lol:

Thers a difference in how a map is built and presented regarding the available space and perception of the user. You posted a map of a corridor. Nothing else in relevance to the actual size or how its structured or what sense of scale it uses.

Proof can be looked at very differently from person to person. Zilch.

Edit: Actually we went away from the point I originally wanted to make. I give up before I'm just saying things I don't want to. Feel mighty if you want.

http://www.deadbuzzard.net/Azunite_Desert_copy.jpg

Here's another picture...dots are enemies/characters/ect. Now you have scale too :lol:

Proof is proof...and you have none, zero, zilch, nada.

You are just a fanboy who refuses to be truthful (or is just ignorant).

Thers a difference in how a map is built and presented regarding the available space and perception of the user. You posted a map of a corridor. Nothing else in relevance to the actual size or how its structured or what sense of scale it uses.

Edit: Actually we went away from the point I originally wanted to make. I give up before I'm just saying things I don't want to. Feel mighty if you want.

Here's another picture...dots are enemies/characters/ect. Now you have scale too :lol:

The FACT is the Dungeon Siege demo had very constrained corridor like areas that basically got you from point a to b as fast as possible. The older games, while had their share of linear paths too, also had areas that had a lot of space and multiple interconnected paths. In addition, the older games had a lot of secret areas that weren't just a little alcove off the road, but mini dungeons and other hidden areas.

There was none of that in the DS3 demo. Maybe in the full game, but not in the demo.

I never talked about the Azunite Desert to be honest nor was the point (Point beeing there were small and similiar linear areas in the previous DS), so? That is also pretty irrelevant at the moment as you said yourself with not knowing what awaits after the demo.

I'll stop arguing anyway. I don't think you have a obsession with arguing with me so what does it matter, no?

Edited by C2B

The scale is the same as the first map genius. How about you just admit you were wrong and stop arguing such a clearly dishonest position?

No it isn't.

But yeah, I stop arguing and I do not admit that I'm wrong because I don't have a reason too. :lol:

Or do you need some kind of confirmation? oo

Gotta side with revenant here, obviously. Nobody is arguing that original DS games let you go anywhere from the start, they were still very much linear, but they did have big, open maps, which I was worried DS3 won't by what OP reported.

I didn't argue that too. They did have big areas (not really open though I'd argue that) but just that there were also similiar linear areas in the original.

Well we'll see anyway. Good night^^.

Edited by C2B

The scale is the same as the first map genius. How about you just admit you were wrong and stop arguing such a clearly dishonest position?

No it isn't.

But yeah, I stop arguing and I do not admit that I'm wrong because I'm not. :lol:

It absolutely is, all the map pictures are taken the same exact way. It's the same exact scale.

You are wrong and I have now proven it 3 ways with hard evidence.

Keep on digging your hole though...it's pretty funny at this point.

Gotta side with revenant here, obviously. Nobody is arguing that original DS games let you go anywhere from the start, they were still very much linear, but they did have big, open maps, which I was worried DS3 won't by what OP reported.

It's not even close...I've played the demo and the term corridor is exactly how the maps are setup.

Like what has been said in this thread before the originals aren't some open world game or anything, but compared to the DS3 demo it's a huge difference. It's not just space either...there was more to do in that area as well. I didn't find any dungeons, hidden chambers, ect in the demo at all. I used to love find a level in a ruin in DS2 and seeing a platform take you down into a mini dungeon...fun stuff.

Does it open up in the full game? Do they add more of these cool secret areas too? Guess we will have to wait and see though :D

Edited by Renevent

Edit: Ahhh, I already said I stop. I'm done. Too much headaches.

Edit2: Just,... I wasn't talking about the same meaning of scale you are apparently.

Edited by C2B

Edit: Ahhh, I already said I stop. I'm done. Too much headaches.

Edit2: Just,... I wasn't talking about the same meaning of scale you are apparently.

Don't think too hard, might hurt your head lol.

And what scale are you referring to? Fish scales?

I would imagine it's quite pointless to compare map sizes from two full games + expansions to a short demo of the newest game... In the end both games will be more or less corridors since none of DS games are meant to be a fully open game like Oblivion or Fallout.

Hate the living, love the dead.

I would imagine it's quite pointless to compare map sizes from two full games + expansions to a short demo of the newest game... In the end both games will be more or less corridors since none of DS games are meant to be a fully open game like Oblivion or Fallout.

It's quite easy to compare, actually. There is clear differences even at the very begging of DS2. DS3 is much more confined and the general design behind it's map is clearly different than DS2.

So no, both games (as it stand now) are not 'more or less' the same...well ok maybe it is. The originals were more and the new one is less.

Maybe this changes in the full game. Perhaps this is just some tutorial level in the demo...I sure hope so.

It's not a deal breaker for me either way, but kinda just a little disappointing.

Edited by Renevent

Incidentally, I think the abundance of corridors in DS3 and in many current games is actually a problem with devs creating areas that the 360 and the PS3 can render without seriously scaling down the graphics.

See for example GTAIV or Risen for examples of what happens when you take an open ended game and scale it back to perform acceptably on the consoles.

