What you did today

Gorth

Blowing a total headgasket at work. I spent 30 minutes talking to some guys who work on my field in an insurance company, and it was more fulfilling than the 2,5 years I've spent working on my doctorate here at the university. I'm this close to just skipping in the end of August, even if it means landing on the dole, I've just ****ing had it with this place.

Case in point: apparently the office I was given is now considered "too good" for someone of my status, and there are these slimy postdocs eyeing it up practically daily. One of our guru professors is moving into the office next to mine, so apparently there is going to be a huge fight over who gets the best ass-kissing position.

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

Blowing a total headgasket at work. I spent 30 minutes talking to some guys who work on my field in an insurance company, and it was more fulfilling than the 2,5 years I've spent working on my doctorate here at the university. I'm this close to just skipping in the end of August, even if it means landing on the dole, I've just ****ing had it with this place.

Case in point: apparently the office I was given is now considered "too good" for someone of my status, and there are these slimy postdocs eyeing it up practically daily. One of our guru professors is moving into the office next to mine, so apparently there is going to be a huge fight over who gets the best ass-kissing position.

But your rage is making you powerful...

;)

Seriously, mate. Stick to your guns.

By Arthur Hugh Clough

SAY not the struggle naught availeth,

The labour and the wounds are vain,

The enemy faints not, nor faileth,

And as things have been they remain.

If hopes were dupes, fears may be liars; 5

It may be, in yon smoke conceal'd,

Your comrades chase e'en now the fliers,

And, but for you, possess the field.

For while the tired waves, vainly breaking,

Seem here no painful inch to gain, 10

Far back, through creeks and inlets making,

Comes silent, flooding in, the main.

And not by eastern windows only,

When daylight comes, comes in the light;

In front the sun climbs slow, how slowly! 15

But westward, look, the land is bright!

Edited by Walsingham

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Quote for the day : "So how's life treating you?" "Like it caught me sleeping with its wife."

Tis being a somewhat grey, wet and miserable seeming day... My sister's home sick, and I took the puppy outside for some exercise, kept a careful eye on the grass to avoid any mess..and subsequently didn't notice that he'd taken a dump on the pavement which I managed to step in. ;)

Poking around on some wiki and google searches. Pondering the best approach to hunt down some decade+ old newspaper articles. Minor headache being a little distracting but not too much bother.

Think I need to treat myself to a new mouse mat as well... hm, which reminds me I need to do some banking related activities at some point...

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

We get a coffee maker to demo, then an email comes out telling us to not use it. Pretty typical behaviour for my company, heh. Is a nice day out, think I'll walk the 4 miles home, and hopefully avoid being mugged.

Edited by Malcador

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I just checked my spam e-mails and I got my very first scam-mail. It claims to be from the FBI regarding debts owed to me by the government of Nigeria.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

I just checked my spam e-mails and I got my very first scam-mail. It claims to be from the FBI regarding debts owed to me by the government of Nigeria.

Back in time when I could still be bothered (these days I just pass them on to spamcop.net), I would "cross the wires" between scammers and put them in touch with each other. They are not the only ones who can fake email headers> I hope they had fun with each other :ermm:

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

spent the weekend at my gf's

her cats have really taken a liking to me, but i'm not sure if it's a good thing or not, as they keep waking me up in the middle of the night because they want attention.

i'll be off in my blissful slumber when all of a sudden i get smacked in the face with a paw and as soon as i open my eyes i have a cat purring very loudly in my ear

when your mind works against you - fight back with substance abuse!

You can almost hear it thinking Wake up and pay attention to me! -_-

Feeling strangely listless and uninspired today. Maybe it's the short winter days? Went down to the cafe downstairs for a large Mocha. With caffeine, chocolate and cream it should cover all basic food groups.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Guest The Architect

It's not a scam, we owe you. Just PM me your credit card details, so I can pay you what you're entitled to and clear our debt.

Well the weather's cleared up today. The dogs keep being playful, and the day is sliding along..

Hm, from my assorted reading I'm coming to various conclusions on my research. As a political statement as it were, and the perception to the public at large people were pretty satisfied with the whole Death of a Drug Kingpin when Pablo got whacked.

However, the way the hunt for him drove the Cali Cartel deeper into columbian government, how little it actually effected the flow of drugs..and hell, the fact that over the next year the cost of drugs decreased.. pretty sure that didn't really satisfy on practical levels.

Now I just have to figure out how to say that in a proper professional/academic manner whilst providing proper sources that led me to those conclusions... :shifty:

There's nothing like a deadline to make time slip away from you... :p

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Did 40 ascents of hill stamping today. This equates to roughly 5600 ft, and certainly more than Ben Nevis, the highest mountain in the UK, which stands at 4,400 ft!

Who'd have thought that just a year ago I'd have been basically chairbound?

Also, while climbing tackled business problem in my head. Yeah baby, yeah!

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Yeah, so I'm getting kicked out of my office for one of the two biggest d-bags in the faculty. (Administrative) Boss's brilliant idea was to put me in the same room with the Ex (who's going to be on maternity leave ad infinitum, apparently). I think I managed to dodge that, I have too many good memories of that particular room to spoil even those. :ermm:

Told my advisor I'm probably going to need a couple of mental health months after I turn this in, I'm close to the Edge:

the_edge.jpg

What kind of ****ing halfwit would put you in an office with your romantic ex?

-Elwood Blues

Maybe he expects hilarity to ensue.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

She's either a sadist or we managed to keep it concealed better than we thought. :ermm:

I'm guessing the former, because in my experience all women are sadists. :p

Edited by Nepenthe

Bad idea for the day: extract revenge on your boss by plotting an inappropriate omantic entanglement for her.

-Elwood Blues

Woke up to a storm, and a freaked out dachshund. Supposedly we're due for one during the day here, but sadly it's sunny and clear out. Bah.

She's either a sadist or we managed to keep it concealed better than we thought. :p

Is she a hot sadist? :)

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

She's either a sadist or we managed to keep it concealed better than we thought. :p

Is she a hot sadist? :)

^ Thanks for cutting to the heart of the matter!

sonsofgygax.JPG

Well, I had quite an eventful day! A friend of mine walked through a double-glazed window, because he thought it was an open door. The glass gave him a pretty deep and pretty nasty looking cut that ran from his wrist to his elbow - we got some bandage on the wound quickly, while I was keeping pressure on the gushing cut. Luckily the glass missed a major artery and we got him to a hospital in time to save his arm. He'll regain full mobility in 2 months time.

As the ambulance drove off I had a chance to look I myself - my arms were, no ****, covered in blood from shoulder to fingertips.. I looked like a bloody axemurderer..

Fortune favors the bald.

There really is no clever way to injure oneself

И погибе Српски кнез Лазаре,
И његова сва изгибе војска, 
Седамдесет и седам иљада;
Све је свето и честито било
И миломе Богу приступачно.

There really is no clever way to injure oneself

What about repetitive strain injury from writing complex equations?

-Elwood Blues

I like to think most of my self-injuries have been 'inventive' at the very least. Who here has ever gotten a facial scar from slicing an apple?

This guy!

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."