GTA IV and Red dead look really good. Also as far as maps go ... Sacred 2 says hi.

Incidentally, I think the abundance of corridors in DS3 and in many current games is actually a problem with devs creating areas that the 360 and the PS3 can render without seriously scaling down the graphics.

See for example GTAIV or Risen for examples of what happens when you take an open ended game and scale it back to perform acceptably on the consoles.

GTA IV and Red dead look really good. Also as far as maps go ... Sacred 2 says hi.

Compared to the PC version, GTAIV looks horrible. Ditto for Risen.

Red Dead Redemption doesn't have a PC version, so there isn't a point of comparison.

Sacred 2 doesn't sport particularly demanding graphics.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

man, this game looks sweet...

if it plays like a fantasy version of Alpha Protocol but with a combat that makes sense, I'm sold :shifty:

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

Alice: Madness Returns comes out on the same day and I'll be getting that title on release.

traitor :shifty:

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

It looks okay, but unfortunately Alice: Madness Returns comes out on the same day and I'll be getting that title on release. So I'll wait a bit with this one.

pc or console? are you in the usa? cause i think this comes out a week after alice on consoles here in the us..

Wait, DS open maps (one of the few strong points of the games) are gone and replaced by cramped corridors like in pretty much every console game? For real?

Seriously?

When in the world had DS open maps? It was a corridor game from the beginning. You mean that everything was on one map? Yeah, thats also the case here. DS was NEVER EVER open world.

Heh... I know this subject has been beaten to death, but I just wanted to say that this isn't correct (in a less hateful way than Renevent, I guess, heh). The Multiplayer map (Utrean Peninsula) that came with DS1 was an open ended map (for the most part... some caves/dungeons were linear, but there was always a way around them if you didn't want to take them). The map was huge, too... On par with Sacred 2 I would say. That being said, however, I never expected DS3 to be an open ended world. The cramped corridors don't really bother me, to be honest. =P

Edited by hopfrog16

Wait, DS open maps (one of the few strong points of the games) are gone and replaced by cramped corridors like in pretty much every console game? For real?

Seriously?

When in the world had DS open maps? It was a corridor game from the beginning. You mean that everything was on one map? Yeah, thats also the case here. DS was NEVER EVER open world.

Heh... I know this subject has been beaten to death, but I just wanted to say that this isn't correct (in a less hateful way than Renevent, I guess, heh). The Multiplayer map (Utrean Peninsula) that came with DS1 was an open ended map (for the most part... some caves/dungeons were linear, but there was always a way around them if you didn't want to take them). The map was huge, too... On par with Sacred 2 I would say. That being said, however, I never expected DS3 to be an open ended world. The cramped corridors don't really bother me, to be honest. =P

And to top that: It sported non-euclidean geometry so you could have different full-blown maps (such as Utraean Peninsula) interconnected with teleporters.

The Siege Engine allowed ease on the assets plus a very interesting way to design maps.

The original map in the Dungeon Siege demo was up to Stonebridge (dev_name: Besieged Town), and instead of being a corridor, it was a linear series of wide open spaces up to the crypts

first farmhouses plateau->corridor to bridge->two plateaus with farmhouse, phrak ballista boss, a bear cave with a living bear bearing the game's FIRST MAGICAL ITEM EVER!!! Altan's Leather (+health, good Armor, worth using until the mines and maybe some more), a small lake on the lower corridor->corridor to edgar's house->edgar's basement with krug scavenger boss->Corridor with a cave branch leading to a krug scout boss->broken bridge with a branch below the waterfall to some gold->forest area with alpha grey wolf->corridor to krug camp->krug camp->corridor to crypts, along with a smaller crypt containing a skeleton ambush with the awesome Puller Staff as a loot(Second magical item EVAR), ->crypt graveyards->crypts sporting at least two hidden buttons/levers and the first magical bow(Heart Stopper) coming from the end boss, the mighty ruby gargoyle.

->

From then you get to the outer graveyard,meet some nasty black skrubbs (they deal tons of damage)->Descending to the tower (beautiful panorama), the tower has the shaman boss, with possible magical item drops->continuing to the Krug Siege Camp->Krug Siege Camp with plenty of hidden stuff on the shore(Yes there is a shore)->Then you got to stonebridge.

As for the Utraean Peninsula, It was great, however there was only one good route to follow which closely resembled the first game's progression of enemies. (farms, crypts, places with krug grunts and chuckers->spider dungeon->route to mines->Second Town (mining town) There was however a motherload of side areas to visit.

In dungeon siege 2 some people imported the whole friggin Utraean Peninsula, with monster level scaling, and custom maps. It was finished recently, got it's own music pack (the add-on) and is needless to say loaded with awesome.

Let's see if ds3 with it's sparkly engine can match these feats as well.

Edited by Monokli

Compared to the PC version, GTAIV looks horrible. Ditto for Risen.

Red Dead Redemption doesn't have a PC version, so there isn't a point of comparison.

Sacred 2 doesn't sport particularly demanding graphics.

They are better than DS3 graphics on Xbox 360 at least. I've been playing both this morning.

There are better graphics on the 360, that wasn't really my point.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat: